shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with problematic engagement ring nearing exchange date

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I recently got engaged and was surprised by both the proposal and the ring. I'm thrilled to be engaged, but I'm having some issues with the ring and I don't know what my options are, or what my next step is. I apologize for the length of this post but I don't know where to start and time is running out.

In terms of the ring itself, I'll include pictures below. In my opinion it's too tall, has weird upstanding prongs, and a strange "table" of pave diamonds on top. The table and height make it difficult for me to wear comfortably. Aside from that, it's not exactly my style. I am really only interested in antique jewelry to the point of not liking reproductions. I'm not a huge fan of pave, no matter how well done. I had also been thinking about a colored stone ring. In the long term, I would like an antique Edwardian or Victorian ring.

I went to the store to see if I could exchange it. It's a local community jewelry store, not a chain. The first answer was no. There's no return policy at this store, and nothing I'd like to exchange it with. I haven't talked to the manager yet, just a very distant SA. I think that there is an exchange policy on the receipt, but the ring has been sized. This was an upsetting interaction, and I'd rather not go back until I'm sure what i want to do, but the deadline is almost here to exchange, if it's possible.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the ring. Ideally, I would return it and put that budget toward an antique find, even a very modest one. Since I don't think that's possible, I was thinking about getting someone to chop the table off, and putting colored gemstone set in the head, on the cheapest possible budget (since it doesn't make sense to invest much money into the ring).

I also had asked the original jeweler if they could do that, and the SA told me they could but I wouldn't be able to choose the stone. I inquired with several people in the Chicago jewelry district about it, one said he could do the work for about 50 bucks (labor) plus the gemstone. I'm picky, though, and I wanted to be able to choose the actual colored gemstone. I was thinking of going and trying to find a stone myself at Intergem, and maybe even seeing if someone could do the work for me there. This would also give me a chance to scope out antique rings. Because of the table, though, I don't know the exact measurements needed (the outside measurement of the head is about 4.8 mm square).

My other idea was to exchange the ring for the equivalent in a plain gold band (there isn't even any band there I'd like) and eventually sell or trade that for scrap?

If I could argue the store into a return I would, but I am not sure that I can. I know the manager is supposed to be nice, but they do have a clear policy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would be happy with a temporary inexpensive antique for now but am also trying not to lose the money spent on this ring, not to mention my fiance's feelings. He's okay with me making changes, and upgrading eventually, and would be okay with me exchanging it altogether. He doesn't want to lose the money on the original ring, if possible.

On a positive note, I do think that the ring has a good shape and size on my finger, I like it's presence and delicacy. I am wondering (though it's hard to picture it) if it could look very nice with a colored stone.

alyssak

Rough_Rock
Re: Help with problematic engagement ring nearing exchange d

ring_18.jpg

_2241.jpg

alyssak

Rough_Rock

ring_19.jpg

ring_20.jpg

alyssak

Rough_Rock

_2242.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh. Yeah. Prime example of both why the woman should be included in the ring-shopping process and why you need to buy from somewhere with a return-for-money-back policy. I think it doesn't even occur to some men that there CAN be different tastes in jewelry. I'm glad though that he's willing to help make it right and make you happy.

Can you have your fiance try to return the ring? It may go better with him doing it since he's the one that bought it. He could offer to return for money back minus a restocking fee. I'd just try to be reasonable and explain that it's not to your taste and as you prefer antiques there is nothing in the store that's for you. If you have to exchange, I'd try to get store credit so you can get a wedding band from them once you pick an e-ring, or at least a wedding band for your fiance (I would assume they'd have plain mens' bands). (Selling a plain gold band for scrap would net you very little money. Probably less than $50, definitely less than $100. I wouldn't do it.)

It is definitely weirdly sticky-uppy, but as you said is a good shape and size for you (love the split shank). The most jarring thing for me is the squareness of the top contrasting with the curves of the shank and side decorations, but I think a lot of that would be solved by putting a single stone in the top. So if you have to keep it and put a colored stone in it, it's not the end of the world. I can see how given your love of antiques this wouldn't be up your alley at all.

4.8mm square (probably a cushion since that looks more antiquey than a princess?) should be less than a carat - I'd definitely email the Intergem vendors a couple weeks in advance of their show to see if they have anything that size/shape they can bring (I struggle to find one-carat stones there - they have smaller inventory they just don't always bring it, so you have to ask in advance). Unless you want a sapphire or ruby, I can't imagine that it would cost very much. And if you want a heated sapphire or heavily-treated ruby, you could do those on a smaller budget too. I would NOT have the gem set at Intergem - they CAN do it, but everything there is so rushed there can more often be accidents with chipping the stone or items not being set properly.

If you get a replacement ring that's an antique, PS can help you find one. There are people on here who are AMAZING at finding pretty much any kind of ring under the sun at the best price. You'll probably be buying from Ebay or Ruby Lane, but as long as you pick a vendor with impeccable reviews and a good return policy, you're fine.

If you give us ballpark budget for a replacement ring or ballpark budget for a colored stone + type or color you want, we can start link-spamming you. Even if you're not buying right now/online it's useful for price comparisons.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

As for what it might look like, I made an awkward pic in photoshop:

_2241.jpg

alyssak

Rough_Rock

This is amazing! Thank you so much. I love the photoshop! This is sooo incredibly helpful.

I have to say I had a bad experience in the store. I looked at plain bands, but really there was nothing I liked even for my fiance. I know a plain band must just be a plain band, but there really wasn't anything. And, the plain bands seemed overpriced. I don't want to post the store catalog yet until I try to get some resolution, but if you saw it you'd understand. I also didn't have a great experience with the SA, as I think her English was limited ... or she may have been surly.

Considering they've sized it, do you think there is any hope for a return? A restocking fee is a good idea. I will talk to the owner. I am still not sure if my fiance will be hurt if I return it altogether. He's out of town until the exchange date is up, so it's up to me... I just want to be sure about what I'm doing.

Also, I took the ring to various people in the jewelry district here - one of them said that if they were to work on it they would want to rebuild the shank, as it's been poorly sized. Now,I won't be going to that jeweler for other reasons, but does that really matter?

As to Intergem, it's actually this weekend in my city. It's really good to know that I may not find anything small there. Is it worth going? It's a hike. Also, I know that the outside measurement is about 4.8. Without chopping off the top part, will a vendor be able to tell me what would fit? A cushion would be perfect.

My fiance and I would lean toward a red colored stone. A ruby, a spinel (my fave), doesn't have to be perfect, and I honestly don't care that much about treatment for the moment. Even a very pretty almandine garnet or something would do, but that may be too soft. I also like softer colors, too. I would order somethign online but I can't figure out how to get the right size.

I think considering the price of the ring I shouldn't put more than 100 dollars into it, if I'm not going to keep it as my e-ring forever. I know that's a very low amount. But if I get beyond that I can get something vintage off of ebay, maybe not great, but something, to wear instead.

It's not hard to find my dream ring, if I had the budget I would have bought it already. Posting below.

Thank you for everything!!!

alyssak

Rough_Rock

This sold this week at Skinner. Hammer price was 2100 I think (plus 23 percent premium). If I had a budget (and maybe if we didn't have a ring already) I would have bought it. I sat and watched the auction as a bidder! Fiance was pretty relieved I didn't pull the trigger, but this was the one. In a while we'll start looking for something like this.

I used to want something with a ruby in the center (or better yet, as a halo) but this one really spoke to me. And, despite this being a really common style, I don't like any contemporary reproductions of this style. I think the workmanship looks entirely different, even if it's high end or a reproduction company.

I spent a while wandering around the Chicago diamond district to try to find a ring like this to try on, so I could see if I actually liked it on my hand. The closest I got was a very fine Edwardian diamond and pearl cluster ring with a delicate platinum halo, very expensive, but nothing that looks entirely like this. I had a lot of pushback from vendors in dark offices of buildings who didn't want to show me anything until I was "ready to buy". There were a lot of 20s rings, or reproductions, some very affordable, and a lovely OEC I mentioned in another thread, but nothing of this style, surprisingly.

I also have an antique diamond 5 stone wedding band and solitaire set, with what I think are OECs (haven't looked at it in a while, it's at a family home). I didn't ever want to wear it as is, as it's associated with a bad marriage, but I was considering resetting it somehow for my band or ring.

skinner_ring_diamond_cluster.jpg

alyssak

Rough_Rock

And thank you again for the amazing photoshop! I am going to start playing around myself to see what some red stones would look like.

alyssak

Rough_Rock

To give my fiance credit, he asked for a vintage style ring and had been looking for one, and I definitely think this was the best choice for me in the store. But, for now, I would love to put a red stone (of any type that's not synthetic, for this I don't care too much about treatment, inclusions, etc...), cushion cut (I agree, not princess), in either the red purple range or a pinky orange color. Total budget is probably too low? 100 including the work? It could be higher, but maybe I can see what I can find and move it up if I need to.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

alyssak|1354876603|3325259 said:
To give my fiance credit, he asked for a vintage style ring and had been looking for one, and I definitely think this was the best choice for me in the store. But, for now, I would love to put a red stone (of any type that's not synthetic, for this I don't care too much about treatment, inclusions, etc...), cushion cut (I agree, not princess), in either the red purple range or a pinky orange color. Total budget is probably too low? 100 including the work? It could be higher, but maybe I can see what I can find and move it up if I need to.

Some places charge quite a bit to simply set the stone. There is a colored stone forum here on PS and you may ask them about stone options...also, you can look into buying a pre-owned stone of the right size. Then, go to a jewelry repair store and have them work on the ring. In fact, BEFORE, you proceed, maybe see if there is a jewelry repair store nearby you and take your current ring in and see what they suggest. When I was calling around a while back about having stones reset, locally, most places were charging $60 and I found a place that charged $15 to reset a stone!

alyssak

Rough_Rock

MC, thank you. I did find a bench jeweler who would do it for 50 dollars. I didn't shop around too much after that, I liked him. He was also the one who had the lovely OEC I mentioned in another thread.

I'm assuming that's fair considering he basically has to create prongs due to the design of the table? Or is that not a big deal? It seemed reasonable to me.

The jewelers I was talking to were talking about bringing in some stones for me, or providing a stone, but none of them said they could get a cushion. I have been looking online and haven't found anything for sale yet (making my way through the colored stone list of vendors) that's small enough, I'm assuming it would have to be under 4.6 mm on each side if I want to set it flush in the ring (I don't want it sticking up at all). Maybe I should start a thread in colored stones?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes, you can even post in the pre-loved that you're wanting to buy a stone of specific measurements. Be sure to get the exact measurements from the bench jeweler first and have it all confirmed that the work can be done. For $50, including prong work, sounds like a good deal. Did you check Yelp to make sure the jeweler has good reviews? Also, be sure to bring any photos of what you want done to make sure there is no miscommunication.

As far as stones, the colored stone forum should be able to guide you. I wouldn't know what to suggest for that price range!

Good luck!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Alyssa,

Just chiming in to say that a thread in CS sounds like a good idea. Also, I'd visit Intergem. You don't have to buy anything there, but it's worth it just to go see what's available and what the stones look like. And there are vintage jewelry booths there. Heaps of beauties. You could see what you like, try stuff on. There is a little risk of getting carried away when you see all the beautiful pieces in front of you, but I think it's still worth it to go look.

P.S. Absolutely love the antique ring you liked. Another one will show up at the right time, I'm sure!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What jewelry store did he purchase your ring at? What was paid for the ring?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is hard to judge from pictures, I know, but the diamonds do not appear to be very white or sparkly in this setting. Are they in real life? I truly would try to return it for store credit and buy something else later...maybe even a watch if you can find him a wedding band there. Unless this setting is really fine quality, I wouldn't want to spend any more money on it. Return while you can, is my advice.

fabulousfindk

Shiny_Rock

[/quote]

This ring is SO beautiful!!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you can't return for money back and have to exchange, I'd also look through the Stuller website to see if there are any stock Stuller pieces you might want - most jewelers carry Stuller, and if they don't, ask them what stock brands they DO carry and if you can see the catalogues. If you have to exchange and they carry nothing you like, make them order in something you do. Don't walk away unhappy.

Here are some random Stuller pieces I thought might appeal:
http://www.stuller.com/products/121966/?groupId=112900
http://www.stuller.com/browse/wedding-and-engagement/traditional-wedding-bands/?id=2190
http://www.stuller.com/products/69814/?groupId=113986
http://www.stuller.com/products/69816/?groupId=113966
http://www.stuller.com/products/64628/?groupId=33520
http://www.stuller.com/browse/wedding-and-engagement/wedding-bands/patterned-and-diamond/hand-engraved/

Oh and re: your family rings - I think your really need to change your thoughts about them! Think of them like orphaned children. Instead of thinking that by adopting them, they're bringing bad karma to you, think that by adopting them you're bringing good karma to THEM, and giving them the loving home and commitment that they deserve. Poor lonely and unwanted rings!

alyssak

Rough_Rock

I hesitate to mention the store name while still under the exchange policy, and before I speak to the person my fiancee worked with.

You are correct about the diamonds. As to the price, out of politeness, I'll leave it to the your best guesses.

There is really nothing I want in the store, even wedding bands or a watch. It was crowded when I was there, but I looked around and couldn't find anything. I have a potential antique wedding band from my family, and I'm not sure my fiance will want one, and most things in the store are not things I would wear. I don't know how else to describe the merchandise, except to say it's mostly in a very contemporary style.

Maybe it is best to exchange it. If it says they will exchange on the receipt, they should follow that policy, correct?

alyssak

Rough_Rock

Distract, thank you. It's such a small store, I'm not sure that they would carry Stuller. They have one catalog online, but I don't want to out them buy posting it yet. Most of it is CZ and birthstone jewelry. However, they do have some simple milgrain bands or comfort fit bands along those lines. This is very helpful, thank you! You are all definitely getting my morale up about the whole thing.

I do like a lot of what you posted. And I would definitely consider these things as an exchange.Though I don't love anything contemporary.I could see wearing the ruby eternity band as a non wedding band.

And I really, really appreciate what you said about the family rings. The problem is I won't get to see them for a while. But I can tell you they appear to be classic victorian gold five stone and a solitare engagement ring set very high. I'll see if I can find some similar pics. I still think for the e-ring we'd like something we're picking out together, but I think I might use the diamond ring as a wedding band, although it's a bit blingy for me.

How can I find out what the stuller prices would be to get a sense of what I could trade for?

alyssak

Rough_Rock

Diamondseeker, I think I'm going to take your advice and go there tomorrow.

alyssak

Rough_Rock

MC, thank you. I'll see tomorrow what can be done. If I have to keep it, I think this is a good option.

In the meanwhile, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the ring pictured, which is at auction. I know it's not high quality, but it's inexpensive for now (and the right style), it could be a stand in. The issue is the rubies are synthetic, but there is a return policy.

_2249.jpg

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock

alyssak|1354918229|3325784 said:
MC, thank you. I'll see tomorrow what can be done. If I have to keep it, I think this is a good option.

In the meanwhile, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the ring pictured, which is at auction. I know it's not high quality, but it's inexpensive for now (and the right style), it could be a stand in. The issue is the rubies are synthetic, but there is a return policy.

Synthetic rubies have been around since the beginning of the century (or somewhere there abouts). They were all the rage back in the day.

Some of the people on here have absolutely MAD skills finding antique items on a budget that are also quite nice. Why not enlist the help of Pricescoper's instead of settling for something temporary which may not be great quality. I guarantee you they abound out there and you can post questions here about them. I'm sure people here could help you if you'd like. There was a guy on here just this past week who only had something like a $400 budget and ended up with something great he got pre-loved.

*ETA- that item only has an "as not described" return policy* Did you see that part?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

alyssak|1354918034|3325781 said:
Diamondseeker, I think I'm going to take your advice and go there tomorrow.

HI:

You have received good advice so far. Wait until you are provided with options (return, credit, exchange) so it can inform your decision. It is important to get what you want!

cheers--Sharon

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I just saw that diamond and synthetic ruby ring, and i wouldn't go for it. The diamonds don't look too nice, I don't think they'll be sparkly. I'd really advise you to just hang in there and don't spend even a little on something you won't love. In the end, it will feel like money wasted. Plus, try intergem this weekend, see what you like and what you don't. Maybe you'll even see a ring like this ruby and diamond one and figure out whether you like diamonds of that quality.

Good luck!

Oh also, I was thinking -- if you don't like anything in the store, maybe you could use the store credit to stock up on little jewelry pieces to give to family and friends as gifts? Just to use the money somehow and not end up with something you won't love.

*edited for grammar

alyssak

Rough_Rock

Thank you all. I will be going to both the store, and Intergem tomorrow, if I can get there, and will report back. My fiance had a good experience with the manager so my fingers are crossed.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What did you end up doing?

alyssak

Rough_Rock

Well, I did not make it to the jewelry store where my fiance bought the ring yet. The receipt clearly says exchange only, and I didn't want to go in there not knowing what I wanted to do, plus my weekend got very busy. I looked through the Stuller catalog, and I didn't see anything I wanted there. As pretty as some things are, contemporary jewelry isn't really to my taste, and I don't have anyone who would like such a gift (though that was also a great idea). My fiance isn't interested in getting a band at this point, either.

But, what I did do is go to Intergem today!

I started off at Effin Gillim and spent the majority of my time there. I liked them the best of all the vendors I saw. The perfect ring wasn't there, and nothing was inexpensive, but I thought the prices were really reasonable and the quality was very high. They had the widest range of antiques, some of which are stunning, and were generous with their time. I'll post a few pics shortly.

I went to Prima gems too. I was somewhat shocked to be disappointed with what I saw in real life, compared to the lovely photos I've seen on here for years. Perhaps it's a limitation of budget (and it's true, they had no small stones to show me), or imagination, but I wasn't in love with the Mahenge spinels I saw. Regarding an option for my current ring, aside from the fact that Prima are likely too high end, I actually liked the blue zircons the best. They were super sparkly.

Then I went to some random, large gem vendor which sold lower-priced stuff. They had every kind of inexpensive gem under the sun, in great quantity.

Following is a picture of a filled ruby, sitting upside down in my ring, to give me a sense of what it would look like. It was 30 minutes before the show closed, and they said that they would sell it to me and set it for 75 dollars, and walked me to the very harried jeweler, who mentioned something about "diamonds flying everywhere" if he cut my ring (as he would use the existing prongs). I was tempted but I really know nothing about their stones, and I was worried about the jeweler rushing.

What do you guys think about the overall look? I am leaning toward keeping the ring, and getting a super cheap treated ruby put in it, for no more than 100 dollars work included, if I can, even if I have to wait. I wouldn't want to put more than that into this ring, value-wise and I'm assuming that the store won't give me cash back for it. I'm somewhat regretting that I didn't do it at the show.

sorry it's blurry, I have a video but I don't think I can post it here?

_2282.jpg

alyssak

Rough_Rock

A diamond and ruby (synthetic?) ring that I fell absolutely in love with. Too large for an engagement ring? :naughty: It's a good thing I didn't have a budget!

All my other "photos" are videos, I'll see if I can get some stills.

diamondandruby.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I'm glad you spent some time with Efim Gilin, they're where I got my absolute favorite one and only antique earrings from :D They have so much incredible stuff. Is the ruby ring in the pic one of theirs? You're right that it doesn't look engagementy, but love that design!

I like the look of that filled ruby with your ring, though you probably made the right choice not getting your ring torn apart in the last minutes of Intergem. I believe I've read stories of stones damaged by setters there. Even if it's a cheap stone on a temp ring, it still should be set well and not chipped or scratched.

Good luck going to the store, keep us posted! Also, if you do get some stills from your videos, please post! I like your tastes :rodent:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results