shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an upgrade on a 2 carat Princess AGS 0

tonyjlopez

Rough_Rock
4 1/2 years ago, with the help of a number of very gracious people at these forums, I bought my wife a beautiful 2.05 carat AGS 0 Princess diamond ring from James Allen for our 20th anniversary. The diamond is absolutely stunning. Unfortunately, we also got a setting with channel set diamonds and without a halo - which was a very popular style at the time - and remains popular. And now our tastes have changed. We want to change to a halo setting.

If you look through my history the specifics of the diamond and images are posted.

Let me add that James Allen absolutely rocked in helping us with choosing a perfect diamond.

Strangely enough, no one ever notices the ring when she wears it, despite the incredible light action of the diamond. The channel set setting was probably already dated at the time that we purchased it, so we are guessing that is why I part it goes unnoticed. I think that the setting itself is not as impressive or noticeable as the halo settings, but regardless, 4 1/2 years later, my wife and I have both caught up with popular fashion and indeed prefer a halo setting. So I am thinking of an upgrade on the setting for our 25th anniversary which comes up in February 2018. and while I am at it, why not an upgrade on the size of the diamond as well? So I have a number of questions relating to this before we move forward.

1) What is the usual policy at internet retailers like James Allen when it comes to changing settings and upgrading diamonds? We were extremely satisfied with James Allen, and would want to use them exclusively for the upgrade. Do they give any credit for the return of the diamond and setting? What is the usual credit? We also bought a new wedding ring with channel set princess diamonds. Will they allow a trade in on that too so we can get something that matches the new setting?

2) At the time that we bought the diamond, everyone here recommended that we stick to an AGS 0 and put less emphasis on clarity and a little less on color. Incredibly wonderful and sound advice as you all know. I don't remember all of the other diamonds characteristics offhand, but I believe it was it is a VS1 H color. Our criteria in looking for a diamond at the time was at least AGS 0, VS2, and I color. And an ideal sized table - not too large. The diamond we bought was personally picked out by James Schultz using our criteria- and he did not disappoint us. In hand it has incredible light reflection, and 95% of it glimmers brightly. We have absolutely no regrets about following everyone's advise - the diamond is gorgeous. My plan for the upgrade is to stay with an AGS 0 as an absolute criteria if that is still a valid strategy. Has anything changed in the diamond grading standards since we bought our diamond in 2013? What do we need to know now to get another stunning sparkly diamond?

3) I have periodically checked the diamond listings at James Allen. I notice that when I look for a "true hearts" Princess cut diamond over 2 carats - there have generally been zero listings. Right now there are none Occasionally one will be listed, but nothing over 2 1/2 carats ever. If I switch the style to Cushion cut - a bunch of listings appear. Is there a reason why Princess diamonds that are > 2.0 carats are never listed? Is it because it is difficult to find larger AGS 0 Princess cut diamonds vs. other cuts? Or is it just that Princess cut diamonds are unpopular, so they make less of them? We still prefer the Princess cut over all others, and the plan is to get a 2.5 carat + AGS 0 Princess cut and put it in a Halo setting. If a larger Princess that is equally stunning compared to what we have now can be found.

4) Has the marketplace/prices changed significantly since early 2013 when we purchased our diamond? Up or down and by what percentage?

Thanks for any input. It is very much appreciated!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! Such a sweet idea. I'll know off a few of the questions and let others jump in on the others

"Strangely enough, no one ever notices the ring when she wears it, despite the incredible light action of the diamond."

Is it possible that the issue is not the setting, but that you just don't encounter people who notice or will comment on jewelry. Perhaps when newly engaged, rings are gushed over. Otherwise, it is pretty uncommon (and could be considered rude for strangers) to comment on a ring. People generally just don't care that much about jewelry.

Change the setting if you like, our tastes change, but I don't think you should expect people to act differently...particularly, if the halo is the 'standard' one you see out there (single row of pave on a pave band).At a quick glance, to the majority, they all look the same.

If you want attention, look at something outside the limits of the trend. Adding colored diamonds or gemstones will also help as it breaks out of the expected halo, but is still very much on trend. You can design something 'on trend' without it looking exactly like every other halo ring.

images

upload_2017-7-22_7-43-1.jpeg
32.jpg

12.jpg

1) What is the usual policy at internet retailers like James Allen when it comes to changing settings and upgrading diamonds?
FROM JA Any loose diamond purchased from James Allen can be exchanged at 100% credit for any replacement diamond of at least 2X or greater value. The diamond that is being upgraded must be in original condition and accompanied by the original laboratory grading document.

JA does not consign settings or wedding bands, so you will have to sell those privately (assuming you can't use the wedding band stones in a halo design or new setting). JewelsbyGrace and LoveAffairDiamonds both consign for certain items or you can try to sell on the LoupeTroop and DiamondBistro.

I have periodically checked the diamond listings at James Allen. I notice that when I look for a "true hearts" Princess cut diamond over 2 carats - there have generally been zero listings
JA does not have many in TrueHearts, nor many other vendors in large size/high clarity, because Princess cuts are really not popular. So, they don't cut many. Brian Gavin (few over 1.5 c) and GoodOldGold (2 over 2.0 carat) have more options for princess cuts (and GOG will consign rings). WF has none over 2.0 carats. If you are open to other shapes, like a cushion and rounds, you will widen your options. Adiamor has 'Affinity' cut and more options over 2.0 carats (although, I can't speak for the company).

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/3.12-ct-F-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Princess-Diamond/D40486677
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/H-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Princess-Diamond/D40441013

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I have a princess cut and love it. Really nice ones in the larger sizes seem tricky to find. If you love your stone maybe just adding a lovely halo setting would be perfect. A halo even a delicate one really will increase the size of the ring quite a bit.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to look back at your old thread and see the photo of the ring. Your wife's princess cut seems very pretty! It is sparkly and white and it looks wonderful on her hand! The current inventory of well cut princess cuts is definitely slim as it seems that they have gone down in popularity, but they are still pretty nonetheless! I second what @Rivendell said which is to simply change the setting without changing the stone and I would not use JA for that. Their settings are decent, but nothing noteworthy in my opinion. Depending on the style you are interested in, I would use Steven Kirsch or CvB Inspired for a beautiful custom piece that will perfectly match the stone.
Here is an old thread with a princess cut reset that was done by SK with a 2ct princess cut: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/introducing-my-new-steven-kirsch-reset.185931/
A friend's of mine halo was done by SK and it is exquisite! Steven is super easy to communicate with, too.
CvB, I would use if you want something a bit more unusual and vintage inspired. Caysie always has great design ideas, so you can always reach out to her.
I would use the stones from her existing rings to create a new band, a PS member recently did something similar with David Klass: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...evamped-wedding-band-from-david-klass.230853/

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to ask the question, do you/your wife clean the diamond regularly?

If not, hot tapwater, a toothbrush and some non-abrasive hand soap each night before bed should strip any grease and dust off it that it's picked up during the day, and if you dry it thoroughly with some low-fluff kitchen towel, it will remove the water from it before it has a chance to dry and potentially leave any water/limescale marks :)

It will then perform to its maximum potential each day!

flash_and_fire

Rough_Rock
I second the notion of putting a halo on an already beautiful diamond and put the money into making the setting as beautiful as the diamond.

Here is an interesting read about diamonds and social circles in the forum Diamond Hangout: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-your-social-circle-care-about-jewelery.223755/ If this isn't a clickable link, you can go the forum and search social circles. There have been many interesting similar threads.

Good luck, your wife is one lucky lady!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or is it just that Princess cut diamonds are unpopular, so they make less of them?

I'd say it is so among the Ideal (branded) diamonds.

Moreover, a series of revival old brilliant styles took over the non-round high optics shelf. JA does not have them.

Digressing,
What are the IMHO news:
Most square diamonds among these new 'idealized' cut models are brilliant cushions (OMC) - plenty of them on record WWW ! ... Then, GemConcepts proposes two types of squares with sharp corners - THIS & THIS. The square outine is perhaps the only thing that these have in common with the Princess cut model ... The larger facets - all the rage because FIRE ! (dispersion) - are a somewhat different look (OK, some AGS Princess cuts had relatively larger facets, but not like these !).

I cannot rememeber any ring with a large main stone of the letter mentioned kinds of squares - around here. This WWW exists. If you might be interested in the other square cut, yours would be a first larger main stone - within ear-shot.

We still prefer the Princess cut over all others, and the plan is to get a 2.5 carat + AGS 0 Princess cut and put it in a Halo setting. If a larger Princess that is equally stunning compared to what we have now can be found.

I wonder if any such diamond exists on the market !

Nonetheless, I imagine you could have one cut. A few brave folks have had diamonds cut on order for upgrades ... also at Infinity Diamonds @Wink , who used to produce AGS0 princess cuts back in the days of yore.

[Disclosing alterior motives for the long rant: I love P... Ref. recent thread. ]

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results