shape
carat
color
clarity

If you died would your dog eat you?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the real reason our furbabies like to cuddle in bed with us is they're checking for a pulse. :-o

Haha, one of mine sleeps under the covers with me by my knees

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The article says:

"No one tracks the frequency of pets scavenging their expired owners’ bodies, but dozens of such case reports appear in forensic science journals over the last 20 years or so, and they’re the best window we have into a situation dreaded by pet owners: dying alone and being eaten."

At the end it gives advice on how to prevent this situation (have your home looked in on by others, to see if you have expired, etc.).

Am I the only one who finds this focus bizarre?

Why is the worst thing having one's body eaten rather than dying? Is being cremated or buried a better way to dispose of one's body than to have one's dog eat it? apparently, it is natural!

AGBF

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting question. I supplement my cats' canned+dry food diet with homemade cat food (a mix of chicken meat, chicken liver & hearts, duck, fish and supplements).

I've been trying for years to move my two cats to a homemade raw diet for years but one of them turns up his nose to raw meat. The other one will eat raw chicken but not duck or venison (too gamy). She has trouble eating the raw chicken wing tips though. From what I read online, human meat is mild tasting (not gamy), so I guess one of my cats might nibble on a dead body (I think she would have to be starving, though, she prefers cooked meat to raw meat normally), but the other would rather sit and wait for someone to come along and feed him a nicely cooked dinner on a plate.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The article says:

"No one tracks the frequency of pets scavenging their expired owners’ bodies, but dozens of such case reports appear in forensic science journals over the last 20 years or so, and they’re the best window we have into a situation dreaded by pet owners: dying alone and being eaten."

At the end it gives advice on how to prevent this situation (have your home looked in on by others, to see if you have expired, etc.).

Why is the worst thing having one's body eaten rather than dying? Is being cremated or buried a better way to dispose of one's body than to have one's dog eat it? apparently, it is natural!

AGBF

I thought that was weird too.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The article says:

AGBF
someone who has dogs explained to me that they should not eat a warm body. This makes me feel better.
However, dead body produces ptomaine, the poison. I would be more concerned about the health of the animals eating dead owners.

P.S. apparently not that simple. This story in general sounds horrible, but also, the first successful face transplant. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabelle_Dinoire

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
someone who has dogs explained to me that they should not eat a warm body. This makes me feel better.
However, dead body produces ptomaine, the poison. I would be more concerned about the health of the animals eating dead owners.

I have not gotten into the face transplant yet. I want to deal with one topic at a time. I know you are a physician, but this sounds like malarkey to me. I would not deny (since I have no idea what happens when bodies decompose and I suppose chemicals and poisons run riot in them) that ptommaine could be present in a human corpse. But why would it be present there in more quantity than in the flesh of any other species that is eaten by carnivores? And, also, how have humans been safely eaten by other humans in the past if ptomaine is present in such great quantities as to make human flesh poison? This is hardly my area of expertise, but I am skeptical.

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. apparently not that simple. This story in general sounds horrible, but also, the first successful face transplant. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabelle_Dinoire

Yes, I had read that story. Not only do I love all dogs, but I had a yellow Lab. I am heartbroken for the dog who was euthanized for no reason. Certainly that situation would never have been replicated! People are idiots. It is also sad that, having recovered from a suicide attempt and decided to live, Ms.Dinoire succumbed to cancer at a relatively young age.

AGBF

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt very much my dog would eat me, she's too daft!

IMG_0134.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I had read that story. Not only do I love all dogs, but I had a yellow Lab. I am heartbroken for the dog who was euthanized for no reason. Certainly that situation would never have been replicated! People are idiots. It is also sad that, having recovered from a suicide attempt and decided to live, Ms.Dinoire succumbed to cancer at a relatively young age.

AGBF
yes, all tragic. Ms. Dinore actually was heartbroken when her dog was put down, it was not her idea at all.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not gotten into the face transplant yet. I want to deal with one topic at a time. I know you are a physician, but this sounds like malarkey to me. I would not deny (since I have no idea what happens when bodies decompose and I suppose chemicals and poisons run riot in them) that ptommaine could be present in a human corpse. But why would it be present there in more quantity than in the flesh of any other species that is eaten by carnivores? And, also, how have humans been safely eaten by other humans in the past if ptomaine is present in such great quantities as to make human flesh poison? This is hardly my area of expertise, but I am skeptical.

Deb :wavey:

a) it was just my question
b) I just googled several articles - while there is a lot written about what happens to bodies and much about animals eating dead masters (hamsters would be be 1 species, btw.), there are few bridges, but here is what I found out.
- While we humans are way more prone to "garbage poisoning" than our dogs (who have more acidic stomach contents, this is their defense against the bacteria, I never knew it), animals can get it too. There are special warnings.
- the situation with dead bodies exposed to elements (aerobic) is very different to the one where the master is lying dead in the closed room for days, alone with his dogs. The conditions become closer to anaerobic, and In the latter case, I would have real concerns about the health of the pets. It is less ptomaine, and more all anaerobic gut bacterias....Not pretty info for this forum. Basically the sooner after master's death the animals start eating the remnants, the safer for them.
- cats are much less prone to doing it, I wonder if their noses give them a warning sign that the meat is not fresh?
- in human cannibalism, no one waited for days, and uneaten parts, if any, were kept outside.
Each article emphacised that dogs eating dead masters was normal evolutionary behavior, and we should view it as such. it seems to be more pronounced if there is a pack of dogs as compared to one in the room. Unfortunately, dogs scavenger behavior does put them at huge risk when they eat something gangrenous, or during epidemics.
Ironically, the view of dogs as unclean animals in some cultures stems from such behavior, but dogs are not far gone from wolves, and do as wolves would do.

New knowledge would not preclude me from getting a dog, but my hubby is not ready. :(

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
- the situation with dead bodies exposed to elements (aerobic) is very different to the one where the master is lying dead in the closed room for days, alone with his dogs.

(snip)

- in human cannibalism, no one waited for days, and uneaten parts, if any, were kept outside.

I may be wrong, but I think you are basically saying simply that fresh, clean human meat is healthier for dogs to eat than rotting, old human meat that was left un-refrigerated.

More or less what one would say about hamburger. :read:

It makes sense to me! :wavey:

Deb
:saint:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fred wanted to share his photo here too since I included his siblings. So last night he struck a ferocious pose for me to share here. Looks like he would definitely devour his human mommy and daddy if he was hungry and we weren't fast enough to feed him...:-o:cheeky:

fredroaringatbeach.JPG

Feed me humans before I tear your heads off!:!::errrr::razz:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like from the article, the reason why dogs (and cats) might eat an owner's face, is different than from hunting/hunger. It reminds me of the time us kids were sledding, our black lab who was a total sweetheart, chasing use down the hill and even started biting at our arms. I think the dog freaked out, thought we were in danger, and was trying to stop us but doing it in an inappropriate way. In the same way, the dog might be anxious freaking out that person passed out, unconscious, and the licking/nipping to wake, ended up progressing to biting/eating out of instinct. Although not a pleasant prospect, there are probably a few situations where that behavior (say someone sleeping in a burning building) the dog's behavior would have saved a person.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fred wanted to share his photo here too since I included his siblings. So last night he struck a ferocious pose for me to share here. Looks like he would definitely devour his human mommy and daddy if he was hungry and we weren't fast enough to feed him...:-o:cheeky:

fredroaringatbeach.JPG

Feed me humans before I tear your heads off!:!::errrr::razz:

Did you see the teeth on that beast? That's not a cat! That's a snaggle-toothed dragon!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if we look to our pets like turduckens look to us. I know my cats understand that I'm putting yummy food down my pie hole. So when I'm dead, they might think yessss! Human with surf and turf stuffing!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see the teeth on that beast? That's not a cat! That's a snaggle-toothed dragon!

Hahaha yes Deb, he does look fierce in the photo I know.:cheeky: I promise you he is the opposite of fierce and is the very definition of the term "scaredy cat" :lol:...he is a real softie and a love and I think you would melt if he rubbed up against you. The ultimate behavior when he trusts someone. :halo:

He is getting up there in age and slowing down quite a bit...I feel sad when I think his time left here with us is not enough.:blackeye:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say, my cat would not eat me, as she has a cat door and can still hunt. My dog, after stealing food from the tables, available surfaces he could reach, would then probably eat me. But as he barks a lot so hopefully someone would find my body before that happened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I may be wrong, but I think you are basically saying simply that fresh, clean human meat is healthier for dogs to eat than rotting, old human meat that was left un-refrigerated.

More or less what one would say about hamburger. :read:

It makes sense to me! :wavey:

Deb
:saint:

In this thread, it is rather oxygen/lack thereof, but in general, yes, refrigerators...same applies to animal meats. Geography (hot arid climate) could explain certain human dietary religious prohibitions, btw. :)

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some labs have a genetic defect that doesn't allow them to know when to stop eating, probably similar to alcoholism. We had a lab that we nicknamed t-rex. He even ate banana peels!
Not all of them have the defect but those who do need to be limited.

Ha! I think ours is one of the non-defective types. :) He certainly will eat more than he needs to, but when given more than usual, I have watched him stash it somewhere, so I know he won't eat until he pops. At 10, he is still sporting a trim waist, partly due to him and partly due to my husband dedicated to keeping him from having bad hip problems due to weight. The vet forgets he's that old because he's so trim. He is, however, very VERY good at reminding you that a) it's meal time, b) he's here to help wash those plates of the leftover sauces, grease, and those fatty bits you trimmed off. Right here for ya! Clink some silverware on a plate? Hey man, I'm right here...just hanging....waiting to help. ('cause he's helpful hound!) :)

As far as would he eat us? Perspective: dogs eat their own poo, so discrimination is not their strong suit, right? Trapped in the house for days with no food except that meat over there? Of course. I would expect it. If humans can overcome the scruples and taboos that come with sentience, to eat each other from hunger, I expect a far lower bar for a semi-sentient critter. On the positive side, you'll be thoroughly grokked by your dog.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as would he eat us? Perspective: dogs eat their own poo, so discrimination is not their strong suit, right?

That's your opinion because you are uh, human-o-centric. From a dog's point of view, that poo is delectable. And so is some of the poo of other canines (not all poo). Dogs choose what poo of other dogs they eat carefully (at least most do). they sniff it and decide which has ingredients in it that they want; these decisions are not made at random! Remember, poo contains leftover food. I can clearly see that my dog's poo is largely sweet potato since he snacks on that all day. It is most distinctive.

AGBF

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if dogs get anxious when regular master-dog relationship is broken, or there is no master. I wonder if they view us akin to gods and the stress when we cease to be such is more than immense. I never had a dog, so I may not understand certain things, but would you agree that in general, we are not the first targets of the animals? I had to reread "Love of life" by Jack London, like this story in general, esp. since it is about our Northwest. He made some interesting observations about wolves and their attitude to prey. http://london.sonoma.edu/writings/LoveLife/life.html

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's your opinion because you are uh, human-o-centric. From a dog's point of view, that poo is delectable. And so is some of the poo of other canines (not all poo). Dogs choose what poo of other dogs they eat carefully (at least most do). they sniff it and decide which has ingredients in it that they want; these decisions are not made at random! Remember, poo contains leftover food. I can clearly see that my dog's poo is largely sweet potato since he snacks on that all day. It is most distinctive.

AGBF

Of course I'm human-o-centric - I'm a human-o.

Gotta say though Deb, it scares me juuuust a little that you are so intimately familiar with your dog's poo. I love my dog, but examining his poo is not on my list of priorities. Of course I do have the luxury of not having to shovel manure, as I have a husband for that. It's still not an equal trade for me having to chase lab sheddings 24/7 in the house, but at least it's one (real) sh** detail, I don't have to deal with.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I'm human-o-centric - I'm a human-o.

Gotta say though Deb, it scares me juuuust a little that you are so intimately familiar with your dog's poo. I love my dog, but examining his poo is not on my list of priorities. Of course I do have the luxury of not having to shovel manure, as I have a husband for that. It's still not an equal trade for me having to chase lab sheddings 24/7 in the house, but at least it's one (real) sh** detail, I don't have to deal with.

Your dog isn't the size of my dog and what he poops cannot possibly be the size of Griffin's. I do not have to shovel the yard, but I do sometimes walk the dog. (He is walked daily.) He prefers to poop while walking and will do it 1 to 3 times on a walk. So I carry three poop bags with me so as not to run afoul of the law or the neighbors. Sometimes I carry four, in case I need extra wrapping.

I will not describe anything more as I am sure that I have already given more information than anyone but a but a dog aficionado would want. However, if any creature ate as many sweet potatoes as Griffin, one glance at his poo would suffice to differentiate it from the poo of all other creatures. I do not have to be "intimately familiar" with it. It is the poo of a sweet potato eater!

AGBF

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if dogs get anxious when regular master-dog relationship is broken, or there is no master. I wonder if they view us akin to gods and the stress when we cease to be such is more than immense. I never had a dog, so I may not understand certain things, but would you agree that in general, we are not the first targets of the animals? I had to reread "Love of life" by Jack London, like this story in general, esp. since it is about our Northwest. He made some interesting observations about wolves and their attitude to prey. http://london.sonoma.edu/writings/LoveLife/life.html

Arkteia, I know dogs get anxious when the relationship with their master is broken. One of my friends was murdered when I was in high school. She had lived across the street from us for years and moved to another part of town about two years earlier. I worked with one of her newer neighbors a few years later. The man had said that after her death her dog would wait at the end of the block everyday for hours waiting for her to come from school. The dog would just pace hoping to see her.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkteia, I know dogs get anxious when the relationship with their master is broken. One of my friends was murdered when I was in high school. She had lived across the street from us for years and moved to another part of town about two years earlier. I worked with one of her newer neighbors a few years later. The man had said that after her death her dog would wait at the end of the block everyday for hours waiting for her to come from school. The dog would just pace hoping to see her.

Our childhood pet, an older Cocker Spaniel named Dilly, wouldn't eat if my mother went away. We didn't know that until my parents' 25th anniversary when they took a trip to Bermuda. Dilly was home with my brother and me (whom she knew very well!) as well my grandmother and my aunt (who were far from strangers to her). But she wouldn't eat a bite for a week. She mourned until my mother returned.

AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results