shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Light blue/violet sapphire with Sparkle!

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Hi all -

I'm looking for some advice on a sapphire for an e-ring and would appreciate any input since I'm totally new to this. I'm having a lot of trouble imagining how the gem will look just from photos.

I'm looking for a round sapphire, light-medium blue/violet. No gray or green. I'm looking for a gem that sparkles (no silk). Would like stay under $7k. Ok with heat.Here are a few I've been considering

https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1174

http://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/sapphire/mj8846-sapphire-3-21ct-gia/ (might be a bit big for my small hands?)

https://www.johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-Sapphire4744.html

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there! :wavey:
It shouldn't be to hard to find something great, within your budget.
It looks like most of the ones you posted are more blue than purple (except that last one with the high price tag).

I like the gemfix one best out of your options. I do not like the johndyer one. That looks too dark and like it's lacking in the sparkle department. I'll try and post later with some more options.

Gemfix looks a bit grey, more sky blue and surely not purple (sorry elle to disagree)
JohnDyer looks like an adventure, perhaps not advisable for the beginner but I would sure love to see this cut!!!
The africagem-gem looks more purple than blue, or perhaps a colorchanger?
The Jeff davis looks great, except it is heated, so I wouldn't want it.

I think you need to look some more.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! Yes I am looking for something more on the purple side than blue, would love a color change option!

@elle_71125 the colors are spot on! The round gem would be perfect if it were bigger...looking for something 2 carats or above since I want a solitaire setting.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all! Yes I am looking for something more on the purple side than blue, would love a color change option!

@elle_71125 the colors are spot on! The round gem would be perfect if it were bigger...looking for something 2 carats or above since I want a solitaire setting.

The sapphire already set into a ring would make a great solitaire. I know it's technically a cushion but it looks pretty rounded and it's nice and big. You could always pop it out of that setting and sell the setting on LT or Diamond Bistro.

Just making sure you know your options. :D

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Thanks Elle! The size is great but I do have my heart set on a round sapphire.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Hi! I've been looking for awhile now and still can't find anything that fits. @elle_71125 I love the one you posted above, it's just a bit too small. Looking for something between 7-8mm

I like this one as well but it's too big :(
https://www.starruby.in/store/ceylo...nd-unheated-vivid-violet-sapphire-from-ceylon

I'm staring to feel a bit hopeless and given that we have a timeline for our engagement, seems like I may have to settle :( if anyone has any advice or other stones I may have not seen, I would but super grateful!

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Ps also open to sparkly light lavender sapphires

Has the starruby gem the wrong report? that IGI photo looks 100% different or is the photo wrong? Looks like different gems.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
@elle_71125 I did see that! It's beautiful but I have my heart set on a sapphire engagement ring.

@Sabrina31 thank you for thinking of me! The color is a bit too dark though for what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

coralee87

Rough_Rock
@HotPozzum yeah, I have my heart set on a round light lavender or violet sapphire that's 7-8mm :(

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
coralee: your specifications are seemingly really limiting you. At this point, I would find a big Intergem show and ask some of the high end vendors there to bring some in for you to see. Otherwise, I'd start now to work with a vendor who will attend the Tucson show and can likely find you exactly what you seek. It just seems that you may have limited yourself to not being able to find anything online that meets your parameters...:cry:

coralee87

Rough_Rock
@minousbijoux thanks, I know I think i am limiting myself. I'm pretty set on gem, shape and size. But I am more open to color - light blues (with no gray or green) to light pinks.

We have an intergem show in San mateo I was planning to check out, but I was advised from other PSers to not buy unless I had an expert eye because quality/price varies and you can easily be scammed and things are hard to return.

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
@minousbijoux thanks, I know I think i am limiting myself. I'm pretty set on gem, shape and size. But I am more open to color - light blues (with no gray or green) to light pinks.

We have an intergem show in San mateo I was planning to check out, but I was advised from other PSers to not buy unless I had an expert eye because quality/price varies and you can easily be scammed and things are hard to return.

Hi coralee! I've been following your thread with interest, as I have also been on the hunt for a perfect sapphire (in a different thread about a round blue) and was surprised to find out how difficult it can be when you have something very specific in mind. After several exchanges with Jeff Hapeman at Earth's Treasury, including him sending me two potential stones and me sending them back, he offered to help me source a stone. So far he's turned up three stones from his contacts that I couldn't find myself through the online stores, as well as two I had seen but didn't get a response back on when I inquired about them. At least two of the stones look like great options (and one that he found that I hadn't seen before looks like it's almost a perfect match to my ideal). He's having three stones sent to him then he's going to take comparison pics and video in hopes that I can downselect to one or two stones to have sent to me. Anyway, I'm not sure if he regularly offers this service, but it might be worth reaching out to him as an alternative to trying to buy at a trade show. He's super responsive and provides really helpful considerations for assessing each stone. I've found him to be objective in his own analysis relative to my own preferences, even for his own stones that he has a high interest in selling.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi coralee! I've been following your thread with interest, as I have also been on the hunt for a perfect sapphire (in a different thread about a round blue) and was surprised to find out how difficult it can be when you have something very specific in mind. After several exchanges with Jeff Hapeman at Earth's Treasury, including him sending me two potential stones and me sending them back, he offered to help me source a stone. So far he's turned up three stones from his contacts that I couldn't find myself through the online stores, as well as two I had seen but didn't get a response back on when I inquired about them. At least two of the stones look like great options (and one that he found that I hadn't seen before looks like it's almost a perfect match to my ideal). He's having three stones sent to him then he's going to take comparison pics and video in hopes that I can downselect to one or two stones to have sent to me. Anyway, I'm not sure if he regularly offers this service, but it might be worth reaching out to him as an alternative to trying to buy at a trade show. He's super responsive and provides really helpful considerations for assessing each stone. I've found him to be objective in his own analysis relative to my own preferences, even for his own stones that he has a high interest in selling.

It would be helpful to know what he charges for this service, as there may be quite a few who are willing to do this for a fee.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
That is super helpful, thanks! And I second @minousbijoux question about service charges on sourcing - I have no idea how much extra that may cost.

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
@minousbijoux - that's a good question and one I should find out! I just kind of assumed that it wasn't much or he would have mentioned it - but that's probably a pretty newb assumption =)2. I can't compare to the Roger Dery stones as Roger doesn't list his prices online, but the most recent stone he sent me a pic of today was extremely reasonable given the specs. I get the sense that he's working with friends (he did say he's good friends with Roger) so it could be that they are doing some share/split on their end. I will find out for this forum, though.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked for something this colour for years, in sapphire or spinel, without limitations in terms of size (other than over 6mm) or shape. I will say that you are very unlikely to find a light lavender without any grey in any lighting. Since you're open to light pink, I think you'll have better luck finding something with your specifications in that colour.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
@NKOTB I remember your violet sapphire ring (actually saved it for reference) and it is absolutely gorgeous. I'm open to light pink and I'm also open to light/med blue (with purple undertones ideally) but still haven't found anything in the shape/size. le sigh.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Earth Treasury one is pretty but has quite a bit of grey. It'll show more indoors, in my experience. If you're from the US, it's got an added cool factor of being from there.

Have you checked with Julia B? She often has stones that aren't on her site, and her prices are pretty reasonable. She doesn't like selling them loose, though, so you'd have to want to go with one of her settings.

coralee87

Rough_Rock
Ahh thanks @NKOTB!

Thanks for the Julia B suggestion, but her design is not quite my style. I'd prefer to buy a loose gem!

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Have you considered getting a stone commissioned? Jeff White is a perennial favorite around here, and he recently posted a parcel of Umba sapphire rough on Facebook. Looks like he has quite a few pieces in the lavender/violet/blue-violet range!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results