shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique diamonds ? Help!

Carla222

Rough_Rock
Hiya
My grandmother left me a ring im looking to find out abit about the history of the diamonds as they are very unusual.
I have been told a few different things about the ring one being its from around the 16c i havent actually had it valued yet.
The band and the cup are from my grandmothers wedding ring as the orignial broke it was so old. Any help would be fab thanks guys looking to see some history and some estimates on its worth maybe.

20170322_093413.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will need to post more photos if anyone is going to be able to help you - try taking pictures face on and close up (in focus!) so the facet pattern can be discerned. If you have a macro lens or a loupe, that would make getting a close up much much easier.
Estimating worth is probably better done by an appraiser who understands antique stones and won't simply value it for how much of modern cut could be created out of the diamond. There is a list of PS recommended appraisers on this site so have a look and see if you can find one near to you who could have a good look and give you some idea of the specs and value.
It certainly looks like it's got a huge pillowy crown on it from this profile but it's hard to tell where the stone starts and the ring stops. Are there smaller diamonds surrounding the centre one?

Carla222

Rough_Rock
You will need to post more photos if anyone is going to be able to help you - try taking pictures face on and close up (in focus!) so the facet pattern can be discerned. If you have a macro lens or a loupe, that would make getting a close up much much easier.
Estimating worth is probably better done by an appraiser who understands antique stones and won't simply value it for how much of modern cut could be created out of the diamond. There is a list of PS recommended appraisers on this site so have a look and see if you can find one near to you who could have a good look and give you some idea of the specs and value.
It certainly looks like it's got a huge pillowy crown on it from this profile but it's hard to tell where the stone starts and the ring stops. Are there smaller diamonds surrounding the centre one?

20170322_093401.jpg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It certainly does look pretty old, judging by the cuts on the diamonds- the central one and a couple of the surrounding ones look like rose cuts, no idea about the others! An appraisal would be a very good idea, it will be really interesting to hear what's said.

Diamondless

Rough_Rock
The top could be Georgian/Victorian based on the rose cuts set in, what I am assuming, is silver. It won't be worth as much without the original band unfortunately.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results