shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed: 10mm fakies, which size for replacements?

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've consistently worn faux pearl studs to work or for events for a few years--constantly needing to replace as they degrade or turn my ears green--and am looking to take advantage of the current Pearl Paradise sale and treat myself to a pair of Freshadama studs. Pearls are new jewelry territory for me, so I'm feeling like quite a novice!

I'm in my 40s, tall and full-figured with earlobes to match, so I prefer the look of a larger pearl. My latest faux pair (from Target, eek) measure 10mm across and seem just about right, not too small and not too big. Here's what I'm debating: should I go for the 9.5-10mm pair or the 10-10.5mm pair? Is it a noticeable difference? The price also jumps up from $156 for the 9.5-10mm, to $248 for 10-10.5mm. Both are comfortably in my budget, but I'm trying to gauge if there's value to spending more for the size difference.

Advice?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
If you are curious before you buy, I would head over to pure pearls and see the different sizes on a woman's ear. Ashley has a real nice display for the public to view. They also have a real size chart you can down load on your computer and print out.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks, NacreLover, the print out size chart was a great suggestion! Unfortunately the link for the printable size chart on pure pearls is currently not working, but I remembered I had a chart bookmarked for diamond sizing, so I cut out the 3ct and 4 ct (9.4mm and 10.4mm) and taped them on. It helped me see there was a visible difference, and 9.4 felt a bit too small. I'd prefer to err on the large side :)

I have looked at so many photos online, the trick is that I am much less petite than most ear models! For example, the photos on pure pearls show a 9-10mm stud hangs below the model's earlobe, while on me that size would be right in the middle of my lobe, with skin showing all around!

Excited for my new earrings :)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
There would be a noticeable size difference between between a 9.5mm and 10.5mm pearl. But obviously much less of a difference between a 9.9mm and 10.1mm pearl. As earrings are sold in these size ranges, you won't know the exact size of the pearls you get. I have multiple pairs of 9-10mm pearls - one set is exactly 9mm, another closer to 10mm. There is a big difference in size.

If you prefer larger sizes I would err on the side of caution and order the larger ones. Or if you're in the US why don't you order one of each and choose in person. Returns are free.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you prefer larger sizes I would err on the side of caution and order the larger ones.

You're right, I think that's the right idea for me.... If they are close to 10 that's fine, if they are a little bigger that's fine. The 9.4mm cutout on my ear seemed pretty but just a bit less special; the proportions were more like a classic everyday earring on my big ol' lobes :D

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Pearl Paradise has the matched pairs on cards with sticky dots. Similar to these huge Edison and white south sea pearls are on this card. I would ask for them to measure the pearl pairs on that size card and see if you can get the largest in stock. By the way, the top and bottom are Edison freshwater and the center are white south sea. 17880609_10211163563598290_1933066971619449873_o.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Those Edisons are stunning! They outshine the SSP in that photo

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow I've never heard of Edison pearls and just went to google them! Might get a pair to see what the fuss is about.

Go for size, Elizabeth. You will be happier with them in the long run!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
From what you've said, it sounds like you'd be happier with 10-10.5mm. Maybe even larger.

I have a pair of 11-12mm white metallic Edison studs and they are wonderful but I did need larger backs or the little plastic discs to keep them from drooping on my ears.

This sounds strange but it works. An easy way to see how different sizes will look on you is to chew up some gum then make balls of it in the sizes you're considering (carefully place them up against a ruler to check the size). Then stick them to your earlobes. Just don't forget they're there and go out like that haha.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have large ear lobes and find my favorite size is around 10.5-11mm. I can wear 12mm but I like the look of slightly smaller pearls more.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello, everyone! I thought I'd post an update!

First: Oh, woweee! @NacreLover Those Edison pearls are huge! And so pretty!

So, I received my studs in the mail on Wednesday. They are nearly identical in size to the $8 costume pair I am replacing! So, about 10mm. I definitely feel good about getting the larger size range, you were all right. As I looked them over I noticed a very small mark and pit on the back of one of the studs. It's possible it wouldn't be seen when worn (I didn't try them on) but knowing it's there bothers me, so I am in the process of requesting an exchange, if possible. When the process is finished I will come back and post pictures!

Thanks for all the input!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Sucks about the pit. Looking forward to photos of your new earrings!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you liked the size. I am sure your next pair will be perfect.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello, following up! I did receive my second pair and I like them a lot! Customer service was friendly and shipping was fast.

As previously posted, one of the pair that was sent had a teeny scratch on the back. Not visible when worn, but I worried about damage. Also, on a secondary level I was not overwhelmingly in love with them. They looked almost *exactly* like my fakes. The size was at the bottom of the range (v. close to 10mm), and the luster/tones were underwhelming (felt almost like it was veering dull or dingy). For my original order, I had given a preference for pearls with creamy/ivory overtone.

In my exchange notes I said that while I preferred creamy/ivory overtone, if there was limited stock in that range what was most important to me was the largest, best pair.

Second pair sent to me is at the top of the size range (10.5+mm on quick measurement!) and I *love* them. I am sure I'm using the wrong words but they just seem more soft, luminous and beautiful. They are very slightly different sizes, which I can tell because I see things like that, but so are my earlobes so no worries :lol: The larger one has a teensy dent, but it's not noticeable when wearing and I like that much better than a surface scratch. Overall, I love the size/luster enough not to be bothered by those things :)

I will post a picture soon! I think I will need to get large/flat backs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results