color
clarity

Chocoberry Finn Needs a Forever Home

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello:wavey:!

I have a pink brown diamond - chocoberry Finn
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/choco-berry-finn-2-59-cts-of-brownish-pink-fun.191058/

Poor baby is steep deep which bothers me a bit. I'm supposed to get recut quotes from GOG and OWD. It's been less than a week so we'll see. At the same time I'm risk adverse so I don't want to spend money and end up with nothing if recutting goes wrong.

Anyways, in the meantime, I need help with setting suggestions. How would you set chocoberry if it was yours? Inspire me!:pray:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I so hope you have it cut into an OEC (AVR, my preference)!

I am close to buying a light brown stone, so I feel a little weird keeping my setting plans a secret, but let's just say I love rose gold and platinum for a setting for a yummy brown diamond!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the call to recut to an OEC/AVR if you can - that would be AMAZING :love: And also hells yes to rose gold and platinum for a brown diamond :love: if it works on your skin tone obviously.
For the setting, what sort of ring are you after? An alternative e-ring, a RHR, a honking showstopper?
I can't remember all the rings you have currently so could you post a lineup - like do you want something that fits in or one that is completely different?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I so hope you have it cut into an OEC (AVR, my preference)!

I am close to buying a light brown stone, so I feel a little weird keeping my setting plans a secret, but let's just say I love rose gold and platinum for a setting for a yummy brown diamond!
My hesitation for recutting to an AVR is that the cost would be about 1/3 of what I paid for the stone.

One thing I found interesting is that the rose gold seems to make the stone look yellower and browner in contrast. I would, though, do the prongs or bezel in rose gold bc it disappears more into the stone. But the balance of the ring I think i would opt for platinum or WG.

We have different styles, @diamondseeker2006 and different finger sizes (9+), so perhaps imagine making yourself a big old thumb ring or big toe ring :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the call to recut to an OEC/AVR if you can - that would be AMAZING :love: And also hells yes to rose gold and platinum for a brown diamond :love: if it works on your skin tone obviously.
For the setting, what sort of ring are you after? An alternative e-ring, a RHR, a honking showstopper?
I can't remember all the rings you have currently so could you post a lineup - like do you want something that fits in or one that is completely different?
I had an idea in my head. But, I get redundant easily - like if I like a shirt I buy a few different colors. Had I not stumbled upon this forum I would not have had the privilege of broadening my exposure to all types of jewelry. I'd rather see what you would do if this were your stone. I usually have strong first impressions of things so I'm hoping that a gut punch of love or hate or hmmm I like something about that... will get my brain going!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had an idea in my head. But, I get redundant easily - like if I like a shirt I buy a few different colors. Had I not stumbled upon this forum I would not have had the privilege of broadening my exposure to all types of jewelry. I'd rather see what you would do if this were your stone. I usually have strong first impressions of things so I'm hoping that a gut punch of love or hate or hmmm I like something about that... will get my brain going!
LOL well if it were mine I would recut to an OEC and put it in a platinum head CVB Dahlia, VC Adriana or EW Grace os I'm a sucker for a plain solitaire with a little swagger. I'd probably do that even if I didn't get it recut to an OEC. I love how brown diamonds look with white metals.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine isn't going to be an extra e-ring. I plan to do a CVB halo of some kind. Would also do bezel or prongs in rose but halo would be white metal for contrast.

Your e-rings are solitaires, so I hope you venture out and do something different for this one! Do you see any ring designs that you like? I think a halo of some kind would give you nice finger coverage!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like some of CVB's designs. I'm just hesitant to go CVB bc I see a lot of second hand CVB rings listed not too long after they are acquired and I don't know why. For the price points and intricacy of design I'd think that interested parties would hang on to their CVB's forever!

Then again, I could pursue that preloved Dahlia on LT...

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BUY THE DAHLIA! BUY THE DAHLIA!

(I'm sorry - did I say that out loud?)

I know it's probably not what you're looking for, but....DAYUM! It's a gorgeous setting!

I'm not a huge fan of CVB e-ring styles in general - for my taste they can be a little busy - but that one is just too delicious! (and I LOVE her bands) I have an unset 7.7mm stone, and every day I wonder if there was some way I could get that stone into that setting. I've decided, however, that I'll just have to get a new stone!

And Pinto - the color of your stone....oh man....I LOVE the browns! So jealous of you and DS and your new projects!

:loopy:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto is it possible it needs yellow gold?

I like the idea of a halo to being out the color of your stone. I was considering an antique low color stone recently and I feel like I had pinned some ideas. Let me see.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my holy grail colour! I love , love, love chocoberry!!

I have been looking for a stone this colour for a while
(it's that or an oec or a tlb OEC, but apparently those are super rare )and I was envisioning it in a halo of dark brown or icy white melee. I went to the stuller website and used their ringbuilder to get a (very) rough idea what the effect of champagne or white melee might be...

If you recut to an AVR, wouldn't the perfect light return have a negative impact on the colour? I've seen a lot of steep (ish) fancies and am wondering if it's partly to retain colour....
Obviously I am not an expert, just thinking out loud...

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pintobean! Set your chocolate deliciousness in the CVB Janetta with crisp white diamonds in the collar. It would be amazing.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my holy grail colour! I love , love, love chocoberry!!

I have been looking for a stone this colour for a while
(it's that or an oec or a tlb OEC, but apparently those are super rare )and I was envisioning it in a halo of dark brown or icy white melee. I went to the stuller website and used their ringbuilder to get a (very) rough idea what the effect of champagne or white melee might be...
Would this 2.57 OEC be a TLB? I googled TLB as I didn't know it and it seems like this might be an example of one?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool stone pinto! I havent got a clue what to set it in! I love CVB work so I like the one Queenie
suggested.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely agree I don't think a recut is a good idea. There's a reason you don't see a lot of old cut fancy cut stones. The cut does not retain color well. If the color is perfect to you now I say live with the cut (which is still very nice) and just spend the money on a nice reset.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like some of CVB's designs. I'm just hesitant to go CVB bc I see a lot of second hand CVB rings listed not too long after they are acquired and I don't know why. For the price points and intricacy of design I'd think that interested parties would hang on to their CVB's forever!

Then again, I could pursue that preloved Dahlia on LT...

Lol! This has zero to do with the rings and everything to do with the fact that PSers frequently change their minds about what they want! The Dahlia is for sale because the person is upgrading her diamond. I know another new CVB ring is for sale because the person decided the diamond was too big. I have seen that with others as well...moving up in size and realizing it was too much for their lifestyle, and that has been rings by other vendors, too! People decide they want a solitaire instead of a halo and vice versa. I may sell a couple of bands I bought from CVB and SS because I don't think my lower finger is long enough to wear three rings. Caysie is probably making more rings right now than anyone else, although DK makes a lot, too. So that's why you see a few for sale. My CVB sapphire ring and my antique asscher ring are hopefully heirloom, forever pieces. There would have to be a really exceptional reason for me to give those up!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a three stone ring, PB? White side diamonds set in rose gold, maybe?

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about a ring like waity-katie's ring?
image_3393.jpg

Or you could increase the melee size and make it more of a cluster. It might even look nice with rose cut diamonds. You have the advantage of having a larger finger size which means you can wear larger rings.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So check it! I see that JA is having a sale and I spot this scalloped halo - design I've been considering for chocoberry.
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...e-gold-floral-halo-engagement-ring-item-53439

Img.Tmb_90X70.jpg

I note that the description states that the halo fits 0.5-1.5. Cool - it's got some spandex built into the halo!:drool:

I contact A rep through chat and I'm told that JA doesn't customize settings (when I ask if they can modify this setting to accommodate my 2.59 ct) for outside stones.:wall: Now I know!

I've considered a scalloped halo. I'm also considering tapered baguettes to the left and right of center as side stones. IDK... :confused:

Keep the suggestions rolling! I mean, I never liked Art Deco rings until I met Stewie! Tastes change! :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, that is a bargain price on that setting! But sadly, many stones need the setting custom made unless they are a very standard size stone like 1 ct, etc.

That setting easily can be custom made. It would probably be a step up in quality, too.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would this 2.57 OEC be a TLB? I googled TLB as I didn't know it and it seems like this might be an example of one?

Thanks, foxinsox!! I find the modifiers super difficult on brown-ish colours. That one has (as far as I can see from the pics) a muddy undertone... Talked about this with the usual OEC suspects and they agreed to keep looking for me

So check it! I see that JA is having a sale and I spot this scalloped halo - design I've been considering for chocoberry.
https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/e...e-gold-floral-halo-engagement-ring-item-53439

Img.Tmb_90X70.jpg

I've considered a scalloped halo. I'm also considering tapered baguettes to the left and right of center as side stones. IDK... :confused:

Keep the suggestions rolling! I mean, I never liked Art Deco rings until I met Stewie! Tastes change! :lol:

This is the setting I looked at, it has a scalloped halo. Stuller sais on the site that it goes up to 8mm, but I have seen the ssetting on preloved for a 9mm stone a while ago...

https://www.stuller.com/products/build/121997/3680730/?groupId=113503#/mounting-options

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
please please don't recut to the more normal ideal cut standards like 40.8/34.x.
Leave the crown and just reduce the pavilion to 40.6 79%-80% lowers if you do have it recut.

40.5 would be slightly better as long as the all stay above 40.4 this would require more precision cutting.
40.6 is a safer target.

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, foxinsox!! I find the modifiers super difficult on brown-ish colours. That one has (as far as I can see from the pics) a muddy undertone... Talked about this with the usual OEC suspects and they agreed to keep looking for me
Ooh when you find the right one, please post! It sounds like it would be a really beautiful, different stone. I wasn't sure about the tones in the picture - the photo looks like it may have been lightened or modified somehow

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto, you have to get Butterfly17/Kayla's dahlia that is for sale in preloved! It would be perfect for you!!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto, you have to get Butterfly17/Kayla's dahlia that is for sale in preloved! It would be perfect for you!!!!
IDK - I don't like RG against my skin if it was all plat it would be great. Also, she had surprise stones in the shank too and I'm a size 9+
And I think she's got a much smaller finger size so to work around all these variables I bet I'd be close to paying for a new dahlia lololol!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh bummer, I thought you liked the RG since the ring was already in that color. I think it looks lovely against your skin, but I totally get it. I would buy it too and change up my setting if it were yellow or platinum. I think the surprise stone is under the basket.

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
That is very niiiiiice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results