shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting appropriate for stone?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI DS, AZ was also telling me the complications about sizing a tri-wire. Maybe I should make a section not tri? Maybe a small piece at the bottom? Funny that you were considering it too. Have you decided? I want to have the piece finished before the year is over. that would be nice.

Caysie can make the shank cast with a tri-wire appearance and it could have a sizing area at the bottom. But with the handforged ones, I don't see how that could really work.

No, I have not decided. I really like the little side stones or whatever they have done on Leighton Meester's ring. I really don't want a solitaire. That is my problem. But I can't do a true three stone because I think it would be too much bling for me. I have considered this. I think it is one of the prettiest sets I have ever seen. I'd make some alterations to the setting, but I like the look. It's an 8mm center with .20 sides.

3stonetinysides1.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_5356.jpg Thought of you LLJsmom when I saw Victor's Instagram today. This is Purrdy!

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_5356.jpg Thought of you when I saw Victor's Instagram today. This is purrdy!
:lol: Bonfire, I thought of me too when I saw it!! I sent him a long rambling email that I don't think he will answer. Not that I blame him. I am all over the place. This ring though is heading in the right direction. Yes. PURRRDY is right!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hii @LLJsmom ...sorry if I missed it, but just curious to know what don't you like about your current setting? It seems to have a bit of bling with the side baguettes, the 4 prongs you love, and I believe it also has the gorgeous engraving on the basket and shank that really shows off the antiqueness! (Can you tell I love your setting? :lol:) Just trying to help you narrow down what does and doesn't make the cut!:halo:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol: Bonfire, I thought of me too when I saw it!! I sent him a long rambling email that I don't think he will answer. Not that I blame him. I am all over the place. This ring though is heading in the right direction. Yes. PURRRDY is right!

I thought of you when I saw the Anjele on his FB site today as well! It is absolutely gorgeous!! :love: I will be eager to hear what you decide... it sounds like you are narrowing down the elements that you are looking for, which is great progress in its own right!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I saw this earlier too! I think it is a beautiful setting and I'm SURE he will answer you! Keep us posted!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hii @LLJsmom ...sorry if I missed it, but just curious to know what don't you like about your current setting? It seems to have a bit of bling with the side baguettes, the 4 prongs you love, and I believe it also has the gorgeous engraving on the basket and shank that really shows off the antiqueness! (Can you tell I love your setting? :lol:) Just trying to help you narrow down what does and doesn't make the cut!:halo:
Hi ac117, I wanted to be able to type all this rather than do it all on my iphone. I think the bottom line is that the setting was not made to fit my stone. So in the end I think it doesn't fit, even though it's in there. I have this paranoia that my stone was just shoved into this setting. The prongs are bigger than I want, and the basket and prongs are all very straight. No curved lines at all. The claws are too big. I'm not a baguette person really, so the sides are not "me". And the underside of the shank is very thin. The sides are not quite thin enough. Nothing really matches it, but the single cut band that Victor made is probably the closest thing I have. It definitely has an antique-y feel. It's not like it's ugly. Argh!! I'm lame!!

P

PierreBear

I absolutely think it's amazing that you know exactly what you want and can communicate it. Half the time I can only say "something doesn't feel right" or this just completely blows me away. You aren't lame! You just know what you prefer and that's a great attribute! Have a great day!

Hi ac117, I wanted to be able to type all this rather than do it all on my iphone. I think the bottom line is that the setting was not made to fit my stone. So in the end I think it doesn't fit, even though it's in there. I have this paranoia that my stone was just shoved into this setting. The prongs are bigger than I want, and the basket and prongs are all very straight. No curved lines at all. The claws are too big. I'm not a baguette person really, so the sides are not "me". And the underside of the shank is very thin. The sides are not quite thin enough. Nothing really matches it, but the single cut band that Victor made is probably the closest thing I have. It definitely has an antique-y feel. It's not like it's ugly. Argh!! I'm lame!!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely think it's amazing that you know exactly what you want and can communicate it. Half the time I can only say "something doesn't feel right" or this just completely blows me away. You aren't lame! You just know what you prefer and that's a great attribute! Have a great day!

Totally agree with you PierreBear! LLJsmom, I applaud you for the ability of really distinguishing what you like/don't like. I definitely understand how the list of dislikes can grow since you're the one wearing it and looking at it and its flaws everyday! I'm sure you'll figure out just the right setting for your gorgeous stone in time...don't rush it so you get it just right!! :))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with you PierreBear! LLJsmom, I applaud you for the ability of really distinguishing what you like/don't like. I definitely understand how the list of dislikes can grow since you're the one wearing it and looking at it and its flaws everyday! I'm sure you'll figure out just the right setting for your gorgeous stone in time...don't rush it so you get it just right!! :))

Thank you PierreBear adn ac117. ***sigh*** I'm way too type A. I just want to love this setting. And I am straight up annoying myself at this point. :wall: And I'm impatient to boot. Yeah, I'm gonna just chill out and give myself a break. If it happens, it happens. We'll see how long that lasts... Thank you and Hugs to my support group...

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Hello LLJsmom, :wavey:
This Edwardian ring belonging to Nicole Wegman of Ring Concierge seems like it may fit your aesthetic (tri-wire, thin shank, cuff, subtle diamond accent, intersecting wires, antique):
https://ringconcierge.com/collections/engagement-rings/products/old-mine-cut-antique-engagement-ring
Her engagement ring is an actual antique, but she makes reproductions for clients. Her diamond is an 4.5 ct OMC, and the shank is 1.35 mm. Her Instagram has many photos of her e-ring, but the only non-top-view I could find is in this video.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caysie can make the shank cast with a tri-wire appearance and it could have a sizing area at the bottom. But with the handforged ones, I don't see how that could really work.

No, I have not decided. I really like the little side stones or whatever they have done on Leighton Meester's ring. I really don't want a solitaire. That is my problem. But I can't do a true three stone because I think it would be too much bling for me. I have considered this. I think it is one of the prettiest sets I have ever seen. I'd make some alterations to the setting, but I like the look. It's an 8mm center with .20 sides.

3stonetinysides1.jpg
DS, I truly love the way this looks! It's the best three stone OEC setting I've seen so far!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PSers,

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a new setting because I am just afraid to commit. Here is my dilemma. When I try on OECs set in more ornate settings, settings, they seem to "fit" the OECs. I will post an example of one later. It is very comfortable to the eye. But the con is that I feel like not allowing maximum exposure of the stone makes it look darker than when it is in a simpler four prong setting. I've compared so many next to my K OEC. And the ones, even though they are GIA Js, look darker than my K. (I'll post those pics too.) But when I am wearing a simple four prong (which is my preference), it just doesn't seem to be "enough" if you know what I mean. Although, a simple four prong is what I prefer, what I always lean toward.

My options are to:
1. Come up with a setting that is ornate enough for my OEC so that it looks at home, but still let in enough light so that it looks as bright as it is in the current setting. I would also feel great peace of mind with a setting with more "stuff" around the center stone so I can protect the girdle a bit. Finding this setting is hard. I feel like I've been looking forever.
2. Go with a four prong which is what I usually prefer just aesthetically, but then feel like it's just not "done" or "enough" and that my oec deserves more.
3. Go with a more ornate setting and possibly get sick of it and maybe compromise by losing some brightness.

If you don't mind giving me a little more detail in your response, I would appreciate it.
1. What do you think I should do? Some of you who kinda know me can help me here.
2. What would you do?

Below, I'll post some pics of settings that I found beautiful, and some comparison shots of more ornate settings and mine.
LLJsmom:
Hope these give you inspiration!!!
I love bling on prongs & baskets! I love the idea of keeping the ring as open around the stone as possible! More light is better!! Adding some accentuating bling can be just "enough" for a classic style, such as yours!
Please give me feedback & let me know if you like any of the above!!!
Your ring is beautiful, as is, but if you're looking for a little something new, I know it will be BEAUTIFUL!!!
CRM

IMG_4896.PNG

IMG_4897.JPG

IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This Edwardian ring belonging to Nicole Wegman of Ring Concierge seems like it may fit your aesthetic (tri-wire, thin shank, cuff, subtle diamond accent, intersecting wires, antique):
https://ringconcierge.com/collections/engagement-rings/products/old-mine-cut-antique-engagement-ring
Her engagement ring is an actual antique, but she makes reproductions for clients. Her diamond is an 4.5 ct OMC, and the shank is 1.35 mm. Her Instagram has many photos of her e-ring, but the only non-top-view I could find is in this video.
Skhii, thank you. That ring has many of the features I am hoping for. It is such a process for me to figure it out. But it appears that my fellow PSers can read me better than I can.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about you, but I find it a million times easier to identify what I DON'T like, but I find it hard to find one setting that has everything I DO like!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My last attempt had shank and shoulders similar to this one, but wow, her shank is WAY too thin! 1.35mm wow! I hope she doesn't make new ones that thin!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom:
Hope these give you inspiration!!!
I love bling on prongs & baskets! I love the idea of keeping the ring as open around the stone as possible! More light is better!! Adding some accentuating bling can be just "enough" for a classic style, such as yours!
Please give me feedback & let me know if you like any of the above!!!
Your ring is beautiful, as is, but if you're looking for a little something new, I know it will be BEAUTIFUL!!!
CRM
Hi Matthews, thank you for looking up setting ideas for me. A lot of these are reminiscent of my old setting, Victor Canera's Jocelyn with scalloped basket. I love bling in the basket. This very much style, and I would still go that route if I had an MRB. Now that I have an OEC, I am leaning more toward antique styles. This is quite a departure for me because I have always gravitated and felt most comfortable with very clean, basic styles. However, with quite a bit of hand-holding, something new and different (for me) may emerge. I am realizing that this is just a process. There are no short cuts. I honestly did not have a clear vision of what I wanted, and it is slowly evolving.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about you, but I find it a million times easier to identify what I DON'T like, but I find it hard to find one setting that has everything I DO like!
Yes, very hard DS. And what Ii thought I wanted, turned out maybe not. And then when I talk to another person they convince me to go for it. But I'm feeling very positive at this point, and will share more with you all when I have a firm quote, which means I will have ironed out most of the details.

Its a process. I can't be impatient, and I can't give up. I don't know how some people create a whole ring from ideas in their head.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps, you have something specific you know you want, and you just haven't found exactly what speaks to you? Creating something that doesn't exist, in the way you imagine it, is very difficult, and sometimes, there are so many resources for ideas that something gets lost in translation. As you said, you can't be impatient...I know you'll find what you want!! You have such beautiful pieces, and a great eye!! I was scrolling through Pinterest & I found several Antique ideas with OEC's from David Klass. Dunno if you like his stuff, but it's worth browsing...
;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you have some ideas now! I look forward to hearing about what you decide!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think when a setting is the perfect one, you don't get tired of it. Look at Yenny's oval in the SS setting. It's so gorgeous that I can't see why anyone would ever consider changing it. But it is not her daily wear ring, either. This all goes back to the idea that some of us just need more than one e-ring, because we can't narrow down the settings to just one!

I will answer that I do not think I'd go octagonal because of having the asscher ring. I don't want everything to be angular even though I like it. However, I am not in love with round halos, either, other than maybe Emilya. I can't remember if I have posted this SS ring, but it was twosanguinehearts' second setting!
singlestonesetting2a.jpg singlestonesetting2b.jpg SSring2.45ctr2.jpg
singlestonesetting2a.jpg
Sorry this last pic posted twice. I can't delete without deleting the first one, so I am leaving it!

Jan is right. I adore my SS set oval and do not think I will ever get tired of it. I was wearing it daily (not to the gym or to do housework), but to run errands, go to meetings, hang out with friends (normal stuff), so it does get worn fairly regularly and I still get such joy from wearing it and admiring the beauty of the setting and stone. I am in the middle of working with CvB to design a ring for a 10mm circular brilliant and have had some of the same thoughts/struggles you've had. I know I wanted a bezel because I tend to whack my hand a lot and wanted the protection that a bezel gives me. I wanted simple detail from the top and more ornate gallery that still lets lots of light in. I toyed with two tone (some rose gold in the gallery) but then chickened out. Anyway, I think that any of the vendors mentioned could work with you to create your dream ring that checks all of your boxes.

Good luck! I totally feel your pain!! Committing to something based on sketches (and even a CAD) is scary because it's not seeing it on your hand, which can change things....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yenny, you hit the nail on the head, and that is exactly why I think we see so many new rings go up for sale soon after they are received. It is extremely hard to be sure of what we want when we can't try it on in advance. I am certain about that in my case, at least!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yenny, you hit the nail on the head, and that is exactly why I think we see so many new rings go up for sale soon after they are received. It is extremely hard to be sure of what we want when we can't try it on in advance. I am certain about that in my case, at least!!!
Absolutely! Honestly, I just approved CADs this week and after reading this thread, I'm totally second guessing the whole thing!! Yikes!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, I never thought about that, but I think that can be very true. A setting can completely change the "feel" of a stone.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely! Honestly, I just approved CADs this week and after reading this thread, I'm totally second guessing the whole thing!! Yikes!
yenny, thank you so much for chiming in on this thread. I am learning that the process of creating a custom setting is actually crucial to the design of the setting. I always thought that people who created custom settings had a very clear vision before they started and now I realize that is not always the case. And that discussing differing opinions and the reasons behind can bring up new ideas that were better than either of the originals. But it's not straightforward, not like following a recipe. It's nerve wracking and you need to trust the person you are working with.
yenny, I think your design will turn out beautifully. But it is always normal to second guess in this process right?

I don't remember if you wrote about the details of the process on creating your SS masterpiece. I'm going to go back and reread the thread.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point LLJsmom about trusting whom you are working with. That's why I think it's so important to pick the artist whose vision and skills best align with your expectations. Even when we aren't sure ourselves of all the pieces of the puzzle. If that makes sense.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I went to Caysie with a fairly clear list of things I wanted, and her sketch was exactly what I asked for, however, I'm second guessing the details....are they too fussy for a forever ring?

My SS setting was a long story. Ari was going to piece together elements of several rings (and he doesn't do CADs) so he promised that if I hated it, I didn't have to keep it. And I REALLY hated it. I had loved the setting I ended up with but was afraid that it was going to be too much, which was why I didn't go that route in the first place. After the first design was a no go, Ari sent me the design I ended up with shown with an OEC to try on. I loved it immediately and he made that setting for my oval and I never looked back! Very stressful though, as is working with Caysie. Both she and Ari are saints and I love them, but these are hard decisions and I hate to ask them to make changes when I don't like the very thing I asked for. That's where I am with Caysie. I LOVE the sketch but seeing it in a CAD has made me question a couple of elements that I think may really impact the end product. I'm feeling like a pita for bringing it up, so I haven't, but I think I'm going to have to....the issue is that it's all on me (not Caysie's fault at all) and I hate to ask her to spend even more time on the design. I'm thinking this will be my last custom project...I can't handle the stress!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One question for you all. I have always admired bezels as you know, but fearful of light obstruction and the stone looking darker in a bezel. So I wanted to just rule it out for peace of mind. I talked to Victor and he was of the opinion that it depends on the stone, what DS said, and some others in my other support group. She mentioned that those stones cut for max light performance won't have issues because it draws in light from the top of the diamond, i.e. Very little leakage. Thus precision cut stones are ideal to be in bezels. With OECs, that is a lot harder because by nature they are not what cut to modern standards of precision cut stones. thus, light leakage is a common attribute and their performance may be compromised in a bezel setting. That is exactly what Victor said too. So he asked me to send an ASET of my stone. I only had an idealscope handy and I sent that. He examined it and he said that the stone was really well cut for an OEC and that light performance would not be affected by a bezel setting. He promised he wasn't saying it to be nice, but it was in his professional opinion. Ok here is my really stupid question. Do you think I should believe him? I don't mean to say that he would be lying, but my brain just can't seem to wrap itself around the idea that on originally cut old cut can be ok enough not to be compromised by a bezel set. Maybe my definition of compromise is too strict. By nature I am very cautious and skeptical and triple check everything so I hope no one is offended that I go to various sources to confirm what I am told. Would you all rely on the opinion of a professional that you trust? Am I letting my paranoia (cause I guess there is no other word for it) get the better of me? (Probably). And keeping me from taking a channce in an amazing setting?? I feel dumber and dumber as I type.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yennyfire : OMG this is exactly what I am concerned about too "these are hard decisions and I hate to ask them to make changes when I don't like the very thing I asked for."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results