shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Ring Upgrade

Susan Trade

Rough_Rock
My husband bought me a Tiffany e-ring and we are looking to upgrade. Tiffany will allow for the upgrade but there are now so many other options I'm feeling overwhelmed. If I'm interested in a 1.25 or so size, what is your advice? I am unsure if others sell a style that really looks as classy as the classic solitaire. Would going with Blue Nile or something really be $4000 cheaper (the cost of my original ring). I would love advice from this group!

Sponsored By:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty much any PS poster will tell you that you will get much more for your money by not purchasing another Tiffany. There are many settings that are very similar to the classic Tiffany (some more refined, IMO).

Some that come to mind:
Vatche U-113
CVB "Jovyn" (shown in avatar)
BN's Petite Nouveau
WF's Tiffany Repro

What is your budget and desired specs?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just realized you asked about setting styles other than a solitaire... oops! :) That's totally a matter of preference...

Susan Trade

Rough_Rock
No, I like the tiffany setting. It is just that the other ones look a bit "off." I'm going to check the ones you suggest! So you think I'd still be better off with something else, even though we spent $4,000 on the diamond from Tiffany?

Susan Trade

Rough_Rock
Oh, I'd like to do about an F, VS 1, and 1.25

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'd like to do about an F, VS 1, and 1.25

I'd go G/VS2 (or even eye-clean SI1) and get more diamond... if you'd like a larger one, that is. :) You won't be able to tell the difference in an F and G color, so no use spending extra on something the eye can't appreciate. :)

If you tell me your budget, I can show you some comps.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I like the tiffany setting. It is just that the other ones look a bit "off." I'm going to check the ones you suggest! So you think I'd still be better off with something else, even though we spent $4,000 on the diamond from Tiffany?

I won't say "better off"... but you will be able to spend less and get more for your money with a non-Tiffany ring. You will likely get a better cut diamond as well...

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your money will certainly go much farther if you upgrade elsewhere. What are the specs for your current Tiffany e-ring? Perhaps you can purchase a second e-ring and sell your original on the secondary market. Another option will be to upgrade it to a right hand three stone ring for example, if you want to keep it.
What is your budget for the upgrade?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I like the tiffany setting. It is jus that the other ones look a bit "off."

If you desire a six prong solitaire that is similar to the Tiffany, then any of those I mentioned will be very nice. However, if you want the closest replica to the Tiffany, the Vatche U-113 is the closest, then the WF. I think the only real difference with the U-113 is that the shank may be just a bit thinner (many have said that the SA's at T&Co couldn't tell the difference).

If you want something similar, yet a little more unique and/or customizable, then the Jovyn would be my choice... but I'm biased, as this is what I have. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your money will certainly go much farther if you upgrade elsewhere. What are the specs for your current Tiffany e-ring? Perhaps you can purchase a second e-ring and sell your original on the secondary market. Another option will be to upgrade it to a right hand three stone ring for example, if you want to keep it.
What is your budget for the upgrade?

This exactly... Tiffany will get a premium second hand. You could also have it set as a pendant and sell the setting. Lots of people want a Tiffany setting, but not have to pay the Tiff prices.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love Tiffany but cannot dispute your money will go farther "elsewhere".

That said, if your Tiffany salesperson knows your stone parameters/preferences/what you are looking for in terms for proportions (cut quality) they can vet stones for you. I did this for a diamond pendant. I got exactly what I wanted. Beautifully cut stone.

cheers--Sharon

Susan Trade

Rough_Rock
Thank you all! In response to your questions, I am really focused on a 1.25 or 1.3, nothing bigger and nothing smaller. My current ring is .59 VS2, F. So, if I get it there, Ill get about 4K off the sales price. I guess I'm wondering if this will be the best for me. I'm finding all this looking for stones and settings to be stressful because I don't know if I will like the end product. Then again, I don't really know what to ask for beyond the size and it is really unclear what the end price will be at T. The CVB does look nice!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all! In response to your questions, I am really focused on a 1.25 or 1.3, nothing bigger and nothing smaller. My current ring is .59 VS2, F. So, if I get it there, Ill get about 4K off the sales price. I guess I'm wondering if this will be the best for me. I'm finding all this looking for stones and settings to be stressful because I don't know if I will like the end product. Then again, I don't really know what to ask for beyond the size and it is really unclear what the end price will be at T. The CVB does look nice!

My advice is to go to your local Tiffany store. First, try on the carat weight you desire. See how you feel about that...and go from there.

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My advice is to go to your local Tiffany store. First, try on the carat weight you desire. See how you feel about that...and go from there.

cheers--Sharon

Leave your wallet at home. This is just a reconn mission :roll:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Susan Trade

Rough_Rock
OK, so I tried it on in 1.25 and really love it. But it is unclear how they "look up" the price and what diamonds are available. What should I be asking for. Does anyone know what price is reasonable for this size from Tiffany's?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't know how much mark up is on a Tiffany, but their website says a 1 carat classic engagement ring starts at 13k and a 1.5 (they didn't have a 1.25) starts at 24k. They didn't list any specs on Tiffany, but an average btw 1&1.5 is around 18ish. Because stones over a carat cost more per carat, they probably want closer to (starting from) $20k. (What did they quote you? And for what specs?)

The stone @MissGotRocks posted above - the GVS2 ACA H&A - is under $11k. A Tiffany style setting (vatche u-113, or CVB jovyn, for instance) will be far less than the $7k difference to have the Tiffany. (so good you could pretend you took a $4k trade-in on your current stone and KEEP it for a pendant or something)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so I tried it on in 1.25 and really love it. But it is unclear how they "look up" the price and what diamonds are available. What should I be asking for. Does anyone know what price is reasonable for this size from Tiffany's?

Glad you loved the size. I have been to Tiffany stores all over the world and was provided the diamond cost. They look on their own available database an prove you options.

cheers-=Sharon

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Jovyn is pretty, but the classic copy of the Tiffany solitaire is this by Brian Gavin, it might not look like it but I've helped people buy it and seen it in person and it's a very good likeness;

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/e...assic-style-knife-edge-18k-white-gold-5336w18

But to be honest my own personal preference is for the same ring but with the rounded comfort fit band;

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/e...assic-style-half-round-18k-white-gold-5478w18

You should be able to sell your existing Tiffany ring via something like Loupetroop or Ebay and get a decent amount for it. You will pay more for a smaller diamond from Tiffany so it's a matter of if you want to stick with something that has the label or get more for you money.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second arkieb1's recommendation to look into BGDs classic solitaire. The half round is definitely my preference as I think that it is more comfortable than the knife edge style.

Here are a few other stones for consideration: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d.../1.237-g-vs1-round-diamond-bkags-104093730009
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d.../1.308-f-vs1-round-diamond-bkags-104092831012

(BGD also has 10% off till the end of the week)

Another idea - have you tried the three stone rings at Tiffany with a 1.2-1.3 center stone? You can always use the stone from your current e-ring as a side stone and add another matching stone. That way you can keep the old and the new. Sample here:
http://m-international.tiffany.com/engagement/rings/round-brilliant-three-stone?tfr=1

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_2445.JPG I'm a threestone girl. A 1.3 combined with your current stone and a match would be fabulous!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2445.JPG I'm a threestone girl. A 1.3 combined with your current stone and a match would be fabulous!
That is a gorgeous ring @rocks! :love: What are the specs?

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Center is 1.75 fvs1, xxx. Sides are .63 and .64 xxx. One is an esi1 and the other is an fsi1. Recently, I upgraded my sides from .45 each dvs2's.....a smidge too small. Threestone is handmade. Band is Tiffany Elsa peretti. Ring size is about 4.75.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results