shape
carat
color
clarity

New York Diamond Shopping

What do you think would be the best option?

• Halo using small pt. stones

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Solitaire

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

susiecee

Rough_Rock
Hi PS!!
I've been lurking since last year when my bf first took me ring shopping. We've now booked flights from California to New York to look and hopefully buy a diamond and ring setting there.

I did want some advice and questions about how I should go about things. I've done some good enough research already and have some ideas. So here it goes.

What I Am Looking For
I am currently going in between either doing a halo or a solitaire.
Pave on the side of the band
RB diamond 1.8-2ct

At first, I wanted the halo, but as time had passed I felt worried that this trend my pass and I may no longer be interested in my setting in the long run (and I don't want to have to upgrade/change in the future), so I started looking at solitaires and have found one still I love, but still torn because I like the extra sparkle the halo gives (and size)!

Additional concerns:
- If I get a halo, I don't want the pt of diamonds to be too big OR see a lot of metals
- If I do a solitaire I don't want the bucket diamonds to be big either or see too much metal

BUDGET:
$15,000 for stone + setting

My Current Plan

1. Go to Harry Winston NY and see The One in person since the halo is said to be very delicate. Maybe I was hoping this would help to give me some reassurance if the halo wasn't too big that it will still be beautiful and loved (by me) as continue to passes. I still think halos are beautiful and had followed the threads for frankiextahs!!! Just worried about the long term feeling.

2. Go to Lauren B Jewelers (has anyone heard of them and have personal experience with them?)
I found them on instagram at instagram.com/LAURENBJEWELRY and that's when I started falling in love with some of their stuff. I think being able to see live photos and the rings in motion really helped to show it's quality and sparkle more.

Granted, for some of the stones I do feel like it looked "blue" and not sure if that's just me or the camera?

Regardless, I'm interested in this setting, which is similar to Steven Krisch Presioa (but over my budget):
http://instagram.com/p/ti_EI4pGmS/?modal=true

3. Check out Jangmi Jewelers (also good reviews on Yelp & apparently pricing too)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jangmi-jewelry-new-york-2?osq=jangmi+jewelers

MDC DIamonds - but there wasn't a lot of reviews on this, but they provided good quotes for the setting & answered my emails
http://mdcdiamonds.com/engagementdetails.cfm?Stock=ES298&Country=US#

Eternity by Yoni to check out their Madison which is HW inspired & currently waiting on quote for a custom ring like the SK Presioa - I know that some people had used Yoni on PS too
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/

MY QUESTIONS FOR PS-ers
1. Do you think my plan is good? I'd really like to get a place selected in the first day so that we can enjoy our trip in NY. We are only there for 4 days. Do you think we will need more time and that I should try to do 2 (3,4) days of searching?
2. What are your thoughts on the quality of the setting for Lauren B?
3. Do you think I should do halo or a solitaire considering my concerns?
4. If not LaurenB, do you think Jangmi would be able to do quality settings and MORE IMPORTANTLY, how can you distinguish if a vendor can create you a good setting? I think this is the scariest for me because if I have something custom made, how would I know the store would be able to do a good job with the details?

I just don't want to be overwhelmed when I get there and try to narrow places that are good and affordable.

_25149.jpg

_25150.jpg

lil2181

Rough_Rock
Hi Susie,

I really think you should skip Jangmi. I went there a month ago, and I really don't think they offer good prices. Ms. Kim showed me two round brilliant stones. One with a crown angle of 32, and one with a pavillion angle of 42, and kept saying these two diamonds were fantastic, and she was offering me the best price. Honestly her prices were really marked up considering I just looked at similar diamonds at ID Jewelry and at Brilliantly Engaged. I found both ID Jewelry and Brilliantly Engaged to have competitive prices, and they can also bring in any James Allen diamonds for you to see in person. In terms of settings I think ID Jewelry had a bit more than Brilliantly Engaged, and the prices for both places were reasonable. I hope this helps.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go to Brilliantly Engaged. Make an appointment before you go. You'll be happy you did.

susiecee

Rough_Rock
Thanks Gypsy and Lil2181! I already contacted them last night and have been waiting for a response on a quote for one of their settings. Once they get back to me I'll be sure to set an appointment!

On a side note, they have a lovely site!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree go to Brilliantly Engaged (they also make wonderful settings) or IDJ who have found some wonderful deals for people on tight budgets for the stone and Brilliantly Engaged for the setting. To get a decent diamond that size realistically you will not have the budget left over for a halo something has to give. But a decent well cut centre diamond to begin with, put it into a simple setting and then later on for an anniversary or special occasion if you still love halos buy that in the future.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are already in CA, why don't you visit Victor Canera in LA?

I am sure glad I did! :)

Victor can make this with double prongs like Steven kirsch's. Maybe you already asked for a price but it was less than I anticipated.

Just saying...

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot speak to NY vendors, but just wondering -- are you planning a trip to NY just to see/buy rings or is this a trip you would take anyway? Is stuff really that much cheaper on the east coast that it is worth adding the cost of the trip to the cost of the ring (last I checked I could get some nice bling for the cost of a few nights in an NYC hotel)? Just curious -- I don't know much about what stuff costs in CA.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were to go to NY GOG would be my first stop... ;))

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1418397551|3800059 said:
If I were to go to NY GOG would be my first stop... ;))

I understand that you want to go to HarryWinston to see the one....Fine after that. Do not over whelm yourself with the other stores you have listed.

I agree with several of the other posters.

Go to Long Island, and see GOG call and make appointment either GOG or IDJ is where you should get both the stone and the setting. GOG will be more relaxing and Jonathon and staff will be able to spoend time in a nice store ambiance.

IDJ is equally great the only downside is you are standing at a booth on 47th. 47th street can be extremely overwhelming and intimidating and you endd up making a mistake when you see something in a window and walk in.

We here trust IDJ and ERD (whih has an office upstairs from 47th for handmade settings only.) But for luxurious shopping GOG is your guy

I would have discussions with both GOG and IRD before you go so they know what you are looking at. They both will be able to get most settings that you are interested in..

The biggest problem again is getting side tracks and to spend your time wisely. Go see your inspiration and then work with one of these two local dealers.

PS GET YOUR DIAMOND FIRST BEFORE DECIDING on your setting you might find an unbelievable stsone and put it in solitaire and upgrade later. From experience buy the quality stone first setting second. You can always find $2000 -3000 later on for a settting but it will be hard to find $12000 for an upgrade once life find you .

There are 2-3 other terrific PS trae people in NYC others can chime in but I think that GOG and ERD is your way to go. Quality , Size et al.

mustangsally

Rough_Rock
I'd definitely support the IDJ recommendation as I had a great experience there recently. Just to add, they have now moved from the booth to an office above 47th street.

susiecee

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for all your input!!

Right now, here is what I will be doing based on the reviews:
1. Harry Winston - check out the inspiration. Try it on. See if halo is what I really want. I've tried on other halos and have always liked them, but worry about the appeal in years. I will most likely not end up getting the halo for budgeting reasons (I want my stone to be good quality still)
2. Go to Lauren B to see their settings and stones -appointment set.
3. Brilliantly Engaged, GOG, ID have been contacted for appointments already and waiting to hear back from them.

I'm pretty set now on the solitaire as this will give me some more money towards a higher quality stone.

Regarding why we're going to NY:
It's tax free for us and we also felt like it could be a mini vacation for us as well. I just feel like the quality and standard in NY was different. I went to LA Jewelry District and was just overwhelmed by poor quality booths, service, and diamonds so it made it hard. I feel like I've seen more information here on PS regarding NY stores. :)

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
GOG is on Long Island, not in NYC
I second the opinion on Brilliantly Engaged, I worked with Chris, so did Momhappy, you can see our threads.
If you are doing "window shopping" at Harry Winston who is on 5th Ave, go to Tiffany's which is diagonally across the street and look at the Tiffany Embrace, then walk down 5th Ave to Cartier and look at the Cartier Destiny, this will give you some great ideas on halos.
Also do not buy from the vendors on the street level on 47th St, good place to "look", not buy, they are sharks.
Best of luck.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you! You will be in great hands at Brilliantly Engaged. I worked with Chris and he was great to work with!

I second the recommendation of LLJsmom to contact Victor Canera since you are in LA!! He made a fabulous ring for her. Victor is about to make a setting for me as well: it will be my 3rd project with Victor. His work is fabulous and he is very nice to work with.

islandmouse

Rough_Rock
Hi susiecee,

I just wanted to second what some other people have said here. I am a NY native and have been diamond shopping the last 7-8 months. I went to a ton of places in the Diamond District, including both Lauren B and Jangmai. I visited both when I was more of a newbie and hadn't done a lot of research. I was drawn to Jangmai because of its 5-star (or near 5-star) Yelp reviews. I honestly would not recommend them. They are very pro-round and, as I've heard from others and also experienced myself, they will try to discourage you from buying fancy shapes.

After several months of research, I can also say that their prices are not that great. I'm about to buy a stone with much better specs than what Jangmai wanted about $7k more for. I would recommend working with ID Jewelers or Brilliantly Engaged. My friend just bought a diamond at IDJ and had a fantastic experience. I've been working with both IDJ and BE the last few months and have had positive experiences with both.

I also grew up in the GOG area and remember GOG back in the day when it was in a flea market (25 years ago). Don't let that scare you. They're an extremely reputable retailer and have grown significantly. They have amazing jewelry. My mom, grandmother, aunt, etc. all went there for many years. You really can't go wrong with any of the names recommended on PS.

JackDaniels

Rough_Rock
heididdl|1418398231|3800062 said:
IDJ is equally great the only downside is you are standing at a booth on 47th. 47th street can be extremely overwhelming and intimidating and you endd up making a mistake when you see something in a window and walk in.

We here trust IDJ and ERD (whih has an office upstairs from 47th for handmade settings only.) But for luxurious shopping GOG is your guy

Just to be clear - IDJ is now in a 3rd floor office above 47th street, so no worries regarding what comes along with shopping at a booth right off the street. Regardless of where you purchase the stone, it's definitely worth taking the time to visit.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
JackDaniels|1418513595|3800748 said:
heididdl|1418398231|3800062 said:

Just to be clear - IDJ is now in a 3rd floor office above 47th street, so no worries regarding what comes along with shopping at a booth right off the street. Regardless of where you purchase the stone, it's definitely worth taking the time to visit.

Thanks i was there last year before the move. But I am hope to get back in Janauary to get my earring jackets thanks for update.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results