shape
carat
color
clarity

Budget ring 1500$~ pls advice

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Did your budget increase OP?

If its 100-200 over $1000 for a diamond its no problem. But it has to be then "worth" it. If something come up please let me know otherwise 0.45ct will be the chosen one :)

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for it. I think it makes sense for you to get the diamond and ring in the same place- I can't see how you'd get a custom ring or even a stock setting ring with pave diamonds made in Europe for $600-$800 plus VAT. Plus you'd have more decisions to make and it would probably take lots of time. I think you're getting something really amazing for your budget with the JA combination!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you keep looking you'll keep turning up suitable stones- at some point you need to make a decision! Personally I like the H and the I you have on hold already.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Didnt knew that JA product details info for setting is quite misleading information. Asked from chat agent that how much would be my total carat weight on that setting. Product details shows TOTAL CARAT (MIN) 0.23 Ctw.

He gave me example of customer who bought with 0.50ct center stone and he had.

"looking over a previously purchased image with a 0.50ct center diamond, I am counting 16 diamonds in the halo, and 7 diamonds on each side, 14 total on the sides

each pave diamond is 0.006ct in size, the setting is 1.8mm in width
The diamonds that surround the center diamond are all 0.006ct each"

So in this case its 30x0.006=0.18ctw in setting. Even though product details shows minimun 0.23ctw...kind of wrong information given. Or is this normal in jewelry business?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didnt knew that JA product details info for setting is quite misleading information. Asked from chat agent that how much would be my total carat weight on that setting. Product details shows TOTAL CARAT (MIN) 0.23 Ctw.

He gave me example of customer who bought with 0.50ct center stone and he had.

"looking over a previously purchased image with a 0.50ct center diamond, I am counting 16 diamonds in the halo, and 7 diamonds on each side, 14 total on the sides

each pave diamond is 0.006ct in size, the setting is 1.8mm in width
The diamonds that surround the center diamond are all 0.006ct each"

So in this case its 30x0.006=0.18ctw in setting. Even though product details shows minimun 0.23ctw...kind of wrong information given. Or is this normal in jewelry business?

D, the setting's halo and shank will contain enough diamonds to (1) use in the halo to wrap around it, and (2) go down the shank. Each person's diamond will be a different diameter, thus requiring a different number of stones to encircle it. Also, a smaller ring size will require fewer diamonds on the shank than a larger size. Because of these things, the quantity of diamonds will be different, changing the total carat weight.

This is trivial. The ring will have the same look, regardless of the amount of diamonds. Please don't get wrapped up in total carat weight in the setting. It is what it is... if the stone were larger, it would have more diamonds (greater tcw), and if it were smaller, it would have even less (less tcw).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you keep looking you'll keep turning up suitable stones- at some point you need to make a decision! Personally I like the H and the I you have on hold already.

100% agree.
I'm just gonna come out and say it... if you mess around and entertain every single suggestion, you're going to miss the sale at JA. PULL. THE. TRIGGER. It's time.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
D, the setting's halo and shank will contain enough diamonds to (1) use in the halo to wrap around it, and (2) go down the shank. Each person's diamond will be a different diameter, thus requiring a different number of stones to encircle it. Also, a smaller ring size will require fewer diamonds on the shank than a larger size. Because of these things, the quantity of diamonds will be different, changing the total carat weight.

This is trivial. The ring will have the same look, regardless of the amount of diamonds. Please don't get wrapped up in total carat weight in the setting. It is what it is... if the stone were larger, it would have more diamonds (greater tcw), and if it were smaller, it would have even less (less tcw).

+1 thanks...4hrs im at home and will buy that!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's good news, D! Did you decide which stone it will be?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That H also looks great. H color is personally my sweet spot. love to see it when it is all put together, it should look really good.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D, I think that that's going to look superb :)

Really exquisite!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! From 9th of June I made my first post here. I think I've spend all summer here asking questions....

Next job is to find me a ring ;-) Should I start another thread for it :lol:...just joking...dont worry, it will be easy thing.

I will post immeadiately photos of the ring once I have received it! Cant wait!!! This is so much fun.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!! I'm so happy you pulled the trigger! It's going to be gorgeous!!! :love::love::appl::appl:

EllieTO

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You did it!!!! :clap: I'm so excited for you and can't wait to see the finished ring on her hand!

May I take this opportunity to bring this post from July 8 to your attention, and just say... I told you so! :dance: Ok, the setting didn't end up being exactly the same, but that's because you broke the rules and increased your budget.

I'm just wondering why you've totally ruled out James Allen? I think you can get a beautiful brand new ring in your budget that will be very similar to the ebay one, but you'll have peace of mind and a reliable return policy, just in case. It seems like you don't really want the hassle of dealing with private sellers, and being in Europe makes it a bit harder too.
I think either of these settings posted previously would leave enough room for a nice diamond.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-halo-engagement-ring-round-center-item-18301
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ellis-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53050
I wouldn't go with the one JA recommended for you, with the pave band, because it doesn't leave enough budget for the diamond.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How awesome is this! Glad you decided. The ring will be gorgeous. Do not worry one bit. Maybe the ring she liked from Tiffany was her "inspired" choice but you did great. ;-) Sometimes in the world of diamonds, there's give & take. You had to up your budget a bit but wow, what a ring you got. :) I look forward to pics but most of all, I look forward to her reaction in knowing that you scoured the globe to make her a ring she & you, would be so proud to wear. :clap:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOOHOO! I've been swamped at the office (pulled 2 all-nighters), so this evening is the first time in the past several days I've been able to pop into Pricescope to see how you were faring. I know this quest has been more of a roller coaster ride, and took longer than you were expecting, but I predict you -- and she -- will be bowled over by the ring! Cheers to you for being so very attentive and thoughtful!!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So happy for you!!! You will love it and so will she. Congratulations! :appl:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done- it is going to be so beautiful! I am very excited for you and your soon to be fiancée. :dance:

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for kind words and most of all what kind of a SUPPORT I have received!! Without this forum I probably have ended up some overpriced local market ring.

This forum got something that most of other forums dont. So amazed!!!

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I love the H color diamond you eventually picked!

For your own wedding band I strongly encourage you to go and see Malminkorupaja. They are excellent on bands, absolutely no point buying that online. I have zero interest with them, but know for a fact that they do excellent work on bands and have great prices.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
I love the H color diamond you eventually picked!

For your own wedding band I strongly encourage you to go and see Malminkorupaja. They are excellent on bands, absolutely no point buying that online. I have zero interest with them, but know for a fact that they do excellent work on bands and have great prices.

Thanks,

Actually I made some research from local jewelry and asked how much would cost almost same like I ordered from JA, also mention that I need only setting price for a 0.49ct diamond.

Offers what I got was lowest with malminkorupaja about €1800 which is like $2000. Lindroos was over 4000euros but their band included 26x0.02 diamonds in the band so hard to compare.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Any progress? As long as it's returnable, you should be okay.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Any progress? As long as it's returnable, you should be okay.

I should receive email confirmation when order moves into production. Nothing new since I made the order but guess its going to take time anyway.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
D: with malminkorupaja you do need to negotiate the price ;-) And by a simple halo I meant one without diamonds in the shank, only around the center stone. I got a quote myself for this kind of a ring which was 1000 EUR a while back. I like to dictate how high the stone is going sit, how much the band is going to be tapered etc, so custom more to my liking.

If you are not going to put diamonds in your (men's) ring, the price of the ring is the price of gold + labor. Since you'll be paying +24 per cent VAT on your order from the US, I'd assume it's not worth the hassle. But comparing prices should be relatively easy. Locally you can have the ring sized, decide the exact width and finishing texture. For example by husbands ring was hammered for texture and my friend's was made matte.

If you want to order the ring from JA, by all means do. I like the company very much myself, and I'm sure they will deliver.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results