color
clarity

Pendant or ring, setting a peridot for my mom need help

Ring or pendant?

• Total voters

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Hi,
So, I've been casually collecting stones for a few years, but don't have any experience with setting jewelry. My mom's birthstone is peridot, so it was an obvious choice. I picked up this 3.96 ct beauty at a local gem show in April. I'm not sure whether it's better suited to a ring or a pendant. Prong set, bezel set or something totally unique?

The stone is definitely included, so I'd like to downplay that, if possible.

My budget for this isn't huge, so I'm thinking 925 silver unless you have any unique alternatives that'll work with peridot. Any guidance will be appreciated! 20170526_033335.jpg 20170526_033405.jpg 20170526_033417.jpg

20170526_033424.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone. Nothing to add for ideas, as I'll leave that up to those more knowledgeable, but just wanted to say I like the color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty peridot. Since these stones are on the soft side, I'd do a pendant, unless your mom is very careful with wearing gemstone rings. Bezels can damage stones unless you find a very experienced and careful jeweler. I would prong set, and if doing silver, I would go with double prongs as it is a soft metal and that is a large stone, especially in a ring.

What is the mm size of the stone? You're lucky it is a round as they're very easy to find inexpensive settings for online.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color! I voted pendant simply because a pendant won't be subjected to the close scrutiny a ring would, and therefore the inclusions are less of an issue. And, as TL mentioned, a pendant setting is safer for a large and soft(er) stone. But a lot depends on your mother and her sense of style. Whatever you decide, that's a beautiful stone that's sure to get her lots of attention!

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Very pretty peridot. Since these stones are on the soft side, I'd do a pendant, unless your mom is very careful with wearing gemstone rings. Bezels can damage stones unless you find a very experienced and careful jeweler. I would prong set, and if doing silver, I would go with double prongs as it is a soft metal and that is a large stone, especially in a ring.

What is the mm size of the stone? You're lucky it is a round as they're very easy to find inexpensive settings for online.
Ohhh, thanks! I'm definitely thinking bezel or double prong pendant with an 18" chain. I'm going to go rummaging through her jewelry box to see if she prefers prongs or bezels.

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Beautiful color! I voted pendant simply because a pendant won't be subjected to the close scrutiny a ring would, and therefore the inclusions are less of an issue. And, as TL mentioned, a pendant setting is safer for a large and soft(er) stone. But a lot depends on your mother and her sense of style. Whatever you decide, that's a beautiful stone that's sure to get her lots of attention!
Thanks! There were plenty of IF, super clean peridots that were cheaper, but when I saw the color, I knew it was the one.

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock

9.54 x 9.54 x 6.45 mm

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
9.54 x 9.54 x 6.45 mm
That peridot is gorgeous! I love the color! I also like that it looks kind of sugary. Your mom will love her pendant. Our local gem show had a fantastic selection of some gems, but unfortunately peridot wasn't one of them. I looked. Is the peridot Pakistani?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So a 10mm setting would suffice, it's rather deep, so I would round up to 10mm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results