carat
color
clarity

Show me your Pearls!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you! The shoul
I understand what you are describing. South seas often have a satiny luster rather than the sharp shine of akoyas. They are softer looking at times, which is just beautiful in emphasizing the glow of a woman's skin.

Re, the shoulder dusters, thank you! They took forever to make because of the tiny loops in the wire. Also the peridot beads have such tiny holes, that half wouldn't fit over the wire...ugh!

Re the other wire necklaces, the one with the coin pearls was purchased at a gallery. A Native American woman made it. My husband purchased 3 other pieces of hers. She has since moved away which is a shame because I don't remember her name and I would have loved to commission some matching cloud earrings. It would take a long time for me to master her fluidity of line in wire. The only wrapping I do is to create links and such. I did make the druzy pearl necklace with pearls purchased from Druzy Designs. She has fabulous pearls and gem beads of all kinds for projects. I do ALOT of bead work though for fun, such as bead embroidery, beaded necklaces, etc. Have loved beads and gems since earliest conciousness lol.

Great job with the druzy pearls. I buy from Druzy Designs, too. She has such nice items. I used to knit and do macrame with beads when I was young, one thing we had in ample quantities in the Soviet Union was postal string, I remember coming to the P.O. and asking for the best one, and they'd give me some for free, for my macrame projects. But it was a long, long time ago.

You have fantastic jewelry, Bluegemz, and very unique taste. And such long, beautiful hands,your jewelry must look amazing on you!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great job with the druzy pearls. I buy from Druzy Designs, too. She has such nice items. I used to knit and do macrame with beads when I was young, one thing we had in ample quantities in the Soviet Union was postal string, I remember coming to the P.O. and asking for the best one, and they'd give me some for free, for my macrame projects. But it was a long, long time ago.

You have fantastic jewelry, Bluegemz, and very unique taste. And such long, beautiful hands,your jewelry must look amazing on you!
Wow, thank you for the compliment! What an interesting story about the postal string, and doing macrame. I've always wanted to learn to do that. So many fabulous possibilities with fine gem beads and pearls these days!

Joule

Rough_Rock
Absolutely loving everyone's collections! I'm definitely a pearl girl - but I'm also a lazy girl, which means I take pictures like this:

IMG_1968.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely loving everyone's collections! I'm definitely a pearl girl - but I'm also a lazy girl, which means I take pictures like this:

IMG_1968.JPG
Haha! Beautiful! I totally get it. I have a box in which I store some pearls in it like that. The image is luscious in the carefree excess. Reminds me of looking into a treasure chest! Gorgeous pearls and a wonderful collection.

marionberry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz, your Tahitians look amazing on you!

marionberry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ohh, and Joule, thank you for sharing your pearl treasure with us! Those Tahitian earrings look luscious! Are the bottom left ones cherries? Or is that just the rosey hue in the photo?

Joule

Rough_Rock
Marionberry, thank you! Those on the bottom left are chocolate Tahitians. Not only was I too lazy to separate my pearls, I was too lazy even to ensure proper lighting.

marionberry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I finally got my studs back from setting. I went with silver instead of gold in the end and am very pleased with the sturdy craftsmanship. She set the posts of the studs a bit off-center to prevent the pearls from drooping from the earlobe. While the effect is small for the pearl size, I still appreciate it.View media item 122246It's interesting how much sharper the lustre is on the studs compared to my necklace pearls. Even when the camera's focus is on the necklace peal, it's super obvious.
That's PearlHouse AAA 8mm vs. WenPearls T1 9-10mm.
View media item 122247I think the pearl cups could have been a tad smaller, but I like how strong the connection is with these.
View media item 122249Ear shot. I wonder if my piercing should have been a bit further up from the edge of my earlobe ....
View media item 122248

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There were plenty of pearls at the Singapore Intl Jewellery Expo. I was good and came away with just these Tahiti pearls. 11.7mm and 11.8mm. One of them has a blemish, the other, perfect.

20170708_203102-1.jpg

20170708_222318-1.jpg

20170708_223406-1.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were plenty of pearls at the Singapore Intl Jewellery Expo. I was good and came away with just these Tahiti pearls. 11.7mm and 11.8mm. One of them has a blemish, the other, perfect.

20170708_203102-1.jpg

20170708_222318-1.jpg

20170708_223406-1.jpg
Those are very beautiful! They seem to have a delicate bluish green overtone. I love Tahitian pearls for how exotic they look.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are very beautiful! They seem to have a delicate bluish green overtone. I love Tahitian pearls for how exotic they look.
I thought they exude rocker chic and would go well with grey gemstones (like a grey spinel or white diamonds :))

Now I just need to collect a pair of 22k gold pearls and I'm done with my earring collection.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought they exude rocker chic and would go well with grey gemstones (like a grey spinel or white diamonds :))

Now I just need to collect a pair of 22k gold pearls and I'm done with my earring collection.
Oh yes, I also would like a pair of yellow south sea pearl earrings. I love my tahitians and my blue grey south sea pearl earrings, but I've always wanted some golden ones . I think your tahitians will be perfect with your grey gems and a young and energetic, rocker look.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20170723_112839.png So I bought a Sea of Cortez pearl...i am fascinated by the whole idea to restore an old trade, and also provide jobs to local jewellers. Plus, the pearls are somewhat unusual-looking.

Attachments

• 20170723_112839.png
    20170723_112839.png
    410.9 KB · Views: 38

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's beautiful! I've always wanted a sea of Cortez pearl. They are deeply mysterious.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found out that my interest is to individual pearls, not to strands. So I had to buy from different vendors, to know what is out there, and made the first necklace... when I have enough courage, I might post it, if it survives for at least a week. It is far from well-matched, lol.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a wonderful way to go about it because each pearl is its own treasure. Imagine finding one natural pearl at a time and making a strand . It would not be well matched, but it would be a string of treasures and much more interesting! I'd love to see what you collected!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz @Arkteia Some of the keshi and all of the natural Cortez mabe are something else among pearls - astonishingly irridescent ! Somewhat in the sense of NZ Abalone nacre, but not the same colours or look.

[Impressions from research - I never got to blog this subject, however]

Perhaps you already know only too well !

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz @Arkteia Some of the keshi and all of the natural Cortez mabe are something else among pearls - astonishingly irridescent ! Somewhat in the sense of NZ Abalone nacre, but not the same colours or look.

[Impressions from research - I never got to blog this subject, however]

Perhaps you already know only too well !
Oh yes, I've been thinking about it those too. My next orbit around pearls will be around sea of Cortez !

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, I've been thinking about it those too. My next orbit around pearls will be around sea of Cortez !
I was thinking about it, too. I am yet unaware of their harvest season, but it could be an interesting trip!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
November (I think). No idea when it is the best time for Douglas McLauren to host a show of his rarities. His contact must be around.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
18619986_1615379848496139_1007238745567447396_n.jpg I recently saw this on Sheri Jurnecka's facebook page. I contacted her and she is making me one in sterling silver. I am going to the Pearl Guide ruckus this weekend and Douglas is bringing me some round Sea of Cortez keshi to buy for the octopus body.

marionberry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Arkteia, your Sea of Cortez pearl is super beautiful! What a treasure indeed.
Nacrelover, what an amazing little scene, love it!

I treated myself to some fun today and had a little pearl party with the kids. It was a lot of fun opening the freshwater pearl mussels and finding these little beauties peaking out. We got super lucky. Size and colour matched, peachy pink round shimmery pearl babies. Quite addictive!

Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 19.32.10.png

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
18619986_1615379848496139_1007238745567447396_n.jpg I recently saw this on Sheri Jurnecka's facebook page. I contacted her and she is making me one in sterling silver. I am going to the Pearl Guide ruckus this weekend and Douglas is bringing me some round Sea of Cortez keshi to buy for the octopus body.
Please post photos as soon as you get it!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Also at the Pearl Guide ruckus I bought the wild Sea of Cortez Douglas passed around during his talk on Saturday. It's fresh out of the water and was brought to him from some fishermen who found it. It's Gem+++ and is cherry with a green halo 7.5mm. Here is Douglas holding my new pearl.
douglas natural pearl.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful! Who is Douglas? The pearl looks amazing, and the guy looks knowledgeable, lol!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Douglas McLaurin is one of the three original men who started the Perlas del Mar de Cortez pearl farm in Guyamas, Mexico. Douglas comes to the ruckus each year to give talks about the farm and sells his pearls.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results