shape
carat
color
clarity

Price of this diamond ($6,740 for a 1.58J) Reasonable? a deal? or I have paid too much?

blingblingdiamond

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,

If you have watched my other threads, you would know I have purchased a 1.58 J diamond. The GG said the SB fluoro cause very slight haziness but almost unnoticeable with layman's eyes (lets assume we cant notice the haziness here). As it's very close to the end of the 30 days return policy, I wonder if I should keep it. Do you think it is considered to be an ideal cut diamond? I have paid $6,740 for this 1.58J diamond after PS discount and around 1.5% for the cash back. Do you think its a deal? or its just right? or I have paid too much? Thank you so much!

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3071055

Here is the IS Image:
upload_2017-7-16_14-1-12.png
GIA Cert:
cert.jpg
Under the loupe:
upload_2017-6-30_0-58-58.png

Handshot (the bottom one):
upload_2017-7-26_12-38-7.png

Fire shot (the top one):
19984193_10156571994437715_8612821334692853384_o.jpg

Attachments

• cert.jpg
    cert.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 12

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you love it? Does it make your heart sing?

pakman912

Rough_Rock
The strong blue fluorescence makes the stone seem a bit hazy. GIA cert shows feathering and cavity right in middle of table. Not sure if it'll be eye clean, should post better quality photos under different lighting.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not super ideal cut, but then again, it's not priced like one! It's beautiful and the price is great - taking a quick look at JA I didn't see any others except this but it looks to have a grey undertone, which isn't desirable: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3157577. However you need to love it and if you don't send it back...there will be others, it just takes time.

Super ideal for example: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3811437.htm

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Trades people are not allowed to criticize or recommend other vendors stones. So my comments are general.
First, Whitewave's comments are on point. You are looking at the stone, so you can satisfy yourself if you love the stone.
With regard to the haziness issue, yes it is often subtle and not noticeable to casual observer. That said, you seem to be interested in the light performance of your diamond as you have asked whether this is considered an ideal cut. Any haziness will scatter some light and diminish overall light performance. Having said that, if the haziness ONLY comes from the strong fluorescence, it will rarely be a problem as most lighting environments, even those with fluoro tubes, will not contain strong enough UV to activate the fluoro effect.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see apparent haziness with this diamond. The proportions are excellent, not super ideal, but great nonetheless! I think the flouro definitely helps the color and it appears to be a bright stone. The inclusions seem pretty small, but you alone can be the judge if it is eyeclean enough for you. I definitely think that you got a lot of diamond for the money, but you really need to love it. I know that I owned a diamond that I knew was a great deal, but just didn't make me as happy and I ended up changing it.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
The strong blue fluorescence makes the stone seem a bit hazy.

OP stated the GIA grad gemologist has already confirmed the fluorescence isn't detrimental ("almost unnoticeable"). Presumably the GG has also confirmed that the stone is eye clean and doesn't have durability issues. High res image is available on the JA website.

I think OP's diamond is a good find, and well-priced. The only comparable is this one, which is similarly priced, but slightly smaller, and noticeably less brilliant:

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-2752949

The price is low for 1.5ct-ish J SI1 MRBs, but there is presumably a discount for fluorescence, and non-superideality. It's HCA score is 1.6 and falls within TIC range, and it appears to be quite sparkly in the 360-degree video.

ryan23

Rough_Rock
To my novice eye that seems like a great stone. How did you get the PS discount and 1.5% back if you don't mind me asking?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see any haziness... I think you got a well cut stone at a great price. :)

PTVA

Rough_Rock
Which proportion makes this stone not super ideal?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not just the (numbers) proportions that make a stone superideal. It's only the most perfectly cut stones within those measurements that would get the label of superideal/hearts and arrows. You have to have perfect hearts images, too. This looks like a very nice excellent cut stone.

My concern would be the inclusions under the table. I'd be afraid they could be seen at certain angles when the lighting hits them. I'd ask that question, because 100% eyeclean is important to me. The price is pretty low, so there is a reason for that. It could just be the fluoresence, but sometimes it can be due to other factors such as clarity.

pakman912

Rough_Rock
OP stated the GIA grad gemologist has already confirmed the fluorescence isn't detrimental ("almost unnoticeable"). Presumably the GG has also confirmed that the stone is eye clean and doesn't have durability issues. High res image is available on the JA website.

The haziness was mentioned in OP's previous posts and threads about this stone so that's why I brought it up. And I wouldn't just presume anything from a JA gemologist trying to sell a stone but to each his own.

Last edited:

blingblingdiamond

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, it has been a very busy week for me at work so I didn't have a chance to reply you all. I wanted to thank everyone for the input. I understand for a 1.58J at this price, I couldn't ask for more. I didn't know if I like it because I haven't really seen a lot of diamonds. This one and another 1.4K I mentioned in my previous threads are all I have seen. :cry2:That's why I was worried if I liked this diamond only because I don't know how a perfect diamond looks like.

When I looked closer, I did see a small white feather at the center of the table but the it cannot bring the sparkles down. I personally don't mind that feather. Really want to thank you all to remind me I need to like this diamond. Maybe I should look into the beauty of this diamond and feel the diamond with my heart more instead of making sure if the proportions, the color grade, or if the clarity grade are perfect. Here are couple more pictures for you guys, I actually do think this diamond is beautiful. :P2

Special thanks @ac117 for picking this diamond for me!!

IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0520.JPG

blingblingdiamond

Shiny_Rock
To my novice eye that seems like a great stone. How did you get the PS discount and 1.5% back if you don't mind me asking?

All you need to do is to tell them you are a PS member and they will give you PS discount/JA advantage discount. Mine was about 4%!!! the original price was at around 7000 and they offered me PS discount. the 1.5% you can get it from bank wiring the money or if you have credit card cash back.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so happy you are pleased with it! It's always wise to start with the numbers to narrow them down, but ultimately you do have to see a diamond to know if you love it or not!

laurencat13

Rough_Rock
I love your diamond! I purchased a similar diamond a few years ago from James Allen and I paid $7710 and I did not know about the PC discount at the time. If you choose to keep it, I hope it brings you years of happiness. It seems that the strong fluorescence was a factor in determining the price. I like fluorescence because I find it unique and interesting. I think you got a great deal because under 7K for a very beautiful diamond over 1.5ct is not easy to find. This is my 1.52 ct J SI2 with a medium blue fluorescence.
cert.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

blingblingdiamond

Shiny_Rock
I am so happy you are pleased with it! It's always wise to start with the numbers to narrow them down, but ultimately you do have to see a diamond to know if you love it or not!
Thank you Diamondseeker2006 and SimoneDi! I am glad that I found out about this community before making such a big decision. Or I would have just purchased a random/cheapest 1.5 ct diamond on Bluenile without looking at the numbers!

blingblingdiamond

Shiny_Rock
I love your diamond! I purchased a similar diamond a few years ago from James Allen and I paid $7710 and I did not know about the PC discount at the time. If you choose to keep it, I hope it brings you years of happiness. It seems that the strong fluorescence was a factor in determining the price. I like fluorescence because I find it unique and interesting. I think you got a great deal because under 7K for a very beautiful diamond over 1.5ct is not easy to find. This is my 1.52 ct J SI2 with a medium blue fluorescence.
cert.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg

Hi Laurencat13,

You have a very stunning ring and wedding bands!! Nice match! did you get them both from JA? Now JA offers 25% for all settings and bands so I think I might buy from them again.

Also, we do have very similar diamonds! I guess besides the SB fluoro, the table of your diamond is also clearer than mine. Most of the inclusions are at the center of my stone. That is very likely another reason why my diamond is cheaper!

Do you mind if I ask you what size is your finger? Because the diamond looks huge on your hand! Last but not least, thank you! and I hope your diamond brings you years and years of happiness too!!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely!

laurencat13

Rough_Rock
Hi Laurencat13,

You have a very stunning ring and wedding bands!! Nice match! did you get them both from JA? Now JA offers 25% for all settings and bands so I think I might buy from them again.

Also, we do have very similar diamonds! I guess besides the SB fluoro, the table of your diamond is also clearer than mine. Most of the inclusions are at the center of my stone. That is very likely another reason why my diamond is cheaper!

Do you mind if I ask you what size is your finger? Because the diamond looks huge on your hand! Last but not least, thank you! and I hope your diamond brings you years and years of happiness too!!!

Thank you! Both of my rings are from Robbins Brothers and the style is Simon G mr2028. I couldn't find a loose diamond at their store because the prices were higher than I expected and the inventory was lower than online retailers. I bought the diamond from JA and took it to Robbins Brothers to have it set.

That was 5 years ago. Now I would probably just buy a whole wedding set from JA. They have so many pretty settings. My ring size is 5.5.

blingblingdiamond

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Both of my rings are from Robbins Brothers and the style is Simon G mr2028. I couldn't find a loose diamond at their store because the prices were higher than I expected and the inventory was lower than online retailers. I bought the diamond from JA and took it to Robbins Brothers to have it set.

That was 5 years ago. Now I would probably just buy a whole wedding set from JA. They have so many pretty settings. My ring size is 5.5.

Mine ring size is also 5.5!!! I can totally see how it will look on my finger after seeing your picture! Gorgeous rings!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your diamond is beautiful! So glad you like it!! :)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy you love it and can't wait to see once it's set!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a very pretty performer of a stone. It's going to be up to you, whether any inclusions, or the fluorescent detracts enough from your enjoyment to be a deal breaker for you. If you keep it we would love to see it set!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results