shape
carat
color
clarity

The brooch thread

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next is my gold flower pin made of diamonds, blue topaz, amethyst and peridot with a surprise diamond at the bottom of the stem.

IMG_2379[1].jpg
IMG_2380[1].jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my latest one.........a graduated blue sapphire and diamond butterfly. This one is small but mighty, lol. I like wearing him with his flower friend.

IMG_2373[1].jpg
IMG_2414[1].jpg
IMG_2383[1].jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my latest one.........a graduated blue sapphire and diamond butterfly. This one is small but mighty, lol. I like wearing him with his flower friend.

IMG_2373[1].jpg
IMG_2414[1].jpg
IMG_2383[1].jpg
So pretty together! You have a wonderful collection Catmom!

Here's a question for bug brooch lovers...spider pins were at one time, very popular. Would you consider one of those? I'm on the fence about them because often they don't look convincing, or they look too 'goth' . Finding a well executed one is a challenge! I see many great butterflies, beetles and bees....

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom, I am drooling!!!
What a fabulous collection!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty together! You have a wonderful collection Catmom!

Here's a question for bug brooch lovers...spider pins were at one time, very popular. Would you consider one of those? I'm on the fence about them because often they don't look convincing, or they look too 'goth' . Finding a well executed one is a challenge! I see many great butterflies, beetles and bees....

Ive seen grasshoppers, frogs, bees, beetles etc. but have yet to see a spider one that I would wear. :eek-2: It would have to be pretty spectacular. :lol:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ive seen grasshoppers, frogs, bees, beetles etc. but have yet to see a spider one that I would wear. :eek-2: It would have to be pretty spectacular. :lol:
Lol! Right?!?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dream brooch is currently on 1st dibs. 5 cts of diamonds, 1.5 cts of ruby cabs with exquisite enamel work. Sigh..............................

Image1.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the past I have lost a few vintage costume pins from my coats.:(sad
To have more security, I put a little rubber earring back on the pin part just before latching it.
If the fastener opens up, your pin won't fall off.
great idea, only, me being a foreigner, I don't quite understand how it works. What is a rubber earring and where does one get it?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some 'critter' brooches that I made from sterling silver. I dabble in silversmithing. They all have clutch backs.(so hard to photograph silver!) IMG_20170726_191242829_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stracci- what a beautiful Wedgwood brooch! Not only is is beautiful the condition of the brooch is fantastic!

Arkteia -Your amethyst brooch is so lovely and I love the shape and details in the gold. I can only imagine how a chromium diopside will enhance that beauty and bring an extra element of elegance.

Catmom- You have a stunning collection of brooches and pins. I so love dragonflies so that one stands out for me among your other gorgeous pieces. You have such an eye for color.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this one, color...everything! My mother had a large cameo collection that was to die for but unfortunately some family members got to it after she died and it disappeared.

I absolutely adore it. Unfortunately, the relatives sometimes have a habit...I understand it only too well. :(

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hubby surprised me with my next one for Christmas. I saw it in my jeweler's store and immediately fell in love. Another dragonfly, lol. It's yellow and white gold with yellow, white and cognac diamonds. This by far is my favorite as you can tell by my avatar.

DSC_3694.JPG
DSC_3691.JPG
It is a museum piece. Amazing.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
great idea, only, me being a foreigner, I don't quite understand how it works. What is a rubber earring and where does one get it?
The "rubber" earring backs aren't really rubber, but some sort of soft plastic. They can be found in craft stores, or sometimes they are on costume jewelry earrings to help keep them on a display card. You could probably use a regular stud earring back, too, if it fits over the pin. 1501119080463939708121.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
with my ugly temp camera...A diamond and ruby antique brooch. I don't know if ruby is real or synthetic as synthetics were often used in period jewelry, and never tested it, it was sold as natural but it is the piece that attracts me. It is delicately milgrained and has clean lines. So sorry for poor shots! 20170726_095331.jpg 20170726_095627.jpg 20170726_095800.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
with my ugly temp camera...A diamond and ruby antique brooch. I don't know if ruby is real or synthetic as synthetics were often used in period jewelry, and never tested it, it was sold as natural but it is the piece that attracts me. It is delicately milgrained and has clean lines. So sorry for poor shots! 20170726_095331.jpg 20170726_095627.jpg 20170726_095800.jpg
Gorgeous! So delicate....I love that it has "movement"!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, a brooch thread!!!!! :appl::appl: I love all the ones shown so far. :love:

I have become a convert and love to wear them. I have branched out from my vintage rhinestone collection to the real deal these days. I only have a few but seem to have a nature theme going or as my hubby like to call it..."the bug obsession." :mrgreen:

My first "real" one is a white and yellow gold dragonfly. It has an opal body, tsavorite eyes and a ruby cab nose. I love how the wings are brushed white gold under the yellow gold veining.

DSC_0086.JPG
DSC_0109.JPG
Dragonfly pin.jpg
Love insect brooches!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_2373[1].jpg
IMG_2414[1].jpg
IMG_2383[1].jpg
Such fantasy you have, Catmom! Not only are they gorgeous, but also truly inspirational pieces!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That must have been so aggravating. It's amazing how family members can do this sort of thing. It's happened in my family too with lovely heirloom furniture and art. Some members have long running resentments because of the greediness of others. I'm a little worried about how things will go when my parents go through that. There are some people who are just very ungenerous at heart.
Some relatives, during their visit, asked dad's caregiver to give them a couple of items when my dad passes away. They said they were collecting them and "they belonged to our family". I said to my caregiver to give these items to them now, after my visit. People do not understand that Russian antique porcelain is neither Wedgwood nor my favorite Japanese porcelain, and the main thing, I don't want someone to wait till my dad dies...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dream is to make a fruit fly brooch. In memory to the geneticists, since all genetics owes it to a fruit fly. However, the problem is, I want the fruit fly to be recognizable, but they are, sadly, horribly ugly! Waiting for the inspiration...

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a bee pendant I made with Mexican fire opal and a pearl.
Some cretin once asked me if it was a fly.....grrrrr :x2 1501122022988-2080522047.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dream is to make a fruit fly brooch. In memory to the geneticists, since all genetics owes it to a fruit fly. However, the problem is, I want the fruit fly to be recognizable, but they are, sadly, horribly ugly! Waiting for the inspiration...
Lol! This is hilarious, Arkteia!! Lol!! Remember what Picasso introduced...the idea that fine art doesn't have to be 'beautiful'. It can be powerful and strong, even frightening.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some relatives, during their visit, asked dad's caregiver to give them a couple of items when my dad passes away. They said they were collecting them and "they belonged to our family". I said to my caregiver to give these items to them now, after my visit. People do not understand that Russian antique porcelain is neither Wedgwood nor my favorite Japanese porcelain, and the main thing, I don't want someone to wait till my dad dies...
What a great attitude and plan. This kind of generosity and thoughtfulness goes a long way.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stracci, lovely pieces you have created! Fantastic! I'm impressed that you do this.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how clean the lines are in this brooch ! To me, it's very unusual. I've not seen one like it. Whether natural or cultured, the ruby is perfect in it!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Bluegemz! I really love to do it, but I have slowed down recently, as my eyes are not as good as they once were.................it's hard to work on the tiny details

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results