shape
carat
color
clarity

The awesome thing Southwest did for me last night!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the long post, but given all the bad stuff we read about the airlines I want to share something awesome that Southwest did last night!

A little background: two of my best friends (we’ll call them K and S) and I, back in January, planned a girls’ weekend in Vegas. Since then A LOT has happened to one of those ladies (K), including her mother being unexpected diagnosed with a variety of severe medical issues, ultimately resulting in her passing away last week. Over the years I’ve known her K has always called her mother her “rock” and her best friend. While she was going though radiation over the past few weeks K would come into the office early and leave mid-day so she could be with mom during her daily treatments. K has also been sleeping at the rehab center, including a night spent on the FLOOR because no one brought a cot in for her. And K has not complained ONE BIT about any of this, she has always said this was her mom and this is just what you do.

Last week K was out of the office due to her mom passing, and with our trip coming up next Thursday, S and I talked and decided we should cancel our plans so we wouldn’t be penalized by the airline or hotel. K had already cancelled another trip she and her husband had planned later in May so we assumed she wouldn’t want to go away next week.

Lesson one: DO NOT ASSUME. EVER.

I went up to the visitation at the funeral home last night and while K and I were talking she gave me a big hug and said the only thing she’s had to look forward to lately is our upcoming trip.

Holy shitoly. :errrr:

So I immediately got on the phone with S who said, OK, let’s see if we can still go.

After driving home two and half hours in heavy rain I immediately logged on to Southwest. We could still get tickets out to Vegas on the same day but they were several hundred dollars more, and there were no seats available on the day we wanted to come back (with the exception of a red eye that would land us in Chicago early on Monday morning). I felt terrible. But my philosophy is if you don’t ask the answer is always no, so I called the Southwest customer service number and explained the whole thing to the nicest guy in the world. He said, OK, I don’t know how this is going to turn out, but let me see what I can do. After being on hold off and on for about two hours he finally came back and said operations had fixed everything.

What did that mean…?

Our original flights were reinstated. I asked how that could be since there were no tickets available on the day we wanted to come back and he said, unlike some airlines (!), Southwest plans to have a few extra seats on every flight “just in case.”

But there was a $1,256 difference in fare.

I of course wasn’t happy about that but I was just going to pay it myself and never say a word to K.

However… SOUTHWEST WAIVED THE FEE. Ate it. $1,256 – POOF!

I was so stunned that I sat there with my jaw open for a minute. You try something like this with one of the “other” airlines and they not only charge you $1,256 but then they drag you off the plan and take your baby stroller! (I kid, I kid!)

Amazing.

He said that K had been through a lot and I sounded like a great friend and they were just happy to get us back on track to have a nice weekend away. I offered details of K’s mom’s obituary on the funeral home’s website, etc., and the customer service agent said that wasn’t necessary, he believed I was absolutely telling the truth.

Double amazing.

Of course I asked to be put through to his supervisor and had a chat with him, and I am going to write a letter to Southwest, but I just wanted to share his because I am so, frankly, stunned and incredibly happy about how it turned out. Not just the money, but the fact that we can get K away for a few days after having spent the past three solid months caring for her mom.

No don’t everybody go calling up and trying to change your flights for free by saying they did it for Dee! :cheeky: But seriously, from now on, I have every reason in the world to fly Southwest over the other airlines. And I fly A LOT.

LUV YA Southwest!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee!!! I am so happy for you and your friend and thank you for sharing this. Couldn't happen to sweeter nicer people and I love when things work out for such amazing people! I don't fly but I will be recommending Southwest to everyone I know who does fly. Yay for them doing the right thing!!! And I am so sorry for your friend's loss. I hope you all have a wonderful getaway!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is great Dee! I am glad you will be able to go on the trip with your friends and help K through this trying time. I fly Southwest mostly and have always had good experiences.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful story and outcome! There is a little BS though, it's still overselling. ALL airlines do it and will continue to do it. It's not profitable to to fly planes with empty seats. I'm not trying to be a buzz-kill, you really got a great deal! Condolences to your friend. I hope you girls have a fabulous time! (Be sure to check in early!)

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
What an uplifting story. So happy for you and your friends :) Thank you so much for posting.There are amazingly kind and understanding people in the world and I love when someone shines a light on them. Great customer service is also often overlooked or not reported on. It's nice that you took the time to tell the tale.

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is really cool! Good things happen to those who put good energy out into the world--I truly believe that. And you put out your fair share of good vibes, D!!!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
That is so nice, and I hope y'all have a really good time on your getaway!! It is great to hear a positive customer service story, sometimes they seem to be quite a rarity :appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
holey moley! It is so NICE to hear a good story every once in awhile. I have heard of nothing but good things about Southwest. However as I live in the southeast, rarely if ever get to fly on that airline.

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What great customer service!! Sorry for your friend's loss but I'm so glad you reached someone with compassion and were able to save the get away!!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad everything worked out well for you. Great to hear good things about an airline for a change. Thanks for posting.

I hope you and your friends enjoy your time together!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That made me tear up. That's how desperate I am for proof that good things still happen. Your friends are lucky to have you for a friend.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We love Southwest.

Thank you so much for sharing it's so important IMO that we go out of our way to let the world know when someone does something nice. :appl:

So glad you'll all still be able to go on your getaway, it's so awesome that K still wanted to go and that it was just the thing she needed.

Last edited:

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Southwest IS very nice. I remember some years ago being told at the check-in counter that I booked the wrong dates for my flight to San Diego to attend my friend's wedding. :-o My tickets were for the next week! But somehow, they found me a seat on the flight and I didn't have to pay any fees. Luckily I didn't make the same mistake with my hotel reservation.

Contrast to United where I had an emergency that forced me to stop at San Francisco instead of continuing to Seattle. I informed United customer service at the terminal that I would not be using the Seattle leg and they told me I needed to pay over $500 because 'lots of people do this to get a cheaper ticket'. I was :mad:. At the time I had elite status with United because I was flying cross-country every 2 weeks so I told them to look at my travel patterns and I challenged them to show me a flight to SEA with a stopover at SFO that was cheaper than a flight to SFO. They eventually relented, but I moved my business to Virgin America after that (Southwest didn't fly my routes).

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news Dee. In all fairness I've seen first hand how accommodating airlines and hotels really are to their customers. The problem is those stories never make it out to the public. At the end of the day we are all human and I have seen people bend over backward to help in situations like the one you described. It restores your faith in the goodness of people.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay: I'm glad this worked out for you, and that SW was willing and able to help out. Enjoy your time with your friends!

BTW Southwest's CEO announced this morning that SW will no longer be overbooking flights. They've been my airline of choice for many years- since I flew on business with them almost weekly for a while - and it looks like that's not going to change!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad that it all worked out! (you can add shocked and surprised to that too!)

I'm another one that can ditto that "Never assume" because everyone is different and just because
I/you think one thing, doesnt mean that other person will feel that way.

Have a great time in Vegas! Hit a few jewelry stores/pawn shops and take lots of pictures!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news Dee. In all fairness I've seen first hand how accommodating airlines and hotels really are to their customers. The problem is those stories never make it out to the public. At the end of the day we are all human and I have seen people bend over backward to help in situations like the one you described. It restores your faith in the goodness of people.

Ain't this the truth.

A family member recently had an accident at their out of country vacation home necessitating short travel time for surgery back home. In the confusion he came for his newly rebooked flight...on the wrong day. (midnight so it is confusing...). Not only did West Jet take him home, they rearranged the plane so he could sit comfortably with his huge cast. No headlines were made but these are the times we should hear about it!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I am so glad I clicked on this thread and read your story! SWA is a great airline, your friend is the best daughter, and you are a wonderful friend. Have fun in Vegas!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for sharing this story! She is indeed lucky to have such a wonderful friend and how uplifting that SW took a personal interest in this story and made it happen. Just when you think you are a number to everyone you hear of a story like this and it just makes your day. Have a wonderful trip - I hope she is able to relax and unwind a bit after her devastating loss.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
What an awesome story! You are a great friend and I hope you have a fun weekend away!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is truly an amazing story!!! I'm so sorry for K's loss but I'm so glad that Southwest cared so much and did everything they did to get your trip reinstated. Have an amazing time-you are an amazing friend and K is lucky to have you and S in her support system! Hugs!!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice!! Hopefully we will see more good stories in the future to reward good behavior by the airlines just as airlines are forced to prioritize customer service due to bad publicity.

I had a similar experience with Jet Blue a few weeks ago. They went above and beyond to get me to my parents after a flight cancellation due to weather and then added a travel credit for my inconvenience.

You were being an amazing friend to K when she needed it most and so glad to hear that Southwest wanted to help. Kudos to all involved. Good things do happen to good people.

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a touching story, Dee Jay (I'll confess it made me teary-eyed). So glad SW was willing and able to make this much-needed getaway for K happen at no additional expense; you three obviously share a warm and special bond.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an awesome thing for Southwest did for you and your friends. Big hugs to your friend K; she has been through a lot and I am glad she still wants to go on the trip with you ladies. I hope you all have a nice time.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the nice comments, and sorry for not responding sooner (or individually). K has had a tough row to hoe these past months and I'm just happy to be able to get her away for a few days when she needs it! Thanks again to Southwest for being awesome!!!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I LOVE SOUTHWEST SO MUCH! I wrote them an email because of how kind a captain was to me on one of my flights, and they published it in Southwest Magazine!

I had to weirdly crop it, so ignore the bizarre formatting.

I used to be an INCREDIBLY fearful flyer. To the point that I refused to fly until I was given prescription drugs. And would cry for days before flights, get physically ill, and always talk to the captain before every flight. This captain went out of his way to hand-write me a card and have a flight attendant deliver it to me at the end of the flight. I was so touched that I've kept it for the last 1.5 years, and don't travel without it in my bag!

11194442_10103135664629774_7462041274170286542_o.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really happy to see examples of businesses doing the right thing by their customers, I think old fashioned good service is a forgotten art form with some of these businesses including some airlines, so it's great when we hear of ones that do the right thing.

I hope you and your friends have a wonderful time!!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awesome Dee Jay. All carriers are definitely not that kind, even under more personal circumstances to the person calling. My daughter flys Southwest every six weeks and has never had a problem. I am so glad it worked out and you all have a wonderful time.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovedogs: Thank you for sharing that wonderful experience with us!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results