shape
carat
color
clarity

Are Trump businesses (and Trump) profiting from the presidency?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Earlier you stated - "So we do work so we can pay our own way rather than demanding someone else do it for us. It is called being a self sufficient adult."
She has every right to choose her path, but where is the personal responsibility? Staying in NY goes way beyond what is the usual and customary expense of protecting the first lady and children, if she chooses for what ever reason to go a different path, the first family should cover the additional expenses.

I 100% agree with you. I feel Barron was entitled to finish out the year.

But it will quickly lose my support if over the summer she does not make arrangements to get him into a school in DC

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Did you see where Obama was paid $400,000 for a one hour talk at Cantor Fitzgerald.
During the time he was President? The question I posed was regarding Trump and his family during Trump's tenure as president, not after. I think it has been stated earlier in this thread that all presidents profit from being president after their terms. Although I did not specifically say that, I thought it was implied.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
For goodness sake Ruby, go be "done" please.

Again, you are still confused. I was done discussing that topic with you.

And you replied on this one so I am responding.

I would never permanently block you, Elliot

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not confused at all. Your writing is often unclear and dramatic.

However if you are confused about my stance on academic scholarships, that was sarcasm.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, but Trump influences the agenda. You, yourself said "Hope he does simplify the tax code". And did you see the announcement about the simplification of the tax code? So it's either he has influence or he doesn't. Pick one.

tc, not sure why you are so stuck on this, but, of course, the President has influence when it comes to laws. He even has veto power.
But there are three branches, as you know, and Trump certainly doesn't run the whole show. There have already been plenty of examples of that--health care law, vetting foreign visitors.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
During the time he was President? The question I posed was regarding Trump and his family during Trump's tenure as president, not after. I think it has been stated earlier in this thread that all presidents profit from being president after their terms. Although I did not specifically say that, I thought it was implied.
I believe he is making that as a private citizen. Not as president.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I believe he is making that as a private citizen. Not as president.
Yeah, I know that.. that response to Ruby was a bit rhetorical. :rodent:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
;-)

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 12.11.03 PM.png

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
tc, not sure why you are so stuck on this, but, of course, the President has influence when it comes to laws. He even has veto power.
But there are three branches, as you know, and Trump certainly doesn't run the whole show. There have already been plenty of examples of that--health care law, vetting foreign visitors.

Good, I'm glad we are starting with the same set of facts: Trump has influence when it comes to laws.

My point was (and I thought the point of this thread) is that because Trump has not released his taxes, we don't know if the laws he is backing will systematically benefit him. How would the other branches of government prevent him from favoring tax policies that benefit him and his businesses? How would they (and we) even know when no one has seen his tax returns?

And I don't buy the argument that he wouldn't do that: We already know that he and his businesses have taken advantage of him being president -- doubling the membership fee at Mar-a-Lago. I don't think they would do that if he had lost. Then that article from the State Department declaring Mar-a-Lago the "Winter White House" :roll:

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I'm not confused at all. Your writing is often unclear and dramatic.

However if you are confused about my stance on academic scholarships, that was sarcasm.

Well, I will give you credit for that. Your sarcastic nature comes through loud and clear here.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

I realize that. But should your core beliefs change. He was so against Wall Street, now he is taking big fees from them.

Just because you can profit after the fact does not mean you have to especially if it so against what you have been preaching about for the last 8 years.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Like I said, if policies are good for our country, then I have no problem with Trump, as a fellow American, benefitting, also.
As far as the taxes, I think he should have released them. Although, I do understand why he doesn't, even if he has nothing to hide. Look what happened with Romney. He was on the up and up, but the spin cost him.
Trump may have things to hide, not saying he doesn't; I don't know. But even if he were totally in the right, the spin would damage him just as it did Romney. He can't win.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Trump may have things to hide, not saying he doesn't; I don't know. But even if he were totally in the right, the spin would damage him just as it did Romney. He can't win.

People already assume he doesn't pay much, if anything at all. He bragged about it in a debate ("That makes me smart...") and his supporters ate it up.

Whatever's in there is worse than that.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I will give you credit for that. Your sarcastic nature comes through loud and clear here.
Then you shouldn't be confused about it ::)

Siamese, Trump won't release his tax returns after all?! SHOCKER.

(Also sarcasm).

E B

Ideal_Rock
Then you shouldn't be confused about it ::)

Siamese, Trump won't release his tax returns after all?! SHOCKER.

(Also sarcasm).

He was lying about them being under audit?!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I realize that. But should your core beliefs change. He was so against Wall Street, now he is taking big fees from them.

Just because you can profit after the fact does not mean you have to especially if it so against what you have been preaching about for the last 8 years.

Ruby, sometimes I just don't even know where to begin with my response. I am often reminded of the line from one of my absolute all time favorite movies, The Princess Bride, "Have you ever heard of Plato? Aristotle? Socrates? Morons!" I don't even think this quote is applicable or makes sense at all in this context, however, perhaps that is exactly what makes it appropriate. I have said it before, but I will say it again, your debate style often simply bewilders me. Okay, so while eating choc. chip cookie dough, I realized I actually was thinking more of this part:
Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait til I get going! Now, where was I?
Man in Black: Australia.
Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're just stalling now.
Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

I am so menopausal I can't remember a thing! :)

Well, Trump was against Wall Street while campaigning and now Wall Street seems to have moved into the WH.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope he does simplify the tax code. Just because something benefits Trump business doesn't mean it is bad for the economy.

I do not want to imply that you are lacking intelligence, Anna. A tactful way to phrase my objection to your reasoning might be to say that you have clearly not thought this matter through. (In fact, I often hear other people echo your sentiments. I wonder why they, also, have failed to see the obvious.) Simplifying the tax code would be bad for the economy. Think of how many CPAs would lose revenue or lose their jobs entirely if everyone could figure out the tax code! A better move would be to make the tax code more difficult. That would cause the need for more CPAs. See, the other way (the simplifying) causes unemployment of CPAs. Unemployment is bad. We need to stimulate the economy. Wealth is productivity. If you need a tip from time to time, feel free to ask me.

Deb :wavey:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Deb, are you a CPA? I'm sure my CPA sister-in-law and my CPA niece would agree with you. They have done quite well.
:lol::lol::lol:

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Ruby, sometimes I just don't even know where to begin with my response. I am often reminded of the line from one of my absolute all time favorite movies, The Princess Bride, "Have you ever heard of Plato? Aristotle? Socrates? Morons!" I don't even think this quote is applicable or makes sense at all in this context, however, perhaps that is exactly what makes it appropriate. I have said it before, but I will say it again, your debate style often simply bewilders me. Okay, so while eating choc. chip cookie dough, I realized I actually was thinking more of this part:
Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait til I get going! Now, where was I?
Man in Black: Australia.
Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're just stalling now.
Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

I am so menopausal I can't remember a thing! :)

Well, Trump was against Wall Street while campaigning and now Wall Street seems to have moved into the WH.

"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit" -- W.C. Fields

E B

Ideal_Rock
Did you guys hear Steve Mnunchin say Trump has given "more financial information than anyone else..." as the reason for his not releasing his tax returns? Almost his exact words. :lol:

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Did you guys hear Steve Mnunchin say Trump has given "more financial information than anyone else..." as the reason for his not releasing his tax returns? Almost his exact words. :lol:
Ha ! Yeah, I posted it somewhere with a link to the Wapo article.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, are you a CPA? I'm sure my CPA sister-in-law and my CPA niece would agree with you. They have done quite well.
:lol::lol::lol:

Alas, no. In fact, I haven't done my own taxes in 40 years (the length of my marriage) and before that I always got to do "the short form". When I married my husband he already had his MBA. He lists my occupation on our taxes as "housewife". I should take exception to that, but I figure with that description no one is going to call me into an audit! Not that it would do them the least bit of good if they did.

Deb
:saint:

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Oh shoot, I missed it! Sorry about that! :twirl:
No worries..it's easy for all this DJT stuff to get lost in all of this DJT stuff. It just never stops.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No not 20% But not the present 1% either.

I would like to see it back to a healthy 4, 5 or 6%.
Slowly moving up towards 5% should be OK.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results