shape
carat
color
clarity

Public transportation and the right to eat while taking it...yes or no?

Should food be banned on the subways/buses?

• Yes it is a quality of life issue and a public hazard eating and drinking on a crowded train

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • No live and let live and just rider beware...and who cares about trash on track delays

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I have strong feelings about this and I am sure some (many?) people have strong feelings the other way (i.e. NYC mayor de Blasio)...

The subways would be cleaner for sure (and safer too IMO can we say hot coffee, ketchup soaked hamburgers etc during morning rush and rough stops by heavy footed conductors) and more pleasant in every way if eating was not allowed. The Metro in DC bans eating and drinking and it is a super clean and efficient subway system. NYC subways are filled with delay after delay every single day. Much of it due to food trash on the tracks. It is also IMO a quality of life issue. If one cannot wait to eat before or after their subway ride that is a problem IMO. The average subway ride is less than an hour (probably more like 20-30 minutes) and if one cannot forgo eating for that amount of time they have bigger issues.

So where do you stand on this issue? Is it our right to eat on the subway or do you agree that one should wait for the sake of keeping the subways clean and not eating on a disgusting crowded train during rush hour when it is wall to wall people quite literally. I don't know how people eat under these conditions with everyone breathing on everyone standing so darn close and holding on for dear life. It is crazy to me. Anyway I am interested in your thoughts.

YES food/drink should be banned on the subways/buses or NO it is our right to eat wherever and whenever we want darn it and who cares about anyone else...

calvinandhobbestrash.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if you could actually explain your reason for your thoughts behind your choice I'd appreciate it...:)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in NY and ride the subways frequently. I wish people would not eat on the train, I (in general) do NOT eat on the train, would I try to stop people from doing it? No.

Most of the people eating on the train are rushed, mostly low income workers or kids trying to get to school. What would fining them for eating a sandwich do? It would just add more debt onto people who most likely are struggling enough as it is. It's just another burden. What they could do is add more trash bins and add some on the trains as well. Trash bins are pretty sparse down there. I think if they push for more awareness it could make a difference. And just think about trying to ticket people already on trains eating, are the NYPD now supposed to roam each train to make sure no one eats? That is just ridiculous.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Asscherhalo_lover , I think we should have more police on the trains generally. There have been less police riding public transportation in the last few years and I've seen an increase in trash littering the tracks and the subway cars and an increase in harassment generally. People begging and intimidating others. So yeah for many reasons we need more of a police presence on public transport and not to enforce no eating rules per se but for more critical reasons IMO.

And cmon people don't know littering is wrong? Or could cause issues? People (some people) just don't give a darn. So I doubt public education on this matter will improve anything. If you don't know littering is wrong there's something wrong with you. Not you specifically asscherhalo_lover...

And there's trash bins everywhere.

I call bull on it being a hardship on lower inclome population not to eat for the average 30 minutes or so (or even an hour or a bit more) they're taking public transport. IMO.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should change you poll question to the affirmative. (Should eating or drinking be allowed on subways? Yes/No). Right now a "yes" vote actually corresponds to a restriction (not allowed to eat/drink). Someone who isn't paying attention to the poll question but who read your post could inadvertently hit "no" in the poll when they, in fact, agree with you. Okay, I will stop picking nits.

I think most of the problem with the NYC subway is attitudinal: people feel it's okay to litter. If that coffee drinker would take their unfinished coffee off the train and put it in the trash instead of leaving it on the train floor to inevitably topple and spill at the next hard stop (I hate having to avoid little streams spilled milky, likely sugary, sticky coffee in the morning), a big problem is prevented. I've seen someone eating chicken wings on the subway, but instead of putting the bones in a bag to throw in the bin, this person dropped them on the floor!! I've thrown out empty potato chip bags and candy wrappers that people left on their seat. It's gross and uncivilized behavior to not clean up after yourself. :mad:

ETA: clearly some people aren't mature enough to clean up after themselves so I support a ban on eating on the subway.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes you're right and I realized that but couldn't edit the title. Hopefully people will read the post but if not hopefully they'll add an explanation. Thanks @t-c

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should change you poll question to the affirmative. (Should eating or drinking be allowed on subways? Yes/No). Right now a "yes" vote actually corresponds to a restriction (not allowed to eat/drink). Someone who isn't paying attention to the poll question but who read your post could inadvertently hit "no" in the poll when they, in fact, agree with you. Okay, I will stop picking nits.

I think most of the problem with the NYC subway is attitudinal: they feel it's okay to litter. If that coffee drinker would take their unfinished coffee off the train and put it in the trash instead of leaving it on the train floor to inevitably topple and spill at the next hard stop (I hate having to avoid little streams spilled milky, likely sugary, sticky coffee in the morning), a big problem is prevented. I've seen someone eating chicken wings on the subway, but instead of putting the bones in a bag to throw in the bin, this person dropped them on the floor!! I've thrown out empty potato chip bags and candy wrappers that people left on their seat. It's gross and uncivilized behavior to not clean up after yourself. :mad:

ETA: clearly some people aren't mature enough to clean up after themselves so I support a ban on eating on the subway.

And yes this is the problem. People will continue throwing chicken bones on the floor or on the tracks and it's disgusting. I've seen people eating full McDonald's meals and then leave the wrappers on the seat or floor. Am I going to say something to them? Heck no I'm not crazy. NYC is full of hot heads and people who are mentally unstable and I'm not sticking my neck out. It's the responsibility of elected officials to make the subways cleaner and safer for all people riding them and I have seen a big decrease re quality of life riding the subways over the last number of years. When you know who was mayor the subways were clean and safer and so much more pleasant and they ran on time more often than not.

And yes it is uncivilized behavior I agree.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first ride on the subway wasn't that long ago, the thing that grossed me out the most was someone bringing their dog on and the dog peeing and it running all the way down and in between my feet! I'm an animal lover but that is gross.

Okay, the eating thing, I would worry about someone who has severe food allergies. If someone is eating a peanut butter sandwich and touches or gets some on a surface on the subway and then a highly allergic person touches it and has a reaction, that to me is the main reason there shouldn't be eating on the subway.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they did that, then they'd have to make sure none of the train stations had FF restarants or coffee stands. But honestly, unless the police are going to be VERY active in giving out fines for it, its not gonna work.

I have unfortunately HAD to eat on public transportation, or end up hospitalized (low blood sugar is not a joke) though yes people have food allergies, you can't protect everyone and wrap them in cotton wool.

I have severe allergies to antifreeze and bees, and there's likely not going to be a ban on either anytime soon. Reality is this; they have to live out in the world with the rest of us. It means being careful and carrying an epi pen (I have one of those too). If necessary, wear gloves and/or a mask on public transportation. When I worked a real job (lol) and had to go into Boston every day, I did for a good many years. Funny enough, as packed as the T would get, no one EVER asked why I wore a mask, much less the gloves. ....lol

While I agree people can be slobs and don't pick up after themselves, I'm totally against a food ban because sometimes you do what you must. If anything, they should enforce the litter laws.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy I'm thinking it seems that you've never been in a low income position to call "bull" on it possibly being a hardship for them. I am a teacher in NYC public schools, most NYC public school paraprofessionals qualify as "low" income. My own "paras" included. As it is one already leaves her house 2 hours before work to get her own kids to school and ride 3 different busses to get here, I am not going to begrudge her her egg sandwich that she scarfs down while riding the bus. Until you walk in different shoes it's truly impossible to judge or understand.

I'm in agreement that more police are needed down there, to enforce litter laws. And I do think public education can help, there's been quite a positive response thank to "see something, say something".

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy I'm thinking it seems that you've never been in a low income position to call "bull" on it possibly being a hardship for them. I am a teacher in NYC public schools, most NYC public school paraprofessionals qualify as "low" income. My own "paras" included. As it is one already leaves her house 2 hours before work to get her own kids to school and ride 3 different busses to get here, I am not going to begrudge her her egg sandwich that she scarfs down while riding the bus. Until you walk in different shoes it's truly impossible to judge or understand.

I'm in agreement that more police are needed down there, to enforce litter laws. And I do think public education can help, there's been quite a positive response thank to "see something, say something".

DC has food banned and people seem to do OK there. I don't think it is as challenging as you think but we can agree to disagree. I work with the underprivileged and poor and have done so for 16 years now and believe me I care about them. It's just I don't agree that not being able to eat on public transport is that much of a hardship...

However I'm sorry if it *is* a hardship and it is unlikely that food will ever be banned on public transportation in NYC anyway but if only everyone could throw their trash away in the proper trash receptacles. And also be considerate and courteous while eating. That has nothing to do with being poor and I see people being careless and thoughtless with their trash often. And yes we need more civility on public transportation and in this world in general IMO. It's sad that some ruin it for all.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that there should be plenty of trash receptacles. There will always be those who don't care and won't use them, but when there aren't enough receptacles, littering is bound to increase.

I voted No to banning food and drinks, having just discussed it with my D who takes the subway to internships. She says people should really cover their beverages but that there are times when there really is no time to eat other than while on the train. I think NYC's public resources are stretched enough without adding this additional burden of enforcement.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps there needs to be a new campaign to promote civic engagement and good behavior. Weren't there PSAs during the Saturday morning cartoons or after school specials about littering and such things back in the day? Or am I suffering from misplaced nostalgia?

Regarding having more trash receptacles: I think MTA removed a lot of them from the platform because they may be used to stash bombs. There was also a pilot program where they removed trash cans from subway stations to get rid of rats and reduce trash; apparently it worked (huh o_O )

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote would be No, No, No. It's bad enough that you have to deal with hot sweaty people on the subway.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know that when I was working full time as a paraprofessional while also working part time in retail and going to graduate school I often had to eat in my car as I was commuting (you can't eat in a classroom with kids and you certainly can't eat in a retail environment) and I know if I had been on a bus or subway instead of my car I would have been eating there as well.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps there needs to be a new campaign to promote civic engagement and good behavior.

Queensland Rail, anybody?

b75.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Food and drink is banned on transit where I live, though not really enforced. It doesnt stop people, though most people here are pretty respectful.
That said, I don't think it SHOULD be banned, however in a perfect world people DO clean up after themselves and people DONT litter or leave their trash around. If you've never been the person who worked 2 jobs and had 20m to get there in between and the only time you can eat in between then sure, of course you won't understand. If you've never had to get 3 kids ready for school and spend all your time making sure THEY get fed and watered before you have to be at work or risk getting fired, then sure, you won't understand. The US/Canada has a totally different mind set when it comes to eating vs Europe. Everything here is go-go-go, no time to rest or relax. Eating is done in the car, at your desk, etc. In france, they spend something like 2.5h a day eating. It is a relaxing time, it is time to connect with your family/friends. It is about nourishing yourself, not just about stuffing something in your mouth so you don't pass out. Of course there are many reasons why this isnt sustainable here.

This post reads very privileged though. I 100% agree with you from the trash aspect, and I have never been to NYC or taken the subway there, so do take my post with a grain of salt haha.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries telephone. NYC is a different animal and when you ride the subways day in and out and can tell me that yes you are good with eating and drinking on a crowded moving train then we can revisit. Until then my "privileged" self feels just fine feeling the way I do grain of salt notwithstanding.:)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a difference between subway, bus and LIRR trains. Subway cars are tailored moreso for standing room - even the handicap seats can flip up. In that case eating and drinking should be discouraged.

If you recall, around the same time that Wall Street collapsed, they were also RIF'ing up a storm and every day they had that shame on you type of report on wpix with that blonde dude who'd show you how much the MTA was paying Accenture and how much was being saved. I remember how the once clean train tracks started accumulating litter and rat sightings became more commonplace on the tracks even during peak time. They tore down the "kiosks" what did we call them? Where the MTA employees would be in there for assistance? Once they eliminated those, crime seemed to go up as well. Also, there was obviously a cut back in cleaners bc the platforms got more filthy as well. What was a real shame was how quickly cutting back on the LIrR caused the trains to spiral down. They were newer cars back then and kept in pristine condition with regular cleaning. I remember one morning sitting across from last night's lettuce lol. And I'd get into the train in the PM and the floor would be so crusted with salt and sand in the winter. Icky. And despite all the cuts in services they keep raising the ticket prices lolol.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
The MTA actually vacuumed up all the trash on the tracks -- at least the 4 5 6 lines. I noticed that the Prince St station is much cleaner. The rats are still there, but I've developed some affection for those tough little buggers (a sign that I've been in NYC for too long).

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The MTA actually vacuumed up all the trash on the tracks -- at least the 4 5 6 lines. I noticed that the Prince St station is much cleaner. The rats are still there, but I've developed some affection for those tough little buggers (a sign that I've been in NYC for too long).
I was told that it was a vacuuming train that would go along the track. We'd hear tales of vacuuming up sofas. I think that when the litter accumulated it must have been a reduction in frequency of track cleaning. And that's all I'll say about the MTA for now. Get a Coca Cola in me with sugar in it and get me riled up I can go off for days lololol. For my sanity, I shut up now about MTA. :confused:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither. Segregate trains for the unwashed masses and those who are entitled to a clean riding experience. ;-)

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Neither. Segregate trains for the unwashed masses and those who are entitled to a clean riding experience. ;-)

So subway tip: if you find a virtually empty subway car in an otherwise packed train, there is probably an unwashed mass (or a broken air conditioner during the summer) in there. I learned my lesson; had to break the rule against moving to another car while the train was in motion.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So subway tip: if you find a virtually empty subway car in an otherwise packed train, there is probably an unwashed mass (or a broken air conditioner during the summer) in there. I learned my lesson; had to break the rule against moving to another car while the train was in motion.

But you could've eaten in that car in peace!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'd eat in there ?

Hadn't thought of it...

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I lived in Brooklyn for the first 35 yrs of my life. I probably took either a bus or subway every day. We were not allowed to bring food on public transport. So I vote NO, NO , NO.

Now I live in the Chicago area and love to take the suburban trains because you sit in comfort and can drink your coffee and read the paper and relax. It is quite different than the over crowded subway in New York. Two different situations.

Annette

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes THaT lesson lolol! I remember going wow there are seats! That's bc there was a super stinky homeless man passed out on a handicap bench in the car AND the train was staying put until EMT came. Doh!

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes THaT lesson lolol! I remember going wow there are seats! That's bc there was a super stinky homeless man passed out on a handicap bench in the car AND the train was staying put until EMT came. Doh!

Yes! :lol: Or when everyone huddled at one end of the subway car while a really stinky or drunk or even worse guy is all by himself at the other.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes,I think it should be allowed. I don't think it causes much, if any, serious inconvenience and it's (supposedly) a free country. Taking away small freedoms such as the right to eat your pretzel while sitting down on a journey smacks of dictatorship, to me. I know sometimes people eat smelly food such as burgers, but the times I've been in big cities, it's not often, and I think preserving freedoms is more important than a temporary smell of delicious hot food. Once freedoms are chiseled away at, it's a slippery slope. I agree that eating on a train is not exactly the height of manners or elegance, but neither are multitudes of other behaviors displayed in public. I've lived in big cities and not once did I hear of food trash on the track being the cause of a delay.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queensland Rail, anybody?

b75.jpg

I live in QLD here they ban food, drink, loud noises, disruptive behaviour, graffiti, sex, dogs, garden tools and a whole list of odd and not so odd things on public transport......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results