shape
carat
color
clarity

Help name the new PriceScope forum category

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yay! Sounds fun! I've so much beautiful crystal and amazing, delicate, no-one-would-ever-know fake jewelry to show!

That's my suggested name: Fabulous Fakery

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My goal is to have a place to talk about all the other beautiful bling that we do not have a place for

Another option is to remove a restriction on a current forum such as "Jewelry Pieces".
I think it would generate enough traffic to warrant a forum by itself.

Im am liking the catch all phrase:
"All Else That Glitters"

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goal is to have a place to talk about all the other beautiful bling that we do not have a place for

Another option is to remove a restriction on a current forum such as "Jewelry Pieces".

I've long thought that expensive lab made coloured stone synthetics and expensive antique lab made synthetics should be allowed to be posted in CS alongside the $10.00 topazes, citrines, amethysts and so on. And your new forum should be more geared towards the things that aren't man made versions that chemically copy real stones that are true "faux," i.e paste/cheaper imitation stones.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the negative association the word "faux" carries. There's a huge trend of "yes it's real, bc it exists, look it's right here" as a snap back to people asking those types of questions to the diamond alternative brides. Calling it "fake" makes it feel inferior, so they may be less inclined to participate.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After reading others opinions as to why the name shouldn't include faux I agree and like the name options such as:

"All else that glitters" or "Other bling"

EC8

Shiny_Rock
I think it would generate enough traffic to warrant a forum by itself.

Im am liking the catch all phrase:
"All Else That Glitters"

+1 for All Else That Glitters

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Everything Else"

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All that Glitters.
It implies inclusiveness, not segregation.

Plus it's got the nod to the quote/song "all that glitters is/isn't gold.."

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All that Glitters.

Hmmmm, thinking about it from the POV of new people coming here if they see All That Glitters won't they think, what is that?

I'm all for leaving out the word "faux" but it doesn't mean you still can't label it more appropriately so new people know what that section actually is.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fun Faux

- Faux Fun means something else

- out of materials without intrinsic value in all or in part, it is such a Big Deal, done for so many reasons, in its own intense world of styles - the one thing I could say in general has to do with the quality of Fun:
dead-serious fun,
lighthearted fun,
traditional fun,
outsider fun,
fun with &
fun of,
etc ...

Last edited:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All that Glitters.

Actually, I like this approach - it's more elegant and direct than "all else that glitters" - but I'd go one step further.

Use the whole saying, and name the new forum "All That Glitters Is Not Gold." Add an explanation, i.e., that this is a place to discuss any jewelry that doesn't fall in any of the other gemstone or jewelry categories.

That's what newcomers would see, and it would give them a pretty clear indication of what that forum is all about.

Of course it will come to be known as "All that glitters" or ATG in PS discussion anyway, in say about a day! :wink2:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would opt for, "Tchotchkes" :)

These are trinkets, old things, old jewelry, just all this stuff.

From Merriam-Webster:
"many words for "miscellaneous objects" or "nondescript junk" decorate our language. Knickknack,doodad,gewgaw, and whatnotare some of the more common ones. While many such words are of unknown origin, we know that tchotchke comes from the Yiddish tshatshke of the same meaning, and ultimately from a now-obsolete Polish word, czaczko.Tchotchke is a pretty popular word these days, but it wasn't commonly used in English until the 1970s."

It also has some Brooklyn/New York flair to it, and given that NY is still the biggest origin of jewelry in the US...

Last edited:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dont like "all that glitters" because it includes everything and would cause confusion. Earth mined diamonds glitter too! At least how I read it, english not being my first language. I prefer the more straight forward, man-made and synthetics or costume jewelry.
I think one difficult thing about creating a forum like this is that someone who bought a lab diamond, for instance for an ER, may not like discussing their lab created diamond (same material as original) in the same forum as synthetics (other material than the original) because it implies that lab created should be considered the same as synthetics (=lower quality/status/fake/etc). Not sure how to solve that issue though, other than allowing lab stones in smtb/rt/cs.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why can't earth mind jewelry also participate in that all-inclusive show off subforum? Do we need to separate evryone?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really not a fan of "otherness"

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think one difficult thing about creating a forum like this is that someone who bought a lab diamond, for instance for an ER, may not like discussing their lab created diamond (same material as original) in the same forum as synthetics (other material than the original) because it implies that lab created should be considered the same as synthetics (=lower quality/status/fake/etc). Not sure how to solve that issue though, other than allowing lab stones in smtb/rt/cs.

"Synthetic" does not mean other material than the original. Synthetic = lab grown, same material as original. e.g. A synthetic ruby is corundum.
"Imitation" means other material than the original. e.g. An imitation ruby could be glass or anything else.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"Synthetic" does not mean other material than the original. Synthetic = lab grown, same material as original. e.g. A synthetic ruby is corundum.
"Imitation" means other material than the original. e.g. An imitation ruby could be glass or anything else.

Sorry, my mistake. :wavey:
https://www.gia.edu/gem-synthetic

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also thinking that often there is a mixture of real and synthetic stones, too. Like diamonds and synthetic sapphires in antique bracelets. Or a real garnet and whatever they call "Bohemian garnets" they are often fake (and sometimes real). These would probably belong into synthetic section, but the name should not be "fake" as it could be a mix.

Maybe Glitz?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest avoiding "All That Glitters." There is a website with that name which sells gemstones. I would think it might get confusing, or there may be newcomers who think we are related somehow to that other site... http://atggems.com/

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would not expect diamonds to ever mix with the others - they'd get lost !

_______
Does anyone else think that 'Faux' is not fake - i.e. imitation is not the intent ? (what do the French do !)

I did take the word use from a certain bubble of all things style, where other things do not matter, except for the collection priveé.

Last edited:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of expanding the "Jewelry Pieces" thread to include other materials. Right now, it often is super slow there, so this would be a way to pick up the traffic.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still like "All That Glitters". It isn't the name of this website, so why would there be any cause for confusion even some website (some minor website, since I never heard of it!) exists with that name?

AGBF
:read:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF

Google fills pages with very random stuffs with more or less the expected property

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Fab Faux Fun for me!!!!!!!!!!!

I like having a distinction between natural and faux.....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF

Google fills pages with very random stuffs with more or less the expected property

Could you tell me a little more about what you mean here, Ana? I am not sure I understand exactly what you are saying. Sorry.

Deb

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like simply - "Fabulous Faux".

If you make it too wordy, you lose the light hearted "we know what we're talking about" cool snappy eye wink feeling. Just "Fabulous Faux".

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like simply - "Fabulous Faux".

If you make it too wordy, you lose the light hearted "we know what we're talking about" cool snappy eye wink feeling. Just "Fabulous Faux".

I agree with this. If we go with the "Fabulous Faux" I think "Fun" should be omitted. If we go with "All That Glitters", I think that "Else" should be omitted.

Deb
:read:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would opt for, "Tchotchkes" :)

These are trinkets, old things, old jewelry, just all this stuff.

From Merriam-Webster:
"many words for "miscellaneous objects" or "nondescript junk" decorate our language. Knickknack,doodad,gewgaw, and whatnotare some of the more common ones. While many such words are of unknown origin, we know that tchotchke comes from the Yiddish tshatshke of the same meaning, and ultimately from a now-obsolete Polish word, czaczko.Tchotchke is a pretty popular word these days, but it wasn't commonly used in English until the 1970s."

It also has some Brooklyn/New York flair to it, and given that NY is still the biggest origin of jewelry in the US...

LOL! You have to be a native New Yorker! So funny.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you tell me a little more about what you mean here, Ana? I am not sure I understand exactly what you are saying. Sorry.

Deb

Running a general Google search for 'all that glitters' brings up quite a few things that are not at all related to jewelry.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Running a general Google search for 'all that glitters' brings up quite a few things that are not at all related to jewelry.

Thank you for explaining. For our purposes, that would not be a problem, however.

Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results