shape
carat
color
clarity

Eeny meeny miny mo (please help me choose!)

rugbywing

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

Got some good feedback on a previous poor choice, so hoping your collective wisdom might help me decide which of these two I should go for (or neither!). No H&A or Idealscope images I'm afraid.

Some food for thought: on option 1 is the inclusion a problem? Thoughts on Option 2 having strong flourescence? And any other opinions welcome!

Option 1:
0.81 carat, Ideal cut, F colour, SI2. Small black inclusion on the table.

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 09.58.33.png
GIA Dimensions:
Table: 58
Depth 61.4
Crown Angle: 35
Pavillion Angle: 40.8
Girdle: Medium faceted (3.5%)
Cutlet: None

Polish: excellent
Symmetry: excellent
Flourescence: none

HCA score: 1.7

Option 2

0.82 carat, ideal cut, I colour, SI1. Various small crystal inclusions.

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 09.58.00.png

GIA Dimensions:
Table: 58
Depth 60.1
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavillion Angle: 40.6
Girdle: Medium - slightly thick
Cutlet: None

Polish: excellent
Symmetry: excellent
Flourescence: strong blue

HCA score: 0.9

Thanks a million guys!

M

rugbywing

Rough_Rock
I can't tell whether Option 2 is slightly hazy due to the fluorescence, or whether it's just the photograph. It looks less hazy on the 360 video...

rugbywing

Rough_Rock
No thoughts at all?? :(

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
really need more info, a video or link, GIA report, etc. the first i wonder if it's eye clean. def would prefer a video with the inclusion grades

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between the two, I definitely prefer the inclusions on the second one, but then again F color, no fluoro vs I with strong blue.. I am not sure. Can someone at BN confirm that the fluoro is not causing any haziness?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rugbywing

Rough_Rock
BN say the supplier note says it isn't milky. But I'm having them check it out.

If it comes back clean, is it worth buying? I've read that the flouro could be a good thing, given its an I colour...?

And thanks valeria, but I'm nervous about "very good" cuts? And also i'm in the UK so BN is my only way of avoiding import duty and making the diamonds 20% more expensive!

M

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm nervous about "very good" cuts?

In my opinion, serious only if there are visible consequences: the 'Very Goods' on GIA reports do not; the 'Very Goods' of BN & JA (defined by the shops) - are anyone's guess; the 'Very Good' of HCA spread - I tend to check against the diameter measures on the reports to see what am I missing in real terms; the other measures of the HCA score - better be EX, since they are meant to have visible consequences (and you will hear plenty of dissent !) ...

I am not sure what could possibly have downgraded that nice diamond - perhaps the 62% depth had fallen on a rule-of-thumb thresold... or something...

Got it about BN. I would look for the same parameters in their database, over-riding the in-house cut qualification as I have at James Allen.

rugbywing

Rough_Rock
Yeah... that's how I found those two! I put in the advanced search:

Depth between 59 – 61.8%
Table diameter between 53 – 58%
Polish & Symmetry excellent

Then I went through the results and narrowed those selections down to:
Crown angle between 34.3 – 34.9 degrees
Pavilion angle between 40.6 – 40.9 degrees

But presumably you're not a fan of the two I've turned up, above??

M

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a quick note from a fellow european buyer - it is not fully correct that you save VAT by using Blue Nile UK - as BN shows you price inkl. VAT. If you purchase via overseas vendor, you also pay the same VAT, however at the point when diamond crosses the border.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the F but the table inclusion absolutely needs further investigating. Being that you're overseas, i really hesitate because what if you get it and man, you just can't NOT see the inclusion, you know? The I stone is a nice stone, too, looks to be eye clean and i like that there are no "clouds not shown" type of inclusions mentioned on the report. If it's been checked out and they can guarantee there is no milkiness or haziness from the fluoro, i think i'd lean in that direction. I definitely see where the F color though is VERY tempting.

rugbywing

Rough_Rock
I definitely see where the F color though is VERY tempting.

Right?? They're both some of the nicest cuts I've seen for my budget, but waaay different in colour. :cry2:

rugbywing

Rough_Rock
Just a quick note from a fellow european buyer - it is not fully correct that you save VAT by using Blue Nile UK - as BN shows you price inkl. VAT. If you purchase via overseas vendor, you also pay the same VAT, however at the point when diamond crosses the border.

Yes you're right. But with BN you don't pay customs duty (I think 2.5%) isn't that right? Plus just all the extra hassle of dealing with bureaucracy...

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Right?? They're both some of the nicest cuts I've seen for my budget, but waaay different in colour. :cry2:

Have you looked at some GIA graded stones in person to see what your color tolerance is? You may be completely fine with the tint in the I stone and if so, i think its a no brainer, that the I is "safer". That F stone.... i just really think the inclusion may be visible at some angles. But that stone size, it is likely it wont be apparent at just a glance. And you know, it may not bother you at all.

i don't envy you making the choice. loL! i have 2 stones (both under 1ct) that have black crystals on the table and are both eye clean. :think:

rugbywing

Rough_Rock
i don't envy you making the choice. loL! i have 2 stones (both under 1ct) that have black crystals on the table and are both eye clean. :think:

I guess as a first timer I'm also just nervous that my choices are rubbish and I could do much better... so all thoughts on whether the stones (I or F) are good ones, given my budget ($3000ish) are appreciated!

rugbywing

Rough_Rock
If it's been checked out and they can guarantee there is no milkiness or haziness from the fluoro, i think i'd lean in that direction.

Just heard back, and they say after visual inspection there is no haziness or milkiness in the I stone at all. So I'm leaning that way too. If one or two more people tell me it's a good buy...! ;-)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But presumably you're not a fan of the two I've turned up, above??

They are both nice indeed ! My problem is communication - of sorts:

- the black spot in the F got photographed over a dark reflection, so I am roughly guessing it is small & un-problematic (I'd take it, then again - this is not about yours truly; I tend to not mind some quantity of 'clarity characteristics', reminding that these objects were once rock ...)

- the 'strong blue' is a fun attribute... that is also not universally loved, with or without the rare haze. If you have not seen any such rock, how should I know it is OK ?

In this size, F & I are practically non-color.

Return policies are such a great thing ! ... when possible.

I looked for a stone beyond argument.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results