shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluating diamond for engagement ring (ASET & HA images included)

fireblast713

Rough_Rock
Hey All,
I'm fairly new to the forum but quickly becoming wrapped up in this world as I try to navigate the murky waters of diamond purchasing. I've read a ton of post regarding ideal cut proportions, ASET images & Hearts and Arrows and I recently found a diamond I liked which I'm hoping is a good value.

I wanted to get some more experienced eyes to look at the specs and pics and give me their input on whether it's a good diamond/good price/good value? I've been looking for a diamond around 1.2 carat or larger (price cap is ~8.5k USD or so for the stone) and have been looking for a smaller depth % to help increase the spread and size of the diamond but would appreciate if you have any advice on what I should be looking for. Future fiancee values a diamond that sparkles/has fire. I did notice the white spot on the table of the ASET image and the one significantly asymmetrical "heart" and I was curious how much this would affect the appearance and fire of the diamond. Much thanks in advance for your help in my search. Love this site by the way!

Diamond Specs:
Size
: 1.33 Carat
Price: $8645 USD
Price Per Carat: $6500 USD
Cut: Ideal
GIA: XXX
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
L/W Ratio: 1.01
Depth %: 59.9%
Table %: 58.0%
Crown Angle: 34.0*
Pavilion Angle: 40.6*
Measurements: 7.19 x 7.15 x 4.29mm
HCA Score: 0.6
Fluorescence: None

01-ASET_133small.png 01-Front_133small.jpg 01-HA_133small.jpg

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS! The diamond you have posted is more of a 60/60 type of diamond - meaning that the table and depth fall more into the 60/60 range. These stones favor brightness over fire so that may not be what you are looking for if she wants fire.

I would recommend that you stay in these ranges for a good balance of brightness and fire:

Depth no more than 62.2
Table 54-58
Crown angle 34-35
Pavilion 40.6-40.9

The H color will give you a nice, white stone and you could easily drop down to VS2 in clarity. I'm thinking that in your size range you might have to increase your budget a bit or are you willing to go down in a size some?

fireblast713

Rough_Rock
Hey thanks for the quick response and warm welcome. I appreciate the input on how the dimensions will affect the optical properties. I had no idea 60/60's lost out on some of the fire so that's good to know. I'm willing to go down in size for a nicer stone but I thought a shallower depth % would yield and overall larger stone which really limited my options. For $8500 what carat weight stone would I realistically be looking at that fits the characteristics you're mentioning if 1.2 is too much to expect?

The H color will give you a nice, white stone and you could easily drop down to VS2 in clarity. I'm thinking that in your size range you might have to increase your budget a bit or are you willing to go down in a size some?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This diamond is a super ideal cut stone for comparison if you are interested in such a stone
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3824315.htm?source=pricescope

Don't know if a trade in policy is important to you for possible future upgrades, but check any vendor's policies on upgrades - they vary.

fireblast713

Rough_Rock
Bump... Could anyone provide some insight on the ASET or HA images perhaps?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

fireblast713

Rough_Rock
Hey, thanks for the input and linking to that other thread, just read through it and it was super helpful! Any thoughts about whether this is a good value? Trying to decide if I should hold out for a better stone or if I should buy this one. Could anyone perhaps give some input regarding that? Greatly appreciate all the help guys :)

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does seem like a good value but only if that area won't bother you. The person in the thread that flyingpig linked is really struggling with the "mind clean" issue of that area in his stone and might return it based on that, although he will have to go down in color and clarity to get a super ideal stone. Nothing wrong with either choice but everyone's tolerances are different!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size: 1.33 Carat
Price: $8645 USD
Price Per Carat: $6500 USD

It is well priced. The stone has a crazy spread.

A super ideal will cost you another 2k or 23%.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3586203.htm

It is always a difficult question to answer. You are almost exactly in the same situation as the OP in the other thread. But in this case, I am leaning towards "keep searching". Why? Finding a well cut 1.3c H VS is significantly easier than finding a well cut 2.0c+ colorless VS.

fireblast713

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the perspective. I was leaning towards "keep searching" also. What do you think about this one in terms of value at $8196 1.4 ctw I VVS2 Excellent Cut:

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/9054324/1-40-carat-round-diamond-i-color-vvs2-clarity
Depth: 62.2%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 36* - kinda high (don't know how this matches with the pavilion angle, it's outside the "normal" reference range people give to search for)
Pavilion: 40.6*
HCA: 1.8 (E,E,VG,VG)

I see the hearts and Vs being a little off to my untrained eyes, but to me the ASET looks good? How would this stone compare to the previous? My gf is a little unsure about the I color as well and wanted to be ideally above H. Any opinions/perspectives would be great.

Last edited:

fireblast713

Rough_Rock
I ended up picking it up, I'll let you guys know how it looks and I'll post some pics when I get it!

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey, I think it looks great. It's an FIC, geared more towards fire than brightness but should still be bright. The LGF is around 80 which is where you want it with a higher crown angle to avoid over obstruction. Your 40.6 pavilion is complementary to the 36 crown. The smallish table is also a bonus. As far as FICs go you did very well.

The ASET is computer generated and although won't show the details of a real one, it is very reassuring. The picture looks promising too. I hope you guys love it and please let us know.

fireblast713

Rough_Rock
I actually ended up getting the 1.33 cwt diamond I posted in my initial post. Any thoughts on that one? Hopefully it'll be just as good as the 1.4 cwt that you commented on! :) Any opinion on if the 1.33 cwt is a good value for the price?

Hey, I think it looks great. It's an FIC, geared more towards fire than brightness but should still be bright. The LGF is around 80 which is where you want it with a higher crown angle to avoid over obstruction. Your 40.6 pavilion is complementary to the 36 crown. The smallish table is also a bonus. As far as FICs go you did very well.

The ASET is computer generated and although won't show the details of a real one, it is very reassuring. The picture looks promising too. I hope you guys love it and please let us know.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a quick search again. 1.3+ H+ VS1+.
Very good stone and value. Good job.

fireblast713

Rough_Rock
Awesome, I'm really excited to see it after doing so much research on it. Thanks again for all your help and input. That other thread you mentioned was very helpful in making my decision. I don't think I'll mind as much as the other poster w/ the 2+ cwt diamond that it isn't mind clean. Hopefully it sparkles really nicely :)

I did a quick search again. 1.3+ H+ VS1+.
Very good stone and value. Good job.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Original diamond looks great too. It is a small area and the vast majority of the diamond looks very nicely cut. Congratulations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results