shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a good website for meal planning?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Thursday all!

Yesterday my husband was told that he can no longer bill overtime and his boss has threatened to fire him. Making a long story short, it all centers around boss telling DH he could bill overtime but after boss noticed he was billing overtime hours weekly (when he works on reports from home) he went into a rage, told DH he took advantage and said if he had his way he would be fired on the spot. Boss is taking a couple of days to "cool off" before my husband learns his fate.

Okay, so right off the bat we will be working with $150 less a week and I need an immediate solution to make it up. We have been paying someone $30 weekly to mow the lawn (because his wife was laid off to help him out) but we will be stopping that after today. We eat out at Moe's once a week to the tune of $22 for the four of us but we will be stopping that as well. That means I need to trim $100 off our food bill a week. Family of four, two kids aged 10 and 3, the little one is lactose intolerant and my husband is a diabetic so needs to eat low carb.

We have an Aldi's in town so I'm thinking of starting to shop there but I need some ideas for how to stretch the food as far as possible. I've tried looking at meal plans, freezer batch cooking but they center around pasta, rice, noodles.

Anyone have a cookbook, or site they love?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinterest. Just type in "low carb meals" or such. Start growing your own veggies, too. It's easy- lettuce grows insanely fast. Right now you can pick up already started tomatoes for a song, too.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sox! So it's not too late to plant veggies? Didn't consider that to be honest but I'm game. Confession though, never had a garden so do I just go to Lowes or Home Depot or is there somewhere else that's better for plants? I'm in zone 5 if that matters.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Sox! So it's not too late to plant veggies? Didn't consider that to be honest but I'm game. Confession though, never had a garden so do I just go to Lowes or Home Depot or is there somewhere else that's better for plants? I'm in zone 5 if that matters.

No- lettuce can be succession planted here (zone 5) almost all year. Home depot and lowes are the places to get the plants, yes. You can google raised bed gardens. My tomatoes are INSANE this year. I am going to have so much I won't be able to keep up. I also bought a peach tree for $25, planted it this spring and it's LOADED with peaches. I love Mass!

IMG_3014.JPG

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can grow grapes, peaches, plums, apples, etc here. The trees at Lowes are very cheap.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your peach tree is amazing! Thanks for your help, my kids will be thrilled as well, my older one has always wanted a garden.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any other areas you can cut back on? You don't go out much so you aren't saving a lot there.
Do you have cable? You could cut back by using Netflix instead.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've thought about this Elle, we are pretty bare bones. We don't have cable, we do have Netflix which is $10 a month. No home phone only internet. We have two cell phones which he gets a corporate discount on through AT&T. We have one car that's paid for, he has a company car with a 40 minute commute and they pay for his gas. Unfortunately we have some of the highest electric rates in my state so I'm constantly trying to keep our energy consumption low. I only drive when necessary so lately I can get by on a tank of gas a week.

Our downfall is we have pets, one of our dogs is on prescription food and we have three others, two cats, a rabbit and two birds. Almost all are rescues. I could possibly find a less expensive food for the dogs but there is not much that can be cut otherwise.

So that's why focusing on the food because it will produce the most immediate results. I could get a job but it would need to be at night since I have my three year old during the day.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand the difficulty. I think most of us have been there at one time or another. :confused:
Personally, I think pets are a lot like children. We love them and want the best for them so they are a high (but totally understandable expense IMO).

I guess food is your best bet then. I wish I could be more help on that front. I have a black thumb so gardening is a no no for me. Produce is expensive! If you can grow some, you'll save a bundle on that alone. Planning the meals out for the week could save you some money. No shopping with the DH or kids (they just love to throw extras in the cart :twisted:). Things like rice or pasta are inexpensive and can fill out any meal.

I use pinterest to plan out weekly lunches. It's a great source of info.

I hope things look up quickly for you and your family. :)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Elle! To be honest I was afraid to mention the pets because I know to a lot of people they are optional BUT they are part of the family for us.

I'm definitely going to check out Pinterest and at least attempt some gardening since it will be cheaper and fun for the kids.

He just needs to find a new job maybe this will be the kick in the pants he needs! Thanks for the well wishes :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Elle! To be honest I was afraid to mention the pets because I know to a lot of people they are optional BUT they are part of the family for us.

I'm definitely going to check out Pinterest and at least attempt some gardening since it will be cheaper and fun for the kids.

He just needs to find a new job maybe this will be the kick in the pants he needs! Thanks for the well wishes :)

I think once you own a pet, it's no longer optional. They are family!
I lived off ramen soup for way longer than I'd like to admit, while my babies (I've got 4 dogs and 2 cats) were eating the best foods. That's love! :kiss:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephanie, have you seen what the ladies do with stacking coupons at CVS? They basically stack coupons on top of sales, but then, they also get CVS money on the receipt that you can use as cash on your next trip. What ends up happening, if you do it right, is that you use cash only once and then you never use money again at CVS. It is a great way to get all toiletries and household items...basically for free. You can google how to do it and there are also a bunch of pinterest posts on it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Housecat! I have seen this and was doing it for diapers and formula, I stopped when we started shopping at Costco and pretty much forgot about it until you mentioned it here. We have a CVS right around the corner too so that is super convenient.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My area of expertise! I can stretch like no one's business!
Will start piling on yummy recipes when I get to my big computer.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! Call your cell phone company and see what special pricing they have. We have Verizon and I was surprised to learn that they have special deals that you only know about if you call to ask the billing department. Saved us $40/month the first time and a couple of months later they had another $60/month they dropped it.
Our bill got cut in half but we got way more service!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of you can Uber or Lyft drive at night/weekends. Easy money, and a good way to meet and network with all kinds of interesting folks.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Toopatient, wouldn't it be nice if they gave the loyal customers a heads up instead of us having to do the legwork?! I get it though, all a money game and shoot if I can reduce my bill by even $20, I'm game! Thanks for the suggestion

Monarch thanks for the suggestion, my only worry would be my car insurance, they don't allow a personal vehicle to be used to business purposes so I would have to get a commercial policy.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Toopatient, wouldn't it be nice if they gave the loyal customers a heads up instead of us having to do the legwork?! I get it though, all a money game and shoot if I can reduce my bill by even $20, I'm game! Thanks for the suggestion

Monarch thanks for the suggestion, my only worry would be my car insurance, they don't allow a personal vehicle to be used to business purposes so I would have to get a commercial policy.

If you are interested in becoming a Lyft driver, your auto insurance can give you a quote. It doesn't seem like it is that expensive: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/best-ridesharing-insurance/

Do you have a gym membership? Cutting that will save you $. How big is your home? Could you take in a boarder to help pay the bills?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi SMC,

No gym membership, I wouldn't use it anyway since I have a treadmill. Our house is small 1200 square feet so we can't fit anyone else here unfortunately.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd request a quote for a commercial policy and see if there's a cost-prohibitive difference. If you averaged 4x/week, $15/hour, 4 hour shifts, you could make $240/week. Enough to offset the cost of a commercial policy, put aside taxes, and cover your $150 loss/week, in my estimate.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the best way to economise, and this is going to sound ridiculous, is to only buy what you need. By that I mean, plan your meals for the week, make a list of what you'll need, and when you go shopping, only buy what's on the list. Don't be tempted by 'special offers' that you don't need, like buy one get one half price.

Also before you go shopping, check what you have in the cupboard and freezer, so you don't double up. Also look for less expensive versions of products you use a lot of, store brand rather than premium brand. I realise you're also dealing with dietary issues too, but you should be able to make savings by planning and sticking to your lists.

I don't know what the legal situation there regarding liability insurance,but could you dog walk other people's whilst your exercising your own to earn a bit extra?

Good luck ;-)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Austina! I actually went to Aldi's today and did pretty well. I probably bought a bit extra to try different things but right off the bat I spent $50 less than going to Costco. I have lots of hope now that the food will be a major player in getting ahead.

I'm going to look into that dog walking too. We have a lot of dogs around here and people that have to work so.....:)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Costco, but it's lethal going there, we always end up spending a fortune! We have Aldi here too, and they're much cheaper than the other big supermarkets, and good quality products, so no compromise.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck StephanieLynn! I like your ideas and I think dog walking for extra cash is a great idea too. And I completely agree with you and Austina in that we can spend so much more than we need to when we shop without following a strict list to adhere to. Hoping your situation improves and that in the meantime all these changes really add up and help. As for working out a treadmill and same free weights is all you need. And of course the fur babies are just as much part of your family as your dh and kids so they are non negotiable! Sending you lots of positive energy and good thoughts. (((Hugs))).

ETA Gorgeous peach tree Soxfan.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you be able to babysit another child in your home while you're with your youngest during the day? Around here I think sitters/daycare can get something around $25-30/day; that would come close to covering your $150...

Also back to the driving thing: what about food delivery? LoDel, Ubereats?
What about plasma donation? I see signs here all over the place advertising $280/month, which is a nice chunk of change for a couple hours a week. Not sure if your health situations would allow for it, but am just brainstorming on ways to come up with a little extra to cover you until your hubs finds something more lucrative.

Oh, also! I was at a breakfast meeting this morning and one of the guys was talking up this contraption called an egg cooker by Cuisinart. You can make 11 eggs at a time, poached/hard boiled/soft boiled/omelette style! He went on and on and on about it, and said his guests from Sweden loved the soft boiled eggs he made them. It's $29 at Bed, Bath, & Beyond and I'm sure you could find a coupon lying around if you shop there ever. Eggs are such a cheap source of protein, and if you can easily cook a bunch a few types of ways you could do a ton of recipes with eggs for your family.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008XBADD...t=&hvlocphy=9016568&hvtargid=pla-274115362528

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy bulk where I can. My favorite is called Cash & Carry. It supplies restaurants and those of us who buy bigger stuff.
50 pounds of onions = $7
15 dozen eggs = $10
25 pounds bread flour = $9
1 gallon bbq sauce = $9 (minus $6 coupon = $3!)
25 pounds tomatoes = $12
20 pounds broccoli = $7
12 hamburger buns = $1.50

They also have smaller quantities on a lot of stuff. The quality of meat and veggies is often far better than traditional grocery.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stuff that is easy to make fresh and saves a lot of money:

Salsa
Salad dressing
Pasta sauce
Chicken or beef stock
Breads

Salsa (basic):
1/2 an onion chopped up
2 cloves garlic
2-3 chipotle peppers
Handful cilantro
Juice 1 lemon or lime
Fresh tomatoes
Use food processor to chop up garlic & onion together. Add peppers & cilantro. Chop a bit. Add tomatoes (I use between 4-6 depending on what I have or want). Done when you like the consistency. (Play around to find how many peppers & tomatoes taste best to you)

Salsa (more work but yum):

Same as basic recipe, but modify..
Use your favorite dried pepper varieties. Soak in water to hydrate then blend in with the chipotle peppers. (I have 3-4 varieties usually so pick one or two and see how it turns out)
Use fewer tomatoes if a more peppery result wanted.

Salad dressing:
My current favorite thing is just a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

Fresh herbs:
Oregano from the garden. Blend with splash of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a small dab of mustard.
(Play around with different herb combinations and swap in different vinegars too)

Pasta sauce:

Choose both or none of onions and bell peppers. Dice.
Mushrooms (optional)
1 big can of diced tomatoes ($3 at C&C)
Fresh (or dry) oregano and/or basil

Brown the onions/peppers. Add the mushrooms if using. Cook until smells yummy. Add tomatoes and herbs. Simmer until the thickness you want.

Chicken stock:
Cheapest way is to save the bones (raw) of whole chickens you cook. (Ask butcher to remove back and keep that)
Brown the bones in a splash of oil.
Add diced onions.
Add a combination of: garlic, celery, mushrooms, carrots, and whatever veggies you have around. (Great use for slightly past prime veggies that are still good but a little less crisp than you'd like)
Add water to cover. Simmer as long as you want.

Beef stock:
Same as above but watch for soup bones, manager special discount roast, or whatever is cheap.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
StephanieLynn check out this website to see if there are any good recipes for you and your family here.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/01/45-budget-friendly-low-carb-recipes/

My fave dish that I can actually make on my own (impressive to me since I don't cook) is quinoa and beans but I know that has carbs and I am not sure it is OK for your dh. But it is so cheap and super easy. I soak the beans (black beans usually) overnight then boil them the next day and I put the quinoa in our rice maker (you probably have one of these) or you can cook it in a pot on the stove top in a pot or pan and it takes a lot less time than rice. We add olive oil to the quinoa in the rice maker for healthy fats. Season to taste. My dh adds red pepper and a few other ingredients when he is making it. And voilà- a complete protein and healthy meal. It really is a hearty delicious meal and I add it to a nice fresh salad.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/49552/quinoa-and-black-beans/

http://www.elizabethrider.com/superfood-black-bean-quinoa-salad-recipe/

black-bean-quinoa-salad.jpg

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
You've gotten some GREAT suggestions already, but I wanted to a couple more that haven't really been touched on:

First...non-animal sources of protein. Start looking at adding beans/lentils/etc to stretch or replace animal protein. You can easily halve or eliminate the ground beef in chili, tacos, etc. by using combinations of beans and lentils. The caveat to my suggestion: I have no idea how these guys rank on the carb scale for your husband.

Also, pre-bagged frozen veggies (and fruit, too!) can be cheaper than fresh...and some of the prep work is done for you! Frozen broccoli is my go-to. Usually cheaper per pound AND they've already cut it into florets!

And my last suggestion...if you're shopping Aldi and Costco you might already be doing this, but don't buy the individual yogurts (or anything that comes pre-portioned). Buy the one large yogurt and portion out the right amount into a mason jar or other container. That also leaves you room to add your own oomph (frozen blueberries are great...as they thaw, they release their juices!) so you can buy the lower-carb plain yogurt instead of one of the sweetened varieties.

Good luck, and I hope things end up positively for your husband!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results