shape
carat
color
clarity

Budget ring 1500$~ pls advice

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You absolutely do need to decide! Don't miss out on the discount, the timing couldn't be better, it's MEANT to be!

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do not miss out on this deal! Lurkers are all about. Put the diamond you want on hold asap! Both the H that Neil suggested and the I suggested are great choices. You will not notice the mm difference in spread its too minimal especially in a halo. I owned an excellent cut I before and never saw any color by the way. Super bright all the time. In fact my earrings are I VS2s excellent cut and very bright. I get compliments all the time. Consider your budget. Make a decision and go. These won't be around forever.

I do like the halo with the pave on the band or the second halo that has the brim around the halo diamonds. It just looks more balanced to me if you are going no diamonds on the shank.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's entirely likely that IDJ had a hold on the stone with the supplier and the supplier sold the stone...not IDJ. They have a database that does that and will then use runners to get the stones from the supplier if a customer wishes to proceed or view the stone in person.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
It's entirely likely that IDJ had a hold on the stone with the supplier and the supplier sold the stone...not IDJ. They have a database that does that and will then use runners to get the stones from the supplier if a customer wishes to proceed or view the stone in person.

Yes I dont think it was IDJ choice. They've been very patience and providing good customer service to guy like me who keep changing mind all the time.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point, didn't think about that.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
HOLD ON! I have a better find - http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...0.430-g-si1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104092974098
BGD is running a special now 10% off, after promo code it comes to $816 wire price! I know that BGD can source a Stuller setting. We can find a better Stuller halo. This would 100% be my choice!

Edit: something like this setting:https://www.stuller.com/products/12...yId=23197&recommendationSource=CategoryBrowse

Very beautiful stone...too bad it isnt at JA. Im going to stick with JA now. Easy and comfy to buy

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful stone...too bad it isnt at JA. Im going to stick with JA now. Easy and comfy to buy
The BGD stone is cheaper, whiter and much nicer in my opinion. Shipping is covered by BGD. I have purchased multiple stones through them.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All 3 diamonds are now on hold!

Setting will be this (its not 2mm but guess 1.8mm will be ok...better than 1.5mm)

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...amond-engagement-ring-round-center-item-17445

I look diamonds as soon as I get back to home from work.

If you find any other diamond options please post it!

I think I got really lucky this time!!!

I'm so glad you put those on hold -- and how perfect to have that sale going on now! It's a sign, OP!! Don't worry about 1.8 mm shank -- it will be fine. My favorite stone is the one soxfan recommended, for JA setting option and overall ease of ordering...
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3058976

Pat yourself on the back and breathe a sigh of relief, @D maklen! She's going to LOVE IT!! Once the proposal is over and things calm down, you should show her this thread so she'll just how much thought and effort you put into finding her dream ring!

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Also, like I said before, you could just get the stone and get the ring done locally. When you order the ring, you'll end up paying +24 % VAT on that. You can get a diamond halo ring custom made in Finland at 1000 €. I have bought three diamonds from JA. Super easy! Let FedEx handle customs (tullaus in Finnish) and there is no duty, just VAT.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Also, like I said before, you could just get the stone and get the ring done locally. When you order the ring, you'll end up paying +24 % VAT on that. You can get a diamond halo ring custom made in Finland at 1000 €. I have bought three diamonds from JA. Super easy! Let FedEx handle customs (tullaus in Finnish) and there is no duty, just VAT.

Thank you nojs for VAT details! So do you think its good to order diamonds from abroad and settings here? Are diamonds here more expensive? Can you recommend here some local jewelry which you have found good?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you nojs for VAT details! So do you think its good to order diamonds from abroad and settings here? Are diamonds here more expensive? Can you recommend here some local jewelry which you have found good?

I know nothing of Finnish jewelers, so I can't comment on quality and price. However, I'd stick with JA for the simple fact that they are a "tried-and-true" PS recommended vendor. Should something happen to the stone in the setting process, JA would be responsible. Please don't derail now...

nojs

Shiny_Rock
It depends where you live. I have an excellent contact in Pori, who just did the President's office's jewels (!) and at least he used not to be expensive ;-) Also I and a lot of my friends have used Malminkorupaja in Helsinki, they have excellent prices and do very decent work (in gold). All of the Tillanders are superb but pricey. I haven't had work done in Atelier Eklöf but they seem to have good prices and neat work. I believe Kultasepät Andreasen in Tampere is good, but I haven't used them personally.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
It depends where you live. I have an excellent contact in Pori, who just did the President's office's jewels (!) and at least he used not to be expensive ;-) Also I and a lot of my friends have used Malminkorupaja in Helsinki, they have excellent prices and do very decent work (in gold). All of the Tillanders are superb but pricey. I haven't had work done in Atelier Eklöf but they seem to have good prices and neat work. I believe Kultasepät Andreasen in Tampere is good, but I haven't used them personally.

Thank you, I live in Helsinki. Heard also that Tillander and Andreasen is good. Also people say that E. Lindroos and Sandberg supposed to do great jewelry but I have image of those being very expensive...like if you go to Tiffany's and ask them to do custom ring for you :)

nojs

Shiny_Rock
The ones you mentioned will be the most expensive, although I personally would not go to Sandberg for custom work.

If budget wasn't an issue I'd recommend Atelier Torbjörn Tillander (their lovely work can be seen here: http://en.tillander.com/products/rings ) but that will be ~3-5x the price of Malminkorupaja, so for your budget the latter would be more appropriate :)

If you want more "prestige" I would try Atelier Eklöf (they are at Yrjönkatu, so you can go and see for yourself). I haven't yet tried them, but might do so in the future. Of course you could also go to Malmi, they have a huge inventory.

Regarding the diamond: it makes no sense to buy that from Finland.

If you just want a super easy alternative, you can of course get both the setting and diamond from JA. I personally just prefer custom to a stock setting.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
If you are interested, call both Eklöf and Malminkorupaja tomorrow for a quote. With Malminkorupaja you can and should do some bargaining (tinkiminen - very un-Finnish, but has work for me multiple times).

Please note however that I believe your time with JA might expire soon, I think they now hold diamonds for less time that they used to. So you might want to buy the diamond and ask them not to ship it before you have decided on the setting.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
If you are interested, call both Eklöf and Malminkorupaja tomorrow for a quote. With Malminkorupaja you can and should do some bargaining (tinkiminen - very un-Finnish, but has work for me multiple times).

Please note however that I believe your time with JA might expire soon, I think they now hold diamonds for less time that they used to. So you might want to buy the diamond and ask them not to ship it before you have decided on the setting.

Thanks again. But I think I've made my choice to stick with JA to end.

Chat agent promised that they hold 48hrs those diamonds. But however tomorrow this time I will pull (again:lol:) the trigger this is the third and last time..I PROMISE. You dont have to see me anymore here whining how I lost the one and only ring again.

I think these two diamonds made to final, Which one would you all choose:

True hearts : https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1299462

OR

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3058976 (this one I like myself)

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Are you sure you have them on hold? I like the later because of better spread, but it says sold.

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
Are you sure you have them on hold? I like the later because of better spread, but it says sold.

Yes, the later one is...it shows me "not available"...H&A isnt because I didnt consider it first...

these are on hold

$1030 https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...i-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3058976

$1170 https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3152872

$990 https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...f-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3090651

Last edited:

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Of these three I'd get the H. The F looks sort of cloudy to me. But all are nice, don't miss out ;-)

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I'd still contact JA today (night) to make sure they are on hold. I think it happened with my last purchase that they said 48 hours but then they were planning to release the stone before that. I might be mistaken, but better safe than sorry :)

D maklen

Shiny_Rock
I'd still contact JA today (night) to make sure they are on hold. I think it happened with my last purchase that they said 48 hours but then they were planning to release the stone before that. I might be mistaken, but better safe than sorry :)

Actually I already did :) Contacted to chat and providing hold number and making sure that even during this sale promotion will you keep 48hrs on hold. They promised to keep it on hold.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did your budget increase OP?

nojs

Shiny_Rock
I has medium flourosence. While that might be a nice effect, it is a matter of preference. Since you are buying for someone else, I buy a stone with no fluor. Otherwise if she goes to a night club, her stone will turn blue.

nojs

Shiny_Rock
Also about color: an "I" could be a borderline J or a borderline H or something in between. If it is a near J it might show some tint if viewed next to high colored diamonds or on some rare occasions (and I really do mean rare). Nearly all diamonds sold in Finland are - at least are claimed to be - Wesselton (=H) or higher and warmer colors are frown upon. Just a thought.

I have a J myself and I love it, but since you have choices, I'd go with the H just to be safe and it is less expensive that the slightly larger I. The H doesn't have any fluorescence, which again, is a safer bet when buying for somebody else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results