shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha advice. Anyone heard of "Cor Gems"?

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
So, I've been wanting to add a nice pad to my collection for a while. Looking online, I came across this really nice stone:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252872776935?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

It's pretty, but the seller is asking a small fortune, I hope I can get him down, though. Anyone have any experience with Cor Gems? Any other pads you can recommend? My budget is 2.5k. Funny enough, the seller has the same name as me, so I'll start with that when I negotiate the price. Love to hear your thoughts!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From ebay- his feedback only shows one sale and that was to a buyer who did not receive the gem. All his feedback appears to be from buying. Africa Gems has some pads but I am no Pad expert. Hopefully some members who are will answer you soon.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not heard of GGTL lab. It is not on the short list of reputable labs that I know to rely on. Fwiw, it makes me doubt the lab when they have their logo and name in small print, and "GIA" in huge print, followed in smaller print by "Alumni Association" like they are trying to trick the buyer into thinking the lab is actually GIA. As for the gem itself, I would not be falling all over myself to buy a stone of mediocre cutting, with questionable color. But that is me.

Have you looked through the list of stone vendors that members here have vetted?
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/list-of-vendors-for-reference.208782/

Reactions: T L

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
From ebay- his feedback only shows one sale and that was to a buyer who did not receive the gem. All his feedback appears to be from buying. Africa Gems has some pads but I am no Pad expert. Hopefully some members who are will answer you soon.
I sure hope so. I want a pad so bad!

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
I have not heard of GGTL lab. It is not on the short list of reputable labs that I know to rely on. Fwiw, it makes me doubt the lab when they have their logo and name in small print, and "GIA" in huge print, followed in smaller print by "Alumni Association" like they are trying to trick the buyer into thinking the lab is actually GIA. As for the gem itself, I would not be falling all over myself to buy a stone of mediocre cutting, with questionable color. But that is me.

Have you looked through the list of stone vendors that members here have vetted?
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/list-of-vendors-for-reference.208782/

The cut is my biggest concern. It's already just barely over 1 ct, so going under 1 ct with a recut would not be fun. The color is exactly what I'm looking for though, bright pink with a hint of orang. I actually have heard of GGTL and was checking out their website. All *two* of their gemologists are GIA graduates. Haha. At this price, I hope he'll throw in an AGL report.

I'm looking through the vendor list now. Thanks

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GGTL gem brief states it's a "pink sapphire," not a padparadcha. Ditto everything Minousbijoux said as well.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the link, Norman. Ed is an amazing storyteller! It is clear he has a true love for what he does. I enjoy his website so much.

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
I think it's hard to define the "padparadscha" colour. I believe the original definition is that it should be fairly light in tone, and the eBay one seems pretty dark. However, I also read that darker tones are now being accepted as pads. I agree with TL, usually, the certificate will specifically say "padparadscha" and not just "pink".

How about this one?

http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p225/1.55_ct_Padparadscha_Sapphire.html

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From what I have gathered with the dealers, it is more of the saturation than the tone. There should be no brown or gray modifier. So a pinkish orange or orangy pink with a bit of gray or brown will not be considered a pad by many dealers. The darker tones are actually preferred at local level, especially the orangy pink ones which are very beautiful. Also, traditionally, a pad should be unheated and from Sri Lanka....so being unheated, the darker tones are rarer than the lighter ones (when I say darker tones, I mean darker ones that can be found in colors of Sri Lankan origin, not orangy reds or brownish stones typical of African stones). However, because of the rarity of the color, the trade accepts heated (no BE) stones as pads as well as origin from other sources.

So given the brownish hue of the stone on the link of the first post as I see it on my screen, personally, I wouldn't consider it a pad.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why does OP have the same name as the Ebay seller?

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Why does OP have the same name as the Ebay seller?
"Muhammad" is the most common name in the world. There were 10 "Muhammad Ali"s, same spelling at my university! I didn't end up going with the seller anyway. It seems fishy to me, he randomly bumped the price up by $2000 and said the stone is at GIA.... hmmm....

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
From what I have gathered with the dealers, it is more of the saturation than the tone. There should be no brown or gray modifier. So a pinkish orange or orangy pink with a bit of gray or brown will not be considered a pad by many dealers. The darker tones are actually preferred at local level, especially the orangy pink ones which are very beautiful. Also, traditionally, a pad should be unheated and from Sri Lanka....so being unheated, the darker tones are rarer than the lighter ones (when I say darker tones, I mean darker ones that can be found in colors of Sri Lankan origin, not orangy reds or brownish stones typical of African stones). However, because of the rarity of the color, the trade accepts heated (no BE) stones as pads as well as origin from other sources.

So given the brownish hue of the stone on the link of the first post as I see it on my screen, personally, I wouldn't consider it a pad.
I think it's hard to define the "padparadscha" colour. I believe the original definition is that it should be fairly light in tone, and the eBay one seems pretty dark. However, I also read that darker tones are now being accepted as pads. I agree with TL, usually, the certificate will specifically say "padparadscha" and not just "pink".

How about this one?

http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p225/1.55_ct_Padparadscha_Sapphire.html

I think I'm in love! Only issue is that it's heated. If I can find that exact color unheated, for that price (or just a bit more), I'm gonna jump on it. One issue is that the Canadian dollar is so weak right now. On second thought, maybe more pink. I want it to look like an actual lotus blossom.

mahaha

Shiny_Rock
I think I'm in love! Only issue is that it's heated. If I can find that exact color unheated, for that price (or just a bit more), I'm gonna jump on it. One issue is that the Canadian dollar is so weak right now. On second thought, maybe more pink. I want it to look like an actual lotus blossom.

I hear you about the Canadian dollar. Wish we bought a few years ago right?

For pads, I think heated vs unheated isn't a big deal. The colour is much rarer than the standard blue, so even for a heated "true" pad is still very special. This is my opinion :).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you are obviously a legit poster, I will respond. I did not earlier because I wasn't sure.

1. Is the colouration even? The pictures are so horrible that I cannot tell
2. I see 3 major inclusions. Do any of them break the surface?

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
I hear you about the Canadian dollar. Wish we bought a few years ago right?

For pads, I think heated vs unheated isn't a big deal. The colour is much rarer than the standard blue, so even for a heated "true" pad is still very special. This is my opinion :).
Yes, so much so! I was considering waiting a year, but it seems the loonie is just getting weaker!

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Since you are obviously a legit poster, I will respond. I did not earlier because I wasn't sure.

1. Is the colouration even? The pictures are so horrible that I cannot tell
2. I see 3 major inclusions. Do any of them break the surface?
The pictures are pretty garbage, the saturation is strong, but it's zoned, pink with patches or orange. As Seaglow mentioned, the big problem with it is the brown modifier. That stops it from being a true pad. I'm considering the Finewater Gems stone, but I was dead set on the stone being unheated. I'll keep looking. Thanks to everyone for the advice! http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p225/1.55_ct_Padparadscha_Sapphire.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would rather accept a heated stone than an unheated with obvious zoning.

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
I would rather accept a heated stone than an unheated with obvious zoning.
Definitely a good point. But. I don't plan on wearing this piece. I want to pass down something unique to my grandkids. I'm definitely not going with the eBay stone, I'm glad I posted on here since I was awestruck, but after reading some very good points and the suspicious behavior of the seller, it's best to move on.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Muhammad" is the most common name in the world. There were 10 "Muhammad Ali"s, same spelling at my university! I didn't end up going with the seller anyway. It seems fishy to me, he randomly bumped the price up by $2000 and said the stone is at GIA.... hmmm....

Hi Muhammad, welcome to PS. I understand what you're saying. I realize Muhammad is a common name (met a lot of Muhammads when I worked in Abu Dhabi)! :) But since we do get a fair number of fake posters and shills on PS, it was naturally a little odd to see a new user post a thread and by sheer coincidence have the same name as the seller being mentioned. But I hope you can forgive my cynicism and mistake in this case. I am very glad to have been proved wrong and look forward to seeing more of your posts in PS.
Peace be with you--.

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Hi Muhammad, welcome to PS. I understand what you're saying. I realize Muhammad is a common name (met a lot of Muhammads when I worked in Abu Dhabi)! :) But since we do get a fair number of fake posters and shills on PS, it was naturally a little odd to see a new user post a thread and by sheer coincidence have the same name as the seller being mentioned. But I hope you can forgive my cynicism and mistake in this case. I am very glad to have been proved wrong and look forward to seeing more of your posts in PS.
Peace be with you--.

Mochiko, there is nothing to forgive! It definitely seems fishy for a new poster to have the same name as the dealer. Unfortunately, I am in the much more boring banking and finance business and not the gem business.

I only buy stones for personal enjoyment. I've only ever sold one piece, I went to get an appraisal and the jeweler made me an on-the-spot offer for much more than I paid. Other than that, I've never sold a stone.

Thank you for your warm welcome!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results