shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help! Decide between these to stones - Thanks!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, what fabulous diamonds those are! Is this for yourself or for someone else?

If it's for someone else, do you have any ideas of what she loves?

JWW

Rough_Rock
Its for anniversary gift. She will like either. I'm just trying to get something that is a clear upgrade from her original 1.5RB. Looking for presence on hand & def fire and flash. I like Victor's stone because so completely diff than a RB. But I don't know enough about ASET to judge the sparkle + wow factor.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does size matter? I'd have to put the measurements in an application to see face up size. Will this be a replacement for the engagement ring (worn on left hand)?

These are just two totally different looks. One brilliant and flashy and the other more antique style cut.

JWW

Rough_Rock
Yes replacement for engagement ring. What application is that? That would be awesome! Could you do that? Or send me the link to it. Face up is very important to me on this purchase.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we aren't allowed to link the site because it has a forum or something which is against the rules. But I can try to take a picture of it and post it for you. Oddly, I can't get my computer to print the screen. I will tell you, though, that the round face up area is 15% larger than the cushion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, had to take picture of the screen, but I guess you can see them! I will add that both stones can be made larger in appearance by adding a halo, but they will be considerably larger than her current ring. You are a very sweet hubby to get her such a terrific surprise! You are choosing between great stones!

1.jpg 2.jpg

JWW

Rough_Rock
DS,
Thank you so much! This is VERY helpful! How accurate is this? I'm not sure my wife would like the squarish nature of the cushion.
Thanks again!
Jim

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
At that size, I would go for the antique cushion. IMO, round brilliants start to get "too flashy" above 2.2ish carats whereas old (or new old) cuts really just start to look rockin' at that size range.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would vote for the CAC as well... it is a completely different look from the RB but also incredibly striking.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS,
Thank you so much! This is VERY helpful! How accurate is this? I'm not sure my wife would like the squarish nature of the cushion.
Thanks again!
Jim

You're very welcome! Shapes of cushions can vary a lot, so the image in the size comparison is showing the height and width of the stone you are looking at, but not necessarily the exact shape.

I have to say we have members here with 4 and 5+ ct WF ACAs, so I do not personally think a 2.7 is too large for a round brilliant. I have a friend from this forum who has a 4.7 ct ACA and a 5 ct antique style cushion from another vendor. I think it's impossible for us to guess which your wife might rather have, unless you know greater size is her preference. But if she loves her current round, the ACA is a safe bet. On the other hand, many here love antique style diamonds, including myself! A good compromise would be one of Victor's European rounds, but unfortunately, there just is not a thing in the price and size range you are looking at.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am big fan of Old cut diamonds, but from your two options I would pick up the Modern Round Brilliant.
If you eventually decide to go with the Antique cushion I would advice your wife to approve the shape. She is accustomed to wear round diamond, and may be different style will not pleased her. Also, MRB diamonds keep their value in better way, and possible upgrade in the future will be easier.

JWW

Rough_Rock
Eva- What are other sources for Old cut diamonds? I have not seen them offered anywhere that they do an ASET & Idealscope. Thanks!

If I go with the Whiteflash who would you get to set the stone? That is one advantage VC has, I know his work and its a quality well proportioned setting. My wife is very much into symmetry, so I need the proportions to be on point.

Thanks!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
What about Victor's 3.58 K Canera European Round? I know it is coming in at the top of your budget but you will get a discount on the setting with him. Even though it is a K, it faces up white. I have seen it in person. There is a slight yellow tint when viewed from the side. It faces up huge!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the non-MRB just because she already has one. I would probably choose the Canera antique cushion first because she already has a round. I love the cushion shape. But maybe she doesn't prefer a cushion shape. In that case I would go with a Canera European Round. Can you find out?

These are stunning diamonds. I've seen them IRL and they blow your socks off. The K CER that poshmommy mentioned just makes me drool.

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
I am a newbie so I am not offering any advice on quality of these stones. I think if you want a diamond to compliment a girl or a woman, especially a beloved one, you should try imagine how each stone would look on her, from her daily fashion style, personality, workplace etc. If you want a strong presence which gives off a sense of confidence and independence, the big round one will be the one. It is sharp looking. If you think she could use something rather more elegant, soft, sophisticated yet youthful, the cushion one. If you are adding one more ring to her inventory, why not the cushion? She already has a nice RB, she might enjoy something to switch to on a different day with a different mood. Hope this doesn't sound silly I understand some prefers to get the best value but to me the fit and match should be considered. But of course, she will love either one!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's planning on this being a new engagement ring, so I doubt she'd wear her old one unless she resets into a pendant. And in that case, the round brilliant pendant and an ideal round e-ring would look great together.

I love Victor's antique cuts and I have a newly cut antique stone myself. But I think if she is used to a higher color like G, a jump to K is too much. I'd go as low as I-J, though in the antique style stones. I think he'd have to have Canera European Round custom cut and go for the upper 2 ct range if he decides to go with the European round. I'd rather have a 2.7 H-I over a 3.5 K if my current stone is 1.5 cts. It was an adjustment for me to go from 1.6 to 2.3! lol! But all this is speculation because it's really impossible to know what she'd pick!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A Canera European Round would be fabulous as well! If your wife is not particularly color sensitive, I think that 3.58 K CER would be amazing. If she prefers a higher color, I would still vote for the 2.47 E CAC. Regardless of what you choose, I would definitely have Victor set it. His craftsmanship is second to none and he has an exquisite eye for proportion, and you mentioned that your wife values symmetry. So at least that part is an easy choice!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JWW, I just told you what choice I would make if I have to choose between the too of your options.
If depends of me, here is what I would pick up:
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/xpaamk-2.014-e-vs1-ideal-estimated-old-european-cut This diamond is simply gorgeous in my eyes!

JWW, if you can swing it, I think this one Eva posted is the perfect compromise. This has it all.
1. It's round so it faces up bigger than a Canera Antique Cushion. Presence. Check.
2. It's an E. High Color. Check.
3. I looked at your price range for the other two you posted, and this is a little higher. I would even call and talk to Victor. (And maybe see if you can bargain a little if that makes you feel better...) ;-) And since you would likely be working with him on the setting, you will get a discount on that.
4. Back to, it's a round, in case your wife does not prefer a cushion shape. If she likes the cushion shape, I would be all over that CAC you chose at the beginning, the 2.47 I think.

Please come back and tell us what you end up choosing... :clap:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you dropping the hunt for an EC? As an EC lover, I would prefer an antique cushion over a round any day all day long, so please make sure this is something that she would love as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results