shape
carat
color
clarity

Best way to contact David Klass?

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I sent an email but no response. Should I wait longer? I sent it Friday night or Saturday. Or would I be better off calling?

Thanks!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't even imagine what his inbox looks like right now. He was in Vegas for JCK, then I believe back for a day before heading to another conference. I'm awaiting some responses too, usually it takes a few days but not this long, so I know they're slammed. I'd suggest waiting a bit longer if you can, and if not, then call.

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I can't even imagine what his inbox looks like right now. He was in Vegas for JCK, then I believe back for a day before heading to another conference. I'm awaiting some responses too, usually it takes a few days but not this long, so I know they're slammed. I'd suggest waiting a bit longer if you can, and if not, then call.

Thanks for the heads up -- I can definitely wait. Not a time sensitive project at all.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm waiting to hear back too. I sent an email about a week ago. I'm assuming he's behind, after the gem show. :D

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
I'm on the same boat!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Ha ha, well at least its good to know that I am not alone and that David has no shortage of business from PS!

Out of curiosity, what do folks think would be the potential price range to custom fabricate a necklace for a 3 stone setting with each stone set in a bezel in 14K gold. Gems are 10mm, 7.5mm and 5.5mm or thereabouts?

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
Good question lol! I'm on the same boat as everyone. Sent an email a couple of weeks ago while he was in Vegas (to both his emails). No response yet.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I double checked. My email went out two weeks ago yesterday. I've spent plenty of money lately so I'm in no rush. :lol:

All I'm seeing here are lots of projects potentially in the works. :twisted::mrgreen:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I typically see them every Friday and it's been about 3 weeks since I've seen them because they've been so busy with JCK, etc. I feel like things may get back to 'normal' by mid-July.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ugh. Annoys me that other people have to inform existing and potential customers the reason for a vendors silence/absence.

How can you run a business and just disappear for weeks?! How unprofessional.

It's not that hard to set up an automated email saying "I'm going away and will be unable to respond for X weeks".

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. Annoys me that other people have to inform existing and potential customers the reason for a vendors silence/absence.

How can you run a business and just disappear for weeks?! How unprofessional.

It's not that hard to set up an automated email saying "I'm going away and will be unable to respond for X weeks".

I have seen months... And not once.

I think that any good jeweler whose prices are not unsurmountable eventually gets swamped with orders. It is my understanding that the nature of the business is such that one can not limit new clients, either, so everyone gets backlogged. To add to it, people have own unexpected problems, flu, sick kids, what not. Maybe we should share more names of jewelers who charge decent prices and do a good job, to promote competition?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have seen months... And not once.

I think that any good jeweler whose prices are not unsurmountable eventually gets swamped with orders. It is my understanding that the nature of the business is such that one can not limit new clients, either, so everyone gets backlogged. To add to it, people have own unexpected problems, flu, sick kids, what not. Maybe we should share more names of jewelers who charge decent prices and do a good job, to promote competition?

You know, I just feel like for the price we're paying for this luxery hobby... we as customers deserve better.

Professionalism is a thing. No matter how swamped one gets, it should be dealt with correctly. The automated email thing - not hard to do. I guess it comes down to do you actually care about how you're presenting yourself to your customers.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Theredspinel I can agree with you on better communication but I have dealt with much worse. Actually, I'm dealing with much worse right now. I think David and his team are overwhelmed with work right now. I'm not saying it's acceptable for a customer to receive zero communication (not even an automated response). No one wants to wait weeks to hear back from a vendor:confused:. Regardless, I try to be more understanding. Life is complicated. I'm just grateful that I have been blessed enough to have such an expensive hobby. :D

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Also, as far as I know none of us have tried calling him.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, well I'm going to share my thoughts as a country girl. He's basically running a family business, I think, even if it is in the big city. He probably doesn't have IT staff or 24/7 customer service. So it's not like dealing with Zappos, and you shouldn't expect it to be. Some people just freaking hate email. He has all the business he can handle and then some, so he handles his "to do" list in the way that will get it cleared the fastest (i.e. slow down new work coming in). DK has done one ring for me and it was done to high quality with nice communication and a quick timeline. Others I would recommend are Julia B on Etsy, who has some beautiful designs, and Ivy & Rose, who will do custom work too.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel -

The staff from DKJ were at JCK for a week, then Amy went on vacation and David has the flu. And yes, they care a great deal about how they present themselves to customers, but they're real people existing in real time, not just in some fantasy land of perfect customer service. To suggest otherwise is uninformed.

The automated response thing sounds great - because it makes everyone feel their email was heard and noted - which of course it ISN'T, because it's AUTOMATED. Far better to wait to hear from a real person. They're so swamped because their work is so good and their prices are low - and I think that's all they 'owe' their custoners. And, as you say, it's a luxury hobby; it's not like we're waiting to hear from them about our upcoming brain surgery.

Try calling.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
I usually email, & i've never called since i'm in Australia.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
theredspinel -

The staff from DKJ were at JCK for a week, then Amy went on vacation and David has the flu. And yes, they care a great deal about how they present themselves to customers, but they're real people existing in real time, not just in some fantasy land of perfect customer service. To suggest otherwise is uninformed.

The automated response thing sounds great - because it makes everyone feel their email was heard and noted - which of course it ISN'T, because it's AUTOMATED. Far better to wait to hear from a real person. They're so swamped because their work is so good and their prices are low - and I think that's all they 'owe' their custoners. And, as you say, it's a luxury hobby; it's not like we're waiting to hear from them about our upcoming brain surgery.

Try calling.

Well I don't need to be having brain surgery to expect a higher level of professionalism! That's not where my threshold lies...and nor should it. You run a business, you be professional. It's pretty simple. If you're not, you're going under. Not a case of if, it's a case of when. If you can't handle that - then don't run a business.

Re the part in bold, not your business to inform customers of that. Fair enough I get not being able to respond when you're sick, but going away? You don't just go away! You plan that so whilst you're planning that..plan something for your business too. So customers don't feel like you've just disappeared and need to go on the net to find out from strangers where you are.

I'm not just talking about new customers btw, I can understand why new costumers emails would get responded to slowly; I'm talking about existing customers who also feel like wth where's David gone. There's another thread here I'm specifically referring to.

Oh and I love how you say they've travelled away for a week, then gone on holiday then been sick. Then later on ellude their silence is due to being "swamped" because of good prices and low work. They aren't unresponsive because they're swamped it's because they've gone on holiday! (According to you).

@elle : Very true, to be grateful. And I guess because you're going through worse and you're waiting to hear back from a new project you're not as annoyed at this situation. But there's another thread here where someone received shoddy work and has been trying to rectify it but unable to get a hold of David. (Although her work was originally through TGP). I think slipping up here and there is normal, everyone's human, it just shouldn't be the normal way you run your business.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to offer for all of us to collectively make a positive wish - that all of us PS-ers who have our stones in work receive our items soon, and are happy with them! I know the underlying feeling very well, it is anxiety, I remember it so well! So I am wishing to elle_71125, to theredspinel, and to all PS-ers who are waiting - to get their ordered items finished soon, and may they be stunning, and may everyone be happy! (Same wish to myself). :)

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I didn't realize I would touch such a nerve. I asked to make sure I had the right method of communication for David and Amy. Some people aren't email people even if they are business people or they might prefer new customers call first. And I don't think its fair to compare a small business to a larger business. There are always tradeoffs in life. I could go ask a larger business to make my necklace but I would pay a premium for that. Since I expect David will be more reasonable in terms of price I'm happy to accept a longer response time.

In any event, although I'm useless at it, I'm happy to wait. The upside is I might now have earrings to add to my project list!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a project in the works and David did tell me he was going to be gone for a week to attend the jewelry show. In years I have known David I have come to trust him completely. I am in the camp of willing to wait for my project because I believe he truly cares about his customers and he does amazing work. Also- I am sure I take up a lot of David's time with my requests to change this, change that, and oh I have changed my mind on the design can we please start from scratch? I don't know how he remains so patient with me. lol

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I don't need to be having brain surgery to expect a higher level of professionalism! That's not where my threshold lies...and nor should it. You run a business, you be professional. It's pretty simple. If you're not, you're going under. Not a case of if, it's a case of when. If you can't handle that - then don't run a business.

Re the part in bold, not your business to inform customers of that. Fair enough I get not being able to respond when you're sick, but going away? You don't just go away! You plan that so whilst you're planning that..plan something for your business too. So customers don't feel like you've just disappeared and need to go on the net to find out from strangers where you are.

I'm not just talking about new customers btw, I can understand why new costumers emails would get responded to slowly; I'm talking about existing customers who also feel like wth where's David gone. There's another thread here I'm specifically referring to.

Oh and I love how you say they've travelled away for a week, then gone on holiday then been sick. Then later on ellude their silence is due to being "swamped" because of good prices and low work. They aren't unresponsive because they're swamped it's because they've gone on holiday! (According to you).

@elle : Very true, to be grateful. And I guess because you're going through worse and you're waiting to hear back from a new project you're not as annoyed at this situation. But there's another thread here where someone received shoddy work and has been trying to rectify it but unable to get a hold of David. (Although her work was originally through TGP). I think slipping up here and there is normal, everyone's human, it just shouldn't be the normal way you run your business.

I hear what you're saying. But you're looking for the store not run by real people. And most people here know the absolute care and consideration with which DKJ treat their customers. And going on vacation from time to time, when you work as hard as DKJ does, is essential - not an act of laziness, nor unprofessionalism. There is no time to go on vacation that will suit everyone.

And I can absolutely share that info; giving you some explanation should be useful to you so you have context. I think most people understand that people - even jewelers! - have - and should have - more to their lives than just the job they do, and life in general is a balancing act. The interesting part is that you feel you have the right to dictate when DKJ can go on vacation and when they can't, what equals professional and what doesn't, what I can share and what I can't - and on and on. So many rules, so little time....

Again, call them. Leave a message detailing your concerns. Or not. Up to you. But you're misled to be slamming one of the nicest, hardest working shops in the biz.

TheElm - no nerve touched here. I hope they get to you soon. And - again - if they don't, call them; I generally find that more effective than email. I agree, by the way, about smaller businesses compared to larger ones. I recommend Blue Nile, for instance, for diamonds all the time - but NEVER settings. Their prong work is rough and lumpy and generally uneven, so - altho you get your ring speedily - big shops rarely have the attention to detail one wants. Anyway, I count a slow response by my jeweler as the definitive first world problem, ergo not worth too much angst.

I hope your finished project, when it happens, is all you hope it to be! :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a project in the works and David did tell me he was going to be gone for a week to attend the jewelry show. In years I have known David I have come to trust him completely. I am in the camp of willing to wait for my project because I believe he truly cares about his customers and he does amazing work. Also- I am sure I take up a lot of David's time with my requests to change this, change that, and oh I have changed my mind on the design can we please start from scratch? I don't know how he remains so patient with me. lol

I trust David too. He and his team have never let me down on a project. He actually overnighted one of my rings last year so I could have it for Christmas (all at his expense). It made me ridiculously happy! :kiss:

Lisa, I too have changed my mind on a project and started from scratch. He was great about it and made no complaints. How many businesses can you say that about? Man, he clearly has to put up with a lot with our business alone..:lol:

Personally, I find that getting a price is usually the slowest part. Admittedly, I always email because I am terrible at explaining what I want without the aid of inspiration pictures. I'm sure calling would be different. I don't mind waiting because he and his team are great people who offer great products at a great price.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hear what you're saying. But you're looking for the store not run by real people. And most people here know the absolute care and consideration with which DKJ treat their customers. And going on vacation from time to time, when you work as hard as DKJ does, is essential - not an act of laziness, nor unprofessionalism. There is no time to go on vacation that will suit everyone.

And I can absolutely share that info; giving you some explanation should be useful to you so you have context. I think most people understand that people - even jewelers! - have - and should have - more to their lives than just the job they do, and life in general is a balancing act. The interesting part is that you feel you have the right to dictate when DKJ can go on vacation and when they can't, what equals professional and what doesn't, what I can share and what I can't - and on and on. So many rules, so little time....

Again, call them. Leave a message detailing your concerns. Or not. Up to you. But you're misled to be slamming one of the nicest, hardest working shops in the biz.

TheElm - no nerve touched here. I hope they get to you soon. And - again - if they don't, call them; I generally find that more effective than email. I agree, by the way, about smaller businesses compared to larger ones. I recommend Blue Nile, for instance, for diamonds all the time - but NEVER settings. Their prong work is rough and lumpy and generally uneven, so - altho you get your ring speedily - big shops rarely have the attention to detail one wants. Anyway, I count a slow response by my jeweler as the definitive first world problem, ergo not worth too much angst.

I hope your finished project, when it happens, is all you hope it to be! :)

Oh no you've totally misunderstood. Ofcoirse they should go on vacation, who shouldn't?! I wasn't saying it's bad for them to go or saying what time of year they should go at all. I'm saying before they go put measures in place for their business.

If working in an office (or anywhere) you wouldn't just disappear of to vacation without saying a word to anyone. I'm sure if you have kids or a family, you'd also fill them in on your future absence... in no walk of life do you just *disappear*.

I'm sure DK is a great guy. I'm even sure he's amazingly polite and generous (he definitely sounds it). All of that doesn't negate this is bad customer service.

The nicest people in the world can run a business poorly...with poor communication. That's what I'm saying. Nothing more nothing less.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are we surprised this happens? Its unfortunate, yes, but its the pattern that we on PS see with regularity over time: A vendor is found, shown on this board, loved and gains in popularity due to creativity, price point and quality. Pretty soon they are swamped as a small cottage industry and cannot keep up with demand the way their consumers would like. Eventually, complaints begin to surface on this board about them. Sometimes it escalates and they go out of business (DanielM for example), sometimes they just go back to being less popular. One vendor who's name I cannot recall (a woman who ran the business in her given name) would only take a number of projects on at any given time. She would have a note on her website indicating that she would not accept new projects until such and such a date in the future. Even she, as far as I can tell, took a hit in the popularity department eventually.

I'm just pointing out what is almost inevitable. PSers are knowledgeable, price and quality conscious consumers. Sometimes that comes at a price - this is often the price, unfortunately.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you working with him on a project?

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you working with him on a project?

No I'm not.

You don't need to be working with him to be able to have a view on his (lack of) customer service.

And you also don't need to lose your ability to think for yourself or be objective when evaluating performance just because you have worked with him. "I know him so he can't do no bad" complex.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It wasn't clear, so I asked. That's all.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It wasn't clear, so I asked. That's all.

Sorry :oops: I'm biting people's heads off left, right and centre today. Maybe I should get offline.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results