color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
good morning my dear NIRDIs

I'm running a little late but wanted to at least say hi

@PierreBear yes, all their chicken was covered in different sauces...and all the sauces contained sugar. So hard to find anything these days without added sugar.

@Scandinavian and @missy am I understanding correctly that you are going to meet each other? It sounded like scandi is coming to the US for vacation. Anyway, if that's the case, I'm so happy to hear that! :appl:I hope you will post some pictures so we can see you guys and enjoy along (even if they have chipmunk faces on top!)

@marcy sorry to hear about your bad dream, I hope you laughed it out of you. And I'm sorry to hear about Marty's possibly poor review. I hope he doesn't let it get him down and just looks at it as a learning experience he can grow from. And lol on the calories melting right off the ice cream in the heat :D

missy - I was glad for the subconscious message! At least the one that stuck was the fish and not the ice cream! :D Now if that starts happening you're in trouble. :D

I can't remember off the top of my head the other things/comments I wanted to acknowledge and I really gotta go now. I'll update a little better later.

Have a great day everyone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL CJ :lol: How about both? Some fresh fish and then some delicious ice cream? You can get the No Sugar Added Ice Cream...I don't know where you live but if you are ever in my area for a visit it would be my treat!:appl: :kiss: (((Hugs))).
Yes Scandi is visiting me and I am super excited. I just hope the visit is an exceptional one for her and her family! And haha yes we will make sure to add the chipmunk faces for sure. That way we never have a bad face day.:razz:

Marcy I forgot to say I am sorry you haven't been sleeping well the past few nights and I am sending you lots of sweet dreams for tonight (and for last night as you are probably still sleeping). And (((hugs))).

Kristie thanks for the rabies call yesterday. It was a relief to know Greg isn't at risk and it was sweet of you to want to let me know immediately. (((Hugs))). We still haven't done the 23 and me test. It's sitting on the dining room table. The hours fly by and before I know it another day has passed. Sheesh. Going so fast. And not just the good days LOL.

To add some color (black and blue from HRH) to this post I will share another HRH Francesca photo from the other day. I took a series of pics and I don't think I shared this one with you yet.

francescasunning.jpg

and then she's playing peekaboo I cannot see you haha.

hrhpeekaboo.jpg

P

PierreBear

Good morning! I got up early this morning and got a 4 mile run in before work. Off to a good start but gave my mom a call and learned that she is struggling. She lives overseas and we have a language barrier but we do the best we can to stay in touch. My mom essentially said that she just wants to give up on life. She knows that being home alone in the evening isn’t good for her and that’s the point where she has negative thoughts. However, she doesn’t want to do anything about it. Any advice on dealing with individuals who wants to give up on life?

@junebug17 – Wonderful photos! I particularly like the one of the pelicans flying. Seems like such a peaceful place and rather remote! Regarding your last photo, did you follow the sign to get ice cream?

@Austina – Thanks for sharing your ice cream adventures. Those are really unique flavors. I keep buying the same flavor over and over again at the grocery store. Dulce de leche just hits the spot for me but I know there are other delicious things to try.

Your puppy likes to eat strawberries? I didn’t realize that dogs might prefer things other than meat etc. Too cute!

@marcy - $2 pizza sounds pretty dangerous for the waistline. I think that would get me more than the ice cream. Very neat about Marty transitioning into a different industry. I really admire that and it reminds me of a friend who worked as a research scientist for almost 10 years but recently decided to go into personal training. She now works for Camp Gladiator and loves what she is doing. Anyhow, please keep us posted on Marty’s results. We are all rooting for him!

Thanks for sharing all the astronomy photos. My DH and I were camping in Big Bend and it was the first time I saw the moon rise. Something so simple was just simply magical for me. I can’t even imagine how it compares to your top 5 sights.

@missy – Adorable peekaboo cat photos! Hope you and Scandi have a great time together. I’m sure ya’ll will get some ice cream together.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Missy, darn that your toe is red, swollen and hot. Maybe go back and see that new doctor again? Heck it sounds like you could send him pictures. I totally get why you should be vigilant against infections with the metal in your leg. And yes if someone is going to have a weird reaction it is going to be one of us. I thought of you when a lady at work camp in to work limping on Tuesday. She dropped some heavy metal thing on her toe. She finally went to an emergent care and she had a blood clot under her toe and it took them over an hour to drain it. They told her to go home and soak it in Epson salt; and then her toenail came off. She’s be sore for quite a while. Yes, that Killer Rabbit shows up everywhere.

CJ, I am still rather bothered by my dream but I didn’t have a continuance of it last night so I’ll take that as a good sign. Marty is pretty bummed and feels he embarrassed himself. I was going to tell him I was a HORRIBLE teacher for the first few years of teaching; you have to find your own way and what works for you. I don’t think he wants to be consoled yet though. HRH does have a sapphire sheen in the Sun.

PierreBear, way to go starting the day with a nice, long run. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Maybe keep suggesting hobbies or things to do to your mom and hopefully something sounds good to her. It is hard to really see for yourself what is going on if she is overseas. I am glad your friend was able to transition to being a personal trainer. I worry about what is going to happen with and for Marty but not much I can do other than support him. Was it a full moon you saw rising? Those big orange full moons are magical. Of course seeing those skinny little crescent moon is pretty cool. The top 5 list there definitely were pretty exciting for me to see.

Speaking of pretty sight - the crescent moon will be by Venus tomorrow morning (for those early risers).

Marty didn’t pass his coaching tests. He said they didn’t give him much feedback either just something like he doesn’t have enough experience or time coaching. I was going to point out they just want you to pay another $1000 to try it again down the road. He is not very happy about it.

I slept solid from about 11:15 to 4:55 then decided to see if the sun was rising and after that I couldn’t go back to sleep. So again I am sleepy. I might try to get to bed by 10 tonight. Tomorrow morning I’d like to see the Moon and Venus.

I picked up some groceries on the way home tonight; hopefully I’m good through next week now. Our local rodeo starts Friday and I don’t want to be battling the crowds to go out.

We reached a whooping 99 degrees here today and it felt like 102 degrees. Thunderstorms rolled through here tonight cooling us down to the low 80’s but they just teased us with rain.

Take care.
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

PierreBear I am sorry about your mom being depressed. Are there any friends and/or family around for her where she lives? Being without companionship and having friends can be very lonely and make everything more challenging. We are social creatures. Does she have any pets? Maybe adopting a rescue cat or 2 could really brighten her outlook on things. Having living beings to care for and to love who will love and need her? Also are there any groups she could join such as a book club or bridge club or whatever a group geared towards activities she enjoys doing? I don't know if she is in a community of similarly aged people but if so there should be activities there to choose from since she is probably not alone in her situation. People get older and friends get fewer and as I wrote before people are social beings and need companionship and interaction with others. Sending good thoughts and vibes her way.

Glad you got a nice run in yesterday AM! It always feels good to have a workout and get those endorphins going. I need it for my mental well being as much as I do for my physical well being. In fact maybe even more for my mental health. I know perhaps I am not completely normal because I am sort of inflexible with my workouts. I do it every AM and I do it for me and anyone who gets me and loves me understands that is a non negotiable short of emergency. That I have to do my morning workout and plans have to wait till after. Unless those plans are doing something equivalent to a good cardio workout then I will skip it.8-)

Marcy I'm sorry Marty didn't pass his coaching tests and I'm with you in that this is sure a good way for them to get another 1K from you and Marty. :( I hope Marty isn't too down about it and sending him (((hugs))) and good thoughts.
Sorry you woke early to see the sunrise yesterday AM and then couldn't get back to sleep. Hope you are sleeping a nice long sleep right now with only sweet dreams. Boo to bad dreams.

We are getting some of that too hot weather as well. I wish it would cool down to the low 80s Marcy and I bet your humidity is quite tolerable too. Today will be in the 90s (as was yesterday) and the heat index will be in the 100s. BUT the air quality is what is even more terrible. Today it is the worst it has been and they are saying people with respiratory issues (which honestly is many of the people NYC IMO including moi and everyone I know LOL) need to limit their time outdoors. And believe me I will! Those subways are infernos and waiting for the train is torture when it is this hot. And they don't run well when it is so hot either. Though honestly they have been running like crap for a while now. And our stupid Mayor de Blasio (I hate him) is just so argghhhh stupid. We used to have a food and drink ban on the subways (just like the metro in DC which is nice and clean) but our mayor in his wisdom says that isn't fair to do so now many of our delays are due to food trash on the tracks. Yanno people can eat before and after their subway commute and there is truly no good reason to eat on a freaking moving train that is CROWDED. It is disgusting! IMO. Anyway back to our regular scheduled programing because the stupidity of the politicians is nothing new.

My toe is weird. My friend (podiatrist at work) looked at it yesterday and she said it isn't healed yet (and she felt it should be so I guess I am a slow healer for whatever reason) and she doesn't know why it gets so red but right now she said keep some topical antibiotic on it though my new podiatrist said to leave it dry. The problem is since I have such weird reactions and everything just turns red on me if you look at me even and certainly touch me it is hard to know if it is just nothing or something. I did call the office of my new podiatrist but he has no appointments available till second week of August. And I don't want to text him because I want to save that for emergencies. Sigh. The skin on the toe right around where the nail came out is just always red and normal people would not have that redness so it is just a big question mark right now. I did make a mid August appointment to see the new podiatrist and if everything remains the same I won't text him and if it gets worse or I suspect infection I will. What a pain. I had hoped that this nail removal would help give me peace and it did. But short lived. Thanks as always for caring Ms Marcy. Much appreciated. (((HUGS))).

Work went OK yesterday but today looks to be nuts with the scheduling. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly. It's always an adventure and I never know what I am going to get. LOL.

Jimmianne how are you doing? How is it being back? I sure bet Issy and all the other fur babies including the horses are happy you are home. Thinking of you.

Hope all of you are having a good week and looking forward to hearing from you.:wavey:

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Good morning! I got up early this morning and got a 4 mile run in before work. Off to a good start but gave my mom a call and learned that she is struggling. She lives overseas and we have a language barrier but we do the best we can to stay in touch. My mom essentially said that she just wants to give up on life. She knows that being home alone in the evening isn’t good for her and that’s the point where she has negative thoughts. However, she doesn’t want to do anything about it. Any advice on dealing with individuals who wants to give up on life?

Hi PB, First, is your mother up to date with primary care? It's always important to rule out other medical causes of feeling like giving up--even simple things like urinary tract infections can contribute. Second, what is the culture regarding mental health where she lives? Is she open to seeing someone who can do a competent diagnostic interview? If she meets criteria for treatment for depression or anxiety, and is willing to try treatment out (psychopharmacology or psychotherapy or both) that could go a long way toward helping her get back on her feet. The other benefit of a diagnostic interview is that they should screen for use of alcohol and drugs. I am sorry it's so hard, especially since she is so far away and you don't speak the same language (which I find really interesting, by the way--must have been very strange growing up?) All the best to you!

P

PierreBear

Enjoying this early morning routine. Did another run in the morning before work. Nice to see the sleepy neighborhood slowly wake up. I have some good news to share for once. We’ve been living with low water pressure at hour house for maybe 5 years. It was just the norm to not take a shower while the washing machine was going on at the same time. Always thought it was just the issue of living on the second floor and maybe more homes being built. After a call to the utility company, confirming that there were no issues on the city side, they gave us a recommendation to check out this valve. DH did some you tubing and with some tweaks with a screw/wrench, we have water, water, water! Hurray for being able to have to faucets running at the same time and maybe even a toilet flush if I’m feeling a bit rowdy. The irony though is as much as I appreciate the great pressure, now I’m always thinking about whether I’m wasting too much water now. Hahaha… Hope ya’ll have have a great day!

@marcy – Yes, it was a full moon rising! Arrghghghg so sorry to hear that Marty didn’t pass his coaching tests. I’m so sorry for ya’ll. How is he feeling about it? I hope ya’ll still take the time to celebrate the efforts of training and preparing for it. Many times it’s not just the result but all the hard work, tears, blood that is most important and life changing.

@missy – Thanks for your comments and kind thoughts! A sister lives close by to her so she has family near but in the evening my mom doesn’t want to disturb as she is spending time with her spouse after he comes home from work. I get that but still encourage her to call if an emergency comes up. Yes, my mom has a cat and it took a good year of convincing. I wasn’t allowed to have pets growing up but after loving my cat for so many years, she decided to give it a try. My mom has a cat that looks like Garfield. Bit scared of everything and doesn’t like to be held but at least gives my mom some companion and an activity to focus on something else. She is part of a church group and sings in the choir and used to take some classes at a community college near-by. As I’m typing things out, I think she has many things going for her so I shouldn’t feel so lost or helpless. She is set up for success if she wants to get better. It’s just the night time where she doesn’t have many of these activities and that’s when things get the best of her. Hope she keeps fighting through it. I know when I’m by myself when DH is traveling, I definitely don’t feel like I’m at my “best” self.

Sorry to hear about the toe issue but glad you got a second input to talk through it. Hopefully it’s not an infection. I know you talked about the coloring but does it still continue to hurt? I think it’s a good sign though if puss hasn’t developed?

@springerspaniel – My mom has always struggled with mental health issues and all I can assume is that she’s up to date with primary care as everyone is always making sure she is taking all her medication etc. She does live in Southeast Asia where it might be as opened as it is in the states to acknowledge depression and anxiety. However, she’s had these issues since I’ve known her as a child and was taking medication even when she used to live in the states. I think the DR she has been going to acknowledges her condition and continues to administer the drugs that can assist. When talking to her though, I get the impression that there is stigma about being open about her feelings with her friends. She’s afraid to tell them perhaps because she will be judged. I wish she would just open up. They can’t help her or don’t know how to help her if she doesn’t give them a chance! Anyhow, thanks for brainstorming with me and for your good wishes!

Yes, the language barrier is an unusual one and happy to share. Both my parents immigrated from Taiwan but I grew up in Texas. I don’t talk with a Texas accent but I think you’ve already seen me type ya’ll a bunch of times. I have a conversational level of mandarin but it doesn’t take me very far in terms of using complex sentences or discussing emotions. I didn’t hear those type of conversations growing up so I don’t have the vocabulary. My parents always spoke to me in Chinese but I got used to responding back to them in English since there was a time that the schools put me in ESL as my English wasn’t very good. From that point on, they encouraged me to practice my English more than my Chinese. I wish my Chinese was better but it is what it is at this point in my life. I’m great at ordering food though!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PierreBear, I'm sorry to hear your mom is going through this, it must be tough trying to help her with the language and miles as a factor. I think "getting old" is hard, you're aware that there is less time in front of you and the bulk of your years are behind you. That is not easy. I hope she has friends in her age group, I think that is a huge plus for people in coping with aging and aging challenges. If she is open to comment/advice/help from you, maybe she could be encouraged to expand her social life? You're a kind daughter.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Missy, that is great you are so faithful with your morning workouts. They do make you feel better. I thought of getting up this morning to see the Moon near Venus but managed to go back to sleep. I bet it gets intolerably hot in the subways. That doesn’t sound too smart to let people eat on the subway. Closest I have to what it’s like to be on a subway is the trains they have at DIA to get you between terminals. They are packed with some seats and some poles to hang on to and eating in there would be a nightmare. I hope your toe gets better and less red but at least you got an appointment in a couple of weeks with the podiatrist. It will be good to have it checked. I hope work wasn’t too crazy for you today and try to stay cool.

Hi SpringerSpaniel.

PierreBear, that’s great your water pressure was an easy fix. Sweet. I can see how you’d be excited. Cool you enjoyed a full moon rising; I love seeing that big orange ball on the horizon. Marty is pretty bummed out but since he’s in LA I don’t know how hard he is taking it. He beats himself up pretty bad. I am glad to hear your mom does get out and do some things with people and that she enjoys. I remember my dad telling me the nights at home alone were the hardest part of the day after my mom died. I guess that’s when so many us just hang with our family and relax. Interesting story to hear you grew up with your parents speaking Chinese and you speaking English.

Kristie, it is a hard to face reality when we realize there is less time in front of us than behind us.

It was really hot here again today (not Kristie hot but hot for here). Our poor grass is really brown; I’ll have Marty show me how to turn on our sprinklers because I think they need to run more than they are currently set to come on. I did go out and pick off my dead flowers tonight; 2 weeks was way too long to get that go. Some of the plants are getting leggy and the pots are overcrowded now; I guess they grew better than expected. Most of the pansies are drying up. I’ve got stupid ants out there too. Grr.

I am taking off work tomorrow. I have errands to run. I hope to get around in time to have coffee break with my dad’s buddies. I am going to start a roast in the crock pot for supper. Marty should be home about 3:30.

Have a fabulous day.
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls! Just a quick fly by post as we are heading to the beach house all kitties in tow. So tired this AM because my mind was too active last night. I had a challenging day at work yesterday and I am getting closer to just calling it quits. I know I go on about this and appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to vent here (as well as in person to some of you individually). It is valuable to me to write it out and clear my head. Patients are waiting 3 plus hours and the admin just wants us to see patients faster not caring at all about compromising quality of care. Which I will not do under any circumstance. The head physician and medical director called me last night to support me and say compromising quality of care is not an option but while I think he is a good guy and does his best I know he cannot possibly succeed against the new admin and honestly it is becoming too unpleasant for me at work with keeping patients waiting so darn long. The medical director told me please don't give up on us and don't leave and come to me with all your issues and concerns. The administration doesn't understand as they are not healthcare providers. While his words were reassuring they are just words. Nothing has changed re the scheduling and when they schedule 4 patients an hour and it takes 45 minutes to see each patient (remember they are the ID population) you can see why people are waiting. Frustrating but there is nothing more I can do.

PierreBear, I hope your mom can find some good solutions and be happy and content with her days and nights. Getting older is challenging. And I continue to keep you all in my thoughts and sending good vibes to her. And (((HUGS))). Yay for her enjoying her cat who looks like Garfield. That is one handsome kitty!

As for speaking different languages the older you are the harder it is but I used to be completely fluent in spanish and even took advanced Spanish literature in college where the class was conducted (and heavy literature read) in Spanish. Now I can barely conduct an exam in Spanish. If you don't use it you can lose it and I have. I also cannot speak or read Hebrew anymore and it is disappointing as I worked hard to learn those languages. But it is my mind that is a sieve and I just haven't had the opportunity (or rather made the opportunity-my bad for sure) to use either language. My best friend is Chinese and he doesn't speak Chinese at all though both his parents were fluent in Chinese and Taiwanese. His dad was from Taiwan and his mom from China yet my friend never learned either language. I guess his parents like your parents just wanted what they felt was best for him but I was sad he couldn't speak either language at all because it would have been fun for him to teach me. But I digress sorry.

Marcy yay for taking the day off and I hope you accomplish all your to do list. And I hope you get to enjoy the coffee break with your dad's old buddies. That is such a lovely visit you get to do every now and then. It is more than Kristie hot by us these past few days and in the days continuing because of our humidity. Brutally hot and air quality very poor. But of course I guess we have to have Kristie come here to evaluate because I could be wrong...:cheeky: Hope your weather becomes more pleasant very soon. Yes eating on the subways in NYC is gross but surprisingly some PSers feel the opposite about it and one or 2 even called me "privileged" lol. Well I may be privileged (and they may be entitled LOL) by their definition (and it is all a comparison isn't it anyway) but I definitely don't feel like I am privileged in the spoiled rude way the RONY are...OMG did you guys catch the last episode. WOW is all I can say. They are so not self aware (RAMONA):knockout:

Hope you are all doing well and have a good morning. There will be no cycling for us today and probably not this weekend. Too hot so we will find other activities to enjoy. See you all (or as PierreBear might say Ya'll) :cheeky:later:wavey:

Sorry about the print size...it switched mid post again arghh. Cannot find the right size when it does that as it is b/w a 3 and a 4 and 3 is too small and 4 is too big. Sorry!

P

PierreBear

Hello! Happy Friday! My DH’s cousin is coming to stay with us this weekend. It will be cousin + cousin’s spouse + new baby. I’m a bit nervous. Ok a lot nervous but at least I know not to joke about baby eye masks. Hope it goes well but apparently the baby is not an easy baby. Gulp!! Wonder if we will sleep at all? The master is right next to the guest room so this should be a good taste of what it would be like if we were parents. Also learned recently that they no longer eat meat or dairy. More power to them but I hope I will be a good hostess and serve the right things. Yikes!

Taking my cat to the vet today. He’s got a weepy eye that’s been going on for too long. A weird discharge that isn’t clear like a tear. Dark color that I hate to say almost has the coloration of blood. Hope the car ride goes well as he doesn’t travel like the rest of ya’lls cats. There will probably be throw up of some sort. Poor little guy!

Have a great weekend and stay safe and cool!

@azstonie – Thanks for your sweet comments. Gosh, I appreciate you calling me a kind daughter but of course I know I can do more and show more empathy and consideration. Yes, agreed that getting older is a difficult part of life. I’m actually learning from my coworkers that it’s really dementia or alzheimer that seems to be prevalent that the elderly struggle with. It terrifies me to lose all sense of metal capabilities. Anyhow, I really appreciate the encouragement. Last time I visited her, I talked with one of her neighbors in the elevator. I think he was curious since we were an odd looking bunch as my DH was with me and he’s Caucasian. After the conversation and we were back in my mom’s apartment, I asked my mom if he’s met him before (younger married guy with 2 kids). She told me it wasn’t culturally normal to talk to strangers and chat people up the way one does in the states. Not sure if that’s the truth or just her personality. I’ve started to wonder if there are blogs like PS that my mom would be open to sharing with just like how we are doing and forming online pen pals. The internet and using a phone is challenging enough as it is.

@marcy – I’ve seen some people have timers for their sprinkler systems. Could Marty perhaps automate it somehow so you don’t have to worry about it? We don’t have it but it always seems convenient when I see it magically turn on at a neighbor’s house. What does it mean when the plants are getting leggy? Is it similar to succulents that grow too long so the actual bud/flower/pretty part is far away from the pot and so you really see more of the stem? What do you do with those leggy plants? Hope you get rid of the ants and don’t get bites in the process!

@missy – Sorry to hear about the work woes affecting your sleep. I appreciate you sharing your story and glad that there are people out there who stand up for the patients. It sounds like you have a medical background and are treating patients? Does this mean that you can treat your toe or is that not your specialty? How is the recovery on your pretty feet? Enjoy the beach adventures this weekend. Enjoy the time off of cycling and hope you find something memorable to replace it with.

Wow, Spanish and Hebrew. Impressive lady. I know you feel like you lost it but I bet if you were immersed in the language and heard it every day, it would slowly come back. About every other year we visit Taiwan and even though at max we only stay 1 week, I could see how it would be easier and easier to speak back. I even remember that DH was crossing the street one day and I was startled with a car that might not have seen him. I naturally said “watch out” in Chinese instead of English. Kinda neat how the mind works! However, once I got back to the states, I was back to my English speaking self.

Neat to hear that your best bud is Chinese. I can understand basic Taiwanese. It’s what my parent’s spoke when they wanted to talk about me or say things that they didn’t want me to find out. Similar to parents spelling out words in front of kids. Well joke’s on them because I did pick things up from context clues surprisingly. However, I can’t speak it at all. Maybe 1 phrase or 2. Very odd though I can speak mandarin. I guess I just didn’t hear it frequently enough or it’s easier for those type of words to roll off the tongue. I toy with the idea of moving to Taiwan one day to learn the language/culture/be closer to my mom. We will see what will happen. I know I’ll always be illiterate in Mandarin though. Those characters are so hard and there are so many to memorize. I think I can barely write my Chinese name now!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello lovelies.

@missy sorry to hear your toe is still sore and that work is causing you problems. So difficult to be in a position where you just don't have time to give the service/care you'd like.

It's difficult when parents are on their own @PierreBear, they seem to go one of 2 ways, either they feel they don't want to 'bother' anyone so retreat and become depressed, or they feel they want to involve themselves more in your life, whether it's convenient or not. We encouraged MIL to join groups so that at least she was meeting and talking to other people, although she was alone in the evening.

Sorry Marty didn't get the result he was hoping for @marcy, hopefully, although disappointed, it's given him an insight in to what to expect and prepare him for next time.

I just love your doggies face @springerspaniel, I bet those eyes mean you can't say no:)

Please excuse the moan, but I posted in Rocky talk, asking what people would think a reasonable cost to reset my diamonds, and I'm beginning to think I'm talking in tongues! I just expected a ball park figure of what people might've paid, because one quote I've had seems ridiculous to me, and you'd have thought I was asking for it to be done for nothing! Oh well, I shan't bother asking a simple question there again:-o

Big wave to @azstonie, @CJ200 hope you're all well.:wavey:

Have a great weekend y'all :D

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1881.JPG
Our lazy, sleepy girl :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls!

PierreBear, haha I wish. No my field is firmly about the eyes. Almost as far from the toes and feet as you can get.:D
But while I do have a medical background it has been many decades since I knew all I knew about everything re the body so I am leaving it to the experts for sure. You know what they say about an attorney representing himself has a fool for a client LOL so just shifting that to an eye care provider treating her own health issues and well you see what I mean...:oops::lol:

Chinese is one of the hardest languages to learn I think. And speak. I am impressed with anyone who can speak and read and write it fluently who wasn't brought up speaking and learning the language from birth. It would be lovely to speak many languages but I realize I do not have a talent for it now that I am older. It is definitely more challenging and unless one immerses oneself in the culture every day speaking and using it all the time it can be almost impossible at an older age. I feel for the older people who don't speak the language of the culture around them in certain places as it can be so challenging to communicate.

Sending more good thoughts and vibes to your mom and hugs to you. You are a good daughter.

Austina your sweet girl is beautiful. I love seeing photos of her. She's a joy.:love:
I'm sorry you didn't get clearer answers in Rocky Talk about setting costs. I have no clue since I haven't set anything for many years or else I'd help. Hopefully you can get some better guidance as to that question soon. I am looking forward to seeing your new project unfold.

I hope everyone enjoys a lovely Saturday. We are going to attempt a bike ride despite the heat here. Fingers crossed I can accomplish a nice number of miles without doing much damage to my body LOL. Have a great day girls!:wavey:

Sharing a few pics from this morning. First up Bobby (aka psycho kitty and believe me he is!) and Fred enjoying the window seat together. That is a nice sight let me tell you for the 2 of them to be there together!

fredandbobbyonwindowseat.JPG

And then Bobby up close. He is so large and awkward because of his long body and limbs but it works for him. But OMG he is a big kitty (not fat just large everything).

bobbyonwindowseat.JPG

And Fred right now enjoying hanging out in the bed with us while we enjoy our morning coffee before our bike ride this AM. Bye girls and have fun!

fredinbedjuly2017.JPG

He is purring up a storm right now...wish I could share video here cause I just took one right now. He is something else. We call Fred the purr baby. PurrrrrrrrrPurrrrrrrrrrPurrrrrrrr like a loud but smooth motor....PurrrrrrPurrrrrrPurrrrrr.

Old IG video I shared a few months ago on IG of Fred purring. (Boring but not to me LOL).
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRWWpGiAgZL/?taken-by=missylovesvintage

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

Missy, I'm so sorry things haven't improved at work with regard to the scheduling, I totally get how upsetting it is for you. Such a hard situation, so much of it is out of your control. I hope you can rest and unwind at the beach this weekend. It's a tough decision but at the end of the day you have to do what's best for you and your peace of mind. (((Hugs)))

Also sorry to hear your toe is still not completely healed. Very stressful and it's a shame to be having this worry hanging over you. Sending lots of healing vibes and hugs.

I'm enjoying the new Twin Peaks episodes, but honestly they are darker and not as campy as the original episodes, and there's more violence imo. It's even stranger than the original too lol. I'm a total Twin Peaks geek so I'm really into it but I can see where it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. You could just watch the first few episodes and see what you think.

LOVE the pics of your sweet kitties! They are adorable. So cute that Fred purrs so much. It's really great that they are loving the window seat. Yay for Greg for building such an awesome thing.

Calliecake, we like where we are in SC. In fact, my husband absolutely loves it and would move there tomorrow if he could. It's a beautiful place - very natural and not heavily developed. One slight drawback for me is being further away from shopping areas. I'm 10 minutes away from stores in NJ but in SC it's more like 30-40 minutes. There is a shopping area about 15 minutes away from us in SC with a grocery store, post office, hair salon, dry cleaner, etc so that comes in handy. The best part is no snow and ice, although it can get pretty chilly during the winter months sometimes.

Marcy, the picture of the sun is amazing! How cool that Venus can be seen, wow. I'm sorry Marty is feeling down about the test, and I know it's hard for you to see him feeling badly about it. I hope he starts feeling better soon. Hope you enjoyed your day off (I'm sure you did lol) and got a few things accomplished.

PierreBear, I'm so sorry your mother is dealing with some depression. The only thing I can think of is for her to have a friend over for dinner, but I know she can't do that all the time. Maybe you could call her in the evenings a few nights a week, at least it would give her some contact with another person. Beyond that I guess there's not much you can do since you're such a distance from her, and I do hope she starts feeling better. Have a great time with your dh's cousin and the baby! And I'm sending good thoughts about your kitty's eye and hoping it's nothing serious. And yay for improved water pressure! :appl:

Austina, I'm sorry you didn't get more helpful advice in RT. The only thing I can contribute is that when I got my OEC reset 4 years ago the jeweler was going to charge me $150 to set the diamond into the setting, which he waived. I agree that $450 sounds very high and hopefully you can find someone locally who is more reasonable. Love the pic of Dottie, she is adorable!

Jimmianne, thinking of you and hoping you're adjusting to being back home.

Scandi, not sure if you've left for your trip yet, if you have I hope you're having a great time!

I'm back in SC for the weekend; dh planned on coming and leaving on Monday for London, and I initially wasn't going to go but he asked at the last minute if I would so I figured why not - short stay, will be leaving on Monday.

I put my mother's house on the market this week and we've already had a decent offer on it, and the realtor is expecting another one so that's good news. The bad news is I procrastinated on doing a tax return so I have to wait a few extra months for a tax waiver, and I can't distribute the funds until I get it. So mad at myself. It's really not a big deal except that my brother could use the money right now.

I feel like I've missed a bunch of things, and I will try my best to stay on top of this thread a bit better. Have a good Saturday!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Missy, I hate to hear the overbooking of patients continues at work. It has to be so frustrating for you and your patients. I know it’s a tough decision about staying or quitting you job. No easy answer. Sorry you didn’t sleep well. That’s somewhat reassuring the head physician and medical director feel the same way you do; I hope they’ll follow through and push back to the admin. It is sad how quickly those second languages slip away. I took French from 7th grade through college and was in French literature classes as well but I barely remember much of the language. I did have a nice day yesterday. I spent well over an hour visiting with my dad’s buddies, then I ran several errands, went out for lunch and then worked on my eclipse program for the meeting last night. The program went well on the eclipse. I found out what you mean about how miserable heat and humidity can be last summer. I didn’t read through your thread about eating in the subway; I have grown weary of the less than polite comments on PS so I’m not posting on those threads. I’ll check it out though. I hope you have a nice weekend I am glad to hear you got to go for a bicycle ride. I saw a guy on a trike bike on my way home from work the other day. I thought of you. I love the cute kitty pictures. They are looking comfy and content.

PierreBear, I hope things go well with your company this weekend. Something I do with company anymore is I either ask them ahead of time or when they get her what they like to eat and drink for meals so I can at least have something on hand when they get here. It’s so hard to know. I hope the vet figured out what is going on with your cat’s eye and he is getting better. Our sprinklers do come on with a timer and I worried I’d mess the timer up but Marty told me there is a button that says “Manual” and all the sprinklers cycle once and it doesn’t change the timer. Sounds like I can handle that. Yes, that is what I meant about the plants getting leggy; I just cut them back and they’ll grow back.

Austina, great picture of your sweet Dottie. Like I just mentioned to Missy it seems like any innocent thread anymore results in some rude comments. I did go read through your thread and I would say yes that does seem like a lot of money for setting those 3 diamonds. Places around here charge around $100 to set a stone but one place charges $3 per carat point. I bet some places will charge you to remove the stones from their current setting. I hope your find a better price by shopping around.

Junebug, life at your place in SC sounds fabulous and of course you got my attention with no snow or ice. I did have a nice day off yesterday. My dad’s buddies were happy to see me. I told Marty it’s like Norm walking in to Cheers. They told me they had just commented earlier this week “we haven’t seen Marcy for a while”. I told them I’d be better at trying to get down to see them. They were good friends to my dad. The only errand I didn’t get done was renewing the truck plates; the line was pretty long and I didn’t have the card with me they mail out so I decided I didn’t want to wait that long only to find out I need the card. Enjoy your quick weekend in SC. Good luck with selling your mom’s house; that’s great you got an offer on it already. Darn that you’ll have to wait a few months on the tax waiver but that hopefully won’t take long to get.

I got up in time yesterday to make coffee break with the guys. The couple who run the donut shop were so nice and said we always enjoy seeing you come in because we miss your dad. I paid Marty’s rent for his gym, renewed my e-edition of the paper and then stopped at the country clerks office. I didn’t stay because the line was long and I forgot the card they sent me to renew the plates for the pickup. I went and had lunch while I was out then came home and studied my program for the astronomy club last night.

Today I got up pretty early but honestly was very lazy today. I didn’t do any housework other than dishes. I read and watched TV. It was great! I met Marty at the golf course for lunch but other than that stayed home. It was a relaxing day.

Have a fabulous Sunday.
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning girls! It's almost definite. I am quitting my job. I just cannot tolerate the atmosphere at the clinic any longer nor the torturous waits my patients are suffering. I feel it is abusive and I cannot be part of it anymore. Abusive to the patients (first and foremost) making it too unpleasant for me to continue there. I spoke with the medical director yesterday and just got nowhere though he agreed with almost everything I said (though he took umbrage when I said I feel disrespected by the admin and that I feel the patients are being disrespected as well to make them wait so long). I am going to write an email (not sure if I have to write a letter too) resigning. I will decide for sure by early this week.

I definitely don't want to leave but I also feel I have no other option. So it is making my decision a bit easier though it is traumatic for me as it is a huge change in my life and well some of you know I don't love change and also I feel a sense of loss and sadness and worry about leaving my patients. Though I know they will be taken care of so I am not worried for them that way at all. Just sad and I have a (small) sense of deserting them though logically I know that is not what I am doing.

So once I do this I am officially retiring from my field and I will begin retirement. What that holds for me I don't have any clue but one thing I know (and thank you Kristie and Callie) is I won't "shoulda" all over myself anymore. As in I should do this or I should do that. No. I will be kind to myself (again thank you Kristie and Callie) and not as hard on myself as I have been as has been (kindly and gently) pointed out to me by my NIRDI girlfriends. No I am giving myself permission to do nothing for as long as I want to and do what I want to do. No more "shouldas" all over myself. LOL.

Thanks for letting me get that out. Onto other matter now.

Junie, I am so glad you are enjoying your South Carolina Beach house again...good for you! And yay for putting your mom's house on the market. Please don't beat yourself up about the tax thing being delayed. No more "shouldas" for you too sweetie. I am sending you so many good luck vibes and thoughts and hugs hugs hugs.

Thanks for the "Twin Peaks" summary. Yeah darker and less campy and more confusing and violent doesn't sound like something I would enjoy. Having said that OMG I am loving "Game of Thrones" despite the violence which I am avoiding (averting my eyes and Greg mutes the tv too for me LOL) as much as possible. Worth trying it out if you you haven't watched it yet.

Do you have a Costco near you in SC at the beach house Junie? 30 minutes from shopping doesn't sound too bad at all but it depends where your Costco and Whole Foods and grocery stores are too...LOL we like our modern conveniences and nothing wrong with that right?

Marcy, I am so pleased for you that you got to meet your dad's buddies and enjoyed a nice visit with them at the coffee shop. I am glad you had a relaxing day yesterday with not many chores. Yes my innocent eating food on the subway thread received some angry replies for no reason. I swear some people love to turn threads into a poor/ rich debate. As if eating on the subway has anything to do with being poor or rich. OMG. Really? I don't buy the arguments and Annette really summed it up well for me. I admire she had the guts to say it because many of us are thinking it! And if you look at the poll at least as of yesterday it was a landslide for people being against eating on the subways. Which is what I think is reasonable. It is no one's right to be able to eat on public transportation IMO yet some here just love turning things into a "privileged" argument. It's laughable.:D

I am glad your program on the eclipse went well. Fun that you saw someone riding a trike. We so rarely see anyone riding one and never saw a couple on a recumbent tandem trike yet...but looking forward to the day we do. We are a rare bird at the shore with our tandem collection LOL.

Well I am sad to say things went from bad to worse yesterday but what can I do? Work- bleccch. Rash- OMG the worst it has been this year. When we got back from our bike ride my thighs were covered. And it still hurts today 18 hours later which is not the case generally. While the rash does last for many days usually the pain dissipates by the next day. But not so with this latest rash. It still stings and burns and feels quite hot. I sprayed the Benadryl spray but no relief. Trying to maintain positivity and good energy and still going riding today because I cannot let this get me down. Fingers crossed it doesn't get worse.

Austina, Junie's post reminded me that when I got Bea (2013) Adam didn't charge me at all for setting it so yeah same experience as Junie.

Scandi hope you are enjoying your vacation and love the photos and I know the rest of your trip will be so much fun!!!
Cannot wait to hear all about it!

CJ Hope you are well and thinking of you.

Sending good thoughts to you Kristie that it all goes smoothly. Hugs to the kiddos.

Callie hope you enjoy your Sunday with your dh. Hugs to your sweet pup.

Hi PierreBear, hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Greg found his Tibetan prayer flag from 1986 when he visited Tibet. I tried taking a photo. It wasn't easy. I tried the panoramic setting. Never used it before and not sure what I did to get it to work lol. This is the best I could do. The prayer flag is Loooooong.

tibetanpeaceflag.png

Dinner last night. Greg grilled fresh bluefish with grilled onions and portobello mushrooms and corn for me and he added tortellini to his dish. It was yummy.

My dish.
bluefishwithgrilledmushroomsonionsandcorn.jpg

Greg's dish.
bluefishtortellini.jpg

and lastly just in case anyone has any idea we have not yet thought of (lol the NIRDI brainstorming trio of Kristie, Peggy and me for my rashes and of course David my dermatologist that is) here is a photo from yesterday early evening about 7 hours after we got back from riding. It's hard to capture the true spirit of this rash as IRL it is much worse than it looks in photos but here goes. If anyone has any ideas I would so appreciate hearing them. There is strength in numbers and I know PS power and knowledge ROCKS and not just for gems!:appl:

Additional
info: The rash only happens when I am outside cycling. Not inside working out or indoor cycling nor does it happen with any other activity. It happens under cycling pants or when the skin is exposed as with cycling shorts. Happens with sunscreen when I am wearing shorts and without sunscreen when I am wearing cycling spf pants. Happens only during the warmer months. It can last for weeks and never goes away within a few days as most heat rashes generally do. Any ideas? I know it is heat related and since the spf clothing blocks 99.99% of the UV rays I am sticking with heat vs sun. The sun generates heat and that is why it comes out with the sun but the sun rays are not doing it but the heat from the sun is. My best guess. It burns and stings and only occasionally itches. The rash generates a heat I feel still today. The skin just feels terribly irritated.

Rash is redder IRL. A very deep bright red.

rashjuly2017.jpg

Last edited:

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
Missy--I have a lot of respect for your decision to leave your job. It takes a lot of courage to make such a big change, and as you said, change is not easy for you (or for anyone for that matter). I know the hardest part is leaving patients and feeling as if you are "abandoning" them. Unfortunately, you cannot do anything for them if you are totally frazzled and burned out by the system and it sounds as if despite your best efforts, the system has been unresponsive to your requests for change. Life is too short and it sounds as if you are ready to move to another chapter in your life. Just my 2 cents.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear, I can well imagine what a difficult decision it's been for you @missy , but you've been put in an untenable position, which doesn't sound as though it's going to change any time soon. Sad that it's come to this, but sometimes it takes losing a good person for people to realise they must change the way they operate.

You poor thing, your rash looks awful, could it be prickly heat?

I think you'll be very surprised at how easy it is to fill your time when you're no longer working. :D I had a career break when I had DS, then only worked very part time when he was 16. I don't miss working at all, and DH who worked in London for nearly 40 years, 14-16 hrs a day, definitely doesn't miss it! He went on the train and tube, often standing room only. I read your thread, and that's the thing I hate about forums, there's always someone getting on their high horse, without knowing the first thing about you, but quick to make assumptions.:roll: FWIW the problem has nothing to do with rich/poor or civil liberties, but about the general lack of respect people have for others, because unfortunately there are always those for whom it's a me, me, me society.

So glad your presentation went well @marcy , it sounds really interesting, and good that you were able to spend time with your Dad's pals. The $450 was just for setting 1 stone, that's why I thought it was excessive, but obviously I know nothing about these things and want something for nothing 8-)

Nothing wrong with having a lazy day, it's good to take it easy and be good to yourself.

Sounds like you've been having a lovely time in SC @junebug17 , enjoy your trip, I think the forecast is 21-24 degs this week, with the chance of a few showers, so bring a brolly (umbrella) :razz:

Hope pussies eye is on the mend @PierreBear

Spent a while in the garden tidy up this afternoon, the pots I planted on Monday are already filling in, so should look really pretty in another couple of weeks. (Photos to follow)

Have a lovely evening lovely ladies :wavey:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Missy that rash looks unfriendly!! Yeow! You have a lot on your plate at work and I don't blame you for wanting a change. I know you are a dedicated professional--and would be an asset to any organization. Are you considering fulll retirement or are you simply finished with your present organization? Something else may come along that suits you better--maybe teaching or research. Support vibes across the miles.

Hello to all the NIRDIS.:wavey:

cheers--Sharon

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I am just so sorry about that rash! It does seem like some kind of allergic reaction to heat. It's been really hot so maybe that's making it even worse. I think high humidity can also be a factor? I just read that a heat rash can happen after intense exercise and sweating so maybe the combination of high heat and the cycling makes for a perfect storm. Can you use calamine lotion? Just thinking out loud. I wish I had better advice/suggestions and I'm sorry you have to deal with this. Sending lots of good thoughts it starts clearing up soon.

Try not to worry, you will be fine if you stop working, you might even end up enjoying it lol! You've worked for many years so you deserve some time to yourself. I'm really glad you won't put too much pressure on yourself and just allow yourself to have a break for a while. Things have a way of naturally falling into place, you'll figure things out as you go along.

I haven't read your thread because like Marcy I am tired of the abrasive and judgemental tone tone some people take with others so lately I've been sticking with SMTB and the nirdi thread. I will check it out.

The dinner Greg made looks SO good! Yum. Delicious and healthy, a perfect combination. I'm hungry now haha!

I guess I didn't present the new Twin Peaks in a very good light lol! Thanks for the recommendation for Game of Thrones - my son really likes it, I will have to check it out.

Marcy, I'm so glad you were able to get together with your father's buddies, it sounds like it was really enjoyable and comforting to you. And it sounds like they really enjoyed seeing you too. Glad you had a productive day off, and good for you for taking it easy and relaxing for a while. It's rejuvenating to get a break from the hectic pace of life.

PierreBeatr, I just remembered you asked me recently if I golf and I didn't answer, sorry! No, I don't currently golf, I just don't have the desire at this point but I might go to the driving range with dh sometime. I love to watch it on tv though!

Hi Sharon, Springerspaniel, and Austina!

Having a nice time on our mini-vacation - went to the beach, watched the British Open, and then dh headed off to golf and I am sitting by the pool. I could get used to this haha. Heading home tomorrow.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

Missy, it sounds like the time is right to quit your job. I know it was a tough decision. I am confident you will find many new things to enjoy retirement whether it be a new adventure or enjoying time to relax. Please don’t let those “shoulda” thoughts get to you. I did go read your poll (and voted and responded) but yes it got personal and ugly in no time. Sorry to hear and see your rash. So just thinking out loud here – could it be something in the cycling clothes? Like a different fabric or the spf blocker in it? If you wear that clothing around the house or to exercise does it do the same thing? Could your detergent pull something out of the cycling clothes that leaves a residue that irritates you? Does the cycling fabric absorb moisture that maybe makes the rash worse? Just thoughts. Your dinner looks great.

Hi SpringerSpaniel and Sharon.

Austina, you are right about there are many people out there that it is “all about me.” I agree $450 seems high for mounting one stone. That place that mounted the sapphire my sister gave me was going to charge me about $380 to mount that one stone. I am pretty sure around here I could find someplace cheaper but I went with my normal jewelry store because the ring is always upgradable. Looking forward to pictures of your flowers.

Junebug, I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one avoiding those threads that get nasty and judgmental. Sometimes I just need a day to veg out. I still don’t know how I worked full time plus taught astronomy at our local community college for 21 years. I didn’t have a moment to myself in those days. I guess I was used to it; it didn’t take me long to realize “hey this is nice.” Your mini vacation sounds perfect. I can see why you could get used to it.

Since I did absolutely nothing yesterday I did pay for that today. The washer and dryer were going all day and assorted chores had to be completed. We had lunch at the golf course again and then grilled steaks for supper. We sat on the patio at the golf course and we got to see a F-18 come in for a landing. It was awesome! Too bad I didn’t think ahead when it was buzzing the airport to pull my phone out to get a picture.

Marty’s company posted a second quarter financial report that was very bleak so they put a freeze on travel. He cancelled his trip to Atlanta tomorrow. Since he cancelled his flight already watch they’ll tell him to reschedule it. Of course, if he hadn’t cancelled it then he’d have to cancel at the last minute. His job security continues to be uncertain and scary.

When we were in SC I found a man’s gold bracelet at a Kay’s Outlet that I loved. I think I would have bought it except they were going to charge me way too much to have a few links removed from it. I keep watching both Kays and Kays outlet to see if it goes on sale. On a whim yesterday I looked to see if Sams Club had the same bracelet and they do – in 14K gold instead of Kay’s 10K gold and it’s less than ½ the price. Darn now I want it again. I’ll post a pick. It’s really a solid bracelet. I know, like I need another one.

Take care.
Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's two tone and about 7mm high.

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 8.18.40 PM.png

P

PierreBear

It was a really full weekend. Company in town with the baby staying in our small place. Baby was a difficult baby and always needed to be held or moved. I am exhausted but I think it was a successful visit where we got to spend time with family and get to know them better. Just exhausted though from the constant conversation/hosting that this introvert isn’t used to. I did confirm though that being a mom is probably not going to be in my future. I don’t know ladies. I just don’t have the desire to hold a baby. I would do it to help out mom/dad when they were eating etc or busy but I wasn’t dying to hold the baby as much as possible. I know I’ve made this comment on other threads before but I feel like such an odd duck to not have this primal desire to be a mom but I can’t be anyone else either. Know it has a lot to do with my relationship with my parents. I’ve got a few more years though to see if that light bulb comes on.

Thanks for asking about my cat. He just has a blocked duct. I wish I took a photo for ya’ll but in the moment things were rushed. The vet put drops in both eyes and then turned off the light and shined something that simulated a black light. You could see that the drops drained through one cat nostril but didn’t come out of the other. Just a cosmetic issue to see the oxidized tears and need to keep it clean. Good news that it’s nothing serious but he will never be a cat model now. Well, he’s got a good right side. Hehe : )

@Austina – Great point about parents. I forget that there is the other side of the pendulum where they want to be more involved in your life. Hard to find a good balance.

Good luck trying to find a pricing idea on resetting diamonds. I found that PS is good for obtaining opinions and guidance. For pricing at least from my experience, it was an easier process calling the vendors to ask. Describing is hard for me as I don’t know all the lingo but using pictures was a way that I could communicate. Let us know if we can help out in any way on this thread! We love hearing from you and seeing doggy pictures. Hehe

@missy – Ahhh yes eyes are very different from feet. Haha! I read an article the other day that a woman had 17 or some obscene amount of contacts all stacked up on top for such a long time that the mucus hardened it and formed a shell. She had forgotten to take them out and just kept putting new ones in. I don’t know how one wouldn’t feel it and detect it earlier. Would be my worst nightmare as I’m squeamish about eyes and other sensitive areas.

Thanks again for the good thoughts, vibes, and kitty pictures. Yes, things are easier learned as a child. In addition to languages, I sure wish I learned how to ski when I was younger. : )

Good for you on deciding what to do for about your job. I’m sure there is a big gap to fill your shoes but perhaps the clinic might take your commentary more seriously and hope the environment might eventually change for the patient’s sake. Congrats on retirement though and moving to a new, healthier chapter of your life.

I’ve gotten those rashes before!!! But the only times I get it is on two day bike rides. I get it in the same spots but never as bad. I’ve asked doctors and talked to other ladies. Not sure on prevention but I think the culprit is heat + sun screen + fabric slightly rubbing. It would go away in a few days and aloe vera made it feel better. Sorry I couldn’t help much but you aren’t alone.

@junebug17 – Thanks for the encouragement. I believe my mom is much of an introvert in some regards. She would meet up with her friends at a coffee shop or restaurant but I have a feeling she’s probably never had anyone over to her place. Well quite honestly, when I think about it… we’ve had a few friends that we’ve never been over to their place before for a meal. I love going over to someone’s home as it is a very intimate experience to see how someone lives. More fun than going to a restaurant in my perspective. I’ll see if I can encourage her to do that but might not get very far.

Wow, enjoy London! Is it your first time? It’s on my bucket list of places to go.

@marcy – Funny that you mentioned meal planning for company. We learned the weekend before that they just started a vegan diet. They didn’t tell us and didn’t want to inconvenience us but my MIL learned when they had them over the weekend prior for a meal. OMG I was panicking. I’ve made vegetarian meals before but vegan was a whole other ball game. Can’t make pasta… that uses an egg. Can’t server dessert because most of those things use milk/cream/egg. Anyhow, I had to get creative and had enough things on hand to make about 3 meals. Did take them to a vegan restaurant in town and they liked it.

Hurray for lazy days. What are you reading these days? I picked up a book by the library called Brilliance and Fire, a Biography of Diamonds. It was in the “new book” section. Who knows if it’s good or not but I can tell you there aren’t a lot of pictures. More pictures the better when it comes to diamonds.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly @PierreBear, you're not odd, I'm a mother, and have never had any desire to hold anyone else's baby. Puppies yes, but babies, bleugh! Even now, because DS is almost 34, people are always asking if I'm dying to be a Granny, and again, I can honestly say, no. IF he and his g/f have children, (that's entirely their business and I would never ask or pester), then of course, I would love them, but I don't particularly want to look after them!

I saw this picture today, and had to post it, such odd looking pussies, especially the moustachioed one :D

IMG_1884.jpg

hope you're all having a good day and that the rash is clearing @missy

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hawaii is kind of nice :D
2017-07-24 11.11.40.jpg

FABU! I know that beach! My family is presently there...did you see my sister? She was the one with the bundles of tuberose.....

cheers--Sharon

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDIs!

PierreBear, it sounds like you had a very busy weekend. I’m with you on babies. I’m never had the bug to be a mom or hold babies. Nature took care of me early in life so I didn’t have to make that choice but it never really bothers me. I adore my nieces and nephews though. I hope your kitty gets better soon. I heard about that lady and the contacts too; I wondered how on earth she couldn’t know they were there. That is pretty good coming up with 3 vegan meals and it’s always a great idea to go out with company. Everyone can get what they want. I’ve got that book Brilliance and Fire. I agree it should have way more pictures but I enjoy reading it now and then. I keep it in the living room and often read it while I am waiting for my nails to dry. What kind of books do you like to read? The books I’ve been reading on my iPad are by W.E.B. Griffin. He has about 70-80 books mostly centered around WWII. They have all been pretty good. I downloaded the latest Micheal Connelly book.

Austina, I get nervous taking care of a baby. I worry I’ll break them. Those are some unusual looking kitties.

Scandi, fabulous picture. You must be a pro with your makeup; your face always looks the same. :lol:

Missy, I hope your rash is better today.

Marty was awake more than asleep last night so he didn’t have a good day.

I was busy at work so my day kind of zipped by.

Marty is out on the deck reading. I should pick up our clutter but I have Wednesday afternoon off so I’ll do it then.

My Porsche has a recall. Oh no! It’s the fuel injector can crack. I’d best get that fixed soon. Darn I’ll have to drive it to the dealer in Colorado.

Have a fabulous evening.
Marcy

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, oh no! Hate that rash! Hugs!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@marcy LOL on scandi's makeup skills (you funny :lol:) hope you and marty are doing OK. And it was thoughtful of you to not say anything to him to try to console him because you thought maybe he wasn't ready for that yet. And I am with you of being afraid to break babies. I also always expect that they will start crying violently the minute I put them in my arms, which is embarrassing. I hope you bought that bracelet i think it was meant to be if you found it somewhere else at an even better price!

@PierreBear I understand so well feeling drained from having people in your house. Glad your house is back to normal now, enjoy the quiet. :) And don't feel odd about not having the desire to hold or possibly have children. Be true to yourself. Try to understand if there is a reason behind it if you suspect you actually do want children but are afraid. That's different. Glad to hear your kitty is OK. And you know, you mentioned possibly suggesting to your mom to find an internet forum that she might enjoy. I think that is an excellent idea. If she is an introvert, writing and "socializing" with others over the Internet would probably work really well for her. I'm thinking that you have a better chance of her actually trying it if you find a few fora that you think she might enjoy.

@missy I know you were going to decide early this week about your job. Good luck with whatever you decide. You'll know when it's time this is something that has been weighing on your shoulders for a while. Sorry to hear you continue to deal with toe issues and now the rash. Give a kiss to all your fur babies.

@Austina sorry to hear you asked a question and got nothing helpful. :( that's frustrating.

@junebug17 glad you enjoyed your mini-vacation. And definitely give GoT a try. I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. Like every show, some episodes and seasons are better than others (i didn't like some of the storylines.) But the acting is really good and overall I think you'll like it.

Anyway girls wanted to check in and say hello.

To anyone I didn't write to directly, of course hello also. :wavey:

Hope everyone is doing great.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results