shape
carat
color
clarity

Are zircons blurry in real life?

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey all, I am considering buying this zircon, it's just under 7 carats. I have never seen a zircon in real life before though, I was wondering if this is going to look blurry? Or does the double refraction only make them look blurry in photos?

Regards,
Matt

IMG_1573.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the double refraction is only visible under a loupe. Zircon, in particular white clean zircon that is well cut like the one in the photo, are beautiful brilliant gems due to their high RI.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They mainly look insanely sparkly irl. I guess if you held it really still and looked super closely it might look blurry, but I've never noticed it except in pictures.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that zircons need to be faceted at certain angles to minimize the double refraction and avoid a fuzzy appearance. Not saying that is the case with this stone but I've noticed the effect in some blue zircons if I look for it. But I agree that well cut zircons are both beautiful and brilliant.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It depends on the axis of the stone that is perpendicular to the table. In photos the double refraction is normally more apparent than to the naked eye, but at times to the eye it is also very apparent, it really depends on the size of the facets, the size of the stone, and what axis the stone is cut on.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I absolutely see them as blurry and lacking crisp facets, because of the double refraction. I was hoping this wouldn't be the case in person, but it was. Looking into them makes me feel a little nauseated, actually.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rarely with the naked eye, but it is possible.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got a few Zircons and have never noticed the double refraction in real life, only if I really look closely under a loupe... I like the one you posted - I hope you get it! :dance:

bianka

Rough_Rock
If I'm not mistaken the stone you posted is from Jeff Davies. Much as I admire his cutting, his photography is known to be overly flattering / less than true to life in many cases. He has many photographs of nonblurry zircons and I suspect that IRL this one may in fact be blurred. I would suggest asking for more photos / details /vids.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple of 7ct+ zircons where DR is observed with the naked eye, but I can't see it in stones smaller than that.

I think you're probably ok. Might just be a blurry picture.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello All :wavey:

I will agree with Arcadia in the respect that large gems over 10mm in width will show the doubling of the culet and main pavilion facets. I cut well over 200 zircons a year and that is why I put the "zircon" cut/culet as it help minimize the doubling appearance in the culet area to the naked eye.
But generally gems in the 4 to 7mm range do not reveal this characteristic to the unaided eye.

They sure are lovely gems and much under-rated in optical performance... They do tend to black out in direct sunlight; but not many people stay in direct sun all the time:roll:... sooooo it makes a very attractive jewelry gem with a little brittleness but as mentioned before it is not an everyday colored gem for a ring...

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an emerald cut zircon that I purchased from Jeff and I found his photos and video very accurate and his customer service is great. I don't see the stone get blurry at all. However I found this stone only after some trial and error with different zircons. I realize now I don't like the mixed cut zircons in ovals (which have lots of facets) -- those I find blurry.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Like I said before, it's really a matter of what axis you cut the stone on. But actually, I always liked the double image in zircons, added interest to the stone.

Jopdrop

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey guys, thank you all so much for the help, I have decided to pass on the zircon. I would really like to find a nice mahenge spinel first I think, so I am going to save the money for that.

I do have a few other stones coming from Jeff though so I will post those when they arrive.

I would like a larger emerald cut zircon in the future though so this advice will help me out a lot then. I think I would like a light brown colour though. I am afraid if I go with a white one people will think I am trying to pass it off as a diamond or assume it is a CZ.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results