shape
carat
color
clarity

Weight Loss

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best friend, who now lives in Maine, and I had a long telephone call today. That is a rare luxury. She is not well and both of us live crazy lives, so we rarely speak. We had the opportunity to discuss our wights (among other topics today). She, like me, has had a roller coaster ride through weights. Since we met at age 16, we have seen each other go through all of these changes. We laughed at how she cut the legs off all the girls in the front row of one of our high school year book photos because she had not wanted anyone to look at her yearbook and see her "fat" legs. (But she couldn't bear to throw them them out. In her obsessiveness, she saved them in an envelope labeled "Legs '69" (1969 being the year we graduated from high school). She remembered one male friend looking at her yearbook and asking, "What the hell happened here?" when he saw the hole in the page. I remembered a man finding the envelope with "Legs '69" in it and asking her what that was! She ended by asking me if I thought all women who had been overweight in their lives remembered what weight they were at different times the way she and I did. She demonstrated by rattling off the weights she had been at various stages of her life and how she remembered significant events by how much she weighed when they occurred. I didn't know. maybe it is only those of us who have had weight problems who focus on that so much. What do all of you think? Or am I threadjacking?

Deb :wavey:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I don't know exactly how come, but I have had similar. It seems to go away when I drink plenty of water and keep going every day with the exercise.
I am curious what others say because I still get this sometimes.

That happens to an lot of people, including me. It's not actually bloating. By exercising on a commited basis, you're turning fat into muscle, and muscle weighs more. Also, when I first started walking the treadmill to strengthen my heart after I was seriously ill, not only did I put on a few pounds unpredictably, but my thighs and calves were getting fuller/bigger looking. I was looking to slim down, and hopefully rid my body of all the junk they pump into you when in the hospital for a long stay. The important thing is to keep your regime going, and you'll lose the excess weight and size in a short time. Commitment to your exercise routine is key. Make a promise to yourself and don't break that promise. Having a diet and fitness buddy also helps SO much! Thisgroup is great support for the diet part, and finding a friend to exercise with will help to turn "work" into something resembling fun. :mad:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my dear friend! Did you think I could have existed this long if I had not been using Victoria's Secret? Of course I have! The problem is that when I was fitted for a bra (by my godson's wife, who managed a series of VS stores in Connecticut for many years), I was heavier and had some more-although not much more-in the breast department. All of my bras are 36C or 34C cups, although I never filled the C part out. When I went to the "Celebration of Life" event in my new size 4 dress it pressed me into my actual shape. I am now probably about 32 or 34 inches around the bust and an A cup. The C cup bra got compressed by the dress and didn't do its job. It's pretty much no use. I always wear the padded VS bras, but I have a chest like a boy's now.

Maybe Matata would like to share some of what she has....:wink2:

Menopause didn't help to plump up your frontal horizontal assets? I thought that did it for everyone. I never had much of a chest at all, but now with the help of a well fitting bra, I look surprisingly normal, and in fact with a push up bra, slightly endowed.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Menopause didn't help to plump up your frontal horizontal assets? I thought that did it for everyone. I never had much of a chest at all, but now with the help of a well fitting bra, I look surprisingly normal, and in fact with a push up bra, slightly endowed.

I am happy for you, gemgirl, and I salute you! Menopause did the most important thing for me: it stopped my cramps! No more muss or fuss or pain. I am very grateful for that. I did not notice any help with my chest, however! And I started to lose hair in places where I was rather used to having some. Not that I was ever very hairy. I never had to shave my legs above my knees, for example. But my condition now is ridiculous! I am lucky I have extraordinarily thick hair on my head!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am happy for you, gemgirl, and I salute you! Menopause did the most important thing for me: it stopped my cramps! No more muss or fuss or pain. I am very grateful for that. I did not notice any help with my chest, however! And I started to lose hair in places where I was rather used to having some. Not that I was ever very hairy. I never had to shave my legs above my knees, for example. But my condition now is ridiculous! I am lucky I have extraordinarily thick hair on my head!

And for me, menopause was a blessing and finally the cure for my severe endometriosis. I suffered horribly with Endo for almost 20 yrs. Menopause does thin out and cause hair loss to eyebrows and eyelashes. I'm not too happy about that., and muscle tone goes south pretty quickly. :oops:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A day late but I am 256.6 today. Not as bad as I feared. I had a day of fun with a friend who is moving around the world. Started with espresso and ice cream and moved to corned beef hash, wine tasting, grilled cheese, and Starbucks.

254.4 on Sunday this week. Just have to keep it going!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just checking in again. I'm starting my running tomorrow and I'm nervous. I've never been a runner so I'm worried I won't be able to do it.
I get mixed opinions from people who run. Some hate it but love the results and others love it and love the results.
I am an avid walker but I remember the few times I've tried to run, I felt like I was dying. Lol!
Any pointers would be appreciated!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just checking in again. I'm starting my running tomorrow and I'm nervous. I've never been a runner so I'm worried I won't be able to do it.
...​

My pointer may not be useful to you, because you are an avid walker already. When I started running (it was more like jogging), I had been sedentary (which is always my default mode). My husband convinced me that I was capable of running if I started out with only one step a day, recorded it, and increased it very, very gradually. I actually did start out with only one or two steps a day and increased by tiny increments. Eventually I was able to go out the front door easily and run (albeit slowly) a mile and a half over to someone else's house-just as my means of transportation- without any exertion. A five mile run was do-able. And I am the most sedentary creature on earth, the girl who always tried to avoid gym class!

(I backslid since then. My exercise now is only walking the dog.)

AGBF

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get mixed opinions from people who run. Some hate it but love the results and others love it and love the results.
I am an avid walker but I remember the few times I've tried to run, I felt like I was dying. Lol!

Although you walk, you might need different equipment (runners) for running.

cheers--Sharon

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of equipment?

Runners. (sorry, I call my footwear equipment! )

I have different footwear depending on what I am doing...walking, running, cycling, at work (I am on my feet much of the day).

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What kind of equipment?

Runners. (sorry, I call my footwear "equipment!" )

I have different footwear depending on what I am doing...walking, running, cycling, at work (I am on my feet much of the day).

cheers--Sharon

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies! I normally wear Brooks so I'm hoping they will do the job for now since I'm starting with walking/running. Also, I recently bought a pair of Asics for runners. I can't remember the style though.
I will go get fitted once I'm certain this is something I am definitely going to pursue.
Right now the app is making me do walking and running intervals for only one or two minutes at a time so I'm hoping once I get more into it, I can get a serious pair of sneakers.
I appreciate your comments.
As a side note, the person I was supposed to start with today just cancelled on me. I'm upset but I think I will just go out tonight and try to do it on my own.

One last thing, is it better to do this at night or in the morning hours?

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies! I normally wear Brooks so I'm hoping they will do the job for now since I'm starting with walking/running. Also, I recently bought a pair of Asics for runners. I can't remember the style though.
I will go get fitted once I'm certain this is something I am definitely going to pursue.
Right now the app is making me do walking and running intervals for only one or two minutes at a time so I'm hoping once I get more into it, I can get a serious pair of sneakers.
I appreciate your comments.
As a side note, the person I was supposed to start with today just cancelled on me. I'm upset but I think I will just go out tonight and try to do it on my own.

One last thing, is it better to do this at night or in the morning hours?
I've been wearing Brooks for over 10 years and love them. I don't think it matters when you do it, you should do it when you can fit it in and make it a habit. Currently, I run in the morning before work, because I prefer to get my workout out of the way - I have a small child who consumes all my evenings.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had forgotten all that runner stuff. It is coming back to me as all of you discuss it! I had running shoes once. My husband and I used to go to a small store called "The Runner's Roost". I also remember shin splints and stretching before running to try to avoid them and all sorts of things I hadn't thought of in eons. I had to give up running-or felt I should-because I developed some feminine prolapse and didn't want to wind up having surgery. My GYN thought the constant pounding of running might be contributing to it. If I had really wanted to continue running, I would have and would have let the chips fall where they did. But I was content to switch to walking.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too Patient, well done on your weight loss!

I am having the worst diet week. I've had out-of-town guests to stay and they've kept me so busy I've had no time to make healthy meals, and also they kept taking me out and giving me treats.

I am dreading the scales this week!

Deb - you said you used to be over 200 lbs. How did you slim down, if you don't mind me asking?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb - you said you used to be over 200 lbs. How did you slim down, if you don't mind me asking?

I am always afraid that if I start to write an essay, it will be wiped off the face of the earth by the computer. Since it is only 5:40 AM here and I only stopped in to check a few favorite threads, I will try to be brief and to say more later.

I didn't "slim down" once. I slimmed down many times. I went up and down many times. I didn't have trouble losing weight. I just gained it far more easily than I lost it, because eating was far more enjoyable to me than doing without.

I lost weight once on Weight Watchers, although that isn't the only diet that worked for me. Actually more than once. The first time I did I was 12. I was 120 pounds in the sixth grade at age 12 and I went on the first Weight watchers diet, which my mother was on, because my parents said I could have a two piece bathing suit if I lost weight. So I got down to 99 pounds on that and got a two-piece bathing suit and was able to climb the ropes all the way to the ceiling in gym class for the first time. Later in life I lost weight on a newer Weight Watchers diet. (The first one had white bread and tomato juice as its staples.) I was then 5' 5" tall and reached a "goal weight' of 139 pounds and became a lifetime member and worked for Weight Watchers to stay in touch with the program.

More later!

Hugs,

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF, you worked hard at it and reaped the benefits! I'm impressed that you are such a longterm member of WW!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had a bad diet week and was dreading the scales, but I'm 194, so 2lbs lost from last Saturday!

I did make some healthy changes this week - home-made lunch to take to work and hit the gym for the first time in six months!

How is everyone else doing?

TooPatient, if I didn't say so before, congrats on your loss last week!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am currently at 128.5, down 1 lb from last week.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done! A pound is a pound!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm hovering around 175lb and wouldn't mind getting back down to 165 but that will probably take some effort which is something I am having trouble finding lately as I am barely getting a day to myself.

I shouldn't be too hard on myself considering I was 215lb about 18 months ago, I dropped around 45lb without much effort and I think I might be getting a little too focused on slimming down further.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, my dear friend! Did you think I could have existed this long if I had not been using Victoria's Secret? Of course I have! The problem is that when I was fitted for a bra (by my godson's wife, who managed a series of VS stores in Connecticut for many years), I was heavier and had some more-although not much more-in the breast department. All of my bras are 36C or 34C cups, although I never filled the C part out. When I went to the "Celebration of Life" event in my new size 4 dress it pressed me into my actual shape. I am now probably about 32 or 34 inches around the bust and an A cup. The C cup bra got compressed by the dress and didn't do its job. It's pretty much no use. I always wear the padded VS bras, but I have a chest like a boy's now.

Maybe Matata would like to share some of what she has....:wink2:
Go to Nordstrom. They have a wider selection of sizes. My mom got fitted there and she thought she was a 34c but turned out to be a 32DDD!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol I just weighed myself after eating brunch and I'm down 1.2 lbs! I'm at 1a6.0 lbs!

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium

You can do it!!! I have a love/hate relationship with running... I love it when I'm finished lol. I hate it before I set out. While I'm running some days are easier than others. Some days after a few minutes I want to stop but force on and others I feel like I'm light as a feather & it's easy.

When I first started running years ago I'd do a few minutes, stop walk, run, walk, run etc. Eventually you build up longer running times... So don't be discouraged if you have to break to walk when starting out. I went through the same thing with the elliptical - started off only being able to do a few minutes at a time but can now easily go an hour no problem.

Get to know your feet - everyone is different. I have flatter feet and am most comfortable in minimalist sneakers - super lightweight ones work best for me (I love New Balance) but I have friends who all swear by different brands.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to Nordstrom. They have a wider selection of sizes. My mom got fitted there and she thought she was a 34c but turned out to be a 32DDD!

Thank you for the tip, PintoBean. I hate to waste money, but I think I may have to buy new bras. My 36C and 34C bras, which have padded cups, flatten now. And that's ridiculous. I could use padding, but I wonder if I want to go natural and just be a 32A or whatever I am in some sort of comfortable T-shirt bra now. Or just have one padded bra. I am apparently fooling no one. The (very nice) woman across the street told me she wondered who was at my mailbox, then realized it was I and said I looked like a little kid. When I told a male friend, he said, "Yeah, you're so little and flat chested". (And that's wearing the padded Victoria's Secret bra every every day!)

Losing weight on your breasts is a result of weight loss, ladies, although most of you may start off with more than I did!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey ladies! Just checking in. I'm down to 135.5 from my last check in. I never did the run bc the person cancelled on me and then when we rescheduled for Sunday she cancelled again!
I think I just have to do it on my own.

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hey ladies! Just checking in. I'm down to 135.5 from my last check in. I never did the run bc the person cancelled on me and then when we rescheduled for Sunday she cancelled again!
I think I just have to do it on my own.

Definitely go for it on your own!! That way you never have to depend on anyone for your routine. Just stay safe! Running is the one thing I love to do alone. There was only 1 time ever that I actually enjoyed running with someone & it was during a 5k race with a girlfriend I hadn't seen in forever so we caught up (we weren't trying to win). Otherwise, I like to go by myself at my pace, listen to my tunes, and set my own goals for the run.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got on the scales early this week....I am down to 128.0, down a 1/2 lb since last Saturday....big weekend coming up and there will lots of partying with food and drinks...hopefully I can behave....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results