shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an update further to my above ramblings about a possible new lens and camera; I bought them. I got the Canon 7D Mark II, the 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM ... and a new camera strap, camera bag, extra battery, two memory cards (camera holds two different types at same time), rain sleeve, etc.

I'm climbing up the learning curve with the new set-up and don't expect to reach the summit anytime soon, if ever! :read: :lol:

I just wish the camera strap came with a manual! It looks like mountain climbing gear!

Enough talk. I'll share a few photos from my outings.

First up is probably an odd choice, but its the first time I saw a mouse while out and about.

0I5A1377.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beautiful gray squirrel who was enjoying his lunch in peace. Until, you know, I showed up. Opps!
0I5A1431.JPG 0I5A1435.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you get when you cross a Chipmunk with a Kangaroo? ;-)
0I5A1496.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow-rumped Warbler. Seriously. I wouldn't make up such a name.
First time I've ever seen this bird and didn't know what it was so took lots of photos for later identification.
0I5A4866.JPG 0I5A4783.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ta-Da! The reason for this guy's name!
0I5A4780.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor thing, he wears a crown but did he get a name reflective of his royal status? No.
0I5A4734.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something a little different.
0I5A4977.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last two for today. These were taken late in the day, under cloudy skies with intermittent rain, so not much light. Combined with me being relatively new to photography and using new gear, well, enough with the excuses, here are the photos.

Great Egret
First time seeing one! He was at the very far side of the lake, but then felt sorry for me and did a fly-by. :appl:
0I5A5299.JPG 0I5A5697.JPG

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DF - great photos! I am the world's worst photographer so I admire people who have the eye and the knowledge to get great shots. You are very talented.

We live across the road from an urban forest so we have many birds and various wildlife in very close proximity. I would love to be able to get photos like this.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF - great photos! I am the world's worst photographer so I admire people who have the eye and the knowledge to get great shots. You are very talented.

We live across the road from an urban forest so we have many birds and various wildlife in very close proximity. I would love to be able to get photos like this.

Poodles4me, thank you for your kind comment, but please don't put down your own photography skills!

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who loves seeing the variety of landscapes, birds and wildlife that are local to various PS members. An everyday landscape to some is a far away destination for others. Similarly, there are birds and wildlife posted here that I would never see in my area.

I see this thread, not as a photography thread, but as a thread for those who love nature and wildlife.

I'd love to see scenes from your area!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more before I head off.

This lovely female Mallard Duck was resting in some water than had collected as a result of melting snow and rainfall. With her wonderful camouflage, I didn't spot her right away. I took her photo and left, without disturbing her.
0I5A2162.JPG

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1120.JPG Not a great or artistic shot, but here's a regular visitor to our garden, and I just managed to grab the iPad to catch him.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0863.JPG This little chap was in the Panda Research Station in Chengdu, totally unconcerned with having his photo taken with a stupid tourist :lol:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a good photo - I use old Galaxy Note 4 so far. But in the end of November of 2016 we went to New Zealand. Saw a different world with very nice people. This photo is taken in Rotorua thermal park. The water is tri-colored. Manganum, sulfur and something else.

20161124_154341.jpg

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
Not a good photo - I use old Galaxy Note 4 so far. But in the end of November of 2016 we went to New Zealand. Saw a different world with very nice people. This photo is taken in Rotorua thermal park. The water is tri-colored. Manganum, sulfur and something else.

20161124_154341.jpg
Did you see any of the wild kune kune pigs while in New Zealand? They are a native long haired fuzzy pig, much like a happy dog. Still very new to the usa and Canada. I have a few of them at my farm! Mine are pets, not food.

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see any of the wild kune kune pigs while in New Zealand? They are a native long haired fuzzy pig, much like a happy dog. Still very new to the usa and Canada. I have a few of them at my farm! Mine are pets, not food.

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_2174.JPG
No, unfortunately, not. They look lovely, though, on your photos!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Someone enjoying the backyard wildlife. I would put out carrots and Timothy hay pellets for the cottontails during the harsh winter months.

IMG_0296.JPG

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is off my phone. Taken in the house of Henry Morrison Flagler. Flagler, ironically, is less known than Rockefeller, but he might have been the brain behind the "Standard oil". When he retired, he put his energy and money into Florida's development. Miami was only 500 people at that time.

Anyhow, his museum-house in Palm Beach is very interesting. This is a replica of the pearl necklace his wife Mary Lily was wearing. Even on her portrait, she is wearing the replica of the pearls. They were so much afraid of the thieves at that time.

20170226_125702.jpg

Sorry for poor quality of photos, reflection from double glass...

20170226_125728.jpg

Last edited:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone enjoying the backyard wildlife. I would put out carrots and Timothy hay pellets for the cottontails during the harsh winter months.

Too cute! I love that your sweet poodle is an animal lover. :))
I have also rabbit visitors in my backyard.
Good thing Austina's fox doesn't visit our yards!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Red-Winged Blackbird singing his distinctive song.
0I5A7687.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little red squirrel just hanging out in the sunshine.

0I5A7515.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another shot of the male Wood Duck.
I haven't made any adjustments to the colour of these photos; this is the actual appearance of these beautiful creatures.
0I5A8215.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little chipmunk who seems to have sniffed out something interesting.
0I5A7716.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once again, it seems I interrupted someone having a bite to eat.
0I5A7590.JPG 0I5A7591.JPG

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Too cute! I love that your sweet poodle is an animal lover. :))
I have also rabbit visitors in my backyard.
Good thing Austina's fox doesn't visit our yards!

Yes, she would be quite entertained by the activity in our yard. I still remember the first time she saw a squirrel - too funny. Unfortunately we have the cousin of Austin's fox. This is a grainy photo captured from our security camera. Red Foxes are beautiful animals, I just don't like having them hanging out in my back yard. We have 3 dogs all under 10 lbs with the smallest being only 3.5 lbs. Needless to say they are never outside unattended even for a minute. We have coyotes, foxes, raccoons, owls, hawks plus a various assortment of squirrels and birds. My neighbour said they had a woodchuk in their yard once.

Wood Ducks! I never tire of seeing these well-dressed gentlemen.
0I5A8190.JPG 0I5A8218.JPG

Oh my gosh, I've never seen ducks like this before. They're beautiful! Look at those eyes!

IMG_20170326_125112.jpg

Edited to add: I just the thread on Recommendation for Photography Book and I see you mentioned dragonflies. Do you have pictures of dragonflies you could share or are there some in this thread? I haven't gone all the way back to the beginning I have to admit.

Last edited:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, she would be quite entertained by the activity in our yard. I still remember the first time she saw a squirrel - too funny. Unfortunately we have the cousin of Austin's fox. This is a grainy photo captured from our security camera. Red Foxes are beautiful animals, I just don't like having them hanging out in my back yard. We have 3 dogs all under 10 lbs with the smallest being only 3.5 lbs. Needless to say they are never outside unattended even for a minute. We have coyotes, foxes, raccoons, owls, hawks plus a various assortment of squirrels and birds. My neighbour said they had a woodchuk in their yard once.

Oh my gosh, I've never seen ducks like this before. They're beautiful! Look at those eyes!

IMG_20170326_125112.jpg

Edited to add: I just the thread on Recommendation for Photography Book and I see you mentioned dragonflies. Do you have pictures of dragonflies you could share or are there some in this thread? I haven't gone all the way back to the beginning I have to admit.

Yes, Red Foxes are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your photo of the Red Fox! You have quite the variety of animals and birds. Wonderful! Although, yes, a safety concern for your dogs. Good thing you don't leave them unattended.

Regarding dragonflies, I posted some photos of dragonflies and damselflies on page 18. The first photo is actually at the bottom of page 17, but I've reposted it below - its my favorite. At the time, I thought they were all dragonflies, having never heard the term 'damselflies'. Lately, I've been trying to see if I can identify the ones I took photos of last summer. I'm looking forward to taking more photos of these interesting little creatures once they return this summer.

Aside from the dragonflies/damselflies on page 18, you'll see some beautiful butterfly photos taken by Madam Bijioux.

I'd like to know the name of this guy but, so far, haven't been able to identify him. I tried googling 'dragonfly that looks like he has a marshmallow in his mouth' but, surprisingly, nothing came up. :lol:

IMG_6308.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results