shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Canera Antique Cushion for proposal?? Help please?

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am a first-time diamond shopper looking for one for the engagement ring (although I did bought a very small pendant recently but this time is much more serious). I wanted something unique for my love so the cushion cut moved up in priority over round brilliant although the spread and fire usually take a hit in cushions when compared to rounds.

I've had my eyes on these 3 CAC stones, they are beautiful and elegant. I'd like some advice/suggestions/thoughts on which one I should get. I think I have researched enough on the basics but I still am not 100% sure because I am not in the US and I can only get details online about these stones. I understand that ASET cannot be the determining tool but that's the only better tool I can rely on.

I also did comparisons of dimensions on www.diamdb.com just to get an estimation of what they look like on finger.

*My pros & cons are based on my beginner level knowledge, I humbly seek your corrections and advice.

A) 1.055ct G VS1
6.35x5.59x3.72
My initial choice -
Pros: The most "cleanest" on cert among the 3
Cons: Largest cutlet and slightly more "white areas" on ASET among the 3
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/27f0xp-1.055-g-vs1-very-good-antique-cushion

B) 1.058ct G VS2 AGS
6.12x6x4
Pros: AGS000, smallest cutlet, better ASET image than A (?), a square shape makes it look larger than A
Cons: Table has 5 clouds and 3 needles which I don't think will show much to the eye? But that's not "mind-clean" when compared to A
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/u0u2z2-1.058-g-vs2-ideal-antique-cushion

C) 1.01ct F VS1
6.29x5.73x3.87
Pros: F color, a more squarish look than A which makes it look larger although by very little
Cons: Although it is VS1, it has natural and indented naturals on the girdles, it's not "mind-clean" and a but bothering on the cert
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/2jawrx-1.010-f-vs1-excellent-antique-cushion

I wish I could go up $1k-2k more on budget but I'd rather save that for our future new home. What do you guys think? I think B) is cute with its square shape while A) is elegant slight rectangular. Those clouds on B are bothering me (probably eye-clean? How could I tell online?) so I chose A) over it.

I could really use some advice and understand what you guys prefer although it's a really a thing of personal preference. My GF is very slim, wears a size 6 ring. I am having a hard time deciding which shape to go for (A or B).

HELP! And THANKS!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll leave the experts to advise on diamond specs,but purely on looks I prefer the shape of the one on the left.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for the ideal cut every time- A is only very good.

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
I'll leave the experts to advise on diamond specs,but purely on looks I prefer the shape of the one on the left.

Thank you. Foxinsox kind of suggested me to look at the Euro Rounds, I think they are also very very nice and might actually be a safer choice for an engagement ring when I am not 100% sure that my future fiance will like the Antique Cushion cut. What do you think of these two? They are not as "clean" as my first choice of the Cushion though but they give very good size.

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/04fh73-1.074-g-vs2-ideal-old-european-cut

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/8ntm43-1.012-g-vs2-ideal-estimated-old-european-cut

groovnstar

Rough_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.07 definitely. It has a larger diameter and faces up as 1 ct. Beautiful stones! I think you are wise to go with a round if she is not familiar with antique cushions.

(Just for your information, the facet cut at the bottom of the pavilion of the cushions and the rounds is called a culet. It is not a con to have a large culet (which in fact is so small you don't necessarily see it in real life viewing). It is part of the character and beauty of an antique cut stone.)

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply diamondseeker2006! Appreciate it and I am the same about the 1.07 one:)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked her friends or looked at any pics she might have that suggest what she wants, if you have no idea go with the round if she pins or her friends say she likes cushions, go with the Antique cushion. Victor's stones are lovely so either way it will be a beautiful choice.

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
The 1.07 definitely. It has a larger diameter and faces up as 1 ct. Beautiful stones! I think you are wise to go with a round if she is not familiar with antique cushions.

(Just for your information, the facet cut at the bottom of the pavilion of the cushions and the rounds is called a culet. It is not a con to have a large culet (which in fact is so small you don't necessarily see it in real life viewing). It is part of the character and beauty of an antique cut stone.)
Just learnt from Victor that the 1.07 cannot be sold by itself must be paired...need to do it all over again lol...I am looking at GOG but they don't seem to have high color on european round.

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Have you asked her friends or looked at any pics she might have that suggest what she wants, if you have no idea go with the round if she pins or her friends say she likes cushions, go with the Antique cushion. Victor's stones are lovely so either way it will be a beautiful choice.
No I didn't ask her friends..because I want it to be my own effort (may sound silly to some). But I do believe the Euro cut is indeed a better and safer version. I think the Euro cut fits her personality perfectly.

Too bad I am now down to only 2 options here since some of the stones on their site are paired.

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/8ntm43-1.012-g-vs2-ideal-estimated-old-european-cut

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/jdamuv-1.002-f-vs2-ideal-estimated-old-european-cut

I am leaning towards to 1.012 due to the more cleaner table. The 1.002 has black spots on the table which bothers me.

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Ah yes I was just looking at this one moments ago. I am concerned about the crystal on the table whereas the CER mostly has clouds only. To me those crystals on the table are worse than the clouds, am I wrong? It does have a slightly larger spread and a few hundred dollars cheaper.
Here is the AGS cert for the GOG one.
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104072705003-GDQRNC.PDF

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think you'd see it with your eyes. If you want mind clean, you'll need to go higher in clarity. Clouds can make a diamond look, um, cloudy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wasn't going to mention this since you were focusing on Victor's stones (and I love both vendors), but when I look at the stone video that is highly magnified, I cannot see inclusions. Just ask them, but it appears to be a very clean VS2, to me. It has a tiny bit larger diameter than the 1.01.

But if you plan to have Victor set the stone, you need to buy his stone.

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I dislike the fact that Victor Canera present the diamonds as individual but after that refuse the sale, because they are paired :eh:
If VC wants to sell paired diamonds, just to list them as a pair, or at least to include this information in the item description!
From the Canera cushion diamonds that you linked I like a lot this one:
About the round old European, I would buy from GOG, because I like smaller tables, around 45%. The Canera European diamonds are mostly with 50% tables, that size table tends to modern round brilliant...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dislike the fact that Victor Canera present the diamonds as individual but after that refuse the sale, because they are paired :eh:
If VC wants to sell paired diamonds, just to list them as a pair, or at least to include this information in the item description!
From the Canera cushion diamonds that you linked I like a lot this one:
About the round old European, I would buy from GOG, because I like smaller tables, around 45%. The Canera European diamonds are mostly with 50% tables, that size table tends to modern round brilliant...
Eva can you please explain what you mean by "paired"?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see
LLJsmom,
I just replaid the groovnstar post:
I see Eva.

OP, Victor is working on getting the website updated to show which ones are specific pairs. Hope there is something else you might be interested in.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ah yes I was just looking at this one moments ago. I am concerned about the crystal on the table whereas the CER mostly has clouds only. To me those crystals on the table are worse than the clouds, am I wrong? It does have a slightly larger spread and a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Personally I prefer the crystals I can see on video and not with a naked eye to clouds, which can have transparency issues. Both vendors are great as will tell you honestly regarding transparency / eye clean. To me for now that GOG stone seems like the better deal. All look lovely

EvaEvans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't think that this diamond will have clarity issue and most probably it's eye clean, but what I don't like in it is the tick girdle (3.3% to 6.3%). Thick girdle reduces the diamond spread and diamond looks smaller for its carat size.

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Putting the GOG one aside, the 2 CERs are simply very close. Now one of my wholesaler friends strongly advised me not to get a stone at 1.00x ct because any small accident like a bump could chip the stone and make it become .99ct which will decrease the value by a lot (he said it happened to his customer). Should I be worried about this if I buy the 1.002ct? It does have F color which is one grade above the 1.012ct G(see I am from Asia and you people know how color grades are perceived here). I know IRL there is probably not much difference between F and G, so it's just cert value. I am being very undecisive here..

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Think I have to go for the Canera Euro Round 1.002 F VS2. Just learned that my girlfriend does want D-F color:)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Putting the GOG one aside, the 2 CERs are simply very close. Now one of my wholesaler friends strongly advised me not to get a stone at 1.00x ct because any small accident like a bump could chip the stone and make it become .99ct which will decrease the value by a lot (he said it happened to his customer). Should I be worried about this if I buy the 1.002ct? It does have F color which is one grade above the 1.012ct G(see I am from Asia and you people know how color grades are perceived here). I know IRL there is probably not much difference between F and G, so it's just cert value. I am being very undecisive here..
Disagree strongly. You can't go through life letting your decisions be based on a possible accident that will bring down the value of anything. Omg. Tell your wholesaler friend to get a life. Hell, just LIVE the one he/she's got. I'm truly. Im not trying to be mean. This is my advice not just on diamonds but on life in general.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think I have to go for the Canera Euro Round 1.002 F VS2. Just learned that my girlfriend does want D-F color:)
That will be beautiful. I can't wait for you to decide on a setting.

I can you have any concerns about it being a part of a pair, just call Victor and talk to him directly. He will tell you. Or maybe you already have. Please come back and tell us which one you go with. So excited for you.

Last edited:

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Disagree strongly. You can't go through life letting your decisions be based on a possible accident that will bring down the value of anything. Omg. Tell your wholesaler friend to get a life. Hell, just LIVE the one he/she's got. I'm truly. Im not trying to be mean. This is my advice not just on diamonds but on life in general.
Wow I never thought of that..hmm. Actually just in the last few days after I read so much on here and did much reading about choosing diamonds, I noticed that in the process of it people's different personalities, values and life emphasis really show. Stones are stones and it should be very scientific I thought, but we really all see the same stone differently when it comes to the values that we attach to it in our head. Very interesting. Anyway that's really another topic. Thank you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I never thought of that..hmm. Actually just in the last few days after I read so much on here and did much reading about choosing diamonds, I noticed that in the process of it people's different personalities, values and life emphasis really show. Stones are stones and it should be very scientific I thought, but we really all see the same stone differently when it comes to the values that we attach to it in our head. Very interesting. Anyway that's really another topic. Thank you.
I do want to say I'm sorry if I offended you. I've been married for 20 years this year, and have wasted a decent amount of my life by basing decisions on fear of the bad things may happen, and not focusing on the good things that can be. A diamond is a luxury, not like milk or eggs or the utility bill. The whole point is that your fiancé love it and enjoy it. Don't let fear of the accident that reduces the diamond by .01 carat prevent you from getting the one you want. Accidents can happen anywhere at any time. Live life without regret.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
groovnstar - Good luck with your quest on finding the perfect diamond. I just wanted to let you know the same thing happened to me with Victor Canera. I was also interested in the same 1.074 ct OEC diamond. I spent days picking the diamond and setting and then when I inquired to purchase he said the diamond would only be sold as a pair. As per LLJsmom, I'm glad he's changing his website because the way it is now he's wasting people's time and setting them up for disappointment.

I look forward to see what you end up purchasing.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to be gorgeous...just remember: diamonds...REAL DIAMONDS...are flawed, in one way or another. You have to focus on which of the 4 C's is/are a priority to both you, and her. If she wants a colorless stone, you know that's a priority. You know you want good clarity (even though, with a brilliant cut stone, that really isn't AS high on the priority list-sorry to disappoint anyone...but it's true...lol!)...so VS2 & up is on that list (for you). You've decided on Carat: 1.00-1.10. I wear a size 6 ring (my finger is 5.5, but my hands swell, so I wear a 6), and I can say a 1.00-1.10ct stone looks bigger on my hand. Good choice. Cut is going to be important for sparkle factor, as well as Symmetry. What about Flourescence? That's all personal preference. I prefer none. That may not matter to either of you. Symmetry is key to the quality & sparkle of a brilliant cut diamond. You want beautiful lines & design, that sparkle in unison...without "dark" spots. Quite frankly, your priorities in selecting a stone using specs should be:

1. Carat (1.00-1.10)
2. Color (D-F)
3. Cut/Symmetry/Polish (Very Good to Excellent-Ideal will break the bank, esp when you are now in Colorless Range)
4. Clarity (VS2-VVS1)

**Not sure what your budget is, but Color & clarity are going to cost you, dearly.
I know for a fact, from personal experience, there are eye clean stones (SI2-SI1 clarity) out there in D-F color range that are just as sparkly, with beautiful symmetry & cut quality that will LITERALLY save you hundreds to thousands of dollars, without remarkable difference.**

Your real struggle seems to be SHAPE. What is her PERSONALITY? Does she follow the crowd, or stand out? Is she quiet & reserved, or more outspoken? Does she wear other jewelry? If so, what common shapes have you seen? Women tend to express themselves through fashion. Jewelry is a great way for a woman to express herself. If her jewelry is more square or rectangular, steer away from round. Cushion is your best bet. If you are serious about this, which you seem to be, go into the store & actually look into the magnifier. You'd be surprised at how well inclusions can hide, and NOT affect the sparkle & brilliance of a diamond. Online shopping for diamonds, in my opinion, can make shopping very difficult...unnecessarily. The best way to know how inclusions affect the bling factor of a stone is to physically see it for yourself. Eye clean, slightly included stones deserve just as much consideration as flawless, VVS, or VS included stones. You just may find a hidden treasure. GIA certification and ASETS are great resources, but they shouldn't be the only basis upon which you make your decision. It's a shame you are limited to online searching; in store shopping is far more beneficial.
All diamonds are beautiful, even in the raw. You're doing a great job looking for the "perfect" diamond. Truth is: it doesn't exist; only the perfect diamond for HER exists...and it's out there. I agree: stop worrying about making a "mistake", and regretting the choice.
TRUTH: she will wear this ever day of her life, and it will show off your personality as a couple, and reflect her personality as an individual...BUT, you can't live your life in fear of making the wrong decision concerning this. Life is too short. She'll love anything you put on her finger, if she loves you!
I hope this is helpful. She's a lucky lady to have a man so concerned with making her happy & promising "forever" with the "perfect" ring.
Good luck with your search!! I'm so excited for you!!!!
CRM ;-)

Last edited:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, I am a first-time diamond shopper looking for one for the engagement ring (although I did bought a very small pendant recently but this time is much more serious). I wanted something unique for my love so the cushion cut moved up in priority over round brilliant although the spread and fire usually take a hit in cushions when compared to rounds.

I've had my eyes on these 3 CAC stones, they are beautiful and elegant. I'd like some advice/suggestions/thoughts on which one I should get. I think I have researched enough on the basics but I still am not 100% sure because I am not in the US and I can only get details online about these stones. I understand that ASET cannot be the determining tool but that's the only better tool I can rely on.

I also did comparisons of dimensions on www.diamdb.com just to get an estimation of what they look like on finger.

*My pros & cons are based on my beginner level knowledge, I humbly seek your corrections and advice.

A) 1.055ct G VS1
6.35x5.59x3.72
My initial choice -
Pros: The most "cleanest" on cert among the 3
Cons: Largest cutlet and slightly more "white areas" on ASET among the 3
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/27f0xp-1.055-g-vs1-very-good-antique-cushion

B) 1.058ct G VS2 AGS
6.12x6x4
Pros: AGS000, smallest cutlet, better ASET image than A (?), a square shape makes it look larger than A
Cons: Table has 5 clouds and 3 needles which I don't think will show much to the eye? But that's not "mind-clean" when compared to A

C) 1.01ct F VS1
6.29x5.73x3.87
Pros: F color, a more squarish look than A which makes it look larger although by very little
Cons: Although it is VS1, it has natural and indented naturals on the girdles, it's not "mind-clean" and a but bothering on the cert
https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/2jawrx-1.010-f-vs1-excellent-antique-cushion

I wish I could go up $1k-2k more on budget but I'd rather save that for our future new home. What do you guys think? I think B) is cute with its square shape while A) is elegant slight rectangular. Those clouds on B are bothering me (probably eye-clean? How could I tell online?) so I chose A) over it.

I could really use some advice and understand what you guys prefer although it's a really a thing of personal preference. My GF is very slim, wears a size 6 ring. I am having a hard time deciding which shape to go for (A or B).

HELP! And THANKS!!
I prefer A over B for 2 reasons:
1. Shape. It has rectangular dimensions, and will make her finger look slim. It will fit beautifully in any setting you choose, and not look "block-ish".
2. Symmetry. The lines & design of this stone are far more symmetrical, and light exchange will not be affected by the very large Culet, as much as the weak symmetry of B will affect the light exchange with the medium Culet. You will loose sparkle with poor symmetry. Some facets will appear dark.
I realize that these stones are "paired", and are not an option, but...this is an example of what to look for, when making your selection.

groovnstar

Rough_Rock
Hi and thanks Poodles4me. Yes how I was disappointed when told about the stone not being sold by itself! His store his rule but Victor has to update the website for sure. Wasn't angry but I can imagine other customers could react with much more frustration. I wondered why they couldn't simply add a note though, shouldn't be a problem at all..

Hi everybody and Matthews1127, I have put down a deposit on the CER 1.002 F VS2! It is a safer choice and it should suit her style and personality perfectly as an engagement ring. In terms of daily style and fashion, she does like to be a little bit unique but also not the kind to stand out from the crowd with her clothing. She wouldn't wear shoes that every other girl is wearing but could spend weeks and months just to find a pair that she likes and feel comfy in.
Another reason why I chose the round instead of the cushion is I think CACs look very very good when above 1.5ct because for those chunky pastel colors, which I love, to catch eyes they have to be well, chunky. I am sure a 1ct CAC is also beautiful but I'd rather get a larger one in like 5-8 years time when I have the budget.
The CER is round, which is a common shape for engagement rings where I am from, but its cut and sparkles are just unique. She will love the pastel colors (I am 90% sure) and it should be easy to wear and match, an everyday item yet unique. Oh another thing is, a 1ct CAC looks smaller than a 1ct round.
So the CER has the size, it is F color, VS2 eye clean (I can only trust the information available to me) and yet have the unique sparkles that a CAC could offer.
I should be getting the stone in a few months time. I am going to spend months choosing a setting for it. She likes something simple, doesn't seem to like those vintage ones (the designs are often too busy for her) but I also want to add a bit of uniqueness. Should be a solitaire. I want a modern one with a hint of vintage (Edwardian?) to it.
Should I start another thread to get some advice and help on this? I already checked out Show Me the Bling but can't seem to find a style in between modern (like a Tiffany setting) and vintage.
Thank you much again to you all:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results