shape
carat
color
clarity

USA Certed Diamonds & Martin Sheffield...JOB WELL DONE!

knathan

Rough_Rock
I'll start by saying that I'm a complete "rookie" when it comes to buying diamonds (and expensive jewelry in general), and I've learned TONS in the process. I came across USA Certed Diamonds through Pricescope and actually read good enough reviews to go forward in doing business with Martin. At first glance, I couldn't believe how competitive the prices were! I immediately called Martin and gave him my criteria for a stone: 1.2-1.3 carats, JKL color with a minimum of SI1 clarity. He was very professional and quick to send me a list that matched what I was looking for. Now comes the bad part (BUT PLEASE READ THROUGH, BECAUSE THERE IS A HAPPY ENDING!). The stone that I selected had a remarkable price...that came along with an EGL Intl. certification. I wired the money to Martin and very quickly received the diamond within 2 days of payment. Eager to open the package that had arrived, I was surprisingly underwhelmed with the diamond's appearance. To be specific, EGL Intl. and graded the stone J in color with VS2 clarity. Basically, the stone was missing that "fire" and was quite cloudy in appearance. I headed over to have the stone appraised and was asked, "What happened? Why is this stone broken?". Not only that, but was told that he wouldn't even grade this stone an N in color! I was devastated! Worried and anxious, I called Martin to see what we could do to fix this situation. He was genuinely apologetic and quickly sent over shipping labels to have the diamond returned...which he even paid for! Now, there was no way I was going to put stock in some bogus certification so I told him to send me stones that were only GIA or AGS certified...huge lesson learned. The new list came, and I narrowed it down to 3. Martin's advice was for me to actually buy the least expensive of the 3...because it looked the best in his (and his jeweler's opinion). It felt good that they weren't trying to sell me the most expensive stone. It was $1,000 more than the first stone i received, but I now know that you truly get what you pay for. After he received the returned diamond, he shipped the new which arrived quickly once again. Nervously, I opened the package and was knocked to the floor with how beautiful the diamond was! Within 10 seconds I knew that this was exactly what I was hoping for.

Martin was VERY involved throughout the process and was genuinely concerned with my satisfaction. While I may have gotten off to a bumpy start, I would highly recommend Martin and USA Certed diamonds to anybody.

Lessons Learned:

1. BUYER BEWARE when it comes to "lenient" certification labs! I'd recommend sticking with GIA or any other more industry approved certifications

2. You get what you pay for. If a diamond is priced way less than what you think it's worth, there must be a reason.

3. Work with a good and honest salesperson...like Martin! While my missteps in selecting certain certifications made the process harder than it needed to be, Martin stepped up to the plate and recovered miraculously! Thank you!!

I'll be submitting pictures once I have the diamond placed in a setting for all to see!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you had a great experience! Someone here recently asked about working with Martin so hope they see this thread (if it wasn't you!)

Will be looking forward to pictures and specs of your stone!

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Can I ask the specs of the stone?

spicyitalian

Rough_Rock
Never buy EGL INT to start with. That will prevent heartaches and hassles. Glad things turned out well for you. Most other people in such a scenario might not be that lucky.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lesson learned and glad you had a great result! Now we need pictures!

knathan

Rough_Rock
Pics will be soon to follow! The stone that I got had a GIA Cert and is 1.18 ct, SI1, L color with XXX on cut, polish, symmetry. Also, the stone is graded with strong fluorescence which gives it a whiter appearance. From what else I've been looking at, the excellent cut makes a world of difference.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Glad that you have a happy ending. Waiting to see your photos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results