shape
carat
color
clarity

First EVER Custom Ring...CvB Setting...would LOVE input!!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone...I know you all are the BEST when it comes to diamonds and rings and jewelry of all sorts. I know I can count on your fabulous input. If not for you, I would have NEVER KNOWN Caysie (CvB Inspired Design) could customize a ring for me from an antique design. I didn't want to deal with an antique setting and all it comes with. Also, I want to "try" utilizing my current OEC, which I love a lot...LOVE THE COLORS...hoping it works!

So, as some of you may know, I decided to (try to) work with the 2.34 carat Q-R SI1 OEC from my Casablanca Ring and have Caysie custom design a (quite old) Victorian/Deco Lyre Promise or Engagement Ring, using another ring as an inspiration ring. Gosh, DO I LOVE CAYSIE...she is the GREATEST!

I am excited but NERVOUS!!!! I've never ever had anything custom-made for me in my life...not even a dress! Caysie and I are exchanging ideas and visions...she is a sweetheart...I adore her!

I FEEL LOST! Not overwhelmed...yet...but LOST! Didn't dream of having a ring customized.

So, here are some preliminaries...PLEASE...I WANT TO HEAR YOUR IDEAS!!!! I have a long way to go with initial CAD and all. I know what I've always dreamt of in an old ring (having a vision of one I fell in love with YEARS ago but couldn't afford to buy way back when).

I know you will help! Thank you everyone!!

Casablanca.1.jpg
Casablanca that is going...too big...too much bling for me!

Lyre Ring.2.jpg
Inspiration ring with incredible shoulder design...

LyreBeauty.jpg
The image for the shoulders of MY custom design-lololol-ONLY KIDDING...sorta!
Paste stones from the Georgian Era...a brooch...isn't it beautiful?

Drawing.1.jpg
A very quick PRELIMINARY sketch Caysie did the other day...LOVE IT ALREADY!

So, we are thinking Elongated French Cuts where the strings (or soundboards) are (each side). Diamond melee within the lyre, shaping the lyre. Sweet, antiqued ribbon prongs x 4...traditional orientation @ 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock, 10 o'clock, etc... I think I'd like a few diamonds on the proximal ends of the ribbon prongs...

Some beading, milgraining here 'n there...no bezel if we do baguettes in the center of the lyre.

Caysie already thinks "perhaps diamond melee along the strings, center, soundboard" (in lieu of French cuts or baguettes). LOVE THE DIAMONDS below the lyre near the top of the band...

Not sure at all yet about basket, etc...

Very preliminary...

Thoughts????

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: Oooh. Very cool. If anyone can pull this off it's CVB.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful sketch for something preliminary!

It's a beautiful design :) I actually like the idea of diamond melee along the strings instead of frenchies or baguettes (although I DO love frenchies), just because I feel that may make the design a bit 'lighter' but it's all a matter of taste and what appeals to you! If you were going with the diamond melee instead, I would want some kind of a cutout around it on either side so it's not a solid section if that makes any sense... otherwise, just stick with the frenchies!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is going to be another amazing CVB piece...she does fabulous design/work! Cant wait to see this one!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow. That's going to be AMAZING.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
My advice would be to trust Caysie, and let her flesh out the design for you. The preliminary sketch of the side view looks great, and I know she will come up with something great for the rest of the design. Many PS members are very creative and have great ideas for custom designs, but if you opt to do a "design by committee", you may rob yourself of the opportunity to get a custom design that is a true manifestation of Caysie's artistic vision.

Certainly, if Caysie presents you with "Concept A" vs "Concept B" and asks you to choose, users here will give you great feedback to help you decide. Other than that, I would recommend that you just let Caysie do her thing. If you're feeling lost or apprehensive, let her know your concerns.

Good luck, and enjoy this journey! :wavey:

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
:love: Oooh. Very cool. If anyone can pull this off it's CVB.

Thank you so much! I appreciate the encouragement! Do you mind staying "tuned?" Thanks!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful sketch for something preliminary!

It's a beautiful design :) I actually like the idea of diamond melee along the strings instead of frenchies or baguettes (although I DO love frenchies), just because I feel that may make the design a bit 'lighter' but it's all a matter of taste and what appeals to you! If you were going with the diamond melee instead, I would want some kind of a cutout around it on either side so it's not a solid section if that makes any sense... otherwise, just stick with the frenchies!!

Thank you so much for the positive feedback and encouragement. Yes...I do like the idea of the melee as "strings" and the cutout makes tons of sense. I do want a bit of a more ethereal design versus the inspiration ring. But I like the idea of the French cuts, too! Thank you. PLEASE stay tuned!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
This is going to be another amazing CVB piece...she does fabulous design/work! Cant wait to see this one!

Thank you...I think it's encouragement more than anything that I need! This is a huge project for me (and my beloved husband). Thank you.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow. That's going to be AMAZING.

Thank you soxfan...as yours have all been incredible from Caysie. Remember...you originally are the one who pointed me to Caysie when I inquired about the Acacia Design...remember????

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
My advice would be to trust Caysie, and let her flesh out the design for you. The preliminary sketch of the side view looks great, and I know she will come up with something great for the rest of the design. Many PS members are very creative and have great ideas for custom designs, but if you opt to do a "design by committee", you may rob yourself of the opportunity to get a custom design that is a true manifestation of Caysie's artistic vision.

Certainly, if Caysie presents you with "Concept A" vs "Concept B" and asks you to choose, users here will give you great feedback to help you decide. Other than that, I would recommend that you just let Caysie do her thing. If you're feeling lost or apprehensive, let her know your concerns.

Good luck, and enjoy this journey! :wavey:

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful reply! Yes, I hear you about "design by committee." I guess I just enjoy the many creative and HONEST ideas and opinions of the PSers! I absolutely positively 10,000% trust Caysie and her ideas and creative visions...that's why I wanted only Caysie to design her version of the Lyre Ring. She has begun asking MY opinion about this 'n that...claw designs, step designs (???), etc...things I know zero about!!

I love the "creativity with respect to antiquity" Caysie brings to her designs. I toyed with having the Casablanca made in a much smaller size but opted not to do so.

Thank you so much for your input! Please stay connected!!!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
And now I have a question that I will clarify with Caysie but I want to throw it out here. When we texted earlier and we discussed frenchies vs baguettes vs melee, Caysie said, 'I thought you wanted a STEP-DESIGN' for your shoulders?"

I'm not sure what constitutes a step design...I imagine it's a design that graduates from the band up to the stone...like steps. But HOW WOULD THAT COME INTO PLAY WITH A BAGUETTE OR FRENCH CUT ELONGATED STONE? Those stones are linear, aren't they??

Feelin' stupid...just asking :geek: :twirl: :wall: :think: :-o

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe she meant step cut? I absolutely love it! Caysie is just outstanding with design and I really trust her judgement when I am undecided. I love a baguette there, personally. I don't think melee for the strings would look as much like strings as a step cut does. You already have pave in the setting, so I think the step cut is perfect in the center.

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
READY FOR THIS EVERYONE...

StepCut.jpg
Yup...this is the "step design" or "step cut." I thought Caysie meant a "pyramid" design setting...can you imagine??? Caysie and I've been "texting" for about an hour now...she is a sweetheart! She clarified and sent me the image! This stone will be the "center" of each shoulder!!!

THANK YOU DIAMONDSEEKER

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Maybe she meant step cut? I absolutely love it! Caysie is just outstanding with design and I really trust her judgement when I am undecided. I love a baguette there, personally. I don't think melee for the strings would look as much like strings as a step cut does. You already have pave in the setting, so I think the step cut is perfect in the center.

I am so so so custom jewelry challenged...I swear...an IDIOT!!!! That is what I just told Caysie...I told her "brace yourself, woman...challenged, I swear!" Thank you Thank you diamondseeker!!!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock

YES YES AND YES!!!!! Now that we clarified, that is exactly what Caysie said! This is what we are going with as the CENTER STONE of each shoulder!!!! Now, is a STEP CUT a FRENCH CUT BAGUETTE???

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
I'm thinking, "How on God's Good Earth will this 'step design' translate into diamond Lyre shoulders?" Good grief :roll:
Steps.jpg

And look at the diamond shoulders on THIS (minus the halo)...isn't this gorgeous??? Place the STEP CUT in the center...this is another Lyre Design Ring...offered at Estate Diamond Jewelry for $18,900-yowza!!

EstateDiamondJewelry.1.jpg EstateDiamondJewelry.2.jpg

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see lyres in the original design, because the diamond paved 'arms' extend above the end of the baguette - as they would extend above the bridge over which the strings are extended in the typical classical design (Greek & Roman kithara).

The small empty space left between the baguettes, the tips of the arms and the center stone, helps clarify the intention of the design allot - for me. It is hardly common to have such gaps - but not unheard of (Victoria by Tiffany).

Before your mention of the 18.9K ring, I have never noticed that the French 'flueur de lis' motif resembles a lyra !

All very beautiful ...

IMHO, the step cut of the baguettes suggest strings all too well; then, removing the round diamonds (soundbox stand-ins ?) between the baguettes (strings) and the ring's band, does improve the design ...

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caysie is wonderful. I sat back a bit and let her work it out-- I wanted a CVB ID setting. She has such artistry. I didn't want to add too much, you know?

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
I see lyres in the original design, because the diamond paved 'arms' extend above the end of the baguette - as they would extend above the bridge over which the strings are extended in the typical classical design (Greek & Roman kithara).

The small empty space left between the baguettes, the tips of the arms and the center stone, helps clarify the intention of the design allot - for me. It is hardly common to have such gaps - but not unheard of (Victoria by Tiffany).

Before your mention of the 18.9K ring, I have never noticed that the French 'flueur de lis' motif resembles a lyra !

All very beautiful ...

IMHO, the step cut of the baguettes suggest strings all too well; then, removing the round diamonds (soundbox stand-ins ?) between the baguettes (strings) and the ring's band, does improve the design ...

Oooooooh...thank you for your suggestions! I love your "eye" for design. Yes, I think most would agree the "step cut" baguette is the way to go as a center stone or focal point for the shoulder design. And I completely see your concept of the arms rising above with space, etc...makes tons of sense!

And yes...I NEVER thought about the fleur-de lis or "tulip" shoulder simulating the lyre...that is so true. Once one catches on to the notion, the "lyre" design concept appears in quite many antique designs...all the symbolism, I guess ;-)

And yes...Caysie is already thinking a raised "bead" of sorts at either end of the lyre in lieu of the diamonds...tho' I LOVE the diamond accents above 'n beneath the lyre!

Thank you! Please continue following!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
Caysie is wonderful. I sat back a bit and let her work it out-- I wanted a CVB ID setting. She has such artistry. I didn't want to add too much, you know?

Absolutely...however, I'm SO glad (as is Caysie) that we clarified the STEPS-lolololol :errrr:
Thank you!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have nothing useful to add but I'm following this thread cos I can't wait to see what you come up with for that lovely stone of yours :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_3233.JPG
YES YES AND YES!!!!! Now that we clarified, that is exactly what Caysie said! This is what we are going with as the CENTER STONE of each shoulder!!!! Now, is a STEP CUT a FRENCH CUT BAGUETTE???
A step cut baguette has a more 'modern' look as seen in de pic you attached. It is not the same as an elongated step cut!!! Which has a more vintage feel. In the attached pic you see elongated french cuts. I hope the difference between these and the step cut baguette is clear.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the diamond accents above 'n beneath the lyre!

If anything, I am very impressed with how suggestive of lyres the original design is, while quite flat & simple - like a good pictogram ought to be. Hard to do ...

Fingers crossed !

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and I love love love the sketch. The ring will be amazing

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
I have nothing useful to add but I'm following this thread cos I can't wait to see what you come up with for that lovely stone of yours :)

As always foxinsox, THANK YOU THANK YOU! You are always so kind...encouragement appreciated!

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
If anything, I am very impressed with how suggestive of lyres the original design is, while quite flat & simple - like a good pictogram ought to be. Hard to do ...

Fingers crossed !

Thank you valeria...I follow your comments/posts and they are always so thoughtful and astute! I'm glad you love the original design, as I thought you might have believed the "lyre" was becoming "muted"...sorry couldn't resist...in the preliminary sketch. You know, I LOVE the concept and symbolism of the lyre///however the ring doesn't have to TOTALLY be lyre-ish...tho' I adore the historical symbolism and the beautiful touch! Thanks again!

:wavey:

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
IMG_3233.JPG
A step cut baguette has a more 'modern' look as seen in de pic you attached. It is not the same as an elongated step cut!!! Which has a more vintage feel. In the attached pic you see elongated french cuts. I hope the difference between these and the step cut baguette is clear.

Ahhhhhhh...thank you Acinom for your post and pics. Can you imagine? I do not know (well I DID not know...now I do) the difference between a step-setting and a step-cut diamond...duh
:read:

tlfiore

Shiny_Rock
...and I love love love the sketch. The ring will be amazing
And thank you...yes I LOVE the sketch, too! Caysie is amazingly talented, as well as being an awesome human-being. I couldn't believe how wonderful the initial sketch was either! Thank you!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote for letting Caysie do her thing :) obviously she needs to know what you would like, but she's amazing. All I did was tell her I wanted my emerald setting to be 'lighter' than the inspiration pic (which while impressive, was very heavy set and a little chunky to my eyes) and it evolved from there into something which looks like it has been made by elves! How a 10mm stone (in its setting now more like 12mm?!) can look light and elvish is beyond me. But she did it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results