shape
carat
color
clarity

I have picked out my setting! (D&T get in here!) And I have metal questions.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Um...would you be remaking your BGD half moom band???? Because I love that band! I would consider it but for the price I could get two smaller ones and smart or not I just want two! Heck, using palladium I could get plain bands till the cows come home. They are like 75-100 a piece.

Do you think the Danielle band is too small for this ring?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, here are just some wedding band options I've had paired up... maybe this might help
1.gif

ETA: well I lost a stone with the half moon band, then I had sally remake into two rings. I didn't wear them enough and one was offsize for me
37.gif
, and still loved bezels, so I asked Michael to recycle those rings into one ring I could wear with this ring so the bezel 5 pointers it is...... I know I'm a nut
37.gif

weddingbandoptionsdt.JPG

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well of those I like the 2.5 milgrained one the best. Go figure! I wrote a response to your last post on page one, we were posting at the same time.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stepcutgirl, I''m going to send you a bunch of pics I took of the rings (they go back tomorrow
8.gif
). Hope this helps. I don''t know how to send more than one at a time...

DSC_0223g.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sholdt semi-bezel left, Freemont right

DSC_0209h.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sholdt semi-bezel left, Freemont right.

DSC_0206i.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

DSC_0207 - Copyj.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ETA. Oops, just the Freemont.

DSC_0191k.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freemont. I took more pictures of this one since it's the one I'm most likely to get.

DSC_0186l.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly, I have to return these tomorrow. This is the third Sholdt setting that I was interested in. I''m not sure if I''ll ask to see it. I wish it had been available when they sent the semi-bezel and Freemont!

22ZZ13.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baby Nurse,
Wow, the settings are so delicate in your pictures and I spy a lovely blue sapphire too.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
My post is about your metals question - your setting choice is lovely!

I wonder if your reaction to yg is related to the copper alloy often used? It could be another alloy or even to pure gold itself (rare but happens).

Not all white gold alloys are made alike. Some use lots of nickel which some are sensitive too, others have low nickel release, some use none (and use palladium, silver). Some need rhodium plating though I find good quality ones don''t unless you want that rhodium look! Most jewelers will work with you on making a non nickel alloy in my experience. You could also get an allergy test done.

I prefer high quality white gold to platinum as I find it wears better and do not like the softness/patina of platinum though many love it! The local jewelers I have talked to love working with platinum as it is lovely to work with but steer many customers away from it as it is often not the best choice for all ring styles even though many come in wanting it without question based on believing it is the best no doubt (when market price shot up for it again due to increased use in catalytic converters demand and preference for it in rings increased again as many equate price with something being "better" though it is more about current demand!). I guess they have a lot of people coming back wanting the platinum plated or having issues with melee etc even if set from other reputable platinumsmiths.

I had a plain platinum band and while liked weight did not like how it wore.I did not like the patina and wanted to polish it all the time!

I have had some white gold a long time and it still is shiny and lustrous and no thinning in shank (a good jeweler should make shank nice and thick anyway!).

Palladium has been around a long time and is enjoying a resurgence. It is closer to platinum in wear than white gold but scratches less easily and stays lustrous a bit longer than platinum though less than white gold. A few people on here have palladium with mixed reviews. I think geckodanni (sp?) has posted a lot about her palladium experience!

All three have their own attributes and pros and cons (which also vary from what other alloys are used with them!) so it depends on what appeals to you. For some that is platinum, other it is white gold and other still it is palladium!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono,
The ring settings really are beautiful- a tough decision! I''m really benefiting from stepcutgirl''s questions! (and the stone is beautiful, as well... it will have its own thread soon)

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Awww, baby nurse you are a doll! If you haven''t packaged them up yet could you show me some hand shots? I REALLY like them both and I feel weird about it because I am a bezel girl through and through and I am racked with insecurity over a prong setting! Ugh...I am still undecided even though the people seem to strongly favor the semi for my stone!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 9:23:31 AM
Author: RaiKai
My post is about your metals question - your setting choice is lovely!

I wonder if your reaction to yg is related to the copper alloy often used? It could be another alloy or even to pure gold itself (rare but happens).

Not all white gold alloys are made alike. Some use lots of nickel which some are sensitive too, others have low nickel release, some use none (and use palladium, silver). Some need rhodium plating though I find good quality ones don''t unless you want that rhodium look! Most jewelers will work with you on making a non nickel alloy in my experience. You could also get an allergy test done.

I prefer high quality white gold to platinum as I find it wears better and do not like the softness/patina of platinum though many love it! The local jewelers I have talked to love working with platinum as it is lovely to work with but steer many customers away from it as it is often not the best choice for all ring styles even though many come in wanting it without question based on believing it is the best no doubt (when market price shot up for it again due to increased use in catalytic converters demand and preference for it in rings increased again as many equate price with something being ''better'' though it is more about current demand!). I guess they have a lot of people coming back wanting the platinum plated or having issues with melee etc even if set from other reputable platinumsmiths.

I had a plain platinum band and while liked weight did not like how it wore.I did not like the patina and wanted to polish it all the time!

I have had some white gold a long time and it still is shiny and lustrous and no thinning in shank (a good jeweler should make shank nice and thick anyway!).

Palladium has been around a long time and is enjoying a resurgence. It is closer to platinum in wear than white gold but scratches less easily and stays lustrous a bit longer than platinum though less than white gold. A few people on here have palladium with mixed reviews. I think geckodanni (sp?) has posted a lot about her palladium experience!

All three have their own attributes and pros and cons (which also vary from what other alloys are used with them!) so it depends on what appeals to you. For some that is platinum, other it is white gold and other still it is palladium!
This is a helpful opinion, thank you! i am going to talk to the company a little more on alloys and see if they might be willing to do a palladium alloy in their WG.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2010 12:57:10 PM
Author: D&T
oh, here are just some wedding band options I''ve had paired up... maybe this might help
1.gif

ETA: well I lost a stone with the half moon band, then I had sally remake into two rings. I didn''t wear them enough and one was offsize for me
37.gif
, and still loved bezels, so I asked Michael to recycle those rings into one ring I could wear with this ring so the bezel 5 pointers it is...... I know I''m a nut
37.gif
I just saw your ETA D&T. I can''t wait! I am thinking if I don''t go the two small bands route I may go with a half eternity bezel band from BGD! I can''t wait for yours!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did take hand shots this morning before packing the settings up to return to Pearlman''s, but they won''t upload on to the computer. Maybe this is a good thing?!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your help BN. I think...think being the key here that I''m pretty sure I want the semi bezel. Thanks though!
3.gif

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful!

sammie83

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/15/2010 11:26:37 AM
Author: stepcutgirl

This is a helpful opinion, thank you! i am going to talk to the company a little more on alloys and see if they might be willing to do a palladium alloy in their WG.
hi! i''m new here and am also considering a sholdt ring. i''m having the same dilemma as you with the metal choice. i am wondering what decision you ended up making and what you heard back from sholdt? i also contacted them to ask about the pros/cons of platinum vs. palladium, and to see if they would do a ring in 18K white gold with palladium alloy (i don''t know if they got back to you, but they do use nickel in their WG), and they told me they wouldn''t do it
7.gif
stinks, cuz i don''t want a ring with nickel
7.gif

this is what they said about plat vs. pd: " I always steer people away from palladium unless cost is their overriding consideration. It''s advantages are that it is inexpensive, stays bright white, and holds a high polish. However, it is very tough to size or do repairs on in the future. Its durability is also untested. Platinum, on the other hand, is extremely durable and easy to size and work on. Disadvantages: doesn''t hold a high polish as well, and is more expensive."

i kind of feel like they might be routing for plat since they would make more money off of it...i mean, why would they even make rings in palladium if they didn''t "believe" in it??

hope to hear from you, stepcutgirl, or anyone else with info :) thanks!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't end up going with Sholdt, but with a custom 3-stone ring...in palladium. I spoke with Aaron at Sholdt at great length about palladium. He had only good things to say to me about it and his only downside was that since it is new (again) that they can't be 100% sure of how it will wear over time. Had I gone with Sholdt I would have gotten palladium and still chose it over an option I had to use WG with a palladium alloy. I feel very comfortable going with PD and the jeweler making my ring as we speak really likes PD. Also, Erica from JbEG told me that they have a couple antique PD pieces in and she can't tell that they have worn much different from platinum. Good luck and go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

PS-It's also personal opinion. I asked both Bill and Julian from Pearlmans their opinions on it....Bill doesn't care for it one bit, when I pressed him to tell me why he said he just doesn't "get" the metal. When I asked Julian he was all raves about it with the exception of having work done to it and he felt it should go back to the manufacturer for repairs.

ETA-what setting are you thinking of?

sammie83

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 5:14:03 PM
I didn''t end up going with Sholdt, but with a custom 3-stone ring...in palladium. I spoke with Aaron at Sholdt at great length about palladium. He had only good things to say to me about it and his only downside was that since it is new (again) that they can''t be 100% sure of how it will wear over time. Had I gone with Sholdt I would have gotten palladium and still chose it over an option I had to use WG with a palladium alloy. I feel very comfortable going with PD and the jeweler making my ring as we speak really likes PD. Also, Erica from JbEG told me that they have a couple antique PD pieces in and she can''t tell that they have worn much different from platinum. Good luck and go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

PS-It''s also personal opinion. I asked both Bill and Julian from Pearlmans their opinions on it....Bill doesn''t care for it one bit, when I pressed him to tell me why he said he just doesn''t ''get'' the metal. When I asked Julian he was all raves about it with the exception of having work done to it and he felt it should go back to the manufacturer for repairs.

thanks so much for getting back to me stepcutgirl! i was also dealing with aaron at sholdt and what i quoted before was what he said. i think i''m just going to go with the palladium as well (the info you gave was so helpful!) i''m getting the fremont setting R472-1PD (that''s the style number on sholdt''s site) i saw it in person and it was very dainty and pretty....simple with a twist :)

i can''t wait to see what your custom ring looks like! i hope it turns out just like you wanted! you had a loose sapphire, right? where do you get loose gemstones from? i''ve never seen them...

thanks again! :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 5:14:03 PM
I didn''t end up going with Sholdt, but with a custom 3-stone ring...in palladium. I spoke with Aaron at Sholdt at great length about palladium. He had only good things to say to me about it and his only downside was that since it is new (again) that they can''t be 100% sure of how it will wear over time. Had I gone with Sholdt I would have gotten palladium and still chose it over an option I had to use WG with a palladium alloy. I feel very comfortable going with PD and the jeweler making my ring as we speak really likes PD. Also, Erica from JbEG told me that they have a couple antique PD pieces in and she can''t tell that they have worn much different from platinum. Good luck and go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

PS-It''s also personal opinion. I asked both Bill and Julian from Pearlmans their opinions on it....Bill doesn''t care for it one bit, when I pressed him to tell me why he said he just doesn''t ''get'' the metal. When I asked Julian he was all raves about it with the exception of having work done to it and he felt it should go back to the manufacturer for repairs.

I''d suggest this as well, when I take my palladium rings to local places they have no idea what to do with it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 2:13:43 PM
Author: sammie83
thanks so much for getting back to me stepcutgirl! i was also dealing with aaron at sholdt and what i quoted before was what he said. i think i''m just going to go with the palladium as well (the info you gave was so helpful!) i''m getting the fremont setting R472-1PD (that''s the style number on sholdt''s site) i saw it in person and it was very dainty and pretty....simple with a twist :)

i can''t wait to see what your custom ring looks like! i hope it turns out just like you wanted! you had a loose sapphire, right? where do you get loose gemstones from? i''ve never seen them...

Jewelry stores, websites (some are listed in a sticky on this thread), gem stores, gem shows, mineral stores, brokers, dealers, etc.

Just a warning though, they are addictive.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This. Mine came from Jeff White.

ETA-Oops...I meant to quote Freke above me.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 4:06:54 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Date: 5/6/2010 2:13:43 PM
Author: sammie83

Jewelry stores, websites (some are listed in a sticky on this thread), gem stores, gem shows, mineral stores, brokers, dealers, etc.

Just a warning though, they are addictive.
No sh**t Sherlock!!! Seriously, seriously addictive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results