shape
carat
color
clarity

Pls help - problems with my ering

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ginseng_girl

Rough_Rock
Hi PS community,

I need some of your excellent advice.

My fiance purchased a platinum knife-edge Tiffany setting from a pretty well known vendor last year. My FI asked them to round out the knife-edge part from about 3 o''clock to 9 o''clock because I didn''t like the sharp look of the knife-edge inside my palm. My fiance proposed and it was beautiful! I noticed the bottom half of the ring was very thin and very narrow but I thought that''s how it was supposed to be. (It looks like the vendor just shaved the height down, thus using less metal than normal, instead of just reshaping the metal to be rounded).

Now, less than a year later, I noticed my band is warping (the same bottom half that is extremely narrow and thin). It''s not warping a lot, so I''m not sure if it''s cause to worry, but I have read here on pricescope that many vendors don''t make rings less than 1.5 mm wide because they are prone to bending. Well, my band is definitely less than 1.5 mm on the bottom half. (it looks closer to 1mm). I don''t do a lot of work with my hands as I am a full time graduate student, so I don''t believe this warping is being caused by anything out of the ordinary on my end.

I contacted the company to see if there was some way I could fix the ring or add more width to it. They said they would have to recast a setting and charge me near $500.

Sorry for the long story, here is my question:

Is it worth it for me to redo the setting? I don''t know if the ring will continue to bend, and like I said, it''s just slight warping - is that cause for worry? I think I''ll have more peace of mind if I fix it, but this would be a big expenditure on my student budget.

I guess I''m just upset because the whole point of going with this rather expensive setting from this particular vendor in the first place was for the quality and trust in name-value. I can''t believe I will have to pay $500 more than what the setting already cost in order to have a ring that won''t bend. What should I do?

Thanks for the advice
5.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ginseng! I went back and looked at photos of your ring (beautiful by the way), but I cannot see what you mean about warping...would you be able to post a picture of it?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think I'll have to see some photo's of the problem area before I can make a sound suggestion, just because I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm not 100%.

I think you're refering to your ring wearing thin on the bottom. But, I could be wrong.

ETA: I took at look at your ring (lovely, by the way)...and I noticed it is plat. Well, the good news is, plat is a very secure metal...and I would doubt if the problem is "wearing" that you could actually "wear thru" the plat band this soon! But, I know how it is to have that "thing" in the back of your mind--for me, it's my plat. prongs--so I would suggest (sight unseen of course) going with your jewelers recommendation. As long as you're dealing with a stand up, honest store I think you're in good hands.

ginseng_girl

Rough_Rock

Hi DiamondDana and ItaliaHairColor~ Thanks for replying so soon.

1.gif

Thank you both for the compliments on the ring. Despite my minor complaints, I still love it and adore it. The setting is really beautiful.

I tried to take a picture just now, which I''ll attach right now. I''m not great at taking pics of my ring and the bending is slight, so maybe you might not be able to see what I''m talking about...

Sorry for not being clear in my explanation...I''m not worried about it wearing through the bottom. If you hold the band horizontally at eye level, you can see the band is twisting (kind of torque-ing) and bending upward slightly. I''ll attach pictures...

Maybe I''m just being anal. If it''s not a big problem, then I wouldn''t mind just saving myself several hundred dollars. But if it''s going to keep bending, then maybe I should fix it...What do you think?

n568445155_2459723_7135.jpg

ginseng_girl

Rough_Rock
The previous picture shows the torque-ing. This one shows the ring bending downward...

n568445155_2459724_7595.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ginseng,
I''m sorry ur having this problem, I think I can definately see what you''re describing from your photos. Considering the *hardness* of plat, I find it a lil strange that this should happen to ur ring so soon. I''m guessing no, but was there any replacement period or warranty from the manufacturer? Or will they not honour it due to the setting being altered?
I''m just brainstorming here, but if u couldn''t afford it to replace now, perhaps you can have it re-shaped instead?
I hope you can resolve this without having to spend too much
5.gif

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
It is really noticable in that picture
23.gif
. You could try flipping the way you wear it, so one day wear it bend up the next bend down, maybe you would get more even wear, and it would level out. I would be nervous it would snap at some point. But platinum is really durable.

Here is a quote from NiceIce website:

Platinum Jewelry is a pleasure to wear and a pleasure to create with. Platinum is more pliable than gold and as such lends itself to a variety of design options that other metals simply do not. Platinum is more durable than other metals. Platinum is stronger, wears better and lasts longer. Investing in platinum jewelry is like purchasing anything else of higher quality, you simply get more for your money when you buy platinum because it will wear better, last longer and requires less service.

Platinum''s density and weight make it more durable than other jewelry metals. A six inch cube of platinum which measures approximately 15 centimeters cubed weighs 165 pounds (75 kg) which is almost as much as the average man! Platinum is also resistant to heat and acids and has a higher melting point than gold (3,223°F / 1,768°C) and requires special equipment for casting into jewelry. Platinum doesn''t wear away as other jewelry metals do, it holds diamonds and other gemstones firmly and securely. All metals can be scratched and displaced however, a scratch on a platinum piece of jewelry is merely a displacement of the metal. The primary difference between gold and platinum jewelry in terms of the displacement of metal caused by a scratch is that with platinum the metal has merely been relocated whereas gold has a tendency to wear away and decrease in volume. If visible scratches appear on platinum, it can be re-polished by a qualified jeweler without substantial loss to the piece. Perhaps this is why platinum has been used to fashion the jewelry for some of the world''s most precious gems including the Koh-I-Nor Diamond which is part of the British Crown Jewels.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, honestly, although plat. is strong, it''s not *hard* like whitegold, it is however very dense but will bend. 1.5 mm is too thin in my opinion and even a tight grip on a steering wheel can bend it. plat. pricing is very high right now so my guess that is why the $500 quote for repairs. I would probably go ahead and get it fixed. it''s still a lot less than a whole new plat. setting.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think you''re right in that they didn''t re-do the bottom half of the shank, they probably just skimmed the knife edge off of the ring, thus causing it to be thinner and weaker. They should have redone the band at the time they made it, to be the same thickness as it normally would be, but with a rounder edge instead of a knife edge. To me, that is a manufacturing fault and you shouldn''t have to pay anything. They should re-do it at their cost as it seems like they compromised the setting''s integrity by just shaving that edge off. I''d complain. And if they dont do anything, I''d post here who the vendor is...Usually that gets a fire under folks. I dont think you''re at fault but my opinion doesn''t mean a lot, just my two cents.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2008 7:41:39 PM
Author: surfgirl
I think you''re right in that they didn''t re-do the bottom half of the shank, they probably just skimmed the knife edge off of the ring, thus causing it to be thinner and weaker. They should have redone the band at the time they made it, to be the same thickness as it normally would be, but with a rounder edge instead of a knife edge. To me, that is a manufacturing fault and you shouldn''t have to pay anything. They should re-do it at their cost as it seems like they compromised the setting''s integrity by just shaving that edge off. I''d complain. And if they dont do anything, I''d post here who the vendor is...Usually that gets a fire under folks. I dont think you''re at fault but my opinion doesn''t mean a lot, just my two cents.
I can see what you are talking about now...wow, the second picture really shows the bend! I agree with Surfgirl, I ddon''t see why you should pay anything since it seems like it is obvioulsy the jewelers fault. They really should have remade the shank, not just shave it down.

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
I would first reshape the setting rather than replacing the setting.

Yekutiel
Diamond Consultant
www.idjewelryonline.com

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Do you carry around a heavy laptop, a lot of luggage or heavy handled things?

Mine bent after 3 years as a "road warrior". Once I got "off the road" I had it fixed, and there has been no warping since....

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Quick q... in your old SMTR thread, you mentioned the setting is from Excel diamonds, but it was set at a local jewler... 2 things :

1. I was under the impression that Excel would only set diamonds in house since they make the basket custome for each stone.
2. Doesn''t Excel warranty their work for life? Are they not doing that here becease they weren''t the ones that set it??

ginseng_girl

Rough_Rock
Thank you arjunajane, sparkles, mrssalvo, surfgirl, diamonddana, yekutiel, lostsapphire and sna77 for giving me your opinions.

I''m kind of glad that you all can confirm for me that there is an actual issue and that I''m not being too sensitive.

Hrm.

Well, to answer some of your questions...

Surfgirl and DD, maybe I wasn''t forward enough, but I did try to imply in my communications with the vendor that I did not believe there had been anything other than any normal wear on the ring on my end that could lead to the bending, but there was persistence on their side that I be charged to fix the ring. I guess I can understand the charge (given the rising plat prices) if the only way to resolve this issue is to recast a new setting...

ginseng_girl

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 8:22:37 PM
Author: Yekutiel
I would first reshape the setting rather than replacing the setting.

Yekutiel
Diamond Consultant
www.idjewelryonline.com

Thanks for the advice - is there a way to do this? The vendor told me that they couldn''t add width but that they would have to recast a new setting. What do you mean by reshape?

ginseng_girl

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 9:36:30 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Do you carry around a heavy laptop, a lot of luggage or heavy handled things?

Mine bent after 3 years as a ''road warrior''. Once I got ''off the road'' I had it fixed, and there has been no warping since....

LostSapphire,

I do handle a rolling briefcase, but I''m usually careful about not gripping the handle near my ring. How did you get your ring fixed? Did you have to get a new setting or did you bend your setting back?

ginseng_girl

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 11:31:14 PM
Author: sna77
Quick q... in your old SMTR thread, you mentioned the setting is from Excel diamonds, but it was set at a local jewler... 2 things :

1. I was under the impression that Excel would only set diamonds in house since they make the basket custome for each stone.
2. Doesn''t Excel warranty their work for life? Are they not doing that here becease they weren''t the ones that set it??

Hi sna77,

1. I''m not aware of that policy - at least I didn''t hear anything of it when we set at the local jeweler''s. They did make the basket custom to the size of my stone - I gave them the exact measurements of the diamond.

2. I thought they do have warranty for life, but it''s unclear on their website whether that refers only to their diamonds or for their settings too. When I told them I was unhappy with the weakness of the setting and that I had it for less than one year, they did not mention the warranty and just gave me their price quote for "fixing" the ring.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
My jeweller reshaped it. There was no need for a new setting, but I think it took him some time to straighten it out. It worked and has been fine ever since.

He said that even the act of lifting up a heaving laptop case on a regular basis (like, not even carrying it but lifting it in and out of the car every day) was what bent the ring.

I can only say that since I've gotten "off the road" there hasn't been a problem since....

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 12:29:19 AM
Author: ginseng_girl

Date: 3/2/2008 11:31:14 PM

Hi sna77,

1. I''m not aware of that policy - at least I didn''t hear anything of it when we set at the local jeweler''s. They did make the basket custom to the size of my stone - I gave them the exact measurements of the diamond.

2. I thought they do have warranty for life, but it''s unclear on their website whether that refers only to their diamonds or for their settings too. When I told them I was unhappy with the weakness of the setting and that I had it for less than one year, they did not mention the warranty and just gave me their price quote for ''fixing'' the ring.

I would press them about the warranty... Although i think a local jewler should be able to reshape it OK...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the warranty is only applicable to setting that has taken place by Excel. If you use another jeweler to do the work, Excel will charge to repair it.

This is from the Excel website FAQ''s

15. What kind of customer care can I expect after purchase?
If you have purchased your diamond and setting from us, we give you a Lifetime Guarantee on the ring if we did the setting. Any necessary subsequent work on your ring will be free of charge. If someone else sets the stone in our ring, we will charge for all labor involved in fixing the ring. This Lifetime Guarantee also holds for all Vatche rings and settings IF Vatche does the setting of your stone.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 8:22:07 AM
Author: Maisie
I think the warranty is only applicable to setting that has taken place by Excel. If you use another jeweler to do the work, Excel will charge to repair it.

If you have purchased your diamond and setting from us, we give you a Lifetime Guarantee on the ring if we did the setting. Any necessary subsequent work on your ring will be free of charge. If someone else sets the stone in our ring, we will charge for all labor involved in fixing the ring. This Lifetime Guarantee also holds for all Vatche rings and settings IF Vatche does the setting of your stone.

That''s actaually a bit unclear if they warranty the setting if you bought the stone somewhere else and they (Excel) set it...

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock

Well any professional jeweler knows how to reshape the band. I also know if you have purchased the setting from excel they would help you and make things right.

Yekutiel
Diamond Consultant
www.idjewelryonline.com

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

it says right there if someone else sets the stone, Excel will then charge to fix the ring. so if ginseng-girl had a local setter set her stone, it would void any excel warranty. demalza had the same issue when she had a local setter set her stone into her excel setting and porosity became an issue. excel would not take responsibility for the defect. this is one reason why i always suggest having the ring maker set the stone. anyway, i still think $500 to remake is a reasonable request and this time i''d send your stone to excel to set so the warranty stays in tact if future issues should arise. i''m also not sure that the bending would even be considered a defect after so much time has passed. could just be normal wear and tear, although it does sound like it was made incorrectly to begin with.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 2:36:09 PM
Author: mrssalvo

it says right there if someone else sets the stone, Excel will then charge to fix the ring. so if ginseng-girl had a local setter set her stone, it would void any excel warranty. demalza had the same issue when she had a local setter set her stone into her excel setting and porosity became an issue. excel would not take responsibility for the defect. this is one reason why i always suggest having the ring maker set the stone. anyway, i still think $500 to remake is a reasonable request and this time i''d send your stone to excel to set so the warranty stays in tact if future issues should arise. i''m also not sure that the bending would even be considered a defect after so much time has passed. could just be normal wear and tear, although it does sound like it was made incorrectly to begin with.

Interesting... My FI''s ring was set by Excel (although we did not buy the diamond there). We should have the lifetime warranty on the ring itself then?

Either way its tough being in MA and goiing to Excel for repairs... They''re in NYC and only open weekday, nd trheir bench isn''t in-house... So its not like you can just pop-in and have the ring fixed while you wait...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 2:55:49 PM

Interesting... My FI''s ring was set by Excel (although we did not buy the diamond there). We should have the lifetime warranty on the ring itself then?

as long as excel set it...

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 2:58:11 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 3/3/2008 2:55:49 PM

as long as excel set it...

they did... thats good to know... although I''m sure I knew that when I bought it 1.5 years ago (and just forgot)....

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was the ring ever re-sized. I had a ring once which was re-sized a lot smaller and this made the ring twisted, I always wondered if it was because the head was not adjusted (it seemed to lean over to one side more and I thought it may need changing) or just the making the ring so much smaller caused it. Maybe the jeweller who was replying here would know. I suppose it was requiring reshaped. I just wondered if something similar had happened to you unless it just was the removing of metal making your ring more susceptable to twisting.

ginseng_girl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your help and advice, everyone. Just a little update...

Btw, Pyramid, I didn''t have my ring resized.

So I wrote the vendor an email with pictures of my band and requested that if this is a manufacturing issue that they honor a warranty. They haven''t responded and it has been a whlie. I''m frankly surprised and disappointed by the lack of communication. I am not going to do business with this vendor anymore due to my disappointment with the whole situation.

Thanks all for your advice again! it really helped a lot. I''m going to have a local jeweller straighten the band soon. I''ll just have to be very careful with my setting until it''s time for a nice reset
28.gif

Here are some lessons I have gleaned so that others can learn from my situation:
- As Mrssalvo said, it seems safest to have the vendor set your ring themselves if you can help it.
- Be careful if you are requesting some variation to a standard setting from the vendor at issue, it might be good to inquire exactly how the changes will be made. I was perhaps too trusting on this point...

Thanks again to the PS community!
5.gif

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2008 4:07:37 AM
Author: ginseng_girl
Thanks for all your help and advice, everyone. Just a little update...

Btw, Pyramid, I didn''t have my ring resized.

So I wrote the vendor an email with pictures of my band and requested that if this is a manufacturing issue that they honor a warranty. They haven''t responded and it has been a whlie. I''m frankly surprised and disappointed by the lack of communication. I am not going to do business with this vendor anymore due to my disappointment with the whole situation.

Thanks all for your advice again! it really helped a lot. I''m going to have a local jeweller straighten the band soon. I''ll just have to be very careful with my setting until it''s time for a nice reset
28.gif

Here are some lessons I have gleaned so that others can learn from my situation:
- As Mrssalvo said, it seems safest to have the vendor set your ring themselves if you can help it.
- Be careful if you are requesting some variation to a standard setting from the vendor at issue, it might be good to inquire exactly how the changes will be made. I was perhaps too trusting on this point...

Thanks again to the PS community!
5.gif

have you called Excel? They aren''t always the most prompt with email responses... I''d give them a last dicth call effort first... If they give you grief, make sure you mention that you''re an active PS member and will post a review of their company...

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t rely on an email for something like this. You really need to call and speak to someone.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results