shape
carat
color
clarity

Please look at my GIA cert. Just bought

phix90

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Getting ready to pop the question and gf told me she wanted a round cut diamond with "a lot of shine" I went with this 2.0ct 3x Excellent VS1 I color GIA certified.

Anyone have any thoughts on the GIA cert measurements affecting everyday lighting hitting the diamond? i.e. table and depth?

I spent $17,800 for this stone

Thanks

Attachments

• _95.pdf
    725.2 KB · Views: 135

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
I just plugged in the numbers from your gia to the HCA and it shows 4.3 not a good diamond to reflect light.
The proportions are off. Did you like the diamond when you saw it? Can you return it, I am sure people here can find you a much better diamond that will have a much better cut and cut is king and is what reflects light. What is their return policy?

phix90

Rough_Rock
Madison2|1426377081|3847301 said:
I just plugged in the numbers from your gia to the HCA and it shows 4.3 not a good diamond to reflect light.
The proportions are off. Did you like the diamond when you saw it? Can you return it, I am sure people here can find you a much better diamond that will have a much better cut and cut is king and is what reflects light. What is their return policy?

I thought it had a nice sparkle to it. I was confused a bit because I made sure I had an "Ideal cut" which is obv considered "excellent" on GIA certs, but withint at range I understand there are subsets of "better excellent -> worse excellent"

But shouldn't anyone without any diamond knowledge look at this ring on the street and say "wow" to the bling bling shininess factor since it is an ideal cut 3x excellent (cut, polish, sym) or am I just wrong.

Yes I have 30 days to return (no questions asked) which started today. Just found this website which I should have researched previously. I did a fair amount of homework in the months leading up to this purchase, but this whole measurement thing is outside of the general "C's" knowledge for the average guy.

Thanks for the reply

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
phix90|1426377362|3847304 said:

I thought it had a nice sparkle to it. I was confused a bit because I made sure I had an "Ideal cut" which is obv considered "excellent" on GIA certs, but withint at range I understand there are subsets of "better excellent -> worse excellent"

But shoudn't anyone without any diamond knowledge look at this ring on the street and say "wow" to the bling bling shininess factor?

Yes I have 30 days to return which started today. Just found this website.

Thanks for the reply

Just because the gia certificate states ideal cut does not mean the diamond will reflect light at all angles. I find that In round brilliant diamonds in order to maximize light coming in from all angles the table, depth, pavilion and crown angle should be within certain numbers. I recently saw an ideal diamond a couple weeks ago and it did not sparkle in normal lighting, in the store it did but in the natural daylight it did not.
I think you can do better. If you want to wow her, I would not present her with this diamond as the table is too large and angles are way off.

phix90

Rough_Rock
Madison2|1426377849|3847310 said:
phix90|1426377362|3847304 said:

But shoudn't anyone without any diamond knowledge look at this ring on the street and say "wow" to the bling bling shininess factor?

Yes I have 30 days to return which started today. Just found this website.

Thanks for the reply

Just because the gia certificate states ideal cut does not mean the diamond will reflect light at all angles. I find that In round brilliant diamonds in order to maximize light coming in from all angles the table, depth, pavilion and crown angle should be within certain numbers. I recently saw an ideal diamond a couple weeks ago and it did not sparkle in normal lighting, in the store it did but in the natural daylight it did not.
I think you can do better. If you want to wow her, I would not present her with this diamond as the table is too large and angles are way off.

oh crap....for $17,800 I want something that wows. I mean I spent all this money and there's a possibility your saying this wont sparkle well in direct sunlight. Ouch.

HELP :blackeye:

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
First thing you have to do is stay calm. You have a good return policy so no problem there.
Did you buy the diamond from a Pricescope Vendor? Or Brick & Mortar store near you? We can find you a better diamond and you can ask for images that show how well the diamond will reflect light. So just be patient, I am sure some other members here will chime in and help find you a better diamond. I am heading out to dinner now with hubby so don't have time to search for you but like I said don't worry you have good return policy and we can find something better for you to buy for her.

phix90

Rough_Rock
Madison2|1426378406|3847315 said:
First thing you have to do is stay calm. You have a good return policy so no problem there.
Did you buy the diamond from a Pricescope Vendor? Or Brick & Mortar store near you? We can find you a better diamond and you can ask for images that show how well the diamond will reflect light. So just be patient, I am sure some other members here will chime in and help find you a better diamond. I am heading out to dinner now with hubby so don't have time to search for you but like I said don't worry you have good return policy and we can find something better for you to buy for her.

Thank you very much. Well after looking in Manhattan with some colleagues at work who had guys in this business I just didn't like what they were pushing for the price. I went onto Ritani and searched for a week until this diamond presented itself which I obv purchased. It was tax free and a 1.5% discount for wire transfer. Tax free was nice, but no one pays taxes on these in the city anyway.

Ok enjoy your evening. Thanks

phix90

Rough_Rock
Chihuahua6|1426388641|3847375 said:
I did a quick search for you and came up with this one from Whiteflash. They have a few more but this was the biggest in your price range. Trust me it will look bigger than the one you bought and much much brighter. It's 1.88 carats for $17,491.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3265546.htm#

Appreciate that, but she wants GIA certified only (girl thing) Also I made the mistake of promising 2.0ct which now she wants. She does deserve it though never asked me for anything and I get dinner on the table 5 nights a week when I come home from work. Cant beat that!

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I would recommend researching AGS headings before writing them off. Also, The diamond diamond ions you posted were 8.06X8.09 and the recommended diamond is 7.96x8.0. The eye will not be able to tell a difference in size between the two. Also, you will hear that diamond cutters may (and I say may) compromise the cut to get to get to the magic 2 carat mark and be able to charge more. In the grand scheme, you are better off going better cut than magic 2.0. That said, what are your parameters and the folks here will help you find another stone.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
phix90|1426389520|3847380 said:
Chihuahua6|1426388641|3847375 said:
I did a quick search for you and came up with this one from Whiteflash. They have a few more but this was the biggest in your price range. Trust me it will look bigger than the one you bought and much much brighter. It's 1.88 carats for $17,491.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3265546.htm#

Appreciate that, but she wants GIA certified only (girl thing) Also I made the mistake of promising 2.0ct which now she wants. She does deserve it though never asked me for anything and I get dinner on the table 5 nights a week when I come home from work. Cant beat that!

Many people here would choose AGS above GIA for round brilliants. Is it possible that you two could research here together?
Also, if you buy from a trusted vendor on Pricescope you will get a better deal. Some of the vendors, like Whiteflash, offer hand-picked stones that are the best cut. The best cut diamond lights up in all lighting situations and is always "on". If you buy from a store you will need to look at the stone outside, in sun, in shadow, in darker corners. The store lights make everything look great.

edit: also, hitting that 2 carat make you will pay a substantial premium. Shop by millimeters, not carat weight. Sometimes a stone just under 2 carats will be larger!

kkcat

Rough_Rock
Did you go to Ritani on 47th street?
I have been there before, the guy tried to sell my stones with 3.0+ HCA scores. They did sparkle there but not as nice as other stones I saw afterwards in other stores ;-)
Check out Good old gold.

Good luck!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
She does deserve it though never asked me for anything and I get dinner on the table 5 nights a week when I come home from work. Cant beat that!

I imagine she might hope you see more value in her than merely as a cook and server.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Travelgal|1426402135|3847445 said:
Also, you will hear that diamond cutters may (and I say may) compromise the cut to get to get to the magic 2 carat mark and be able to charge more. In the grand scheme, you are better off going better cut than magic 2.0.

As a trade member I cannot comment on the diamond you have posted - nor any other offered, but I want to elaborate on the point made here by Travelgal.

Look at this chart which shows light returned to the viewer's eye (indicated in Red on an Ideal-Scope).

using_is_reference_chart_72.jpg

The concept that is illustrated here is important. A person can show you two diamonds next to each other and ask which is larger. When you look at them, the answer is obvious - X is obviously larger than Y. They will then go on to tell you they are of equal size (and color and clarity).

You will say that is impossible.

Then, they can take a bright handheld LED light and place it directly on the diamonds. Under intense, blinding light you realize they are, indeed identically sized - but why do they look different in 'normal' conditions?

When that intense, direct light is removed and the diamonds return to 'normal' room lighting conditions, or sun-light, the diamond with the poorer cut again looks significantly smaller.

Review the chart above which demonstrates light return from Excellent to Very Poor going left to right.

Remember the light return is reflected as red in these examples - so the 'outer-rim' of red is what the viewer will see as the perimeter of the diamond.

This is why a well-cut 1.8 carat diamond may, indeed, look larger than a poorly cut 2 carat diamond.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1426447076|3847650 said:
She does deserve it though never asked me for anything and I get dinner on the table 5 nights a week when I come home from work. Cant beat that!

I imagine she might hope you see more value in her than merely as a cook and server.

Great addition. I'm sure it will help the OP find the beautiful diamond for the woman he loves, for MANY reasons I am sure; even if he didn't take the time to list them ALL here for the PS community to critique.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Yes 60 inch table and 61.5 depth...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results