clarity

what''s next on your reading list?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
11/19/2009 8:19:05 PM
Author: iluvcarats

Just today I bought The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold and Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.
Let me know about Lacuna (that means "hole" in Latin, right?). I loved The Poisonwood Bible and The Bean Trees, but not Pigs in Heaven and I don''t want to read melodrama by Kingsolver :).

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
11/18/2009 11:14:19 AM
Author: junebug17

I am hopelessly addicted to the Michael Connelly ''Harry Bosch'' series...
I think I have read most of them. I have read so many series of escape fiction in this genre that I have many sets of characters swirling around in my mind. When I pick up an old, beloved author I have to try to remember his set of characters and their circumstances. John Lescroart has Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky with their wives and children; Steve Martini has Paul Madriani; Nelson DeMille has John Corey and Kate Mayfield; there are the divorced lawyers in San Francisco one of whom is name Rosie and who has survived breast cancer. I believe that her ex-husband is a former priest, but I am not sure and I certainly cannot recall the name of the author. I would guess that I am juggling at least 30 authors who are still writing just for the pleasure of escaping into the worlds that they construct and enjoying the dialogue that their characters exchange. I do not do a great deal of reflecting about this reading, of course, but I certainly enjoy it!

AGBF
34.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh hey-I have on of Steve Martini''s books..when I''m done w/this Irene series I can read the rest of his Madriani series..I''m guessing there''s more than 1 anyway..been a long while since I read the other one. D.W. Buffa has Joseph Antonelli and I liked those books..nothing out for like 4 years tho.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
11/21/2009 12:05:59 AM
Author: packrat

Oh hey-I have on of Steve Martini's books..when I'm done w/this Irene series I can read the rest of his Madriani series..I'm guessing there's more than 1 anyway..been a long while since I read the other one. D.W. Buffa has Joseph Antonelli and I liked those books..nothing out for like 4 years tho.
I forgot about Joseph Antonelli! Thank you for the reminder, packrat. Now I can go back and catch up on the past few years of Buffa novels, all of which I have missed. It is almost as good as finding as new author! Lee Child was new to me this year, and I am now reading the last of his Jack Reacher books. I went through all of them very quickly...I just couldn't get enough!

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2009 10:16:10 PM
Author: AGBF

there are the divorced lawyers in San Francisco one of whom is name Rosie and who has survived breast cancer. I believe that her ex-husband is a former priest, but I am not sure and I certainly cannot recall the name of the author.
The author is Sheldon Siegel. The characters are Rosie Fernandez and Mike Daley. They appeared in a series of books, among them The Confession, Special Circumstances, and Final Verdict.

AGBF
34.gif

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
"The Island" by Victoria Hislop
34.gif
It must be really good!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
still stuck in the dredges of Ivanhoe - next up will be Eragon

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 5:22:31 PM
Author: dragonfly411
still stuck in the dredges of Ivanhoe - next up will be Eragon

Uggggh Eragon. I know the author is a kid and all, but the sheer amount of sci-fi plotlines he has ripped off in that series...
38.gif

Still reading Alaska. It is a really amazing book. I''m excited to start on Hawaii next.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
11/22/2009 12:46:26 PM

Date:
11/21/2009 12:05:59 AM
Author: packrat

Oh hey-I have on of Steve Martini''s books..when I''m done w/this Irene series I can read the rest of his Madriani series..I''m guessing there''s more than 1 anyway..been a long while since I read the other one. D.W. Buffa has Joseph Antonelli and I liked those books..nothing out for like 4 years tho.
I forgot about Joseph Antonelli! Thank you for the reminder, packrat. Now I can go back and catch up on the past few years of Buffa novels, all of which I have missed. It is almost as good as finding as new author! Lee Child was new to me this year, and I am now reading the last of his Jack Reacher books. I went through all of them very quickly...I just couldn''t get enough!

AGBF

Thanks to your reminder, packrat, I am rereading (and enjoying) Buffa''s The Judgment and I have taken out Trial By Fire from the library. That is one I never read! I forgot that Buffa wrote so well, with such an intelligent sense of humor. I really like writers who make me smile. Thanks for the heads up!

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
11/27/2009 9:13:27 PM

Date: 11/20/2009 10:16:10 PM

there are the divorced lawyers in San Francisco one of whom is name Rosie and who has survived breast cancer. I believe that her ex-husband is a former priest, but I am not sure and I certainly cannot recall the name of the author.
The author is Sheldon Siegel. The characters are Rosie Fernandez and Mike Daley. They appeared in a series of books, among them The Confession, Special Circumstances, and Final Verdict.

For anyone who is interested, Sheldon Siegel's latest book is Judgment Day.

AGBF
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
11/4/2009 2:32:15 AM
Author: crazzycat

'To kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee
Well...how did you like it? It would be great if people came back and commented on what they had read :). I have read To Kill A Mockingbird. In fact, I have taught it. I really, really love it. I not only love the many messages in it, I love the writing, the language, the wit. The very beginning, which bored my daughter silly, is full of some of the slyest social observations that one can imagine, although there is no action. I'd love to hear back from you about this book, crazzycat.

AGBF
34.gif

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m awaiting The Road, it''s coming in the mail. I''ve heard it''s one you think about for days after finishing.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
with my semester about to end, I''ll finally be able to catch up
27.gif

Next semester I''m taking Spanish, and was wondering what others perspective would be of me getting 100 years of solitude in spanish and having both english and spanish in front of me to translate as I go? Has anyone tried this before?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 2:18:03 PM
Author: dragonfly411
with my semester about to end, I''ll finally be able to catch up
27.gif

Next semester I''m taking Spanish, and was wondering what others perspective would be of me getting 100 years of solitude in spanish and having both english and spanish in front of me to translate as I go? Has anyone tried this before?

How is your Spanish? And have you read his work before? Garcia-Marquez is INCREDIBLY dense, and packed with images and subtle shifts that require a solid grasp of language and how it can be used. It''s not a book I would start with, tbh. I found that starting with kids books and working my way up (without translating - just reading in Spanish) helped. By the time I left Spain I was able to read older teen/adult books without a problem.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I am reading Fall On Your Knees right now and have Pillars of the Earth for the plane on Friday. I read it about 10 years ago but only remember one scene. I''m excited to reread it now.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Princess
My spanish is not the best. Thanks for the advice, I''ll probably follow it. I''ve read Marquez several times before, just am looking for a way to start to really learn the language. I''ll look for some children books to start with.

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
"The Magic Circle" by Katherine Neville. I really enjoyed the "Eight" and "The Fire"
1.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Dragonfly, I agree with Princesss that simpler books are the way to go if you want to improve your Spanish. Otherwise, you''ll probably just be bored and frustrated, and you won''t learn much at all. Try something like Harry Potter, Twilight, or a Danielle Steele novel translated into Spanish. The storyline will be simple enough to follow even if you don''t understand every word.

I recently finished Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout, and it was poignant, brilliantly-written, and all-around wonderful.

I''m currently reading Naked by David Sedaris.

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
"Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown
34.gif

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Just finished Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. Angels and Demons my favorite of his.

Now reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel- great read for Tudor lovers.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Help. I saw it was recommended on the Today show. Both my SIL''s are reading it, and love it. I plan on picking it up soon.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great thread.

My book club's next four books are:
The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg (Just finished this. I really enjoyed it. It's pretty light reading, but it did have me in tears more than once.)
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (Currently re-reading this. LOVE it.)
Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott (I'm so excited to reread this classic!)
What is the What by Dave Eggers (Can't wait to read this.)

I also just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I really loved it, I can't wait to read more of her work.

I'm also going to read The China Study. It looks very interesting, and one of my student's ASL interpreters highly recommended it so I'm looking forward to it.

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 9:54:14 PM
Author: Haven
Great thread.

My book club''s next four books are:
The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg (Just finished this. I really enjoyed it. It''s pretty light reading, but it did have me in tears more than once.)
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides (Currently re-reading this. LOVE it.)
Jo''s Boys by Louisa May Alcott (I''m so excited to reread this classic!)
What is the What by Dave Eggers (Can''t wait to read this.)

I also just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I really loved it, I can''t wait to read more of her work.

I''m also going to read The China Study. It looks very interesting, and one of my student''s ASL interpreters highly recommended it so I''m looking forward to it.
Thanks for reminding me of "Middlesex". I had it on my mind 5 months ago but then totally forgot it. I guess this will be my next book
2.gif
It must be really really good!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
I''m now reading Robert A. Caro

Just finished Lyndon Johnson, Means of Ascent and starting The Power Broker

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I just finished Tethered by Amy MacKinnon. The writing was wonderful but it''s a pretty dark book. I''d definitely recommend it.

I needed something light after that so I''m now reading the Kathy Griffin autobiography. Pretty funny so far. But also crass. Just my cup of tea!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl

I''m going to take it on the plane with me to Vegas!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I loved Garlic and Sapphires! Enjoy.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christiana--Middlesex is very good. My mother is reading it for the first time and she said the first fifty pages or so were a bit slow, but it has since become quite engrossing for her. I loved it from the start, but I thought I'd share her experience in case you pick it up and decide to put it down quickly.

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 10:23:35 PM
Author: Kaleigh
The Help. I saw it was recommended on the Today show. Both my SIL''s are reading it, and love it. I plan on picking it up soon.

I finished The Help a couple of days ago, and I loved it! I didn''t want it to end.
5.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/3/2010 4:52:06 PM
Author: CourtHorn

Date:
12/21/2009 10:23:35 PM
Author: Kaleigh

The Help. I saw it was recommended on the Today show. Both my SIL's are reading it, and love it. I plan on picking it up soon.
I finished The Help a couple of days ago, and I loved it! I didn't want it to end.
Good. I'm planning to read that one, too. Right now I'm trying yet another writer of an adventure series: Clive Cussler who has a protagonist called Dirk Pitt (I think that is the name). So far he hasn't reached out and grabbed me (like Jack Reacher), but the novel is still an escape ;-).

AGBF
34.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results