If you died would your dog eat you?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... but Miso looks so sweet and cuddly.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness! One of the most unusual threads ever! No pets here so I guess I would just rot.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only 'unusual' because we anthropomorphize our pets.

Actually, nothing could be more natural.

Carnivore finds food.
Bon appetite.
Yum Yum!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if I am not alive, little do I care...

However, what happens if the person is not dead, but suffered a stroke in a sleep, and is paralyzed? Would the animal have enough guts to not touch someone who is alive, but temporarily incapacitated? What about sleep paralysis? Narcolepsy? Lethargic sleep? This is more interesting. As long as they have the guts to know the difference... But do they?

From personal observations, labradors eat everything, edible or not. I know their IQ is very high, but it surely doesn't show in their behavior. Wasn't there a post once about a dog eating a spinel ring?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a New York Minute. We don't call him The Demon for nothing.

BTW, has anyone read Gerald's Game? (This is a relevant question, I swear.)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Max would happily munch away on me. In fact he does now (he's fond of love bites when he's hungry).

IMG_2061.JPG

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if I am not alive, little do I care...

However, what happens if the person is not dead, but suffered a stroke in a sleep, and is paralyzed? Would the animal have enough guts to not touch someone who is alive, but temporarily incapacitated? What about sleep paralysis? Narcolepsy? Lethargic sleep? This is more interesting. As long as they have the guts to know the difference... But do they?

From personal observations, labradors eat everything, edible or not. I know their IQ is very high, but it surely doesn't show in their behavior. Wasn't there a post once about a dog eating a spinel ring?

Some labs have a genetic defect that doesn't allow them to know when to stop eating, probably similar to alcoholism. We had a lab that we nicknamed t-rex. He even ate banana peels!
Not all of them have the defect but those who do need to be limited.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope so. Waste not want not!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely! As I mentioned in the weight thread I'm juicy!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... but Miso looks so sweet and cuddly.
Well, sweet cuddly Miso has been known to bite my nose and/or chin to wake me up when he wants breakfast!
I guess if I was dead, he would call the other cat to join in for the feast:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think?:twisted::halo::lickout:

IMG_6387.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

I mean, look at these eyes...dark pools of mystery and psychopathy...just waiting patiently .:whistle:

FullSizeRender.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping herself in peak physical condition so she can strike like a cheetah

IMG_0624.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I saw the title of this thread and burst out laughing! :lol-2: :lol-2: :lol-2:

Didn't read the article (yet), but I love the photos of all these fierce PS animals! Too funny!

@cmd2014 Max does laundry!?!? Wow! I'm running between my laptop and the washer and dryer this morning. Can Max come for a visit?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honey is OBVIOUSLY a dead body eater.

Bellatrix...the black cat, says.. "oh honey, I only eat LIVE prey!"

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Max does laundry!?!? Wow! I'm running between my laptop and the washer and dryer this morning. Can Max come for a visit?

He likes to call this "helping." I call it sneaking into the laundry hamper and refusing to move his rather rotund self (while purring furiously) and obstructing my efforts to have clean clothes. It's our laundry ritual. Interestingly he doesn't do this to DH when he's doing laundry... (he is also selective in that he only crawls into my hamper - all the better to make sure that mommy's clothes will never be cat hair free again!)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A qualified no way! If I died in bed, none of the 3 can physically jump up on the bed. So they'd be out of luck. I'm pretty sure derpy Lola in my avatar would survive. She'd trick the other 2 into something and then eat THEM BOTH!!:lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess would be yes and she would start with my lips. She loves to come up and give me kisses on my lips.

Kenny, I am laughing over this thread. Where the heck did you get the idea to start this one?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess would be yes and she would start with my lips. She loves to come up and give me kisses on my lips.

Kenny, I am laughing over this thread. Where the heck did you get the idea to start this one?

I remember reading about this study years ago. I used to tell people their cats would eat them before their dogs would just to get a rise out of them. Not in a very negative way, just mischievous. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i didn't read the article, just the responses. All I can say is that the three dogs I have owned as an adult differ a lot. At least the first two differ a lot from the third one. The first two were retrievers and they both ate anything and everything, although they were different breeds of retriever. (The first was a Golden and the second was a yellow Labrador retriever.) The temperaments of the first two couldn't have been more different. The first one was sweet and gentle; we had her from the age of six weeks. The second was a menace; we adopted him at two years. But they both scavenged for food and overate if they could.

My Newfoundland (my current dog) who is far bigger than either of them) is a very picky eater. Unlike the other dogs, he never, ever takes food off the coffee table although it is completely within his reach. Even the most tempting food. We can leave bowls of candy out throughout the day and night. He is also gentler and more people oriented. When my father died, he showed no inclination to eat him. I think he avoided the room, in fact.

AGBF

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read Gerald's Game! Great book!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What? Doesn't everyone surf National Geographic's site? :read:

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some labs have a genetic defect that doesn't allow them to know when to stop eating, probably similar to alcoholism. We had a lab that we nicknamed t-rex. He even ate banana peels!
Not all of them have the defect but those who do need to be limited.

My Golden ate a lump of lead the plumber had left on the floor when he was soldering. It passed right through her in the same shape it went in. She also ate my mother's glass vaginal dilator (which was wrapped in a paper towel) after my mother had a Manchester Repair.* (Don't click on the link if you are squeamish about graphic stuff.)

AGBF

*Manchester Repair Surgery...http://www.atlasofpelvicsurgery.com/5Uterus/8ManchesterOperation/chap5sec8.html

Last edited:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Well, considering cats are natural carnivores and I provide them with food, I guess if I died I would still provide them with food! So yes, I have no doubt they would eat me.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, considering cats are natural carnivores and I provide them with food, I guess if I died I would still provide them with food! So yes, I have no doubt they would eat me.

Another responsible pet mommy. :clap:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the real reason our furbabies like to cuddle in bed with us is they're checking for a pulse. :-o

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Supposedly dogs are carnivores, but as I have pointed out, and several other people have as well, my first two were omnivores. (It is breed specific.) I think my Golden Retriever might have been diagnosed with pica, had she been a human!

And my best friend's Malamute/Wolf hybrid ate a rock when he was a puppy. So much for the theory that wolves are wholly consumed by the desire to tear apart flesh.

Deb :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results