shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump "congratulates" wounded soldier as he awards purple heart.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ZR90_f-maxage-0.gif

Platinum-blonde

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As a daughter, and sister of Purple Heart veterans, I'm absolutely disgusted! It amazes me that he didn't learn that a Purple Heart medal isn't a trophy after his last encounter with a Purple Heart veteran...:angryfire:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why didn't he learn from the mistake he made the first time he stepped all over what The Purple Heart means? It is one thing to be ignorant, another to remain ignorant after you have been corrected once for your mistake.

AGBF

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why didn't he learn from the mistake he made the first time he stepped all over what The Purple Heart means? It is one thing to be ignorant, another to remain ignorant after you have been corrected once for your mistake.

AGBF
Exactly. It's just so freaking embarrassing. He is a joke.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No sense of ANYTHING OR ANYONE outside of himself. Truly revolting. I feel badly for anyone having the misfortune to have Chump involved in what should be a decorous event.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Celebrate the distinguished man who earned this purple heart, and stop raining on what should be a momentous occasion for he and his family. His family should be able to look back on this without having to be sucked into more Trump hatred.

Why taint his accomplishment because the President was not eloquent in his presentation. It is about Mr. Barrientos, no one else. So stop using him as a pawn to further your cause.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Celebrate the distinguished man who earned this purple heart, and stop raining on what should be a momentous occasion for he and his family. His family should be able to look back on this without having to be sucked into more Trump hatred.

Why taint his accomplishment because the President was not eloquent in his presentation. It is about Mr. Barrientos, no one else. So stop using him as a pawn to further your cause.

We aren't using him as a pawn to further our cause- TRUMP is. Here is how you give someone a purple heart as the commander in chief:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2011/10/11/nr-lawrence-obama-purple-heart-hospital.cnn

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He said "Congratulations." "Tremendous" to someone who LOST A LIMB. That's hardly "not eloquent," it's downright IGNORANT.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He said "Congratulations." "Tremendous" to someone who LOST A LIMB. That's hardly "not eloquent," it's downright IGNORANT.
Stop raining on his parade and focus on his accomplishments. Unless he gets into a prestigious college of course, then by all means have a field day.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
That's the beauty of not thinking before you speak. You know, like those calculated elitists with their silly educations and words. Preparing and paying attention to details and all that.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby-

I am being honest: if I were the soldier who had lost a leg, I would be glad that people were criticizing how the president had treated me. ANY president of either party who had been gauche enough to say what Trump said to (me). I would feel that at least some people understood the magnitude of my sacrifice.

Yes, I would criticize even my favorite president, Jimmy Carter, if he did what Trump did.

Deb

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Stop raining on his parade and focus on his accomplishments. Unless he gets into a prestigious college of course, then by all means have a field day.

This is how he earned it -

Barrientos was injured in Afghanistan on March 17 when an Afghan soldier opened fire inside a base in Helmand province, wounding three U.S. soldiers. Barrientos's right leg was amputated, according to a White House official.

A bigger question would be how did John Kerry earn one?

People talk about the fact the just being white gives us privilege. And that is why we need to make it a more even playing field for minorities Well this young lady also has privilege. She did not need this letter to put her at an even bigger advantage.

Oh, in case anyone is checking - Trump stayed in DC this weekend.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
ruby-

I am being honest: if I were the soldier who had lost a leg, I would be glad that people were criticizing how the president had treated me. ANY president of either party who had been gauche enough to say what Trump said to (me). I would feel that at least some people understood the magnitude of my sacrifice.

Yes, I would criticize even my favorite president, Jimmy Carter, if he did what Trump did.

Deb

Military men are fiercely loyal, especially to their commander in chief. I do not know this man, but I would guess he would have preferred he had been bestowed the honor without all the side drama.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy, the "If you want to talk about white privilege..." train just pulled into the station.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
First off - just pet parent to pet parent, did you see my Mittens.

Second, I never said Trump was eloquent or used the right words for this occasion. Hardly. If anyone could use a finishing school he does.

My point is that i would rather google and read about this outstanding man's unselfish giving to his country and not have the article tainted about Trump.

And no you do not have to be white to have privilege.

And you can be white and not have it.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
All it means is you are not capable of having a conversation without getting nasty. A few posters on here have the same problem whenever you disagree with them.

But that is your problem, not mine as this conversation and others like it are taking place in the real world.

But to leave you with something.

I am white. Light colored hair and eyes. I was hired in 1979 at my first job in an" old boys" insurance company. My first and last name are ambiguous .

Shortly after, my mom gave me a Jewish Star and Chai as a congratulations gift. I promptly put it on.

Next day, I heard comments "I did not know she was Jewish."

You think I would have gotten the job if I had worn them on my interview.

So yes I am white. I now even had an Italian last name.

But the only way I will have "white privilege" in every place I may decide to go is if I hide who I really am.

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All that means is you truly refuse to acknowledge what your privilege is. If you truly respect and admire lovedog's education and credentials as you were falling all over yourself to praise recently, I'd think you'd at least be a little interested in her perspective about why your willful ignorance about it makes her so angry.

Or do you truly equate every struggle of every POC with you being Jewish. A lot of us have to tap dance around your obvious disdain/ideas about what "privilege" is and which groups you think have it to avoid the ban-hammer but you know exactly what people are getting at.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
All that means is you truly refuse to acknowledge what your privilege is. If you truly respect and admire lovedog's education and credentials as you were falling all over yourself about recently, I'd think you'd at least be a little interested in her perspective about why your willful ignorance about it makes her so angry.

That is a 2 way street. I might not have her education and credentials but I have experienced a lot from just being on this Earth for 57+ years. Experience does count.

And I am able to do it without resorting to name calling or derogatory comments.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup there you go, hitting "reply" with absolutely no hope of devoting 5 seconds to critical thinking.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Elliot, I have tried with you. Probably even more than I would have done with someone else because I admired your strength in finding a better life for you and your children. I even tried to forge an understanding based on our love of cats.

But you have not been anything but nasty to me and it seems to be getting more toxic with each of your subsequent posts.

I am done.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot, I have tried with you. Probably even more than I would have done with someone else because I admired your strength in finding a better life for you and your children. I even tried to forge an understanding based on our love of cats.

But you have not been anything but nasty to me and it seems to be getting more toxic with each of your subsequent posts.

I am done.
"I am done." has absolutely no meaning if you say it daily. So many people try to pull you out of your toxic posting pattern to no avail. I really don't care to discuss cats or anything else with you, especially given your judgmental views on women in abusive situations, but I do hope if your daughter is pursuing what you say she is, you at least would try for her.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is why it seems inappropriate to me:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/us/politics/donald-trump-draft-record.html?_r=0

Donald Trump had five draft deferments.

He has no right to say "when I heard about it, I wanted to do it myself". He had five chances. Instead, Donald Trump beat the draft five times, four for college, one for bad feet that somehow healed themselves later.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
ruby-

Deb

Whoa off topic, but Deb, your favorite President is Carter? Don't think I've ever heard anyone say that.
Long ago read his autobiography and really admired his Christian faith. He is pretty old now, so don't know if he still does, but he taught a Sunday School class for many, many years. The class had many visitors because he was a former President. I would have loved to attend. I also admired Bush (W) for his faith.
Didn't agree with Carter policy-wise, however, and thought Bush made many mistakes. Because of my admiration for those two on a personal level, I get how many feel about Obama, while choosing to vote against continuing his policies under Clinton.
Don't recall where I read it, but, unlike W, Carter wasn't so popular with the WH staff/secret service. The only thing specific I recall is that he pretended to carry his own bags, but only for the cameras. It was part of his "every man" persona. But who knows? We weren't there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results