shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald ring

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sharing my emerald ring! This was purchased around 7 years ago, but I've only worn it a few times due to fear of chipping the stone. The setting prongs were very carefully folded over the stone. As you can see, 2 have snapped off when they got stuck on a sweater. I am planning on getting them remade, but of course this requires removing the stone and possible accidents. At least, I've been warned about this with emeralds, so I'm actually afraid to have it done. I can wait since the stone is still quite secure. Has anyone had an emerald damaged by having prongs adjusted or repaired?

I'm not sure about the stats since the papers arent at my home, but I know it's Colombian, quite clean, 18k and diamonds. If I remember correctly, it's untreated. The ring is antique looking, but is new. As so many have said, emeralds are hard to capture in pics. The color is more blue green, and slightly more saturated than in the pics.

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have some beautiful pieces.

They would remove the stone, fix the prongs and then reset. A skilled bench (who works with colored stones) should tell you if they feel there is any significant risk with the particular stone. I am not an emerald expect but most emeralds are treated to improve clarity. My guess is you would be fine with an experienced bench. (There is always some risk in setting any stone even ones that have never been set before)

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont having advice on getting the prongs done/fixed/replaced. I justed want to say that ring is Gorgeous...gorgeous...GORGEOUS!! The color of that emerald is so wonderfully rich!!:love:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Before I ventured into the realm of coloured stones and Pricescope, when I thought of emeralds, that'd be your ring stone colour!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont having advice on getting the prongs done/fixed/replaced. I justed want to say that ring is Gorgeous...gorgeous...GORGEOUS!! The color of that emerald is so wonderfully rich!!:love:
Thank you!
Before I ventured into the realm of coloured stones and Pricescope, when I thought of emeralds, that'd be your ring stone colour!
Awe, thank you!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have some beautiful pieces.

They would remove the stone, fix the prongs and then reset. A skilled bench (who works with colored stones) should tell you if they feel there is any significant risk with the particular stone. I am not an emerald expect but most emeralds are treated to improve clarity. My guess is you would be fine with an experienced bench. (There is always some risk in setting any stone even ones that have never been set before)
Yes, that's the procedure. I'll take it in to the jeweler who made it eventually. She does outstanding work and is famous in my area for her perfectionism in quality when it comes to colored stones. I had hoped to do it for less money, as she's quite expensive, so I took it to two top jewelers in my area, one who does lazer welding. Both were nervous about it because they felt the stone might not be the easiest to replace, should something happen . They both said that it's strong, clear crystal, so not as fragile as a more included emerald, but that emeralds can be "chippy". I suspect that the job is simply alot of work and risk for the money earned, and they were making me aware of this. I've got it insured, so that provides some peace of mind. If I have the prongs redone, I'll have them made with thicker gold because I don't want to go through this again.

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous emerald ring Bluegemz. I love the last pic in which it shows the blue in the stone. You have a very nice collection btw.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous emerald ring Bluegemz. I love the last pic in which it shows the blue in the stone. You have a very nice collection btw.
Thank you so much. It's a pleasure to share with such wonderful gem/jewelry lovers!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is amazing. The color, the cut, the saturation. You said you did not know the stat, but maybe the weight? Also, forgive my interest, but did you buy the stone first, or sourced it out through the jeweler who made the ring?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is amazing. The color, the cut, the saturation. You said you did not know the stat, but maybe the weight? Also, forgive my interest, but did you buy the stone first, or sourced it out through the jeweler who made the ring?

Thank you! It's got an interesting cut for an emerald because it's an oval brilliant type of cut. It may have fewer facets than other gems in this cut, I'm not sure. But the cut and saturation is what sold me. I wish I could give you the stats but the papers are at the bank. I would estimate by 1.5-2 carats. I know that emeralds are not as dense as sapphire, so I'm taking a guess and could be way off. It's roughly 10mm by maybe 7? I hope this is of some help!

My husband and I purchased the ring 7 years ago, so it's been a while since I last saw the stats. It was already put together by Valerie Fairchild of Fairchild and co. She is a perfectionist when it comes to finding great colored gems with super high quality. She has an amazing eye for color. I've purchased a number of things from her over the years and highly recommend her.

Last edited:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a real stunner! Wear it in good health.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolute perfection, Bluegemz!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very nice color and clean, too! Emeralds are know to be notorious for chipping because it is a Type III gemstone, which is almost always included. Even a heavily included nicely colored emerald is acceptable in the trade, so a surface-reaching break is always possible. Yours seem to be clean and I cannot really see the inclusions. Check for surface-reaching breaks and fractures and if there's none, it is less prone to chipping. If it is clean, it will be durable and with even lesser risk of chipping.

In case you decide for a reset, go with more durable metal for the prong such as 14k white gold or platinum (the rest of the ring can be in yellow gold if you like the color). Some jewelers can also do vector setting which you could explore, which is a technique that lessens the risk of the stones loosening up in the prongs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had 22K gold prongs rebuilt but the stone in question was a sapphire so I was all right with that. In this case, go with experience and skill. It will be worth the cost. Good luck!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks like a gorgeous stone and ring! It should be safe if you are being careful. For me I feel the safest setting for an emerald is a bezel setting, if you can find a bench that is experienced and comfortable with works with emeralds. Enjoy it!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your Emerald ring is gorgeous. It is so classic and elegant. I can understand your hestitation and fear about getting the repair work done.

Your jewellery is amazing and I look forward to more pictures. I'm sure your tourmaline necklace looks lovely with this ring.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice color and clean, too! Emeralds are know to be notorious for chipping because it is a Type III gemstone, which is almost always included. Even a heavily included nicely colored emerald is acceptable in the trade, so a surface-reaching break is always possible. Yours seem to be clean and I cannot really see the inclusions. Check for surface-reaching breaks and fractures and if there's none, it is less prone to chipping. If it is clean, it will be durable and with even lesser risk of chipping.

In case you decide for a reset, go with more durable metal for the prong such as 14k white gold or platinum (the rest of the ring can be in yellow gold if you like the color). Some jewelers can also do vector setting which you could explore, which is a technique that lessens the risk of the stones loosening up in the prongs.
Thank you for this..,I've never heard of vector setting, but will definitely bring it up. Much appreciated!
I've had 22K gold prongs rebuilt but the stone in question was a sapphire so I was all right with that. In this case, go with experience and skill. It will be worth the cost. Good luck!
Thank you!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks like a gorgeous stone and ring! It should be safe if you are being careful. For me I feel the safest setting for an emerald is a bezel setting, if you can find a bench that is experienced and comfortable with works with emeralds. Enjoy it!
Thanks! You are right, bezel is the safest. Maybe when I have them redone, I'll do them in platinum and have them widened. Since there are so many prongs around it, it might be like a mix between bezel and prongs.
Your Emerald ring is gorgeous. It is so classic and elegant. I can understand your hestitation and fear about getting the repair work done.

Your jewellery is amazing and I look forward to more pictures. I'm sure your tourmaline necklace looks lovely with this ring.
awe, thank you! Yes the ring does go with the tourmaline necklace pretty well. It's an interesting mix of greens and modernity with something more intricate. Though, tbh I've been looking for a tourmaline to match and make a ring with.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not only gorgeous. The design is awesome. Please suggest a price? If it's in the budget, then I suggest giving this as a gift to a special one.
Thank you! I was definitely planning on giving it to one of my daughters. I'm not sure what you are asking by 'please suggest a price'. Are you asking how much I paid, or that i should suggest a price to have the prongs fixed?

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
It was a spammer Bluegemz, apologies for the interruption.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results