shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Advice needed on eternity band

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
Wedding is June 10th and I need a band! Engagement ring is Diamond Scaasi "Stella" with a 2.5ct RB. Little asschers on the band.

I would like an asscher eternity. Would that look ok with this ring?? And what size eternity? I like the look of a U prong, but I'm really open to anything. It's hard when none of the jewelry stores near me carry eternity bands. I'm flying blind here.

Ring size is 6.

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring! I think an asscher eternity would look very nice with it. Have you tried on a prong set
(like a U prong) with your ering? I would try one on in a round (if you can find one). Make sure
you like the difference of the channel set ering with a prong set wedding band.

I think ID Jewelry may have done an asscher eternity band for someone but cant remember who.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your current ring is channel-set, I really think a channel-set asscher eternity would look best. I would try to get similar proportions to the sides of your current ring. For me, the difference between round prong set center stone + channel set asschers is big enough so that it too big a difference with the eternity band would be too much. I think a prong set one like this, with the triangle prongs, would work, but I'd keep the profile plain: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/three-3mm-ring-stack-too-thick.230659/

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'll need to be very careful with u-prongs and basket settings bc the prongs could eat into your e-ring or vice versa (it happened to my original set). You may have to wear a spacer but going the channel set or bead set route would eliminate this problem!

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone! distracts, know where I could find an eternity with the triangle prongs like the one in the thread you linked?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your current ring is channel-set, I really think a channel-set asscher eternity would look best. I would try to get similar proportions to the sides of your current ring. For me, the difference between round prong set center stone + channel set asschers is big enough so that it too big a difference with the eternity band would be too much. I think a prong set one like this, with the triangle prongs, would work, but I'd keep the profile plain: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/three-3mm-ring-stack-too-thick.230659/

Cannot agree more. You should seriously consider a band with the same style of setting as the ering, with stones the same size since you want it for your band. I predict that you will like the symmetry of the look more than having a u-prong next to it. That still gets my vote.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a matching band for your engagement ring from the company your purchased it from? If not, could you ask them to create something for you?

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
There isn't a matching band, unfortunately. Diamend Scaasi was great to work with, though, and I'm sure could help us again.

Fiance was hoping for more "bling" than a band that matches the band on my engagement ring. But if symmetry is ultimately going to look better, we'll do a band that looks just like the band on the e ring. I was hoping to get away from another channel set. Darn!

Could a channel set of the same width with different stones look ok? Like horizontal baguettes??

What about a bar set band?

I just don't necessarily want it to look like we bought them together as a set if that makes sense.

Last edited:

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
What about something like this?

bar set emerald eternity.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, truly then it depends on what kind of look you want. And the hard part is that you may not really k ow until you have something and test drive it for a while. There is nothing inherently wrong with buying the ering and band together. Be careful of wanting something much blingier. It may draw attention away from your ering. It would be a whole different kind of look. Maybe that is what you want and that is fine. Just know that going in. You've got two themes going on. Round brilliant center, asscher sides, thicker metal on a channel set. Then you add emerald cuts bar set. If that is ok with you, then go for it. Maybe you just need to get something you like, Wear it and then decide you don't like it. At that point, it may be more costly to make a change but you won't feel at peace about it until you discover for yourself what you like or don't like. Or you may love it and have no issues. I'm only sharing my own experience. Some people feel the same. Some don't. Good luck!!

Last edited:

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
Thank you, LLJsmom! I know what you mean about needing to try it out. I don't think I could go wrong with a channel set band to match my engagement ring. I'm wishing I didn't have a channel set band on my engagement ring, but no going back now!

Is this set belonging to Kristin Cavallari a look I could get or is it too different than mine to compare?

IMG_0045.JPG

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, LLJsmom! I know what you mean about needing to try it out. I don't think I could go wrong with a channel set band to match my engagement ring. I'm wishing I didn't have a channel set band on my engagement ring, but no going back now!

Is this set belonging to Kristin Cavallari a look I could get or is it too different than mine to compare?

IMG_0045.JPG
BabyO, of course you can get that look. It is clearly non matching and the eternity band is bold and demands it's own share of attention. It seems like you want that sort of look, two bold non-matching pieces. If you do, go for it. Just watch out for scale. Kristin's center is a 5 carat asscher. So her eternity is pretty big. Your center is a 2.5 MRB so your eternity should be scaled down some.

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
Thank you for responding! You've helped me so much, really!!

My engagement ring's band is about 3mm including the channel set, so if I get an eternity that is also 3mm, that's about 1.9ct, I think. Now I just need to find someone who has asschers that are lower than F-G. My center stone is an I color and I think I need H stones in the eternity. Does that sound about right?

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
I tried on a 3.5ct asscher eternity and it looked ok, a little big. I'm thinking about going with a 3ct asscher eternity from IDJ, but they only use F-G diamonds. My center stone is I color. Will this be a problem? I found an eternity band from Itay Malkin in G-H. It's more expensive.

Thoughts??

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
This is the 3.5ct eternity, F-G color

IMG_0053.JPG

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now, in the pic above, the band seems to be too high in height compared to your ering. In my opinion, it distracts too much from your e-ring and looks a bit awkward. This maybe due to the style of the setting and the fact that asschers are just deeper stones that will need more depth, thus protrude more from the top surface of the finger than an MRB, for example. I think a 3 carat will still be too big. I would consider going down to 2.5. Is there someplace you can go to try these on? I know these are not easy to find. I don't think the F-G color will be an issue because of the way asschers sparkle as compared to MRBs, which is your center stone. Asscher's don't flash little sparkles, as you know. They kind of do a slow wink, like a tilting mirror. So as you rotate your hand with asscher band, you won't see actual sharp flashes as much mirrors tilting. I'm saying the way that they spaarkle do not compete with each other. YOur MRB is big in comparison to each asscher. I think the bigger issue is finding the right size of asscher stones that satisfy your bling need, but doesn't look too awkward with your MRB. You also need to watch out where the asscher stones will (or not) hit the side of your ering.

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
Thank you, LlJsmom! They are hard to find to try on. The place I went only had the 3.5ct asscher eternity. They had these others that I thought looked pretty good, but Fiancé says are too plain. This is hard! I will try to find a 2.5ct asscher. Maybe I could try it and return if it doesn't work.

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OPINION ONLY. I like those last two more because I think the width and height of them more closely marches the size of your ering band. Can you order a couple cheapies (silver/cz) to test drive them on your hand. You may have to go custom, but before committing would be nice to know what you like on you and with your ring.

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
ringo865, I agree that the smaller ones look better with my ring, more complementary. I'm going to try some more on today. Hopefully something will jump out!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, LlJsmom! They are hard to find to try on. The place I went only had the 3.5ct asscher eternity. They had these others that I thought looked pretty good, but Fiancé says are too plain. This is hard! I will try to find a 2.5ct asscher. Maybe I could try it and return if it doesn't work.

IMG_0052.JPG

This top photo gets my vote. I love how the size and height of the band complement the e-ring, and the stone shapes within the band echo the entire e-ring design.

Could your boyfriend articulate WHY he thought they were too plain? Because I'm not seeing anything plain about it. Now, it doesn't jump out and me and scream "look at me!", but that's not what you want (or is it what he wants?).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 3.5 imo is too high and the stones are too big for your ering, The band overpowers it. I feel the ering should be the star of the show. The next two Look really nice, better height and more in proportion to your ering. The second one looks beautiful to my eye and really complements your ring.

BabyOwen

Rough_Rock
ILikeShiny, I think he likes a lot of finger coverage, something that people will notice. He wants it to "wow"

junebug17, when you say "the second one", do you mean the one with alternating rounds and baguettes or the one with rounds?

I'm going to try on a ton of different options, even if I don't think they'll work. I think by looking at different choices in person, the right size and style will show itself. He didn't get to see any of these in person yesterday.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with the advice you have been given here... I like the sets in your last pictures best! I think both matching and non-matching can look really nice as long as the rings are about the same height.

If you want a big asscher band, also maybe instead consider getting it as a rhr and in the size you prefer, let it shine on its own. And get a more "plain" band as a wb that would look better with the er? But that of course depends on what type of look you want!

I am the owner of the asscher band with triangular prongs in the thread that was posted previously in this thread. Just want to say re your question that I cant say where you can get a similar band, mine was custom made. The jeweler apparently thought it was difficult to make so if you go custom -make sure to use an experienced bench. But you seem to have steered in a different direction. :) :wavey:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one that is I think a round and baguette band is my favorite. I wonder if you could get something similar made that is round and asscher?

Unfortunately it's pretty hard to have TWO rings that jump out and are "wow" but also match without competing and clashing with each other. Most people who want to wear multiple rings like that do so on different fingers/hands. I definitely have multiple "wow" rings but I distribute them one a hand. Bands by their nature stand out less than rings with big center stones, and if you get a band with all big stones, imo it looks best on its own.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I was referring to the alternating round and baguette ring, the second to last pic you posted. Sorry for being confusing! I just took another look at the last pic (all rounds) and that one looks really nice too. Maybe that one would be a nice compromise with your fiance, the rounds will be very sparkly and noticeable!

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The alternating rounds/baguettes band looks great with your e-ring.
Not sure how much wow your fiancé wants before it overwhelms your lovely e-ring. Maybe tell him you need two bands - one to wear with your e-ring and one big honker to wear by itself ;-):razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results