shape
carat
color
clarity

Racism on Pricescope

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Indylady, per the terms of service, if you'd like to question our motives please contact us directly instead of posting accusations.

The thread was reported to me three times, none of the posts reported had any accusations of racism. We removed a few posts that were reported because they were rude. I do not work full time, and on a weekend night that may mean that I deal with reported posts only.

We try our best not to censor, which means that sometimes posts on both sides of the political spectrum get left up when personally I would prefer to remove particular ones that I don't agree with. We think free speech is important even if it is speech I do not personally like. Be careful what you wish for, when free speech is policed it is good until those doing the policing do not agree with you.

If there is a blatantly racist post and we see it, you absolutely bet we would remove it and give the poster a time out. Same with unnecessarily rude posts, which is why we have given far more time outs lately than before.

Hi Ella,

I appreciate that you've stepped in. I wish that you had responded to the topic at hand. Again, this topic is not about the political spectrum, but about racism.

To me, telling me that I should contact you in private if I wish to understand your 'motives', but that you will not 'police' 'free speech' until it is 'blatantly' racist seems hypocritical and contradictory. How is the thread I referred to in my original post not blatantly racist?

We can say anything we want on the board, as long as it is not a criticism of the administrators?

I am also sorry to hear that you are understaffed. However, this not a charity or not profit; as a profit-earning business, I encourage you to hire an additional administrator.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want Ella's job...:lol:.. :think: who should I ban?...:mrgreen:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I have had Ruby on ignore for a while. What remains funny is that when I go to read a thread all I see are responses to Ruby. The truth is that Ruby has control of this board. That's an important point.
I come to PS to try to learn something new. When I see a thread on objecting to Michelle OBama writing a letter of recommendation for someone, I know it will be pointless to even read, let alone comment.
Take this board back. Ignore her. You are helping her damage the board.
I don't want people censured, but I don't want PS to go downhill either. There are some wise and smart people on here that I enjoy reading. If there are racist remarks made, sure alert the admin. But I suspect most people don't think they are being racist.
Indy Lady, good to see you back.

Annette

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I protect the right of people to share their opinions, but will not protect posts that are meant to demean others. Period. --Ella

Exactly correct response. :clap:

So now we all have to do our part
and "report concern" when we feel that someone is being insulting or outside the usual PS etiquette. Simple as that.

Now I have to go back and report concern a jillion times . . . :)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
I have had Ruby on ignore for a while. What remains funny is that when I go to read a thread all I see are responses to Ruby. The truth is that Ruby has control of this board. That's an important point.
I come to PS to try to learn something new. When I see a thread on objecting to Michelle OBama writing a letter of recommendation for someone, I know it will be pointless to even read, let alone comment.
Take this board back. Ignore her. You are helping her damage the board.
I don't want people censured, but I don't want PS to go downhill either. There are some wise and smart people on here that I enjoy reading. If there are racist remarks made, sure alert the admin. But I suspect most people don't think they are being racist.
Indy Lady, good to see you back.

Annette
Actually, report concern may be the best response. Let's help the admin out.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I will thank you to stop mentioning or cutting and pasting my name in your posts. That is reportable as well.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So now we all have to do our part and "report concern" when we feel that someone is being insulting or outside the usual PS etiquette. Simple as that.

Now I have to go back and report concern a jillion times . . . :)
I have been insulted a million times here but never clicked the report button. Why? b/c I have thick skins. nothing people say would bother me...:praise:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ella,

I appreciate that you've stepped in. I wish that you had responded to the topic at hand. Again, this topic is not about the political spectrum, but about racism.

To me, telling me that I should contact you in private if I wish to understand your 'motives', but that you will not 'police' 'free speech' until it is 'blatantly' racist seems hypocritical and contradictory. How is the thread I referred to in my original post not blatantly racist?

We can say anything we want on the board, as long as it is not a criticism of the administrators?

I am also sorry to hear that you are understaffed. However, this not a charity or not profit; as a profit-earning business, I encourage you to hire an additional administrator.

Again as per Ella

The thread was reported to me three times, none of the posts reported had any accusations of racism.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I have been insulted a million times here but never clicked the report button. Why? b/c I have thick skins. nothing people say would bother me...:praise:

I did find it amusing that people here report each other all the time.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did find it amusing that people here report each other all the time.
IMO, Ella's job is not to baby sit every PSer.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Same here except for once when I was put on timeout for bad language in response to that white dog person. I did not report her, I reported the incessant use of foul language by others after that incident. It seemed a little lopsided to me but after talking to Ella I found out how the moderator position works and she is part time. I don't report because I would feel silly reporting posts because I got my feelers hurt or don't agree with someone's opinion. We are all adults presumably and it should not be her job to babysit.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, report concern may be the best response. Let's help the admin out.
So I just read through the entire offensive and nonsense quagmire that was the Michelle Obama thread and reported posts that were blatantly horrific. But I think the broader issue is that the ENTIRE INTENT of the thread is so obviously offensive.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Indylady,
I didn't read this thread. But I am very glad you pointed it out. Threads like these, have no use here, but that is just my humble opinion.
Hope all is well with you!!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new format with the new ignore function is wonderful. Because now I do not even see a thread if they start one. While I understand others like Arcadian who do not put anyone on ignore, it is better for me and my well being not to get involved with them - "drop that rope." Those on my ignore list do not garner one scintilla of respect from me and contribute nothing, in my eyes, to a conversation. They have earned that distinction.

Last edited:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I will thank you to stop mentioning or cutting and pasting my name in your posts. That is reportable as well.
Mentioning a poster's name is not reportable. And if you're speaking to me, I did not cut and paste, I quoted an actual post verbatim.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So I just read through the entire offensive and nonsense quagmire that was the Michelle Obama thread and reported posts that were blatantly horrific. But I think the broader issue is that the ENTIRE INTENT of the thread is so obviously offensive.

Yes, it is.

White Senators write letters of recommendation for college admission All The Time. To remark on it when a black person does The Exact Same Thing is basically racist.

Here's the litmus test for "is it racist?":

If a white person did the same thing as a black person (or Asian person, or Indian person, or whomever is involved) would you find it remarkable?
If the answer is no, then remarking upon it is racist. Simple as that.

I know it's a cliche to say, but I have black friends. One was so close to me that she threw the shower for my baby and I threw the shower for her baby. To see that people, in this day and age, are still bigoted against skin color stuns me. Skin color? Seriously? Why not hair color or eye color? If some see fit to be so immature or childish, they are lame.

Lame.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Mentioning a poster's name is not reportable. And if you're speaking to me, I did not cut and paste, I quoted an actual post verbatim.

It is when the post itself violates board etiquette.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
White Senators write letters of recommendation for college admission All The Time. To remark on it when a black person does The Exact Same Thing is basically racist.

You continue to belaber a point that has already been decided by those in charge of this board.

And even though they were reported over and over, they were not racist.

So all of this is in your opinion only.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
It is when the post itself violates board etiquette.
Tell me, ruby, what is the board etiquette, exactly? I can't seem to find it anywhere. . . .

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My general opinion is that

a. if the person is behaving like a troll solely for the purpose of getting attention or to spice up the forum, or just because they want to be a pain in the a**, then like arkie said, ignore is the best option and the most satisfying. If I ever feel like I have the energy to read what they're saying, I can show the ignored content.

b. if the person truly believes the things he/she is saying, I'd rather know what they are, even if I don't agree with them. I want to know what the person is about. I might post / respond to state MY viewpoint, but not be attached to it. Meaning I don't expect - nor do I want - back and forth conversation. I'd say my piece, and go. But I want to know what that person is about as that may influence how I deal with them in all threads, not just in political / sensitive ones.

So either way, I'd rather have the option to read what they have to say than not. Like missy said deleting them doesn't delete their thoughts or behavior. We're better off knowing what those thoughts are.
I don't think that she is behaving like a troll, I think that most of the people here think like the "coasts" do, and then we have maybe two who thinks like the rest of the country does. The easiest thing is to ban or ignore, but we have been ignoring them, that other half, and debating among ourselves, but see where it took us in 2016? I would like to hear "the other" group, how "mine" thinks I know.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Tell me, ruby, what is the board etiquette, exactly? I can't seem to find it anywhere. . . .
Look under TOS or ask Ella for a clarification.

But I can give you the definition of slander.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Reported concern: attempt to thread jack, attempting to incite controversy about race and politics.
How can I thread jack my own thread which I started.

And again, my posts had nothing to do with race, that was your opinion only.

Controversy about politics - none on that on this board regarding Trump.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
How can I thread jack my own thread which I started.

And again, my posts had nothing to do with race, that was your opinion only.

This is IndyLady's thread.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
This is IndyLady's thread.
Do note when the bashing started in earnest all last night and into this morning, I never commented once until Ella made her clarifications.

It is only after that when people continued to slander me that I spoke up.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Ilander, you are obviously trying to incite me so you can report.

I did not fall for it last night or now.

Have a nice afternoon.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Hi Ella,

We ask that you do us the courtesy of coming to us directly rather than starting rumors about our motives. I would also like to point out that if I wanted to censor you, I would have removed your posts from this thread. I just am asking that you are respectful and contact us with concerns before running to the forum to start rumors about our motivations.

How was the thread's original question racist? We can all guess that there may have been other motivations for that thread. However, the OP did not mention race at all. It only became explicitly race later in the conversation, which I am now reading in its entirety since users have started to report other posts in that thread.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Ilander, you are obviously trying to incite me so you can report.

I did not fall for it last night or now.

Have a nice afternoon.

I am not inciting you. I am telling you when and why I have reported concerns about your posts. I believe in not doing things behind someone's back. I am being up front with you, I have reported concerns, as indicated.

Again, I'm off to do some quilting. See ya.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well my name has been brought up several times so I feel compelled to comment. *I know we all form impressions of each other based on what is posted.* That's only natural. However there are definite patterns that are difficult to ignore. We all have different world views and while that can provoke interesting conversation, I do think some posters take their personal world view as FACT. That can create some problems. I have personally cringed many times and sometimes struggle to "ignore" certain comments. I am not sure I would define that as insanity. I know I will not change anyone's personal views. Sometimes I just have to "say" it out loud for myself. It's hard to judge motives as mine have been misinterpreted before which led to *threats* by several posters. Luckily those were identified by Ella and told to stop. Overall I imagine moderating this forum would be difficult. Most of us have very strong opinions on, well, everything. I am grateful we have a moderator that welcomes concerns and feedback.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results