shape
carat
color
clarity

Who''s a wholesaler?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yahui

Rough_Rock
Who''s a real wholesaler? I''ve heard some internet vendors and some B&M claim to be wholesalers. But if they''re selling diamonds to everyone, aren''t they pretty much a retailer? Are there really wholesalers that sell to non-professionals? Is it a marketing trick? Just curious, thanks to any professionals that can shed some light.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi yahui:

If a company sells directly to the public then they are retailers. A wholesaler is a vendor who sells diamonds to stores or brokers for resale to the public.

If a retailer claims to be a wholesaler what he is probably trying to imply that his prices are cheaper than other retailers - but he is still a retailer
21.gif

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vendors that sell to the public IMO are not wholesalers. Why would someone sell at a wholesale price when chances are that is the price THEY bought the stone for. There has to be a profit somewhere right? I tend to shy away from companies who say they sell at wholesale pricing, because it is just not true.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Exact definitions of "wholesaler" and "retailer" differ only by who is being sold to. A wholesale transaction is always with a party that intends to resell the item and not use it themselves. A retail transaction is to an "end-user", a consumer, the folks who will own and/or wear the diamond or the ring.

The Internet has allowed a tremendous shortening of the supply chain where we now have true wholesalers also selling to end-users at prices very close to to inter-deal pricing.
Many true retailers can't buy diamonds for their stores at prices low enough to adequately cover their higher overhead even if they are willing to compete with Internet vendors. Many refuse to compete. Many choose to make an effort to compete. I think we will see many success stories of B&M stores that have made it work and many other stories about B&M stores that could not compete in this new marketplace.

Obviously, not everyone is happy about this huge change, but Pandora's box has been opened and it will not be shut.

I have a distrust of anyone claiming to sell wholesale to the public. It is illegal in Pennsylvania to make that claim although it is commonly done. All one need be concerned with is THE PRICE being paid. If you have shopped properly you can pay pretty much the same amount as anyone else looking to buy many diamonds. It is becoming much more like real estate where there really is no wholesale or retail situation. Any and all buyers can come and buy at the market price.

Certainly, quantity buying allows lower costs. Retailers and wholesalers who buy in large volumes do not pay the same as buyers of one diamond at a time. So, there is some variation for consumers who generally only buy in small amounts.

Look for the right price from a vendor with a personality and service which pleases you. Don't be mislead by these basically now obsolete terms of wholesale and retail when it comes to a solitaire diamond ring or a pair of stud earrings. The business environment is quickly changing.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Dave, as usual, an expert opinion succinct & to the point. Thanks!!!! I always value the information in your posts.

highendgems

Rough_Rock
i am a wholesale seller of loose stones and fine jewlery but can honestly say the best customer service and price to be found by the consumer online has to ba at abazias. you're in good hands with them IMO.

highendgems/SRI USA

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 12/31/2003 8:28:48 AM oldminer wrote:

I have a distrust of anyone claiming to sell wholesale to the public. It is illegal in Pennsylvania to make that claim although it is commonly done.

----------------

Not just PA--everywhere. It is both an FTC violation and a violation of the federal Lanham Act on unfair competition. Unfortunately, it generally isn't enforced unless people complain.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/31/2003 10:41:39 AM highendgems wrote:

i am a wholesale seller of loose stones and fine jewlery but can honestly say the best customer service and price to be found by the consumer online has to ba at abazias. you're in good hands with them IMO.

highendgems/SRI USA----------------

And White Flash.

And Nice Ice.

And Good Old Gold.

And Dirt Cheap Diamonds.

And many other reputable on-line diamond Vendors.

Check consumer feedback, professional affiliations, return/refund/upgrade policies. Email and chat with a few personally. Find a reputable Vendor that you are comfortable working with.
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 12/31/2003 10:41:39 AM highendgems wrote:

highendgems/SRI USA----------------

You KNOW, we have issues with somebody claiming to be a wholesaler providing a reference to a retailer because it seems like a bit of an obvious conflict even if we do think that the folks at Abazias are GREAT! It just seems to us that as a 'wholesaler' that you wouldn't have any REAL experience as a consumer and thus you are probably not entitled to say that they have the best level of customer service because it is unlikely that you have experienced their service as an actual customer... That would be like our vendors saying that we're great and provide excellent customer service, but they only know us as a customer themselves... Reputation aside, this seems more like a blatant advertisement for one of your customers than authentic advice.

QualityOnly

Rough_Rock
Dave,

What do you think about ebay sales?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results