shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting for Old European Cut

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
I am a newbie and I have just chose a 1ct CER from Victor for her engagement ring. I have 5-6months time to choose a setting so the real work begins now (Gosh and I thought deciding a diamond was difficult!). I may not set it with Victor because I'm not in the US and want to see the stone first. Also, it's a bit costly for me with Victor although I read so much about his excellent work. I'd appreciate your input and suggestions. Thank you all:)

1.002ct F VS2 6.32x6.28.3.97 Crown 37% Pav 40.8 Table 50.1 Thin-Thick girdle

What she DOES NOT prefer - vintage (mostly too busy), extravagant looks, band that is too thin
What she prefers - solitaire, simplicity (rather vague I know), a couple of small stones to compliment it is OK but not 3stones ring, all platinum/white gold, something she can wear everyday (she works in office)
I have checked out Show Me Your Bling already but many diamonds are over 2ct and may not look the same on a 1ct.

Googled a bit and have some that 'I' like. She already know that I am looking for a ring so I don't want to ruin the surprise by asking for too many details from her. Here are what I got so far and I think I want a modern look but not just a simple one like Tiffany. I think for a 1ct CER it should be 4 prongs to give it a clean slick look and more lighting going in?

Forgot where I got this one..(could it be 4 prongs instead?)
IMG_4594.PNG
IMG_4595.PNG
Fire&Brilliance Victoria Filigree
FullSizeRender.jpg

Yatesville (but in platinum) http://www.trumpetandhorn.com/rose-gold-yatesville.html
IMG_4591.JPG
IMG_4592.JPG
Forgot where this is from..(in platinum)
IMG_4597.JPG

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you, would help to know so suggestions could be made for mount t suppliers. :)

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Hi Austina, I am in Hong Kong. Thanks.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, saw your message in another thread. I haven't got any experience with a good jeweler in Hong Kong to make a setting, as I usually get mine set in the US. I can suggest a local jeweler in Central that was recommended to me for maintenance and custom settings (but I haven't tried yet). In fact I tried a couple of small jewelers in Hong Kong but the quality of the work wasn't great and I ended up buying in the US.

You can also look for Burmesedaze in the colored stone forum, even though she is in SE Asia, she has a jeweler in Hong Kong she uses to set her rubies and sapphires etc.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that you're in Asia I would actually recommend that you have victor set it for you, though I totally understand you wanting to see the loose diamond. Victor's simple settings are quite reasonable given that they are hand forged and of the highest quality. Whatever setting you choose I would look for a vendor that makes delicate small, sharp prongs. A simple setting will allow the stone to be the star.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Number of prongs is really a personal preference, and not necessarily dependent on stone size (although larger stones are generally set with more prongs due to surface area security). So, if you liked the look of an eight-prong setting it could still certainly be done with a 1ct stone. For example, this is a "simple" solitaire setting but has a beautiful head/gallery to give it a bit of visual interest. ring.jpg ring2.jpg ring3.jpg ring4.jpg

Would she like something like that? Or is it plain head and design on the band that you're looking for? FWIW, if you like the look of that setting it can be done with 6 prongs as well and can also have some small diamonds put in the band.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah, yes, I can certainly identify with the quest to find the perfect setting!! Having just switched from a solitaire with a pave band (which I wore for 15+ years) to a simple cathedral solitaire that Victor created, I have to say that I LOVE the simple solitaire for so many, many reasons, and the simple, clean lines really allow the stone to be the star. I surprised myself by wanting that after so many years with something very different, but I am so grateful that I took the plunge and pursued a simple solitaire! :)

I would also recommend that you have Victor set the stone. He does such amazing work and he has a nice variety of simple solitaires from which to choose. If you don't see exactly what you are looking for he will work with you to customize a ring that encompasses all of your preferences. So as far as a source for the setting, I would vote for Victor, hands down, even if you don't get to see the stone in person first. He is THAT good!!

Here are just a few examples of his simple solitaires. Of these, I think the Gabriella is just exquisite!! :love:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-gabriella-six-prong-solitaire
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-adriana-six-prong-solitaire
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-irys-six-prong-solitaire

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Hi mochiko thanks maybe you can let me know the name of this jeweler in Central? There are quite a number of them in Central, google gave me this http://www.the5thc.com but seems rather pricey, I am just not sure if paying premium in HK is worth it. Anyway, would be helpful even if you can give me a name to look up. Thanks!

Hi LLJ, thanks again. Going with Victor would set me back at least another 2k although I know I'd have peace of mind with him having such a good rep for this craftsmanship. I just have to do more research on my local resources first.

Hi ILikeShiny, wow I like that basket!! Although not sure if she'd like the 8 prongs. I actually went into a shop today with her..she made a funny comment about a 6-prong reminding her of a bug lol..she is open to 4,6..We have not seen 8 prongs here yet. I still have months so I will find out! Thanks!

Hi Matthews yes I went through 20pages already in reverse chronological order haha..I've spent so much of my off-work hours on here in just the last few days lol. Thank you.

Hi carbonfan thanks! I did see them all on Victor's site before but don't know why I initially did not like the Adriana. Now I think that might be it! Strange how a stone or a setting could seem wrong at first but then totally moves up on the list in a mysterious way lol I did not like the OEC so kept looking at old cut cushions for days and then suddenly I totally thought the OEC is perfect. I can see how I will be all over the place in the next few months! Ok I just want to ask, in that link https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-adriana-six-prong-solitaire
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-adriana-six-prong-solitaire
it is a 3ct stone and it looks so beautiful but if it was my 1ct diamond would it look like too much metal cramping on the it? I prefer the round prongs this one has, think they suit my GF better.
This diamond ring shopping experience is very interesting:)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind, groovnstar, you're on the right path. With a 1ct Diamond, less is more, pertaining to a setting. The less metal around the stone, the more life & extra size you will create. The more fire you create from that sparkler, the bigger it will appear. Since she's not into complex texture, and she has simple taste, going with a 1.5-2.0mm shank, a raised, cathedral setting with some small accent diamonds (perhaps pave) along the shank (1/2-3/4 along the band) & a 4 prong head may be exactly what your 1ct diamond requires. I wouldn't do more than 6 prongs. You could even add small diamonds along the prongs...
I'm all about maximizing my diamonds. My EC would look nice, aesthetically, in a halo...but I'm a firm believer that EC's & AC's stand out better, alone. The only way I'd wrap a halo of metal & smaller diamonds around an EC would be if the center stone had strong color (i.e.: Emerald, Sapphire, or dark, Fancy Yellow). BC stones have more facets, allowing more light return...which makes them better candidates for halos & bezels. That's just my very strong opinion. You just have to be cautious with metal coverage when dealing with solitaires, esp if the setting is simple. "Less is more". ;-)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it will be fine. Ask victor but my guess is that he will scale down everything to the size and dimensions of your stone. It will look delicate and not overwhelm. But just talk with him and get any concerns out there. If it's not right for your stone, he will tell you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too love Victor Canera's Gabriella setting - particularly if you are looking for a solitaire setting for a stone. Having him set the stone makes the most sense if you find one that you like. He does fabulous work so I'm sure he won't disappoint you!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Groovnstar:
The video of that VC is gorgeous! So much open space! :love:
Would look amazing with bling along some of the prongs...not all...to give it some "character"...but it's perfect!
Hope you have narrowed your decision...I really don't think you can go wrong. LLJ is right...talk to him about scaling down to give her Diamond optimum light return & you have your ring!!!
Best wishes!!!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi groovnstar - Congrats on picking such a lovely diamond for your fiance. You can't go wrong with an F colour :love:. You have a good idea what she likes which is half the battle. Just to let you know that I have a 1 ct diamond ring (MRB) that has 6 prongs and it does not inhibit light return at all. The prongs were very well done, delicate but not fragile.

I just wanted to show you he setting I was going to get if I had managed to snag the diamond mentioned in the other thread. I love this particular one by Victor Canera. I was going to ask for single cut diamonds.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/cathedral-band-solitaire-with-scalloped-basket

View attachment upload_2017-4-30_12-48-24.gif Edited to say I can't get this to show the image.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results