shape
carat
color
clarity

I just do not get it , please somebody explain it to me plzz

babakohlala

Rough_Rock
Ok guys could you please explain it to me :

I know that clarity enhanced Diamonds are not recommended but would you please look at this ring :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361140392395?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know also that you guys do not like eBay but I'm looking to get my girl a descent ring for the last few weeks and
My brain will explode if it goes like this.

The ring above was sold for 620$ , the eBay seller has almost 100% ratings , I verified all the feedback, they are real items
Real people and it seem that they are happy.

Here is the thing : I visited every single jewelry in Montreal, the exact same ring if its clarity enhanced is at least 3000$
If its not treated at least 10000$ (Birks Jewelry).
What is going on ? Am I missing sth?

Again I know that if the stone is CE it can be damaged or whatsoever during repair with heat or with acid contact or etch.
But visually they look the same .

I just do not get it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I just do not get it , please somebody explain it to me

I've never heard of GIE lab but that diamond doesn't even look like a G colour in the video. The vendor didn't even bother to post a picture of the actual GIE report either, but a stock sample picture, so how would I know the diamond is what they claim it is? I also do not find the eBay feedback to be accurate as the seller can pay "customers" to write raving reviews or negotiate with the customer to remove a negative review. I find Toolhaus to be a better indication of vendor feedback.

babakohlala

Rough_Rock

I understand what are you saying but the point is if you sell crap you should get crappy feedbacks, you can
Negotiate with one ,2 or 10 customers not everyone , you can not pay 200 people in one month to sell one ring
lets imagine the grading is not accurate

Lets say he advertise it as G VS2 BUT It's I SI2 , EVEN with a CE Diamond you get a good deal on 620$
You see my point ? It just does not make sense with other online websites.

Something is missing here , an expert please tell me why there is a 1200% gap?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do not check out diamonds on eBay but there's plenty of shady stuff going on with coloured stones on eBay and many these vendors are still in business with great reviews (crappy stones, undisclosed treatment, photoshopped pictures, picture theft, etc). Perhaps the buyers don't care or are not aware that they are ripped off because it is so cheap?

babakohlala

Rough_Rock

I again get your point but I mean , somebody like me , I'm not a diamond expert , I'm an engineer
I do not know diamonds so even if I buy it from BIRKS In Montreal , I'm gonna appraise it after just to be sure that I just
Paid a fair price , what I wanna say is that if I buy a one carat diamond for 600$ , I'm gonna show it to 100 experts to
Understand what's going on :wall:

But it seems people are happy with what they got and that's what I do not get

God its confusing :wall:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There's a difference between something that costs $600 and something that costs $6,000. People who want and can afford something that is $6,000 aren't buying and leaving feedback for diamond rings on eBay that cost $600.

babakohlala

Rough_Rock

Dude do not get it personal

I'm looking for a reason , I'm trying to understand something that does not make sense

I guess we are not kids here or I'm mistaken , I understand why a Ferrari is 400000 dollar but I do not understand if I see somebody
Who bought a Ferrari for 40000 and he is very satisfied , something is missing here

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not getting personal.

When people buy things, they are happy when they feel like they got their "money's worth." If you bought a car and you paid X$ and you felt happy with it... and then next week your buddy buys the upgraded model of the same car but still paid X$ then you might feel unhappy, you might feel ripped off.

You knew there were better cars on the market, but you figured the one you bought was the best you could do for the price, so you were happy.

It was only once you knew that you could have gotten more for the same price, you might not be as happy.

People who want to spend $600 on an engagement ring look around at the other options on the market, and if they figure this is the most splash for the cash that they can get, they will be happy.

babakohlala

Rough_Rock

God :wall:

You do not get my point :
look at this one :
https://www.hadardiamonds.com/1-ct-round-brilliant-diamond-153377.html

This is also a CE Diamond it costs 3 times more than the other one and they are almost the same
The eBay's one is even advertised better , I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE PRICE DIFFERENCES

EXPLAIN IT IN SCIENTIFIC WORDS IF YOU KNOW , IF YOU DO NOT JUST LEAVE IT

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The eBay diamond looks very yellow, so I highly doubt it is a true G colour. If the colour grading is off, it is likely that the clarity grading is also off. Perhaps for $600, people don't really care because it is a diamond and that's all that matters to them. For others, they would like something that is whiter and better cut (more sparkly), and therefore are willing to pay more for that.

Not all labs are of the same calibre and some labs are more stringent than others. One lab might grade a diamond as G VS1 but another lab might grade that same diamond as M SI2. A person might buy a looser lab graded G VS1 thinking it's a better deal but doesn't understand that it's not really a deal because it is actually closer to a M SI2.

This has little to nothing to do with science but marketing, sales tactics and the honesty/integrity of the seller coupled with the lack of education of the buyer.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

it doesnt cost 6k...appraisals are ALWAYS inflated. Do you even know what type of clarity enhancement the stone has? This makes a big difference if the stone will basically fall apart the first time it's banged. Also they didn't even give you a color grade, they gave u a range. There is no cut listed (that i can see). It will probably be a lifeless gray stone. You get what you pay for in diamonds, there are no deals. And the GIE lab is probably a sham lab. The diamond most likely won't be the characteristics they listed.

You are looking for an answer but you are on a diamond enthusiast site who are "cut nuts" and prefer the sparkle, scintillation, fire over size and crap cut stones. If you feel like you got a "deal" and you are happy with it, thats all that matters. You are right that not everyone is a diamond expert and quality isn't important to everyone...so as long as the purchase is mind clean for you, thats all that matters! If you have a return policy you can check it out and return it if you don't like it.

ETA: chrono said it very eloquently.

babakohlala

Rough_Rock

I DID NOT SAY THAT I'M IN LOVE WITH EBAY OR I FOUND A DEAL

I'M ASKING THE DIAMONDS ENTHUSIASTS AND EXPERTS TO EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THERE IS A 350% DIFFERENCE FOR ALMOST SAME STONES
READ ALL THE COMMENTS GENIUS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are not almost the same. In fact, they look very different to me, hence the huge difference in pricing. Perhaps if they look the same to you, then the eBay type stone might suit you better? I have explained the reasons why there is an apparent price dependency; can you please elaborate on which part you need more clarification on?

I'd also like to request that you refrain from "shouting" at us. We are all volunteers and are not paid for our time to assist others here. The tone of your replies are very off-putting and discourages others from helping you.

babakohlala

Rough_Rock

THANKS CHRONO FOR THE REPLY , GUESS YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO GET MY POINT

WOULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO STONES ?

OF COURSE THEY LOOK THE SAME FOR ME , CAUSE IM NOT AN EXPERT AND THATS WHY IM HERE

I'M SORRY FOR MY TONE , BUT YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO WROTE REASONABLE STUFFS, DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYBODY
IT JUST FRUSTRATESME NOT TO UNDERSTAND STH

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Say you want to buy a top of the line Porche. Someone has a used one and tells you it is the one you are looking for. How do you know? Do you take his word for it? or do you go to a mechanic and ask him? O.K. now which mechanic? The one who works on and specializes in Chevy's.? or do you take it to a Porche mechanic who knows what he is doing? Because there is a big difference between the performance and the cost of a Chevy and A Porche. The same is true of diamonds. They are not all created alike. Some are better cut. Some are better color. Some are better clarity. The same is true of diamonds. If you have a beautiful diamond that performs well and you are selling it you want to get what you know it is worth. If on the other hand it has flaws you know you cannot get as much and will sell it for less. Just like cars not all diamond are created or priced equal. You get what you pay for

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The fact is, there is not enough information for you to know if a stone is worth its asking price.

1. No GIA report, or report from other reputable lab, means you have no idea if it is an E VS2, an I SI2, or a L I1. BTW, a REPUTABLE place will always report the pre-treatment clarity grade, and it is usually I1/I2 before enhancement (what the stone's price should be based on.) If the post-treatment clarity grade is listed, usually SI1 or above, then it should CLEARLY be noted as post-treatment.

2. No treatment disclosure. Laser-drilling is considered "better" because it is permanent, whereas the filling in fracture-filled diamonds may be damaged, though usually there is a warranty and they will redo the fracture-filling if it is diamaged.

3. No dependable pictures/video of the exact diamond you will receive. The diamond in the video in the eBay link you posted is very tinted, there is no way it is G/H. The company in the second link you provided seems to have a much better product. But you should insist on getting a video or picture of the exact diamond that they will send you.

4. No cut information, which helps determine how the diamond handles light.

5. Miscellaneous other things like fine cloud inclusions or graining that affects light return that you usually need the help of a good diamond vendor to assess.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

babakohlala|1418067878|3797792 said:
THANKS CHRONO FOR THE REPLY , GUESS YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO GET MY POINT

WOULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO STONES ?

OF COURSE THEY LOOK THE SAME FOR ME , CAUSE IM NOT AN EXPERT AND THATS WHY IM HERE

I'M SORRY FOR MY TONE , BUT YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO WROTE REASONABLE STUFFS, DID NOT MEAN TO OFFEND ANYBODY
IT JUST FRUSTRATESME NOT TO UNDERSTAND STH
i seriously think you need to calm yourself down. there should be a rule about writing comments that are in ALL CAPS.
i dont know why people are here answering to your questions patiently without being irritated by your rudeness and attitude

i'm not sure WHY you're so frustrated as people here are trying to help you. if they're not answering your question right, ignore it or rephrase your questions. you're obviously not explaining your questions clearly.

the ebay ring in your link is NOT a G colored stone. if you just simply compare it with the color scale they have at the bottom, it's more like a J/K colored stone and it is SO dark i wouldn't even want it if it was $5.

you mentioned that "the exact same ring if its clarity enhanced is at least 3000$ in montreal". first of all, there are no two rings that are identical. period. plus there is always a markup when things are sold in stores vs being sold on ebay

"If its not treated at least 10000$ (Birks Jewelry)." treated stones are always going to be worth significantly less than treated stones.

and as for the ebay reviews, people who spend 600$ on a 1 carat diamond KNOW that they're not getting a "real" diamond, so their expectations are lower which means they won't evaluate the product the same way they would evaluate a real diamond.

not everybody goes and gets their diamonds appraised regardless of how much they spent on it. i know i won't be appraising my diamond and i'm an engineer too.

i'm still not sure what answer you're looking from us. they're cheaper because the cut/color/clarity of the stones are worse. they're cheaper because they've been enhanced.

are you just here to discuss clarity enhanced diamonds or are you looking to buy a diamond for your lady and are considering a clarity enhanced diamond because of the enticing price? if this is the case i would make sure that your lady is okay with having a clarity enhanced diamond first........

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In the US there's a place called the Jewelry Exchange - they sell 1 carat diamonds for $600, any day of the week. They have annoying commercials that run all year, but REALLY ramp up at Xmas. Keep in mind that they're making a profit on these too........
Get it?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Different people value different things. That, in a nutshell, is the answer to your question.

A $10 CZ can look quite lovely. Really, they can. It can look just like a $100,000 diamond.

Yeah, but those aren’t diamonds. So? For people who don’t value the diamondness of diamonds, it’s the same thing for cheaper, right? Are diamonds ‘better’? Maybe, maybe not. A lot of people here think so, enough that the people who are selling diamonds for hundreds or thousands of times the price seem to have a viable business at it, but that’s not to say that CZ’s are bad or even that they wouldn’t work just fine for you. The folks selling CZ’s are making out ok too after all. It’s simply not the same product. The same thing applies to CE diamonds. ‘Taint the same thing. It’s not even comparing a new Porsche to a used Porsche. It’s comparing to a bicycle. That’s fine if what you want is a bike, but when the sales pitch is that it’s half the price of the Porsche, they’re yanking your chain.

A more difficult part of your question is why some CE diamonds cost 4x as much as others. That’s because there is no standardized grading and there’s no agreement on what makes one more valuable than another. There is no benchmark, even though they’re pretending there is. The GIE people called it G VS1. What do they mean by that? It’s not the GIA grading scale because there is no way to grade a CE stone with that scale. What about that competitive one that costs 4x as much? It has the same problem. There is no scale. There is no particular reason to believe that what one guy calls VS1 is the same as what someone else calls that . It makes them wickedly difficult to shop and the whole of it boils down to evaluating the dealer at least as much as you’re evaluating the stone. I point out that in this case you’re not doing either. You’ve never seen the stone, and I gather you don’t know the dealer from Adam. You’re evaluating a unsubstantiated statement by an unknown 3rd party (GIE).

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Clarity enhanced stones alter the true stone to make it act better. The beauty and the cost of stones is because of their natural color, and inclusions. A clarity enhanced stone fakes it to look like a better queality stone. ....Hence its much cheaper.

As a woman if i found out I had a clarity enhanced stone I would be hurt as I'd rather have a small natural ideal cut stone then onethat has been drilled to remove carbons or color enhanced to make it whiter... etc.

Plus alot of woman upgrade or pass their stones on as years of marrage and taste change. Try to sell or trade in a clarity enhanced stonne FORGET ABOUT IT

hope this helps.

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade

It's probably stolen. Ebay is the world's biggest fence. Does that clarify things for you?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1418062907|3797735 said:
I've never heard of GIE lab but that diamond doesn't even look like a G colour in the video.

It looks like about a O/P/Q color at the highest. :errrr: From the video, it could even be a fancy light brown.

As to why the vendor still has good feedback: people don't know what they're buying.

Why is there such a big price difference? One of these things is not like the other. The $600 diamond is likely actually worth just $600 and someone has lied about the color/clarity/etc along the way to make it look better.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I did a search to find a 1-ct(ish) diamond for near $600.

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=15505801&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

Certificate GIA 2147483647
Cut ROUND BRILLIANT
Carat 0.99
Color S
Clarity I2
Price $ 551.38
Measurements 6.14 x 6.24 x 4.03 mm
Depth Percentage 65.1 %
Table Percentage 62 %
Other Notes FULL REPORT/LIGHT BROWN

So. That's about what you can get for $600. Just judging by the video of the ebay one you posted, that color sounds similar. Since it was clarity-enhanced, obviously the I2 clarity is similar. The cut also isn't good - 65.1% depth!?!? A well - or even averagely - cut 1 carat diamond will face up at around 6.5mm, and this one is more like 6.2, so it would appear visibly smaller.

The ebay diamond is definitely not a VS2 - we know that from the clarity enhancement - and is also definitely not a G-H color or well cut - we know that from both the video and, more importantly, the price. Quite simply - if they could sell this diamond for $6k, and make $5k of profit on it - why wouldn't they? They can't. Because it's not worth that much.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

distracts|1418088003|3797977 said:
As to why the vendor still has good feedback: people don't know what they're buying.

This!

Most of my friends couldn't tell you the 4 c's or even what the specs on their diamond is. Their rings are always grody too and/or they rarely wear their wedding set (a diamond left at home is a sad thing). I care about my jewels.

I have purchased diamond jewelry from 2 EBay diamond vendors with 99.6 or higher positive ratings. 1 item I immediately sent back after opening it. It clearly was not G VS. It was definitely I2 or I3 and I didn't even use a loupe. The 2nd item didn't look good to me but I took to a jeweler just to see if my expectations for G VS were off. Maybe my expectations were too high. I told him that I just purchased it and the jeweler asked if I could return it, it was also supposed to be a G/H VS and it was not even close. I sent that item back also. I happen to (duh- I am on PS) love unique/excellent jewelry and diamonds.

Now, if I look at Ebay, I look for branded items (i.e. Tiffany) or for ebay vendors that I have seen referenced on PS.

Just be wary. If you want to get the stone, make sure that you can return it if it doesn't meet up with your expectations. If you do buy it, I would look at it and go to a B&M store asking to see a stone with similar specs. This way you can compare.

Good luck!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with distracts, are you missing something and need a guide dog because the diamond you refer to for $600.00 is a s@#* brown colour and full of inclusions. When stones like this one are clarity enhanced they take a turd coloured frozen spitball worth about $50.00 to $100.00 fill it full of resins, heat it to set the fillers and maybe zap the black inclusions with a laser. So your $600.00 bargain isn't really a bargain it's an Industrial grade diamond treated by man to look less hideous, given a bogus certificate to sell to morons and sold on ebay.

Your $10 000 diamond by comparison that is the same size really is a G-H colour and an eyeclean clarity, untreated by anyone and certified in a proper well regarded lab.

No-one complains about the spitballs upfront because they don't know they have a stone many many colours lower than their bogus certificate and by the time the clarity enhancement wears off (3 to 6 months or so down the track) and it returns to it's pre Cinderella state then it's too late to write a negative review on Ebay. Hopefully I have explained it in simple enough terms you can now understand.

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock

Let's see if this will work

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=diamond_jewelry_united&Dirn=Received+by

"The colour of the stone is brownish and not G-H"
"Item was not as described got it valued and diamond had a crack down the middle"
"Once we received the ring it looked nothing like the picture or video clip"
"Arrived fast. Clarity enhanced means flaws coated in resin"
"I DIDN´T LIKE THE STONE"
"it's not as I expected ,compare to the first ring , it looks so different"
"Bad experience,wouldn't recomend it... -unless you want rubbish and a headache"
"i got what i paid for but the picture and description suggested higher quality"
"THE COLOUR OF THE DIAMOND IS NOT F"
"The ring was damaged when recived was viewed in close contact cracks appeared"
"I was expecting something more sparkling... Not very shinny"
"Fast Transaction and Shipping. Diamond was VERY poor quality and cut"
"WITHOUT KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT A DIAMOND, IT LOOKED GOOD ONLINE,BAD IN PERSON"

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

babakohlala|1418067539|3797786 said:
I DID NOT SAY THAT I'M IN LOVE WITH EBAY OR I FOUND A DEAL

I'M ASKING THE DIAMONDS ENTHUSIASTS AND EXPERTS TO EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THERE IS A 350% DIFFERENCE FOR ALMOST SAME STONES
READ ALL THE COMMENTS GENIUS
Ask yourself this Q...Who is gonna sell you Filet mignon for hamburger price?... :wall:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

When we were first married 20 years ago my husband ought me a thin diamond eternity for $1250 at an independent jewelry store. I saw what looked like the same ring in a mall store for $200. Even if the quality wasn't exactly the same, I WAS perplexed, like you. I went into the jewelry store and really questioned the guy HOW there could possibly be such a huge price difference, especially when each stone was SO tiny - could they be THAT different. Anyhow - he got out the microscope and we looked at the quality of the diamonds in my little band. He explained that the other band would not be as clear and sparkly - they'd be cloudy and dull. It was an apple vs oranges comparison. If you're not looking at stones graded by a reputable lab, then you really do NOT know what you've got.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

babakohlala|1418065496|3797766 said:
Dude do not get it personal

I'm looking for a reason , I'm trying to understand something that does not make sense
Your not trying hard enough or you don't really wanted to... :wall: You just wanted members here to tell you that it is a good deal... :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results