shape
carat
color
clarity

Jamesallen bumped the price and refused to sell at original price for a diamond

ShinYunStar

Rough_Rock
Jamesallen bumped the price and refused to sell at original price for a diamond. So this horrible thing happened to me while I was shopping at JA. I have never expected anything like this will occur. Has anyone had experience with JA changing the price of diamond out of a sudden?

I had a pink diamond on hold for me while I was working on setting for the diamond. It was $2350 for the pink diamond JA's SKU: 3000470. However, when I was about to make the purchase I found that my order is gone and I could not complete the order.

I searched the pink diamond sections and thought I found a similar diamond at higher price $3010. I had a closer look and it turns out to be the EXACTLY the same diamond I had on hold for $2350! How can they just take down a listing and bumped the price. The same diamond was listed twice
SKU: 3000470 ($2350 USD)
jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/fancy-color/pink/pear-shaped/0.19-carat-vs1-clarity-sku-3000470
and SKU: 3025916 ($3010 USD)
jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/fancy-color/pink/pear-shaped/0.19-carat-vs1-clarity-sku-3025916

Both diamond has the same GIA number: GIA 5181148181
They admitted there was 2 listing for the same diamond!

Last week, I questioned their customer service "Erika S" and asked whether JA will be honour the original price. She promised she will report to her manager to get back to me lastest by Monday this week. I have never heard from her/her manager again. I had to approached another customer service "Sarah N" to find out that the diamond is no longer available!!!! I was told even if it becomes available, they cannot promise to sell me at price I saw originally. So they cannot do anything right now other than finding another diamond for me.

I am new to this forum as I recently started to shop for diamond for my SO, so my words probably don't worth anything. I did not expect this to happen so I don't have all the photos, and the listings are showing as unavailable now. Definitely there was double listing at different price.

Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.00.11 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.02.06 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 12.10.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 12.10.27 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.04.50 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.05.04 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.05.18 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.06.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.07.32 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 4.08.05 AM.png

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For how long was it on hold?

ShinYunStar

Rough_Rock
I remember I was told 48 hours which I was within the time frame.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It seems the main mistake was it was not put on hold by Erika while waiting for the managerial decision. The customer could assume it would be put on hold until an answer is sought. I suppose you didn't put the 3k version on hold while you waited?

JA messed up here IMO especially taking down the diamond and relisting while a customer has it on hold. I hope you get another diamond you like soon

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, that is so odd. They shouldnt have taken it off "Hold" without notifying you (or the time running out). I would call and ask to speak to the
manager. The stone could have sold threw another vendor before JA had time to update their display. Not sure how many times a day JA
reloads the data...if its only once or multiple times a day. Or like gm89uk is saying, the $3k listing could have sold.

Edit ...BTW it is just now Monday the 19th in the US. Not sure where you are located.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm never sure of the etiquette of posting private conversations on the open forum - some forums allow this, some don't.

ShinYunStar

Rough_Rock
Hmm, that is so odd. They shouldnt have taken it off "Hold" without notifying you (or the time running out). I would call and ask to speak to the
manager. The stone could have sold threw another vendor before JA had time to update their display. Not sure how many times a day JA
reloads the data...if its only once or multiple times a day. Or like gm89uk is saying, the $3k listing could have sold.

Edit ...BTW it is just now Monday the 19th in the US. Not sure where you are located.
I find it awkward that they did not put on hold while waiting for managerial decision as well. I am from New Zealand. Its 20th as we are UTC +12 or UTC +13 daylight here.

ShinYunStar

Rough_Rock
I'm never sure of the etiquette of posting private conversations on the open forum - some forums allow this, some don't.
I am not aware of restriction in this regard. If its against the rules am I able to take it down?

ShinYunStar

Rough_Rock
It seems the main mistake was it was not put on hold by Erika while waiting for the managerial decision. The customer could assume it would be put on hold until an answer is sought. I suppose you didn't put the 3k version on hold while you waited?

JA messed up here IMO especially taking down the diamond and relisting while a customer has it on hold. I hope you get another diamond you like soon
I didn't put the 3k diamond on hold mainly due to it having inflated price, although it was still available couple of hours ago when I last checked.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I actually bought my diamonds about 200 more than it originally listed for. The difference here is I didn't put it on hold, so when it showed to me, it went up and I asked to pay for the original price and they declined. Not a great response from James Allen if the item was going to be tens of thousands of dollars. But I knew I wanted it so I let it go. I know how you feel...

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
James Allen doesn't actually own nor have in-house, all of the diamonds listed on its web site. Many are still owned by cutters or other wholesalers. There have been threads on here over the years that have related similar problems with incorrect price, diamond no longer available, etc. And generally it's because the diamond is available to the entire world 24/7 and that complicates the buying process because of the global competition aspect. It's frustrating to the buyer, but really, I would not expect James Allen to sell anything at a loss due to an incorrect price. Nor can they sell a diamond that is actually no longer available because its been sold elsewhere in the world. Nor can they control what the cutters and the other markets and vendors who have equal access to that diamond are doing.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i suspect there was a pricing problem, that is a big jump in price in just a day or two, so perhaps they made a mistake on the price originally.
Whatever the reason, the diamond is gone and you need to face that. Its like buying a house, there will be others you will like. However, this would leave a bad taste in my mouth and I would pass on buying from JA. Although I cannot give you an accurate count of complaints of PS vendors, as I read these posts over the years, there is more negative press on JA than others. (My observation)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are those measurements correct for a .19 stone? Seems large. Shallow?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It sounds like a virtual stone that was pulled from the market and then re-added at some point then sold. It stinks but with virtual stones a lot of things are out of the selling vendors control.
There are also disclaimers on all online vendors websites about pricing errors which happens from time to time and could also explain the price difference.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am with Karl,
It is very common for pink and other rare coloured diamonds to trade between dealers. I have personally followed a rare kite shaped pink diamond that now has the third owner that I am aware of since September 2015. And, surprise surprise, the price rose every time.
you asked a vendor to hold a stone that was probably already under offer / negotiation.
Tough luck, but not a nasty trick.

ShinYunStar

Rough_Rock
Update: This pear pink diamond has become available again today. I have asked for JA to check the price. Hopefully I will be able to get it at the price I originally reserved for. I think the chance of getting original price is probably very low. Will update when I hear back from them.

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 9.30.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 9.32.17 PM.png

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck!!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sucks. But to fully secure a product, you need to complete a transaction with payment. I underatand your frustration, but it happens with any virtual inventory: hotel, flight (worst), concert tickets , etc... even though you are able to hold for certain promised time. Remember these stones and products are accessable to many vendors and millions of customers. The diamond supplier can change the price anytime. I cannot really fault JA. If this happened with a house branded cut, it is a different story.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results