shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique Victorian Opal and Diamond Ring--Need advice!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Just saw this at the local antique store and wanted folks to weigh in on of $14500 asking price is fair. I think it's lovely but don't know very much about opals or antiques, and considering this for an engagement ring.

From the store's description, "This Victorian ring was handmade with 18KT yellow gold and silver. A fantastic prong-set 2.20 carat, oval, cabochon-cut white opal is surrounded with a stunning row of old European-cut diamonds. The diamonds weigh .45 total carats, with a VS2-SI1 clarity and H-I color. A lovely bow accents the top of the ring."

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait. As in fourteen thousand five hundred dollars?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Haha yep, a steep $14,500.00 dollars.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a ridiculous price.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think I can comment on the price, but I just want to say to be mindful that opal is in general a pretty risky stone for an engagement ring, it can get damaged in daily wear. But a Victorian ring like that is extra risky because the metal will be worn thin over the years and a few hard knocks could send those antique diamonds flying. It is a stunningly gorgeous ring and would look absolutely amazing and romantic as an engagement ring, but you do have to keep the risks in mind.

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Whoops! I just realized you not only found the Color Stone forum but have posted your inquiry in *the thread I linked*. Hopefully you'll get some feedback soon!

Gerald Carroll

Rough_Rock
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Just saw this at the local antique store and wanted folks to weigh in on of $14500 asking price is fair. I think it's lovely but don't know very much about opals or antiques, and considering this for an engagement ring.

From the store's description, "This Victorian ring was handmade with 18KT yellow gold and silver. A fantastic prong-set 2.20 carat, oval, cabochon-cut white opal is surrounded with a stunning row of old European-cut diamonds. The diamonds weigh .45 total carats, with a VS2-SI1 clarity and H-I color. A lovely bow accents the top of the ring."
Hello, I am new in the forum. Your stones are very beautiful. I would love to give one of them to friend.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Whoops! I just realized you not only found the Color Stone forum but have posted your inquiry in *the thread I linked*. Hopefully you'll get some feedback soon!
---

Thank you! I've gotten some great feedback from there as well regarding this opal perhaps not having great "play of color".

Will listen to the experts and not buy this one. Much appreciate your advice!!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, I am new in the forum. Your stones are very beautiful. I would love to give one of them to friend.
--

Hi, thank you, but they are not actually mine (I wish!). I'm just shopping for an engagement ring so these are photos from the website or photos I've taken on my own.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think I can comment on the price, but I just want to say to be mindful that opal is in general a pretty risky stone for an engagement ring, it can get damaged in daily wear. But a Victorian ring like that is extra risky because the metal will be worn thin over the years and a few hard knocks could send those antique diamonds flying. It is a stunningly gorgeous ring and would look absolutely amazing and romantic as an engagement ring, but you do have to keep the risks in mind.
---
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm quite a clumsy person and think I may not be the best person to wear this beautiful treasure--I may easily chip the opal and that would be quite sad. Best to avoid an easy accident!

Landen

Rough_Rock
Despite the fact that the ring is in perfect conditions, the price looks to expensive...

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a lovely ring. I agree with the other posters who think it is way overpriced. I wouldn't even try to negotiate because I think it is ridiculously high.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Opals are a soft stone (Mohos 6.5) so they can scratch, chip or crack easily. They aren't suited for everyday wear ie engagement ring, more so your "very special occasion" ring. The opal is a white, the least valuable of all the variations and is the ring original Victorian (should have appropriate hallmarks on the ring shank) or a modern interpretation of the style? Either way $14,500 is vastly overpriced in my opinion. I'm inclined to assume it's a modern interpretation because that style say Georgian to me (late 1800s) and in that case an original ring would have silver for the white metal as white gold didn't exist back then.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Opals are a soft stone (Mohos 6.5) so they can scratch, chip or crack easily. They aren't suited for everyday wear ie engagement ring, more so your "very special occasion" ring. The opal is a white, the least valuable of all the variations and is the ring original Victorian (should have appropriate hallmarks on the ring shank) or a modern interpretation of the style? Either way $14,500 is vastly overpriced in my opinion. I'm inclined to assume it's a modern interpretation because that style say Georgian to me (late 1800s) and in that case an original ring would have silver for the white metal as white gold didn't exist back then.

Thanks for weighing in! That ring sold the last time I peeked at the store's inventory. I believe it was silver topped gold and that it was an original Victorian piece. I was prepared to offer $10000 at most after hearing back from everyone re the ring being overpriced but the store did not accept that price, although I suspect even that price was perhaps higher than what most people would pay for it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results