shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA certified colour treated pinks - what the ??

Would you buy a GIA certed colour treated fancy colour diamond?

• YES

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • NO

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescopers,

Have lately been dreaming of a fancy coloured diamond for a ring that currently holds a 0.5ct colourless diamond. Having spoken to my jeweller, the setting could hold up to a 1ct round. In that case, I have been doing a little bit of searching for a nice FCD - under 1ct to go into my ring.

Have been mostly looking at Pricescope vetted sites for coloured diamonds (DBL, Leibish etc) but did also did a bit of looking on Ebay out of curiosity. I then came across a vendor selling GIA certified colour treated diamonds. I didn't even realise that GIA certed such diamonds?? I understand that they do not certify fracture filled diamond but do cert laser drilled diamonds. I think I also recall a thread about GIA certing diamonds that had been "bleached" to become more colourless (HPHT colour annealing?) But I did not realise that GIA was certing fancy colour diamonds that had been treated to become that colour - a fancy colour (pink, yellow or blue for example)

Here is one example of a small fancy pink that I found. See pics below.

What are your thoughts? Would you buy such a diamond? I know most people's preference is to stick with natural - all natural - fancy colour diamonds, but the thing is - I can't afford a natural fancy pink in the half carat range!! The fact that this diamond is GIA certed is certainly making me think about it. The price on the listing is given as $1525USD (and there is a "Make an offer" option too, so I am assuming they might take an offer even if not much of a discount).

The diamond is to go into a ring for me to appreciate, wear and enjoy. Obviously I am not looking at buying a pink for any sort of investment purpose (though it wouldn't be investment grade anyway given the colour treatment.) I would like to buy, but am on the fence. Thinking out loud on Pricescope sometimes is a big help in making a decision!

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.18.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 8.18.54 PM.png

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would not but it's your money and if you like it, well, why not go for it! The colour is quite light, have you considered any other pink stones, maybe a sapphire?

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Notice the lack of clarity and complete color info on that stone. That's on purpose.

The main problem with this is that legit dealers don't want to sell color treated and GIA doesn't want to help them, so the best you can do is hunt them down on eBay. I would think twice (or thrice) about buying ANY stone off of eBay. Research the dealer as much as you can. And remember, if the stone were worth a decent amount before treatment, it wouldn't have been treated. The treatments can be risky.
This is one of those places where mind and matter collide. There are cheaper options--but they won't be a diamond. There are more appealing options--but they won't be as cheap. But given the circumstances there are probably nicer looking options as well.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought of something else, which will be far more useful to you.

Africa Gems is a trusted dealer of colored stones, and they sell enhanced pinks. The colored stone forum has a sticky with a long list of trusted dealers. Check that list and look for your dealer's name over in colored stones.

If the dealer checks out, then it's really just a question of preference. But I gotta add, that picture looks really good. Way too good.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like it, by all means buy it.
Nothing wrong with it.

Not my cup of tea, but tea drinkers vary. ;-)

Good luck deciding what's a good price.
That's impossible enough with FCDs that GIA has graded to be fully natural (both the material and the color are from the earth, not a lab)

BTW I'd avoid the terms certify and certificate.
Even the top labs like GIA and AGS grade gems.
They issue grading reports, subject to the fine print on the back.
They don't 'certify' them.
Legally, certify is a quite different standard.

Certify is the term some sellers (and buyers) like because it feels like "certainty", and reduces fear.
A grading report from the most reputable lab reduces my fear adequately for me to wire funds.
I don't need this faux 'certificate'.

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Personally, I would not but it's your money and if you like it, well, why not go for it! The colour is quite light, have you considered any other pink stones, maybe a sapphire?

I did really have my heart set on a FCD for this ring, but yes if i found the right sapphire I would consider it. It would need to be a light coloured sapphire and have a lot of brilliance.
I do like this one that I saw on the Mastercut gems website, it is the right size too:
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...l_Montana_Sapphire_1_06_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=1

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
Notice the lack of clarity and complete color info on that stone. That's on purpose.

What is lacking in terms of information on clarity? GIA gave it a grading of VS1 and it even has a plotting of where the feather is located. In terms of colour information, what else do GIA normally provide on the detailed reports?

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
I thought of something else, which will be far more useful to you.

Africa Gems is a trusted dealer of colored stones, and they sell enhanced pinks. The colored stone forum has a sticky with a long list of trusted dealers. Check that list and look for your dealer's name over in colored stones.

If the dealer checks out, then it's really just a question of preference. But I gotta add, that picture looks really good. Way too good.

Thanks for the suggestion! I love the Africa Gems website, have been drooling over some of their emeralds for years..... I did not know they sold colour enhanced pinks! I did go and have a look and their enhanced pinks are more expensive $$$ that i have currently budgeted for in the 0.5carat range but it could be something to consider for the future. And I know that Africa Gems is more reputable dealer than the folk I found on Ebay!

I am familiar with the trusted vendors over in the CS forum, it is a great list and I have spent a great deal of time in the past perusing many a vendor website mentioned on that list. I especially adore Mastercut gems, Clearcut gums and Pristine Gemstones. I would consider this sapphire on the Mastercut gems website, i really like the colour, but I don't know if its going to give me the brilliance I want from a diamond, especially in the setting its in.

Bling it on

Rough_Rock
If you like it, by all means buy it.
Nothing wrong with it.

Not my cup of tea, but tea drinkers vary. ;-)

Good luck deciding what's a good price.
That's impossible enough with FCDs that GIA has graded to be fully natural (both the material and the color are from the earth, not a lab)

BTW I'd avoid the terms certify and certificate.
Even the top labs like GIA and AGS grade gems.
They issue grading reports, subject to the fine print on the back.
They don't 'certify' them.
Legally, certify is a quite different standard.

Certify is the term some sellers (and buyers) like because it feels like "certainty", and reduces fear.
A grading report from the most reputable lab reduces my fear adequately for me to wire funds.
I don't need this faux 'certificate'.

Thanks for weighing in Kenny. About the price, I really need to have a think about whether or not i am happy to pay that amount for a natural diamond that has been enhanced. I am leaning towards 'yes' I would be happy to pay that amount for the diamond in question. However, it all boils down to what it looks like in real life. I will need to see it with my own eyes to understand if its worth that amount. I am unsure about the vendor though, looks like I will need to do a bit more research and also ask them some questions to see how responsive they are and what their return policy is.

Thanks for pointing out my incorrect use of 'certificate'. I have always in my head thought about those pieces of paper from the GIA grading gemstones as 'certificates'. I have a colourless diamond with a GIA report and pulled it out today. Lo and behold, not mention of the word 'certificate'!! (So I'm not really sure why the word certificate and certify has stuck with me....)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results