shape
carat
color
clarity

So my recent lab sapphire purchase is glass

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Lab created stones have the same hardness...same chemical composition and properties...which is what the seller advertised.

It seems that Ivy and Rose is confusing lab-created with synthetic/simulants? At this point, the seller makes more sense...and assuming you didn't pay a lot, I would let it go.

fwiw - just because a vendor is highly recommended by others doesn't mean they are good at or knowledgeable about all things. Most of what I've read about Ivy and Rose is that many PSers love their inexpensive settings and bench...more so than being colored stone experts.

yes, and the stones that they do sell seem to be diamonds, not CS.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does ivy and rose also sell stones? I would have assumed they are bad mouthing your stone to get you to buy one of theirs (kind of like B&M with online diamonds). I find their behaviour extremely unprofessional and would likely ask for everything back, them paying shipping. My trust would be broken and I wouldn't want to be giving any money to this business.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does ivy and rose also sell stones? I would have assumed they are bad mouthing your stone to get you to buy one of theirs (kind of like B&M with online diamonds). I find their behaviour extremely unprofessional and would likely ask for everything back, them paying shipping. My trust would be broken and I wouldn't want to be giving any money to this business.
They do sell stones as well and what's interesting is in one of the messages Sara specifically said they mainly specialize in diamonds and took my stone to an "expert who works only with colored stones and gems". Mind you I was very upfront and told them from the beginning it was a lab stone, so it's not like there were expecting an earth mined stone. It's very disappointing all around.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for taking the time to reply Karl. So in your opinion would it be foolish to have Ivy and Rose set it? They have a setting I like so my plan is to set the stone in their setting and then down the line get a real sapphire set in there.

I get the distinct impression that they didn't give the stone the time of day and whoever Sara talked to just flippantly wrote it off as glass probably without even looking at it. Then when pressed, whoever that was had no choice since I asked them to make a determination either way. This is the impression I get, could be wrong though.
First that should have said rocket science lol not rocker in my post speel check is funny when your typing stinks that day. :}
As to doing further business with them being in the trade I should not just come out and say I would move on.
Putting aside the confusion and lets say it is synthetic sapphire. To be honest given the low cost of synthetic sapphire and the tendency to abrade on corners of all sapphire I would be hesitant to recommend using one already damaged unless it had deep sentimental value.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First that should have said rocket science lol not rocker in my post speel check is funny when your typing stinks that day. :}
As to doing further business with them being in the trade I should not just come out and say I would move on.
Putting aside the confusion and lets say it is synthetic sapphire. To be honest given the low cost of synthetic sapphire and the tendency to abrade on corners of all sapphire I would be hesitant to recommend using one already damaged unless it had deep sentimental value.

It's not rocket OR rocket science but boy they just can't seem to get it together! I appreciate your opinion though and really appreciate you taking the time to weigh in.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's not rocket OR rocket science but boy they just can't seem to get it together! I appreciate your opinion though and really appreciate you taking the time to weigh in.

Your welcome.
I get frustrated when people in the trade make the trade look bad.
They may be good people, I don't know them.
Maybe they relied on the wrong person, I dunno.
But what I do know is they made themselves look bad and that reflects on the entire industry in the minds of people reading this.
That upsets me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sent a message out to the original vendor apologizing for all of this and basically explaining to them that I was just trying to have the stone reset as the original setting was a bit too delicate and had no idea the ordeal that would come of it.

Also sent a message off to Sara at Ivy and Rose kept it short and just said that at this point I think the best thing is to send the ring back to me and to please let me know what I need to do on my end to accomplish this.

So Rose will be back home soon and I told my husband I'm just going to wear her as is and enjoy her. I appreciate every single one of you who followed along and took the time to read and/or respond.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icing on the cake, Sara at Ivy and Rose responded that she will mail the ring back and asked for my address.

That was it. Oh she did add a smiley face though :angryfire:

No sorry for the confusion to me or the original vendor. Wow, just wow, I'm glad I took the advice of not having them set the stone because their customer service, in this case at least is abysmal.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think the vendor who made the error should be told what the error is. Explain the difference between a glass stone and a lab created stone. which has the same properties as a real sapphire. Any experienced jeweler would know the difference. Just state the facts to them.

I was annoyed just reading this.
Annette

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got a message from the original vendor. Ready for this? They are offering to take the ring back, chip and all and give me a full refund!!

I mean, I think it would be crazy to keep it at this point when I could put the refund towards a real stone that is 100% what it claims to be right?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats awesome! I'd leave a review for both vendors detailing what went down. Would not be impressed with a vendor claiming a stone is fake and later recanting.

S

Squizabel

This stone IS 100% what it claims to be, by all evidence. It is very, very generous of the Etsy vendor to make the offer. I think the moral and right thing to do would be to keep it.

Put yourself in the vendor's shoes. You send out an item, get falsely accused of misrepresentation or outright fraud (which is hugely offensive and upsetting), the buyer (unintentionally) damages the item while in their possession, and then returns it to you for a full refund.

Sorry, but I could not do this.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone IS 100% what it claims to be, by all evidence. It is very, very generous of the Etsy vendor to make the offer. I think the moral and right thing to do would be to keep it.

Put yourself in the vendor's shoes. You send out an item, get falsely accused of misrepresentation or outright fraud (which is hugely offensive and upsetting), the buyer (unintentionally) damages the item while in their possession, and then returns it to you for a full refund.

Sorry, but I could not do this.

Although I understand that it is upsetting to be falsely accused of misrepresenting a product, I also was put in a precarious situation having to apologize on behalf of not only myself but Ivy and Rose. I can't say with 100% certainty that it is a lab sapphire, you said it is 100% what it claims to be by all evidence. That's the problem though, I have no evidence at all to say one way or the other, just the word of the original vendor. I trusted that Ivy and Rose knew what they were doing and we see where that got me.

While I appreciate that you may see it as a moral issue, really this is financial, the vendor is offering me a refund, I didn't ask for it in fact my only purpose in messaging them was to apologize profusely and put the matter behind me. Nobody is a winner here.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats awesome! I'd leave a review for both vendors detailing what went down. Would not be impressed with a vendor claiming a stone is fake and later recanting.

Telephone, that was probably the worst part, they never recanted their original statement, they just sent some blanket information about lap sapphires, speaking about them in general.

You know, people are human and mess up, not a problem but at least admit to it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I understand that it is upsetting to be falsely accused of misrepresenting a product, I also was put in a precarious situation having to apologize on behalf of not only myself but Ivy and Rose. I can't say with 100% certainty that it is a lab sapphire, you said it is 100% what it claims to be by all evidence. That's the problem though, I have no evidence at all to say one way or the other, just the word of the original vendor. I trusted that Ivy and Rose knew what they were doing and we see where that got me.

While I appreciate that you may see it as a moral issue, really this is financial, the vendor is offering me a refund, I didn't ask for it in fact my only purpose in messaging them was to apologize profusely and put the matter behind me. Nobody is a winner here.

I agree with you, @StephanieLynn... You did not ask for a refund; the Etsy vendor graciously offered one, and I would return it to them if I were in the your situation. Just a big mess any way you look at it, but kudos to the original vendor for their understanding and generosity in offering a return.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am of the opinion it is likely as the seller claimed at this point.
That said given the totality of the situation I would not feel bad accepting the sellers offer of a refund.
I think it is nice of them to offer.

Lisa21222

Rough_Rock
I recently set out to create a ring for my daughter, purchasing a few sapphires, in various colors, online.

Eventually found the setting she wanted, and it needed a 6x8 oval. She chose one of 4 white (clear) sapphires I obtained from a seller in India, in July.

I took the mount and stone to a local jeweler I use often for simple repairs like this. I told him I had the setting and had a stone, but was not certain it was what it was represented as. He asked why it mattered if I like the stone. I said it would not be worthwhile to have it set if it was CZ.

He took the 4 stones to the jeweler, and returned to say they were all glass, and unsuitable for setting. I ended up requesting an estimate for them to supply and set a white lab sapphire.

I hit Google to see whether sellers often misrepresent glass as stones, specifically lab sapphires. I found this thread and now wonder if my stones are glass or lab sapphires!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results