shape
carat
color
clarity

Today I purchased my engagement ring! Let me know how I did!

goodfight10

Rough_Rock
Hi.

I have been researching based off of this forum and today I finally signed up to talk about my purchase because, quite frankly, I have to tell someone! After quite a bit of shopping (and hiding) I made the purchase today. I am very very happy with this diamond and I can't wait to have it set and give it to my unexpected girlfriend. These are the stats of the diamond, let me know how it checks out with you guys.
  • DATE OF ISSUE

Dec. 21, 2009
DIAMOND GRADING REPORT
ROUND BRILLIANT

Measurements
7.37 - 7.41 x 4.50 mm

Carat Weight
1.51 carat

Color Grade
H

Clarity Grade
VS1

Cut Grade
Excellent

Depth
60.9 %
Table
60 %
Crown Angle
35.0°
Crown Height
14.0%
Pavilion Angle
40.8°
Pavilion Depth
43.0%
Star Length
55%
Lower Half
80%

Girdle
Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%

Culet
None

FINISH

Polish
Excellent

Symmetry
Excellent

Fluorescence
Faint

CLARITY CHARACTERISTICS

Clarity Characteristics
Cloud, Feather, Natural

COMMENTS
Additional clouds are not shown.

I did not know what an HCA grade was until about 5 minutes ago. However, after using the online HCA tool it scored a 1.3

All said and done I paid 9800 for the loose diamond. Next, I will be getting it set. I really love the look of the Tiffany style, 6 prong setting with a platinum band.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Anthony

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2009??...GIA lab graded the stone?

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, congratulations on your purchase! It's exciting to have that part of the process done.

I want ask why you're asking for feedback now - after the purchase - as you might be opening a can of worms. You seem thrilled with your purchase and in the end that's what matters. Are you ready for people to come back with answers like "you would have been better off going to 'X' color or 'Y' clarity and getting a better carat/angle/whatever" instead? Are you willing to return what you already bought?

I just got done with a ton of diamond research myself and, during that process, read numerous threads with people asking questions like yours and getting responses along the lines of "if you really wanted our opinion then you should have asked before you bought. We could have helped you find a better stone or saved money." While their responses were well intended and justified, they might have stung a bit. I wonder if what you're really looking for is a pat on the back, only you may get critiques instead. If you're ok with that, great!, but if not, perhaps reset your expectations; then you'll be ready for questions and constructive comments and pleasantly happy if someone says you chose a great diamond :appl:

Either way, congratulations on your upcoming engagement. I'm sure she'll be thrilled with whatever diamond you end up with as it's obvious you've put a lot of time and research in to choosing something you'll both be very happy with!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILikeShiny, I agree.
Once, I posted a ring here instead of on Show Me THe Bling and the result wasn't pretty. I was in love with my ring, but after all the comments, I was not quite as happy!

goodfight10

Rough_Rock
2009??...GIA lab graded the stone?
m

Yes, graded by GIA.

First off, congratulations on your purchase! It's exciting to have that part of the process done.

I want ask why you're asking for feedback now - after the purchase - as you might be opening a can of worms. You seem thrilled with your purchase and in the end that's what matters. Are you ready for people to come back with answers like "you would have been better off going to 'X' color or 'Y' clarity and getting a better carat/angle/whatever" instead? Are you willing to return what you already bought?

I just got done with a ton of diamond research myself and, during that process, read numerous threads with people asking questions like yours and getting responses along the lines of "if you really wanted our opinion then you should have asked before you bought. We could have helped you find a better stone or saved money." While their responses were well intended and justified, they might have stung a bit. I wonder if what you're really looking for is a pat on the back, only you may get critiques instead. If you're ok with that, great!, but if not, perhaps reset your expectations; then you'll be ready for questions and constructive comments and pleasantly happy if someone says you chose a great diamond :appl:

Either way, congratulations on your upcoming engagement. I'm sure she'll be thrilled with whatever diamond you end up with as it's obvious you've put a lot of time and research in to choosing something you'll both be very happy with!

Hey. Thank you for the reply. I am very happy with it and would not be willing to return it. I do know there are better options out there but I feel out of all the ones I looked at, in the 1.5ct range, this was one of the best options. Not to mention when I had this one and another side by side, this one looked much better to me before I read the GIA paper. I guess I should have re worded my post. I was also looking for suggestions about settings, as I've only done most of my research on the diamond. Thanks!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very happy with it and would not be willing to return it. I do know there are better options out there but I feel out of all the ones I looked at, in the 1.5ct range, this was one of the best options. Not to mention when I had this one and another side by side, this one looked much better to me before I read the GIA paper. I guess I should have re worded my post. I was also looking for suggestions about settings, as I've only done most of my research on the diamond. Thanks!

Great! Now we have a better idea of what you want kudos on and what you want help with :)

For the setting, you've got several things to consider - types of prongs (rounded or pointed), diameter of the band, pave or no pave, tapered or not... If you can provide more of those details I'm sure people here can help you find what you're looking for!

goodfight10

Rough_Rock
Great! Now we have a better idea of what you want kudos on and what you want help with :)

For the setting, you've got several things to consider - types of prongs (rounded or pointed), diameter of the band, pave or no pave, tapered or not... If you can provide more of those details I'm sure people here can help you find what you're looking for!

Thanks! I did not know there were different prongs, and Im not sure I know the difference between paved or tapered, lol.

BUT, I do know I like the simple look of no diamonds on the band, a 6 prong setting, and a knife edge band (I believe thats the description). Also, how does one decide the diameter of the band? Finger size or is it mostly preference?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

Are you looking for something like this?

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ld-presentation-solitaire-six-prong-item-7990

With regard to width, I would say it's down to the size if your fiancées finger. I have rather large fingers, so prefer a wider band than most people here seem to. Also you need to consider what other rings will be worn with it, wedding band, eternity band, to decide on what width will give your fiancée the look she wants.

goodfight10

Rough_Rock
Thank you!
Yes, something like that.

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/show-me-your-1-5-round-brilliant-erings/

The second post in this thread is pretty much the exact setting I want, not sure if it is what you posted.

Thats my next problem, I have been trying to figure out my girlfriends ring size without her finding out, I can't find where she puts her ring when she gets home, haha. She has no idea its coming, we spoke about it previously about both liking the round diamond with a plain band, but thats about it. Im pretty sure she doesn't know the extent of the details and will be very happy with my choice.

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I did not know there were different prongs, and Im not sure I know the difference between paved or tapered, lol.

BUT, I do know I like the simple look of no diamonds on the band, a 6 prong setting, and a knife edge band (I believe thats the description). Also, how does one decide the diameter of the band? Finger size or is it mostly preference?
If you like the Tiffany setting - The Tiffany has tab prongs. If you look closely at pictures of it and compare it to others like the CVB Jovyn which has claw prongs you will see the difference. If you don't want diamonds in the band then you don't want pave. Taper means the band either narrows as it goes toward the diamond or gets narrower as it goes away from the diamond. The Tiffany setting has a taper getting slightly narrower as it goes away from the diamond.

It's all a matter of personal preference. My ring has "heart" prongs although from a distance they more resemble a thicker claw. I don't like taper & I don't love tab prongs. I'm not sure how you can secretly find out your future fiancé's preference but if you can I definitely would!!! I also wanted a thinner band so I could stack my Tiffany novo between it & my future wedding ring. I have small hands & fingers. Thicker bands or thicker stacks of bands are uncomfortable on me and platinum can be "weighty" on the hand when it's thicker which I don't like. So... it really is a matter of personal taste. My best friend would never ever have chosen what I did - her ring size is also almost double mine which has a lot to do with why.

goodfight10

Rough_Rock
If you like the Tiffany setting - The Tiffany has tab prongs. If you look closely at pictures of it and compare it to others like the CVB Jovyn which has claw prongs you will see the difference. If you don't want diamonds in the band then you don't want pave. Taper means the band either narrows as it goes toward the diamond or gets narrower as it goes away from the diamond. The Tiffany setting has a taper getting slightly narrower as it goes away from the diamond.

It's all a matter of personal preference. My ring has "heart" prongs although from a distance they more resemble a thicker claw. I don't like taper & I don't love tab prongs. I'm not sure how you can secretly find out your future fiancé's preference but if you can I definitely would!!! I also wanted a thinner band so I could stack my Tiffany novo between it & my future wedding ring. I have small hands & fingers. Thicker bands or thicker stacks of bands are uncomfortable on me and platinum can be "weighty" on the hand when it's thicker which I don't like. So... it really is a matter of personal taste. My best friend would never ever have chosen what I did - her ring size is also almost double mine which has a lot to do with why.

Awesome! Thanks for the detailed response!

Do brands of the bands matter as much ? Are there certain brands to stay away from or to use?

Also, is it true I can not purchase a Tiffany setting without a diamond?

I also love the look of a rose gold band, but after reading some articles it seems that platinum is the choice for durability and craftsmanship??

Sorry for all the questions, a 25 y/o male trying to learn the diamond talk!

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Awesome! Thanks for the detailed response!

Do brands of the bands matter as much ? Are there certain brands to stay away from or to use?

Also, is it true I can not purchase a Tiffany setting without a diamond?

I also love the look of a rose gold band, but after reading some articles it seems that platinum is the choice for durability and craftsmanship??

Sorry for all the questions, a 25 y/o male trying to learn the diamond talk!
Tiffany will not sell you just the setting. The most similar setting to it I believe is the Vatche U113. There may be a dealer in your area.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The James Allen setting is only $622 in platinum and has 2mm knife edge band. That style allows other rings to sit flush with it. I don't have any experience of 'designer' settings, but as with anything that has a 'name', you're paying for the cache of the brand. I also prefer platinum for it's look and durability, but in order not to cause wear on other rings, they should be platinum too. :)

goodfight10

Rough_Rock
The James Allen setting is only $622 in platinum and has 2mm knife edge band. That style allows other rings to sit flush with it. I don't have any experience of 'designer' settings, but as with anything that has a 'name', you're paying for the cache of the brand. I also prefer platinum for it's look and durability, but in order not to cause wear on other rings, they should be platinum too. :)

Awesome, thanks!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!

I know that you stated that you like the Tiffany style solitaire, but what does your intended like? She is the one that will be wearing this ring. I know that I do not care for a plain solitaire for myself and would have been been disappointed if that is what I received.

Has she ever mentioned rings that she likes? Could you enlist one of her friends to bring up ring style questions with her? A friend could easily bring up the topic without arousing any suspicions if you are trying to keep it a surprise.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or does she have Pinterest? She may have several rings pinned and folks here could help distill style themes.

goodfight10

Rough_Rock
Or does she have Pinterest? She may have several rings pinned and folks here could help distill style themes.

I know for a fact she likes the look of a simple plain band with a nice clean diamond. Thank you though !

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OP, I wanted to add that the CVB Jovyn can be customized with any type of prongs you'd like. Caysie did mine with "petite tab" prongs, and I adore it!
CVB Soli Rx Lab Coat.jpg

CVB Soli Stack_collage1.jpg

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love this! Are your stacking bands CVB too?

goodfight10

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the help. Today I ended up going with a setting and band that I think she is really going to love. 6 prong, platinum!

http://imgur.com/a/CQVWL

One with the matching wedding band to see what it would look like.

http://imgur.com/a/e1JXp

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats beautiful goodfight! Its not what you talked about but I think its lovely and she probably will too.

blingblingdiamond

Shiny_Rock
Hey Austina,

I am going to purchase a diamond and setting from JA but I couldn't find a plain platinum setting at around $600. Could you please give me the link or maybe the style number? Thanks a lot!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I originally posted that one, they must've been having a special offer because tyty is right, it's $830 now :(

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I like the 6 prong knife edge setting from JA (I own), it is not Tiffany setting. Yes, it's got 6 prongs and knife edge. But the similarity ends there. The line, proportion, thickness, weight.. it is all different. It is not as substantial as Tiffany setting, although still durable (I have not gotten any issue). It is just a knife edge band with a head attached to it.

You may want to consider this instead. https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2426

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results